Morgan Cheli | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Morgan Cheli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I could see Morgan playing at the elbow for UConn. She has a nice mid-range game with great court vision. UConn Players need to be able to shoot the 3ball. It really helps us to spread the court. Allie and Morgan will help us next year.

Reaction Score
I see the versatility as a tremendous asset. What position she plays the most I don't know, the 3 might be her best, but from the team's standpoint she is a legitimate contender at 1-4. Evina was like that being maybe the third option at the point when injuries hit, but also needing to play some at the 4 when we were thin there.

The Anna comparison by Husky Nan is also interesting regarding her skill-set, maybe Morgan has a little better handle and is considerably more athletic, but Anna was an elite shooter/passer. Of course Paige has played 1-4 as well. The 4 is stretching it for her, but because of her skills and athletic ability she has amazed there as well. Caroline is a good comparison too. Like Morgan at 6-2 big enough that the 4 is not a bad fit if necessary.

I don't think Paige will be at the 4 next year, and with Morgan and hopefully Caroline as 6-2 options there she shouldn't have too, at least much. I'm sure a more traditional big might be the first preference, but while we have several talented candidates, none have proved themselves at this level, at least yet, so going with a 6-2 player with perimeter skills is a distinct possibility.

Regardless Morgan's versatility will make her a very valuable option in Geno's toolbox. One thing that I think is overlooked a bit over the last few years, is how much Geno's hands have been tied regarding using strategic situational substitutions. With a very short limited rotation managing minutes for strategic rest becomes your main in game function. You can't just insert a shooter, rebounder, defender, or passer as needed by game conditions, because of a shortage of players and the need for a very structured substitution pattern regarding rest.

A very deep bench and enough multiple position players gives him way more options to determine what is needed most at that time. Morgan will help a great deal in that regard.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
it will be interesting to see how the glowing speculations here pan out. morgan has accomplished much so far; i hope she continues to impress us.

i notice, however, that while morgan gets multiple kudos/speculations about her abilities to help the huskies in the future, there is one extremely important trait that hasn't been mentioned. i have no idea if she has it (she may): the ability to be an asset for the huskies when the ball is in the opponent's hands.

physically, she seems to fit the bill -- but from experience, it's clear that's not the sole factor in performance.

therefore, she could be superior on defense or a liability. while nobody knows, i hope the former.

but my real point here is that none of you seem to even be plugging this factor into your speculations. seems to me defense counts heavily in the game, at least at uconn's level.

does anyone have any opinion about her talents on defense?

Reaction Score
I can understand why people get excited about high ranking players coming out of HS.
I don't get excited until I see them play in college against other D1 players, then I either get excited or not.

Reaction Score
Morgan has better foot speed and quickness than Katie Lou or Anna Makurat or Caroline. She's not quite the perimeter shooter Katie Lou was, but she's a good passer and excellent decision maker at the point. I could see her playing the point from time to time over the next few years. But what I really expect is to see the return of the sort of passing game we saw in the Gabby-Katie Lou-Pheesa years. Those teams anyone could initiate the break or finish it. With Morgan-KK-Paige-Azzi-Jana on the floor, we could see something similar.
Ashlyn Shade says hello.

Reaction Score
it will be interesting to see how the glowing speculations here pan out. morgan has accomplished much so far; i hope she continues to impress us.

i notice, however, that while morgan gets multiple kudos/speculations about her abilities to help the huskies in the future, there is one extremely important trait that hasn't been mentioned. i have no idea if she has it (she may): the ability to be an asset for the huskies when the ball is in the opponent's hands.

physically, she seems to fit the bill -- but from experience, it's clear that's not the sole factor in performance.

therefore, she could be superior on defense or a liability. while nobody knows, i hope the former.

but my real point here is that none of you seem to even be plugging this factor into your speculations. seems to me defense counts heavily in the game, at least at uconn's level.

I’ve commented several times in recruiting threads about her defensive versatility. She’s smart, tenacious and can guard 1-4 because of her high BB IQ. She’s been coached throughout her HS career by Sue Phillips, one of the best in the country, so her defensive fundamentals are very advanced. She’ll do fine.

Reaction Score

Hi, not sure what you mean when you ask if she is an asset when other team has ball- are you asking if she is good defensively?

Reaction Score
Can't wait to watch her play. Her best attriubute appears to be her versatitliy and she seems strong. IMO her best position will be PF. Imagine some you can feed the ball from the high post with an ability to not only shoot and not only haing the luxury of having another player with guard-like skils to enhance ball movement, but she will b able to dribble past bigger players thereby creating opprtutnites for teammates. Ball movement with her at the PF should be outstading.

And as a PF will enhoance the press. - She looks like she can guard 1-5 with exception of an extremely quick guard or a very big center. .
Imagine the versatility Geno will have with (knock on wood, Strong), Morgan, Aubrey, Caroline, Yanna! Add Q and our most recent PF sensation, Paige Bueckers:rolleyes: and I’m pretty sure that’s the finest stable of 6’2”-6’1” forwards in the country! Strength, quickness, ball handling, inside & outside shooting and at least two have the ability to play as guards as well! To be fair, Dawn has quite a stable as well, depending on who comes back but Kitts and Edwards alone put them in pretty elite territory as well.

Reaction Score

How about staying healthy?

Reaction Score
Ashlyn Shade says hello.
Absolutely Ash! When I said "With Morgan-KK-Paige-Azzi-Jana on the floor..." I wasn't giving a starting lineup. I was merely pointing to one of the lineups we might see.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Cheli didn't commit until weeks after Geno first made that comment. Still no explanation as to what he was referring to.
Well, that would complicate the theory a bit.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern about getting Strong is that when we’ve gone head to head with Dawn in recruiting top players (think Aja and Boston) she’s gotten them☹️

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’ve commented several times in recruiting threads about her defensive versatility. She’s smart, tenacious and can guard 1-4 because of her high BB IQ. She’s been coached throughout her HS career by Sue Phillips, one of the best in the country, so her defensive fundamentals are very advanced. She’ll do fine.

I've seen a couple of her games plus several highlights on video. She has great anticipation and good length. If folks like that way Paige is defending this year, they'll like Morgan as a defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom