more names | Page 2 | The Boneyard

more names

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I am a bit angry with myself at the moment for viewing the result (Pasqualoni) as an improvement over the initial rumor (Whipple).

I still don't know why JH was so enamored with these two (by all reports, they were the only candidates he seriously considered) but at a time when we could have made a bold, aggressive move to state to the college football world that we did want to become something great we instead took the laziest, most uninspired path to fill a vital job with someone who wouldn't move the needle.

If Whip was correct (when he leaked that he would bring DB with him for the defense), our defense would be the same and our offense would have to be better than it currently is. Yes, Whip is a major ass but all things considered, he would have been an improvement over what we have.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
In the old days, the cops would have told LM & girl to knock it off and don't make 'em have to come back. Today everything is an arrest. Arrest him. Come back in an hour and arrest her. And , for their part stupid childish behavior.
In the old days (not that old, late 1980's) cops in Connecticut did just this and when they (the cops) came back they found the woman beaten to death.

You really should think before hitting enter on some of your posts.

Reaction Score
Screw the sanctimony. UConn needs to land one of these dudes. I really don't care about the baggage. What I care about is that UConn- a program I was proud of for growing up so fast - is now an embarrassment.
huskymedic said:
Suppose you were okay w/ playing LM today as well?​
In the old days, the cops would have told LM & girl to knock it off and don't make 'em have to come back. Today everything is an arrest. Arrest him. Come back in an hour and arrest her. And , for their part stupid childish behavior.

I don't disgaree that's how they would have handeled it during PP first two jobs - but since it's not the days of GDL's youth and you advocate throwing rightiousness out the window - should they or should they not played young Lyle yesterday?

Reaction Score
Screw the sanctimony. UConn needs to land one of these dudes. I really don't care about the baggage. What I care about is that UConn- a program I was proud of for growing up so fast - is now an embarrassment.

But you would be proud of hiring a coach who had an affair with a student? And it looks like he got her a job for that sole reason?

Thanks. But no thanks. There are plenty of talented coaches without that sort of baggage.

Reaction Score
Guessing then that things will need to get worse before the "Land of Steady Habits" really commits to big time football.

Reaction Score
Guessing then that things will need to get worse before the "Land of Steady Habits" really commits to big time football.

Big Time football does not mean you sign on a coach who is a disgrace. Sorry you feel that way.

I know, back in the old days, the University would just tell Petrino to be more careful next time and then open a position for his paramour's sister.

I can't believe you equate pride in a program with hiring scumbags or signing kids who have long rap sheets.

I also can't believe you said you were so proud of how quickly UCONN football grew, when you were the biggest anti Edsall poster on this board.

Reaction Score
I was very proud of what Edsall accomplished from '99 through '04. Couldn't believe that RE had UConn beating Big 10 teams and ACC teams that quickly. The Dan O era had me believing that this whole BCS thing was doable. But then . . . He stopped recruiting QBs and allowed the passing end of a balanced attack atrophy. The UConn offense stalled while the defense continued to get BCS worthy. Sure Donald Brown, Andre Dixon and JT covered up this critical flaw but it was always there. Even in the Fiesta Bowl season, was there a more pathetic offense playing on New Years that day. And that came on the heels of zero offensive touchdowns against South Florida in the title clincher. Just unacceptable offense in todays game. And that's what turned me against Edsall. I saw him relieve C Endres who had some momentum and return a QB who couldn't score against Cincy, gave them nothing against WVU and couldn't score on offense in a winnable bowl game against Wake. That's what soured me on RE. Fact is that bowl game is what we are seeing now - good defense and impotent offense.

Reaction Score
And that came on the heels of zero offensive touchdowns against South Florida in the title clincher. Just unacceptable offense in todays game.

Just so I am clear. You are complaining about a game that not only UCONN won, but a game that clinched a Big East title because they had zero offensive touchdowns. They won the Big East Championship, but that was unacceptable because they did not have an offensive touchdown? Okay . . . .

Reaction Score
Just so I am clear. You are complaining about a game that not only UCONN won, but a game that clinched a Big East title because they had zero offensive touchdowns. They won the Big East Championship, but that was unacceptable because they did not have an offensive touchdown? Okay . . . .

You can put a fresh coat of paint over dry rot wood. Looks OK for the time being. Still needs to be fixed, however. Of course I was happy with win to seal Fiesta Bowl, but extremely concerned about impotent offense. Turns out that I had good cause in the 19 games that have followed - at least against good team.

Reaction Score
How about Nuheisal?
He'd bring excitement..

Or how about Jimmy Johnson? If SMU can get Larry Brown, we can get Johnson...
How 'bout them Huskies!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
How about Nuheisal?
He'd bring excitement..

Or how about Jimmy Johnson? If SMU can get Larry Brown, we can get Johnson...
How 'bout them Huskies!!!!!!!!

Now that would be funny. I don't think that JJ the coach exists anymore though. He's been replaced by JJ the guy who is never leaving the beach unless there is a mandatory evacuation.

Reaction Score
First, lets agree that in the end, money talks. We can get almost anyone if we can pay. But we're a state school, with limitations. BC can spend whatever they want. If we're competing for the same guy--we lose.
Given that, I want an offensive minded HC. Not sure who best fits that bill, but I'd be looking for a HC at smaller program (a la Brian Kelly, Butch Jones) or OC's at big schools (like a Charlie Strong, Dana Holgerson). No NFL guys. No retread HC's from big programs (Ron Zook, Rick Neuheisel). No damaged goods (Petrino, Tressel).
There's a list out there with all those filters. Go.
P.s. I know C Strong was DC at Florida--but that's the caliber type guy.

Reaction Score
It would be great to recruit a well recognized, big name coach or OC.

However, I think that would be difficult at best even to get an interest.

Why would any BIG name coach come to the BE?......perception, perception, perception. I think that would only occur if there is no interests from BCS schools in the other conference.

Why would they want to come to UConn? Consistently rated at the bottom of the league as far as recruit rankings. Has a history of an offense playing like a big time high school program. Plays in front of a fan base that leaves by the middle of the third quarter because of a fear of traffic jams.

And now I'm so pissed off I'll really turn on the sarcasm. If we get a big name coach they'd probably be tagged with the same identity as a number of our recruits over the last 12 years..........no other offers, or "Liberty" also showed interest.

And they'd look to get out of dodge at fast as they can, first

Very sorry about this post, but I've just about had it with the "offensive" offense game plan for a number of years.

I agree that changes need to be made.......just think our glasses may be a little bit too rosey to capture a big name for a number of non-sarcastic reasons.

The new coach may get a reaction like it did in 1999.......Randy who?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
First, lets agree that in the end, money talks. We can get almost anyone if we can pay. But we're a state school, with limitations. BC can spend whatever they want. If we're competing for the same guy--we lose. quote]

this is another reeason why we need to do something RIGHT NOW. BC will be done season wise in a few weeks, we can not let them get a guy first or have a competition. simple warde, get going.

Reaction Score
I think pp was brought on cause Hathaway was too conservative. Look at the hires Pitt made..... Although I like cryst

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I mentioned it in another thread, but a good longshot candidate would be David Cutcliffe. Sad state of affairs when the Duke Head FB coach is a longshot for UConn though.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Jim Tressel might be interested. Working at Akron right now. Not sure how I feel about his past transgressions, but the sweatervest can coach.

he would be a huge get imho but i think he has some type of 5 year rule vs being a HC or something like that. maybe i'm wrong.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
How much longer is the show cause classification attached to his name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom