MNT’s 2022 | Page 27 | The Boneyard

MNT’s 2022

Reaction Score
In our last 6 non-concacaf games we’ve scored 4 goals and 3 were against Morocco

Ggg’s offense doesn’t produce high quality goal scoring moments. Facts. Gonna be tough to get 2 on Tuesday

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We really haven’t gotten anything from our strikers. Start Pulisic Weah and Reyna up top. Or even Aaronson. Something good will happen.

I would do this. I don't know how good Iran is in the air. if they are very good, then this makes perfect sense because our guys suck. Going small/fast would be a good counter. GGG won't do it. He will play for the hail mary of catching lightning in the bottle from one of his reserves and claim he is a genius.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I don’t agree. Why react to their adjustments? We had them on the ropes. A fresh dose of attacking power would have amped up the pressure.

I sort of think Southgate conceded the draw when he subbed in low octane Jordan Freaking Henderson.

GGG was making these subs anyway, so zero points for cleverness. But I would have been a crime to sub in Yedlin only to have Foden line up opposite him and put Rashford in the middle allowing Kane to drop a bit deeper. Once Southgate committed to Henderson and Rashford at their spots, it made it an easier decision to go with a pure defensive RB (I assume that's what Moore was). If he brings in another center forward as Wales did, he might have brought in a third CB and let CP and Reyna roam up top.

At the time, I felt like that's what he was doing and as soon as Southgate made his move, GG made his. Can't know unless someone asks him but that's my opinion.

Reaction Score
GGG was making these subs anyway, so zero points for cleverness. But I would have been a crime to sub in Yedlin only to have Foden line up opposite him and put Rashford in the middle allowing Kane to drop a bit deeper. Once Southgate committed to Henderson and Rashford at their spots, it made it an easier decision to go with a pure defensive RB (I assume that's what Moore was). If he brings in another center forward as Wales did, he might have brought in a third CB and let CP and Reyna roam up top.

At the time, I felt like that's what he was doing and as soon as Southgate made his move, GG made his. Can't know unless someone asks him but that's my opinion.

Putting in Moore over Scally was insane.

His substitution pattern and choices ardd red befuddling.

Reaction Score
I would do this. I don't know how good Iran is in the air. if they are very good, then this makes perfect sense because our guys suck. Going small/fast would be a good counter. GGG won't do it. He will play for the hail mary of catching lightning in the bottle from one of his reserves and claim he is a genius.

We have to get the goals.

Iran is going to have CONCACAF level gamesmanship.

Jurgen is 100% right here.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
could not be more excited for 2pm - hope to see you guys on Pratt St / Vaughans!!

GO GO USA
Best of luck to us. (I didn't expect us to get through, but if we do that would be great!)

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Putting in Moore over Scally was insane.

His substitution pattern and choices ardd red befuddling.

It's insane if you were looking for a goal. Scally has like 3 caps. GGG was looking for a defensive minded RB to shadow Rashford. You can say that was too conservative, that he didn't use the more talented player, but it wasn't an insane choice. He puts Scally in and he ends up giving up a goal, GGG gets murdered for not playing Yedlin, which no one wanted based on his Wales performance, or keeping Dest in who was having a decent game for him. Chaotic but decent.

Moore gives up a goal and he gets murdered, too. So it came down to who he trusted more, which was Shaq. I can't blame him for that. I was 50/50 on leaving Dest in hoping for a goal but worried about his legs against a fresh sub.

Can't be too upset about his decision, especially since it worked out. Moore held his own under direct attacking down that side.

Reaction Score
Turner
Dest CCV Ream Robinson
McKennie Adams Musah
Weah Sargent Pulisic

Ok, here we go. Let's see what we can do.
Don't mind CCV coming in, ZImmerman has the experience but I think CCV is better overall. Hopefully he doesn't have the Mark McKenzie jitters.

Sargent is probably the right choice if you're going for the #9. Would've still obviously preferred Weah Pulisic and Reyna/Aaronson.

No excuses, let's go boys.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
If we are being honest that is about as ugly as a team can possibly look while still advancing.
Got 3 results in 3 games. Should have beat Wales, but it was always going to require beating Iran.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm happy we advanced. Didn't expect it. But damn Gregg, WTH????? And worse why are the assistants letting it happen????

Reaction Score
That was an exciting game. This is also the 3rd game is several days. If Berhalter felt our guys up top were gassed, there's no point in continuing to push upfield, then defensive substitutions was the right idea.

Musah, Weah, Adams, Robinson to a degree. They didn't seem to have much left.

Reaction Score
I don't follow the team as much as many of you. But man, there is a dropoff in talent as we get deeper in the subs. Every sub seemed to lower our skill set a bit more.
  • Our main guys are really solid to great. I think Robinson was too amped up. Some really bad touches as LIuconn mentioned. But Pulisic, McKennie, Dest, etc. pass the eye test.
  • Aaronson was the one example of a sub that seemed just as strong as the starters.
  • I don't usually love Sargent. I thought he played well (although he may be better defensively than as a striker. Hes just not dynamic).
  • I thought Zimmerman played well in the air (on the whole) when he came in. He cost us the game against Wales so he had keep us in the lead.
  • Why was Shaq Moore in the game? He just doesn't belong on the field during an important World Cup moment.
  • I liked Haji Wright... until that last minute scuffed shot that could've been taken to the corner. That's not a lack of experience, that's hubris. Even my high school son would know to take it to the corner (but he might not).
  • I don't think I've seen CCV before. I'm not sure what to think of him. I was a bit worried that he was going to tackle (American football) someone at the wrong time. I respect that he was very physical, but controlled his fouling. Then I saw he plays for Celtic and was glad he didn't think Iran was Rangers.
  • I really hate our attack. It doesn't fit our players. We play like we're old school Germany with cross after cross. Half our guys are below 5'9".
  • Do we really know what's up with Reyna? Does Berhalter just hate him, or is he really hurt or worse than we all think? I don't get it.
But, we're through. I was expecting a tie from before the game and right until the whistle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom