Mike DiMauro, Jeff Jacobs, & Joe Zone want to meet u guys | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mike DiMauro, Jeff Jacobs, & Joe Zone want to meet u guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Namecalling is always a dicey proposition when it gets into the public discourse, even if you're quoting someone else's opinion. Maybe the lesson is that if it distracts from an objective asessment of the guy's work, or his provable statements then just let it lie.

This is fair. Lesson learned.

I still don't get why these men are getting so bent out of shape over it though. I've been called plenty of names on the boneyard and don't feel the need to find out why or what the offender's real name is.

Apologies to all whom I offended and for whatever reason they were offended. I have too much going on in my real life to give this any more thought.

Reaction Score
Namecalling is always a dicey proposition when it gets into the public discourse, even if you're quoting someone else's opinion. Maybe the lesson is that if it distracts from an objective asessment of the guy's work, or his provable statements then just let it lie. The easiest way to let a guy off the hook for being biased, uninformed, thin-skinned etc. , is going beyond that to use a perjorative which paints him as the victim of anonymous smears. Now if the guy makes a statement that proves it, an honest characterization opens the door pretty wide.

It's an interesting subject sure to come up more and more with no clear ground rules about criticizing one guy, or smearing an entire board based on one or two comments.

I think this is exactly right. My namecalling took away from the fact that Joe Zone is a know-nothing blow hard and made him the victim in all of this. Not to mention my comments were out of line to begin with.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hmmn, this could get interesting. What exactly can you say about a reporter? Are ill-informed, self-obsessed, lazy okay? How about flame-throwing attention seeker? What about whiner? I think that the do and don't list could get pretty interesting.

By the way, anyone else wonder if Jeff did a search of Doggy and Digger posts, and after coming up empty, went looking for something meatier?

Ironically, each of Jacobs and DiMauro admitted to 'hitting the wrong volume' in a column as professional writers and then came back complained that non-professionals did exactly the same thing in a much less formal forum. I thought it was interesting.

For what it is worth, since the Boneyard came to them, shouldn't they return the favor by coming by here? I don't know the names that they lurk under, but we could set up accounts for that thread or chat. It helps them by generating more interest in their columns and it helps the board by generating traffic to the site. Win/win.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hmmn, this could get interesting. What exactly can you say about a reporter? Are ill-informed, self-obsessed, lazy okay? How about flame-throwing attention seeker? What about whiner? I think that the do and don't list could get pretty interesting.

By the way, anyone else wonder if Jeff did a search of Doggy and Digger posts, and after coming up empty, went looking for something meatier?

Ironically, each of Jacobs and DiMauro admitted to 'hitting the wrong volume' in a column as professional writers and then came back complained that non-professionals did exactly the same thing in a much less formal forum. I thought it was interesting.

For what it is worth, since the Boneyard came to them, shouldn't they return the favor by coming by here? I don't know the names that they lurk under, but we could set up accounts for that thread or chat. It helps them by generating more interest in their columns and it helps the board by generating traffic to the site. Win/win.

I believe the industry term is, "hack."

Reaction Score
Unlike the reporters, the Boneyard holds its own accountable for their opinions.

When one Boneyarder says the Huskies have no talent, another Boneyard will come back with the names of the players in the NFL and stats on all conference players.

When a reporter defends Pasqualoni by writing the cupboard was bare, he answers to no one, he states his unsupported opinion and moves on blissfully unaware of the stupidity of his scribbling.

Reaction Score

I still don't get why these men are getting so bent out of shape over it though. I've been called plenty of names on the boneyard and don't feel the need to find out why or what the offender's real name is.

Apologies to all whom I offended and for whatever reason they were offended. I have too much going on in my real life to give this any more thought.

I'm not offended, just thinking aloud about the dynamics in play. I'm a Fireman and we spend all day calling each other much worse. Keeps us accountable but usually stays in the house.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
It was a nice piece. The yarders from grandma's women's yard did okay.
Good for them. They really did not defend Jimmy Serrano to any extent.
Should they? Just to say the football board is more testerone like? ( my words) so that is why the comments are more harsh? I don't know, to me thos was a set up. Big time programs need boosters and bloggers to see thos as it was. A set up.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

It's almost as if it is Dimauro and Jacobs first time on the internet.

This place is positively tame, comparatively speaking.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Should they? Just to say the football board is more testerone like? ( my words) so that is why the comments are more harsh? I don't know, to me thos was a set up. Big time programs need boosters and bloggers to see thos as it was. A set up.
Well Jacobs was smart about what he did. They went looking for posts that were difficult to defend. I think DD was smart to deflect and move on. You don't need to engage when the ground isn't favorable.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I couldn't defend what he said. Jimmy has since apologized publicly to Zone.

Reaction Score
I couldn't defend what he said. Jimmy has since apologized publicly to Zone.

I thought you handled that well FWIW. It's not fair to expect you to defend my comment. I do agree with Alum in that it was a set up, and you guys handled it as well as you possibly could.

Reaction Score
Someone hook me up with a journalism gig at a major media outlet to represent UConn. Give me a shot.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched the video, but maybe I will at some point. Probably not, actually. I just find this whole situation so amusing. Leaving aside the appearance of clear bias toward certain collegiate programs.....all it does for me, is prove yet again, without a doubt that we have a major thing lacking for UCONN football, and that will only improve with time and people, and that is adequate media support. Those guys give the appearance, through media and writing, to know almost nothing about football. I'm pretty sure Jacobs has actually admitted it in columns, which hey - at least he can admit it.

It seems to me, that the road to adequate media coverage for UCONN football goes through New Haven and Fairfield county down toward New York. That makes sense, since football in New Haven, and over to the Naugatuck valley actually does matter to people, and has for a long, long time.

I hope, and it's probably a guarantee that they are reading this, that they actually take some time to learn about the game of football. Randy Edsall - God bless him, actually brought media members into the film rooms to try to teach them.......where else does that happen?

Only with guys like these covering UCONN football.

Reaction Score
The high school scene along the coast gets more respect than UConn in papers along the coast.

Reaction Score
The high school scene along the coast gets more respect than UConn in papers along the coast.

I don't know about that. Coverage? Maybe. What the people that actually know football recognize, is good football and bad football. UCONN has been bad the past 3 seasons. We win, and we play good football, and the coverage improves - from the people that understand the game.

That's the thing that these basketball writers and basketball fans don't get. For 130+ years and counting, football is the sport that involves the MOST youth, the MOST parents, the MOST friends, family as spectators of any sport - all that = readership - dedicated readership. At the youth levels and up to the top levels. College football, in particular, has had a unique relationship with media for the entire duration. Media and football go hand in hand, and always have and always will. The manner (and volume - readership) in which a college football program is covered by local media is always hand in hand with the football program itself. Adversarial relationships for media and football programs are never a good thing, for either party.

These guys just have no appreciation for the history of the game of football, as it applies to their own profession of sport writing.

The kid that was covering the games and doing his best to actually look at the film has a better understanding of what questions to ask, what can help the program (and his readership) and what won't - than these guys do. Eventually, new will replace the old. In the meantime, all there is to do, is hope that the guys that cover sports, actually start to take some time to learn about the game.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I have to be honest, I read this thread on the train today because it was "new".

I live in the ffld cty part of the state where I get my news via the NY channels and not the locals like 8 & 3. I miss those days actually.

Anyhow, I had no clue what a Joe's Zone was until this thread and then I see a local commercial on TBS during the tournament.

Is this the infamous Joe's Zone?

zone.JPG
's

He looks like Norm McDonald, if he were Newman and Ron Popeil's baby.

Reaction Score
Mike DiMauro sitting posture reminds me of Billy Bob Thorton's character in Slingblade? Seriously, if they are going to put print guys on TV please give them some basic media training and hey CPTV that set doesn't help them out any. Put a desk in front of those people so they are hidden from the waist down, there's a reason that it's done like that. I'm not local so this is my first exposure to this show, but good god it looks like its a farm report.....I was waiting for the update on corn and hog futures.

Reaction Score
Internet forums are like a work in progress and the anonymous aspect allows people to go beyond normal conventions that every once in while create interesting, witty or highly entertaining things. It also gives equal footing to everyone which is probably not a good thing in discourse, however it is kept in check by the masses berating each other. That is the essence of the personal attacks that go on. Journalists are single voices that poke at the bear with impunity so the flaming will be probably be even worse for them, the best response would be not to give any legitimacy by commenting on it. Although I’ll admit it's more entertaining if they do comment.

Reaction Score
I'm on my iPad and don't think I can make a direct link, sorry.

DoggyDaddy and diggerfoot, who post most frequently on the women's board, went on CPTV's Beyond the Beat show to respond to DiMauro's on air comment that the Boneyard had the "dumbest" fans. Theface to face meeting is in a video tacked to the top of the women's board. Anyway, it seems their biggest beef is with you guys (Jimmy Serrano got called out by name). They'd be interested in having the Boneyard on again and mentioned bringing someone from the football board. It could probably be arranged.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/beyond-the-beat-by-version-direct-link-included.54617/

Try this link to the thread with the video.

Hey, it's a Convention! I'm not going.

Reaction Score
I actually tried to watch the video. I started from the beginning and it wasn't very interesting for me. Then I ffw'd to the section that somebody gave the cliffs notes version on, and it's just amazing, and I didn't finish that part of the video either.

We are a very unique sports culture here in CT around our huskies. Jmoney summed it up perfect I think. What a strange video. Where else does this happen? Anywhere in the country? Nope.

You know what I kept thinking watching it? I don't remember the actual game, but at some football game in the not too distant past, Geno went out on the field at half with the microphone and gave some kind of rally speech, and the crowd went nuts. I do remember having some friends w/ me, that were incredulous that the women's basketball coach would be at the game, let alone on the field at all, and never mind be speaking to the entire crowd from the field, and firing them up. Where else other than CT?

We're all Huskies though. Us. Them. Everybody.

"Enjoy the show and please remember people, that no matter who you are, and
Whatever you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some
Things that make us all the same:
You, me, him, them -- everybody, people, everybody!

-Elwood Blues

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You know what I kept thinking watching it? I don't remember the actual game, but at some football game in the not too distant past, Geno went out on the field at half with the microphone and gave some kind of rally speech, and the crowd went nuts. I do remember having some friends w/ me, that were incredulous that the women's basketball coach would be at the game, let alone on the field at all, and never mind be speaking to the entire crowd from the field, and firing them up. Where else other than CT?

Anyplace that has a team as successful as Geno's. They love Summitt in Tennesseee and that's SEC territory. But we get your point, women's sports are to be treated with derision. I disagree.

Reaction Score
Anyplace that has a team as successful as Geno's. They love Summitt in Tennesseee and that's SEC territory. But we get your point, women's sports are to be treated with derision. I disagree.

Who's we? And why such tone? Why do you assume I meant something negative? There was nothing negative in anything I wrote - unless you are looking for something to harp on because you are insecure for some reason about women's athletics. I'm not. I'm very proud of our women's athletics program, and the women's basketball program is second to none in the entire country.

What Geno did that day and for the life of me I can't recall what game it was - that's alarming because it's totally blank........but no matter - he did do it, and it was impressive....made big impression in a good way. Only somebody with some negative issues would immediately assume what I wrote was meant to be negative toward women's athletics.

Tennessee is probably the only place that would even come close to the intercollegiate sports culture that we have involving women's athletics, although I think Notre Dame is probably closer these days, and I know that Pat Summitt is battling some serious health issues and that stinks. When was the last time that Pat Summitt addressed the entire crowd at Neyland Stadium from the field in a close game? How about McGraw? Is she making gameday speeches in the shadow of TD Jesus? If either has, it's news to me.

What we have in CT is an entirely unique intercollegiate sports culture around the Huskies, and it's good to be unique. What we lack is sports writers that seem to know much about the sport of football -but they are writers, not fans.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Who's we? And why such tone? Why do you assume I meant something negative? There was nothing negative in anything I wrote - unless you are looking for something to harp on because you are insecure for some reason about women's athletics. I'm not. I'm very proud of our women's athletics program, and the women's basketball program is second to none in the entire country.

What Geno did that day and for the life of me I can't recall what game it was - that's alarming because it's totally blank...but no matter - he did do it, and it was impressive....made big impression in a good way. Only somebody with some negative issues would immediately assume what I wrote was meant to be negative toward women's athletics.

Tennessee is probably the only place that would even come close to the intercollegiate sports culture that we have involving women's athletics, although I think Notre Dame is probably closer these days, and I know that Pat Summitt is battling some serious health issues and that stinks. When was the last time that Pat Summitt addressed the entire crowd at Neyland Stadium from the field in a close game? How about McGraw? Is she making gameday speeches in the shadow of TD Jesus? If either has, it's news to me.

Totally agree with this. The only other similarity I can think of was Maggie Dixon standing up in front of all the cadet's at West Point to talk about the need for Women's support. They packed the house out for Army's games after that. Really unfortunate she passed away.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I actually tried to watch the video. I started from the beginning and it wasn't very interesting for me. Then I ffw'd to the section that somebody gave the cliffs notes version on, and it's just amazing, and I didn't finish that part of the video either.

We are a very unique sports culture here in CT around our huskies. Jmoney summed it up perfect I think. What a strange video. Where else does this happen? Anywhere in the country? Nope.

We're all Huskies though. Us. Them. Everybody.

"Enjoy the show and please remember people, that no matter who you are, and
Whatever you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some
Things that make us all the same:
You, me, him, them -- everybody, people, everybody!

-Elwood Blues

Carl,

Your friends sound like troglodytes. Geno is a nationally known coach, he's pretty much transcended sports.

Reaction Score
Carl,

Your friends sound like troglodytes. Geno is a nationally known coach, he's pretty much transcended sports.

Troglodytes. I like that. I will use that. "The Troglodytes." FWIW: I don't recall writing that anyone was asking me who he was when I conveyed the story. I agree that Geno is right popular. Well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom