Michigan AD confirms they will honor 2013 game.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Michigan AD confirms they will honor 2013 game....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let me put it this way - IF....Michigan chooses to schedule NYC in the future....is there anyone in their right mind that believes they would choose to seek out UCONN to play in Met-Life or Yankee Stadium over Notre Dame?

We are in position to pitch a deal, and close on it, that would be huge for us, and give Michigan their entry into the New York market. If we let this scheduling partnership expire and fall through the floor and end after 2013 without actively pursuing it for the future...and the only way we pursue it through NYC.....then Warde Manuel is no better when it comes to being the AD of a major football playing school at 1-A, than Hathaway was.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
He has Michigan ties, I'm sure the subject will come up. We just have no idea whether any amount of #BeggingHarder will make them want to play us again... and that won't necessarily be a reflection on Manuel. But I'm sure the subject will be brought up.

Reaction Score
He has Michigan ties, I'm sure the subject will come up. We just have no idea whether any amount of #BeggingHarder will make them want to play us again... and that won't necessarily be a reflection on Manuel. But I'm sure the subject will be brought up.

I agree. I think Manuel knows what he's doing, and I think he's going to be doing whatever he can to extend the Michigan scheduling beyond 2013. I basically wrote that for effect.

What cannot happen, is that the University and fan base walk away from New York City at this point in time. It was ok in 2006-2007, but if we don't get in now, we're going to on the outside of the party looking in again, when it comes to somethign around college football.

We need to get into the city, and we've got what I think is a golden opportunity to do so, and not by scheduling the likes of Army - as Rutgers has done, but by doing what Syracuse has done, and go out and get a program on the ticket that has a national profile and major share of New York.....AND do it better than Syracuse did - by not compromising our own home schedule at Rentschler iwth a slate of unattractive games.

That's where having the wide open futures right now becomse a positive rather than a negative for us. We can go out and aggresseively pursue scheduling a Michigan (or other program), in New York City in the future, and still get 6 home games, that feature the NC States, and Marylands, and Vanderbilts, Tennessee's and Michigan's coming to Rentschler.

I suppose I should leave this alone now. The Michigan AD has said he'll honor the 2013 game and Michigan will be at Rentschler in Sept 2013.

Reaction Score
.....but suggests another venue at least be considered.....

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-f...-to-go-on-as-planned-expects-pac-12-opponent/

Michigan would want to play this game at the old Memorial Field? Seriously? What other venue change could they possibly be suggesting since Rentschler Field is UConn's home stadium? Did the Huskies asked to have the '10 game played in Detroit at Ford Field? No, they played at Michigan's home field.

No way to anything but UM coming to East Hartford. That is a huge part of UConn getting respect as a legit BCS program.

Going forward, if Michigan wants a long term deal . . . sure one of the games could be at Yankee Stadium or better yet - a 1-2-1 series with two games in the Bronx. Other than that . . . take a hike. Unless!!! Unless, it could solicit their influence to get UConn a conference invite . . . at which point I'm all in for whatever they'd like in the short-term.

Reaction Score
FYI:
Syracuse is playing USC in NY in 2012. They're playing Penn State in NYC in 2013. They're playign Notre Dame in NYC in 2014 and 2016. All at Met-Life Stadium.

I'd like to see UConn figure out a way to line something similar up with MIchigan involved, and others, at Yankee Stadium.

That's carving out a market share in New York City with scheduling, and it's omething they've moved on quickly, while they've got lots of other scheduling contracts in place for the carrier dome out of conference.

If you look at Syracuse's non-conference schedule at the Carrier Dome.....they're alienating the locals upstate.

We don't have to do that, b/c we've got so few scheduling contracts in place right now for Rentschler out of conference in the future. WE can still find plenty of room to bring in high profile names to Rentschler in the future as well.

When it comes to major college football...and being the athletic director.......scheduling is priority #1. Scheduling is what put Buffalo on the map for Warde Manuel. UMass is hell bent on scheduling right now. UConn needs to change our mode of operating. We refused to get bent over by Notre Dame years ago, but times have changed. We don't need to bend over anymore and can actually be part of a negotiation, that can benefit two sides of a coin.

I've got to shut off the computer now - later.

Reaction Score
FYI:
Syracuse is playing USC in NY in 2012. They're playing Penn State in NYC in 2013. They're playign Notre Dame in NYC in 2014 and 2016. All at Met-Life Stadium.

I'd like to see UConn figure out a way to line something similar up with MIchigan involved, and others, at Yankee Stadium.

Last check Syracuse was located in New York state, UConn was not. Let's not get crazy exporting games. That's part of the problem with the Big East. . . it's a basketball conference with some football, it's got a program that's in the conference, but just not in all sports, it's a huge conference in hoops that has extinguished to a huge degree hot-blooded rivalries, it has a team now on the Pacific Coast, the Canadien Border (out west), Texas and is hopeful to get a football only school (Navy).

And people here, criticize the ACC?

Reaction Score
Ignorin the most powerful market forces in college athletics is what got the big east to the situation it's in right now in 2012, vs. what it could have been......and uconn was right in line all along up until Herbst and Manuel arrived. Ignoring the power of the new york city market, and what's happening in it right now with college football, would be a bad mistake. making the moves that syracuse has made is not what we have to do, we have the opportunity to continue to bring high profile teams into Rentschler, and also carve our slice out of new york.

Have you looked at our future schedules? We have ZERO teams scheduled for 2014. We have 1 OOC game schedule in 2015. We have 2 OOC games scheduled in 2016. We have 1 OOC game scheduled in 2017. This is a problem that needs to be fixed. Very fast. It's a huge weakness that was left unaddressed by Hathaway. We menaged to land Michigan and Tennessee a few years ago, and renewed a Virginia home and home, and essentially nothing was done with future scheduling that is evident for fans to see.

That problem, can be turned into a big strength for us, if we can get into New York. B/c we'll have the room to continue to have a nice home game slate at Rentschler, in addition to building the profile in NYC and nationally with programs that want to play in NYC.

I don't get what's so hard to comprehend about this. I'm not saying anything that compromises the value of our home field, am talking about how to strengthen and build our football brand, and make our home stronger.

Last check Syracuse was located in New York state, UConn was not. Let's not get crazy exporting games. That's part of the problem with the Big East. . . it's a basketball conference with some football, it's got a program that's in the conference, but just not in all sports, it's a huge conference in hoops that has extinguished to a huge degree hot-blooded rivalries, it has a team now on the Pacific Coast, the Canadien Border (out west), Texas and is hopeful to get a football only school (Navy).

And people here, criticize the ACC?

pj

Reaction Score
If indeed Michigan wants to play in NYC, then UConn should be thrilled at the opportunity to schedule another 2-game series, one at Michigan and one in NYC. That would be huge for the UConn football brand. In the meantime, thank you, Michigan, for honoring the contract to play at the Rent. That's huge for UConn and a generous gesture from the Wolverines.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
... and a generous gesture from the Wolverines.

No, it's not. It's payment for services rendered. We were generous playing them in the first place. UM was desperate for an opening game. We gave them what they were looking for, a game against a team ith a nationally know name. They aren't doing us a favor. They owe. Pay up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ignoring the power of the new york city market, and ....

Constantly repeating yourself doesn't make your (poor) point any more valid. This game in NYC or E. Rutherford would be forgotten by that "market" approximately 5 minutes after the final play. The Wolverines coming to The Rent would be the biggest day in the history of the program. The positive effects would last for years.

Reaction Score
Constantly repeating yourself doesn't make your (poor) point any more valid. This game in NYC or E. Rutherford would be forgotten by that "market" approximately 5 minutes after the final play. The Wolverines coming to The Rent would be the biggest day in the history of the program. The positive effects would last for years.

Well said. A couple of years from that game, a lot of folks (non-UConn fans) would remember seeing Michigan but not able to remember who they played.

Reaction Score
Well said. A couple of years from that game, a lot of folks (non-UConn fans) would remember seeing Michigan but not able to remember who they played.

Yes, Yes and Yes. Cuse is from NY with a huge fanbase in NYC and the historic media connections. Throwing Buffalo and UMass into the equation for us to emulate is worse than the trailer mentality we worked so hard to shed. Honor the contract and we work on the future if there is one. Do we still think so little of ourselves that holding someone to a contract is optional for them but an obligation for us? The Michigan game is a huge opportunity to build something here and what we should be focusing on is marketing the heck out of it to send a message that we can promote the game and add as much of an big event atmosphere as we've ever seen in CT.

Reaction Score
the Michigan AD said exactly what I said. They want to play all their non-conference games except Notre Dame every other year, at Michigan Stadium. They want to do that because they can do that. They know by playing 8 home games, they maximize their potential revenue stream, they likewise maximize their competitive advantage since the home team usually has an advantage. They do it because they can. For UCONN bringing "name" opponents to Rentschler Field is an important facet of our development as a program. It is one thing to play them, and one thing to beat them, but it is also important to play them in our house. It will create a level of excitment that we haven't yet seen with UCONN football. Michigan's complaints about the size of the venue is much ado about nothing. They regularly play in comparable facilities in the Big 10 and they've played in comparable facilities elswhere. We aren't going to paly them somewhere else.

Reaction Score

Holy crap. Nowhere, anywhere have I suggested that the 2013 game be moved.

Nor have I said that a game in NYC against Michigan (or anyone else) would be more important than playing at Rentschler. I've actually said that we are in good position to schedule in NYC, b/c it WON"T have to come at compromising our Rentschler schedules, as Syracuse has done with their Carrier dome slate.

I've repeatedly said that I think it's very important that we start scheduling games to be played in a venue in New York City, and that I think that the return game that we've got contracted with Michigan, is an excellent place to begin to move on doing that. Feel free to disagree with that if you want, but try to keep the discussion there.

Michigan coming to Rentschler is a huge deal....for us. I'm very grateful for the stance that the new AD has taken on the game. THanks Michigan.

And frankly, if you're attitude, about having them "pay up", in any way or fashion were to actually be part of how UConn handles this situation until the game is actually played at Rentschler, then you know what - that's most likely exactly what Michigan would do, is pay up the fee and then take their program somewhere else to play a game.

Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Holy crap. Nowhere, anywhere have I suggested that the 2013 game be moved.

Nor have I said that a game in NYC against Michigan (or anyone else) would be more important than playing at Rentschler. I've actually said that we are in good position to schedule in NYC, b/c it WON"T have to come at compromising our Rentschler schedules, as Syracuse has done with their Carrier dome slate.

I've repeatedly said that I think it's very important that we start scheduling games to be played in a venue in New York City, and that I think that the return game that we've got contracted with Michigan, is an excellent place to begin to move on doing that. Feel free to disagree with that if you want, but try to keep the discussion there.

Michigan coming to Rentschler is a huge deal....for us. I'm very grateful for the stance that the new AD has taken on the game. THanks Michigan.

And frankly, if you're attitude, about having them "pay up", in any way or fashion were to actually be part of how UConn handles this situation until the game is actually played at Rentschler, then you know what - that's most likely exactly what Michigan would do, is pay up the fee and then take their program somewhere else to play a game.

Unbelievable.

Great. Sounds like we're all in agreement here. :D The future could certainly include NYC, but I'm not convinced it has the same loing-term benefits for us that some others on the board feel it does. In fact there could be a few negatives we need to consider as I mentioned earlier.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Play them at the Rent. I mean they play at Northwestern, Minnesota and Indiana which play in stadiums not much bigger than UConn.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
also just for kicks, what stops us from putting a section of temp bleachers up for the michigan game? would help our #'s and i would think we could sell them easy.

Reaction Score
edit: btw: I will preface everything I write from here on in in this subject matter with the following:

I believe the 2013 game contracted with Michigan should remain at Rentschler field.

The greatest asset that UConn has to draw from in the state when it comes to grow this football program from a fan and financial standpoint, is in Fairfield County, and it is virtually untapped. New York market presence is a pretty important and influential way to tap that keg. Scheduling games in Yankee Stadium, is going to catch the attention of Fairfield county, and it's easier for fans in the I-95 corridor in all the communities from Greenwich to Bridgeport to get to Yankee Stadium, than it is to get to Rentschler. Yes Syracuse is in New York, but last I checked, Syracuse is still 250 miles from manhattan. It's 159 miles from Putnam, CT to Yankee Stadium.

And once again, since no matter how many times I repeat it, people don't seem to get it - it does NOT have to come at compromising the quality of schedule at Rentschler, and if we go out and make it known, there are nationally prominent programs out there that are interested in playing in New York.

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way - IF....Michigan chooses to schedule NYC in the future....is there anyone in their right mind that believes they would choose to seek out UCONN to play in Met-Life or Yankee Stadium over Notre Dame?

We are in position to pitch a deal, and close on it, that would be huge for us, and give Michigan their entry into the New York market. If we let this scheduling partnership expire and fall through the floor and end after 2013 without actively pursuing it for the future...and the only way we pursue it through NYC.....then Warde Manuel is no better when it comes to being the AD of a major football playing school at 1-A, than Hathaway was.
We dont have a scheduling partnership with michigan, we just scheduled a home and home with them, as schools do all of the time. There's no down the road future long term agreement here. If we want to explore playing some neutral site games in NYC against various teams, that's one thing. But moving this home game in '13 would be a remarkably bad precedent. And I have no idea where you're getting this idea that we have some scheduling partnership on the table with them that's going to expire.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the yankee and mets stadium stuff is just false as far as FC goes. the game will draw attention becuase its in ny vs a certain team. but to the FC people it won't be any more of a highlight, they either follow uconn football or dont right now. if there wasn't a car on the road i could be at yanks in 50 minutes and mets in 45 minutes from norwalk. on a normal day with traffic, its 1 hour if really no traffic to several hours depending on what highways you take(95 merrit hutch throg neck etc) and what time of travel(rush hour or not/construction etc).

its ballpark a hour to the rent for me and there isn't traffic issues for the most part becuase of the several highway options. some go merrit to 91. some go 95 to 91 and some go 7up to 84. its all close to the same and it makes it easy for FC people to get to the rent. getting to nyc is not as easy and is not in any case easier for FC.

a saturday morning game at yanks would be maybe as easy for FC ppl as going to the rent, maybe. all other times would be high traffic and alot worse of a ride. ppl would take the train somewhat but thats just less of a uconn football tailgating atmosphere in the works. its either play a game at giants or don't play in nyc to me unless its a bowl game...a trip to giants stadium for a game is a neutral game if not a away game for uconn vs a michigan nd usc type. so if we did that i would have to think warde would be smart enough to have 6 home games with a acc coming to the rent for season tix purposes.

Reaction Score
i think people are overestimating what we'd gain from a game in NYC. Carl above said he'd go for a future 1 and 1 with one game being at Michigan and one at NYC with no trip to the Rent, but I'd rather see us play a home and home with a mid level BCS team like Georgia Tech, or Purdue. we're only going to have 4 OOC games a year from here on out, and assuming one will always be a 1AA patsy, you're really talking about 3 games to work with to try to get good teams at the Rent. if you assume one away game/year as part of a decent BCS home and home series and one payday game against a MAC team, there's not a ton of wiggle room left to have neutral site games.

with 4 OOC games per year i think we're probably looking at 1AA(I'd love to get rid of this to be honest, but i get why it's necessary) 2 BCS home and home schedules (one home/one away per year) and then a payday game against the MAC. that will give us 7 home games, which is what most BCS teams have.

Reaction Score
also just for kicks, what stops us from putting a section of temp bleachers up for the michigan game? would help our #'s and i would think we could sell them easy.
-------------------------------------------------------
I said years ago that they should move the band right down on the field in front of the students. That would increase the intensity level in the stadium 10 fold, and open up an entire section of seats for more students or paying customers. After going to see it first hand in ND in09" it DEFINATELY has an impact with the band on top of the opponent. If you recall the quotes by RGIII, Butch Davis, and Dave Wan"Stache", they have all said on the record that The Rent is tough to play in bcuz it feels like the fans r right ontop of you! They should make that move!!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-------------------------------------------------------
I said years ago that they should move the band right down on the field in front of the students. That would increase the intensity level in the stadium 10 fold, and open up an entire section of seats for more students or paying customers. After going to see it first hand in ND in09" it DEFINATELY has an impact with the band on top of the opponent. If you recall the quotes by RGIII, Butch Davis, and Dave Wan"Stache", they have all said on the record that The Rent is tough to play in bcuz it feels like the fans r right ontop of you! They should make that move!!

i agree with that. how many more seats would we be talking? 2k? not even? it still helps...

Reaction Score
the yankee and mets stadium stuff is just false as far as FC goes. the game will draw attention becuase its in ny vs a certain team. but to the FC people it won't be any more of a highlight, they either follow uconn football or dont right now. if there wasn't a car on the road i could be at yanks in 50 minutes and mets in 45 minutes from norwalk. on a normal day with traffic, its 1 hour if really no traffic to several hours depending on what highways you take(95 merrit hutch throg neck etc) and what time of travel(rush hour or not/construction etc).

its ballpark a hour to the rent for me and there isn't traffic issues for the most part becuase of the several highway options. some go merrit to 91. some go 95 to 91 and some go 7up to 84. its all close to the same and it makes it easy for FC people to get to the rent. getting to nyc is not as easy and is not in any case easier for FC.

a saturday morning game at yanks would be maybe as easy for FC ppl as going to the rent, maybe. all other times would be high traffic and alot worse of a ride. ppl would take the train somewhat but thats just less of a uconn football tailgating atmosphere in the works. its either play a game at giants or don't play in nyc to me unless its a bowl game...a trip to giants stadium for a game is a neutral game if not a away game for uconn vs a michigan nd usc type. so if we did that i would have to think warde would be smart enough to have 6 home games with a acc coming to the rent for season tix purposes.
----------------------------------
How is a florida guy an authority on CT traffic patterns? LOL..............

Reaction Score

I disagree. Shocker. :) I understand the commuter issues, traveling, in the area - probably a lot better than you can imagine. The concept that proximity is an issue, when it comes to UConn playing in the New York City - in a different state? that's false.

Simply by scheduling games in Yankee Stadium, we're not going to generate a whole lot of new ticket buyers. I think that's what you're getting at it.

But by scheduling games in Yankee stadium, we most definitely will be generating new INTEREST in UConn football in the area.

There's a pseudo-scientific theory out there called the 100th monkey phenomena. It's not a true scientific thing and the way it's described in primates in popular culture is not what the original research showed. BUT....it's a phenomena that most indeed has legitimate reproducibility in when it comes to observing social phenomena in people, espeically around things like media driven social interaction (i.e. sports / entertainment).

Basically what it says, is that once a critical mass, or number of individuals have acquired a learned behavior in a group, that learned behavior begins to spread instantaneously and becomes a natural behavior for an entire population, such that members of that population that were never directly taught a behavior, begin to exhibit the behavior anyway.

By scheduling games in Yankee Stadium, the 100th monkey effect, however serious you take the concept, would come into play in Fairfield county when it comes to the general population interest in uconn football, and being a subject matter of interest.....in Fairfield County to the general population, is something that UConn Football needs to get. If playing outside CT is such a big deal for folks, there's another option to entice the ND's, Michigan's, and the like to CT - and that's the Yale Bowl - if Yale ever gets off their ass and upgrades that facility.

I understand this is heresy to a lot of UConn football fans. But it's the reality of the Northeast. Rentschler field is our home, but if you understand what we had to go through to get it, and why we played 1-AA football for 22 years rather than 1-A football, it probably shouldn't be a big deal for you to understand that playing games at larger venues in the Northeast is part of the deal that UConn will face in the future when it comes to scheduling.

And all of that, makes the fact that Michigan is coming to Rentschler, THAT much bigger for UConn. Michigan playing at UConn is a major, major thing. I'd hate to see it end at two games, and we have a lot of stuff to work with to work out a way to continue it.

Oh yeah, and BTW - I am completely in favor of Michigan playing at Rentschler in 2013, and do not want to see the game moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom