Michigan AD confirms they will honor 2013 game.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Michigan AD confirms they will honor 2013 game....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
You think Herbst will cater to Michigan in hopes of getting help from them in getting an invite from the BIG down the line?

Reaction Score
There is very little chance (with the annual ND game/the 8 game B1G schedule/the new agreement with the Pac12) that Michigan will be looking to fill its non-conference schedule with home and home series. Even if the away game is a neutral site. They will schedule ND, a Pac12, and a couple MAC teams (directional Michigans) to fill out their schedule.

Agree to disagree. They need to schedule a few home games OOC, andthey need to travel a few OOC too, and we've got a golden opportunity right now, to develop a scheduling partner in Michigan, that Involves games in New York City. And michigan playing in NYC is highly desireable for them, and us.

Pac 12, Big 10 teams, and Notre Dame are already in with contracted games in coming years, and a couple years running now. UConn and Michigan are the two of the most popular programs in the city, and neither of us right now, has any games scheduled in the city.

That needs to change, and I hope to see it change soon. With that, I'll leave this rest now.

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. They need to schedule a few home games OOC, andthey need to travel a few OOC too, and we've got a golden opportunity right now, to develop a scheduling partner in Michigan, that Involves games in New York City. And michigan playing in NYC is highly desireable for them, and us.

Pac 12, Big 10 teams, and Notre Dame are already in with contracted games in coming years, and a couple years running now. UConn and Michigan are the two of the most popular programs in the city, and neither of us right now, has any games scheduled in the city.

That needs to change, and I hope to see it change soon. With that, I'll leave this rest now.

You can agree to disagree, but Michigan is not going to play 6 home games to get a game in NYC. Not gonna happen.

Reaction Score
Funny that UM has no problem playing at Purdue (45k), IU (41k) and NW (33k). Like someone said earlier this is all about $ and the fact is they could make a lot more if they bought Uconn out and scheduled another home game instead. Hopefully Manuel can use his Michigan ties here wisely.

Reaction Score
From what I recall, the buyout for UM is pretty big. Not sure it's worth it for them to try to cancel.

Reaction Score
I think the buyout was $2 million. They could buy us out and schedule a home game against Applachin State or whoever and still make big bucks. I hope they honor the contract, but I had my doubts from the beginning. Of course if they brought a lot of skinny fans we could pack them in like sardines like they do in their stadium. I have never been that uncomfortable at any game as I was there.

Reaction Score
From what I recall, the buyout for UM is pretty big. Not sure it's worth it for them to try to cancel.
I doubt it is worth it for them to cancel. They look terrible if they do then schedule some directional school at home...but it does mean that it will be a long time before Michigan schedules anyone else not named Notre Dame or as a required part of the PAC12 deal on the road. They want 8 home games when they can get 'em, 7 when they can't. They might play a made for tv special like this years matchup with Alabama in Texas, but don't look for them to play a true road game with anyone else in the future. They ain't playing UCONN or anyone else in Yankee Stadium. Beyojnd that I don't really favor playing UCONN home games at a neutral site. Rutgers wants to move the Rutgers game from Nutley or wherever the hell Rutgers is to New York city, have at it. Anything not to have to go to New Jersey. But UCONN needs to play at UCONN's home stadium, again unless we get asked to one of those made for tv specials in Texas or Washington DC or somewhere.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
for michigan this is
-a trap game far away
-no $$ being made
-not a layup home game

for uconn its
-big name at home
-season tix #1 perk this go around
-a game on espn or abc
-an example as to why tenn and others can come here without rent size excuses
-upset special
etc...

Reaction Score
You absolutely 100% do not move this game from the Rent. If you do, say goodbye to Tennessee, or anyone big, coming to East Hartford. All anyone would agree to is New York since it would be obvious UConn would cave. If they want to extend the scheduling agreement with a third neutral site game in NY, that's another thing. But any type of home-"home" would set a horrific precedent. That was the main problem with the ND deal.

Reaction Score
NYC a TERRIBLE IDEA for a game against Michigan. They have as HUGE alumni base. We'd be 50-50 at BEST. I hate all caps but this is a HUGE MISTAKE to even consider. Plus the idea of playing FB in a baseball config doesn't thrill me as a fan or a tailgater.

Reaction Score
I think the buyout was $2 million. They could buy us out and schedule a home game against Applachin State or whoever and still make big bucks. I hope they honor the contract, but I had my doubts from the beginning. Of course if they brought a lot of skinny fans we could pack them in like sardines like they do in their stadium. I have never been that uncomfortable at any game as I was there.

Was it 2 or 2.5? Either way, if it was obvious that they could recoup the loss (buyout minus cost of traveling to CT) in incremental profit, they probably would have cancelled already.

Reaction Score
I doubt it is worth it for them to cancel. They look terrible if they do then schedule some directional school at home...but it does mean that it will be a long time before Michigan schedules anyone else not named Notre Dame or as a required part of the PAC12 deal on the road. They want 8 home games when they can get 'em, 7 when they can't. They might play a made for tv special like this years matchup with Alabama in Texas, but don't look for them to play a true road game with anyone else in the future. They ain't playing UCONN or anyone else in Yankee Stadium. Beyojnd that I don't really favor playing UCONN home games at a neutral site. Rutgers wants to move the Rutgers game from Nutley or wherever the hell Rutgers is to New York city, have at it. Anything not to have to go to New Jersey. But UCONN needs to play at UCONN's home stadium, again unless we get asked to one of those made for tv specials in Texas or Washington DC or somewhere.

Completely disagree, and so do the athletic directors in charge of scheduling at Southern California, Penn State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Syracuse, Rutgers, Army and Miami also disagree, adn all of them besides Michigan and Miami are already scheduled to play in NYC in the next several years, and most have played there with financial success already.

Miami has been trying to get games in NYC since 2009, but has failed.

This article I'm reading today, about UConn and Michigan, is the first time that I've seen Michigan take a public step in indicating interest in playing in New York, and it's somethign that we need to do as well, and it's an ideal situation to build on. THere's no reason why UConn shouldn't have 6 home games at Rentschler and a neutral game in NYC or something, just like the rest of them are working for. It's pretty simple, and we set precedence with Notre dame and Michigan so far, we'll play in NYC and bring our audience market share we've got there, but we want at least one game at Rentschler too.

Take a look at that list of programs I just made again, and then look at this: I really don't want to be left standing without a chair at this table. Market share in New York is invaluable.

CFB NYC Popularity.png

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

Reaction Score
NYC a TERRIBLE IDEA for a game against Michigan. They have as HUGE alumni base. We'd be 50-50 at BEST. I hate all caps but this is a HUGE MISTAKE to even consider. Plus the idea of playing FB in a baseball config doesn't thrill me as a fan or a tailgater.

The UConn alumni base in New York isn't too shabby. Tailgating at Yankee Stadium? Seriously? The Harlem river lots are designed for tailgating. If you bust out a grill in any of the other lots, and you're group is not a bunch of s, the NYPD usually will let you know if the Parks Dept is going to be a pain in the ass, and will warn to close up the grills if they are coming. You can take a Metro North train from anywhere on the Hudson or New Haven lines and step off the train and walk 5 minutes into the Stadium. It takes longer to get to Boston from Storrs than it takes to get to Yankee Stadium by car.

Look, there was a big issue with how ND was trying to bend us over and nail us when it came to scheduling several years ago. Things have changed dramatically since, and UConn is going to be foolish not to work very hard to figure out a way to get games in NY with Michigan scheduled.

And again, I am NOT suggesting that we give up the 2013 game at Rentschler, just that we take this relationship we've got with Michigan and turn it into a major building block for future out of conference scheduling.

Reaction Score
Also, Syracuse is going to play USC this year in the Meadowlands. Does anyone think that's going to generate any buzz?

Reaction Score
Exactly. that's the short term situation. As we all know by now, what contracts are worth. If Michigan for wahtever reason decides they don't want to play in East Hartford in 2013, there will be a dollar amount attached and a lot of pissing and moaning, but life will go on.

We are not in control of that, and there is absolutely no reason why we would move the 2013 game anywhere but Rentschler field.

What we can be in control of, is being part of Michigan getting into New York City and that's a win - win situation for both our program and theirs, and we've got reason to be sitting together and having long talks about scheduling. This isn't a cold call door to door sales situation on scheduling with Michigan that we're set up with right now.

Michigan and Uconn are both in the top 5 most popular college football programs in New York City. We are the only ones in the top 8 most popular programs that don't currently have scheduled game contracts to play in either Yankee Stadium or Met Life. Miami is #9 and has been trying to get into New York City for several years with scheduling.

We need to make it happen.

Win-win is a concept beyond many on this board. They seem to prefer beating their own chests and proclaiming that they won and the other guy didn't, without caring whether we would be better or worse off by having given the other guy something. That is the hell we went through when the ND series looked like it would happen.

Reaction Score
Win-win is a concept beyond many on this board. They seem to prefer beating their own chests and proclaiming that they won and the other guy didn't, without caring whether we would be better or worse off by having given the other guy something. That is the hell we went through when the ND series looked like it would happen.

What ND series are you talking about? Are we scheduled to play them again? I don't think it's a great idea to let every other name team know they can schedule a 2 for 1, then make the 1 a nuetral site game where they can lure NE recruits and act like they own NY City too. I thought we were trying to establish an identity here. We are never going to be NYC's team but by bringing other powers to NY we can sure help them build their brand.

Reaction Score

I agree with what you wrote before, that Met-Life is a venue with more potential revenue involved than Yankee Stadium, but I think that working toward playing in a sold out yankee stadium, is the stepping stone to that. The kickoff classic at Giants stadium averaged approx 65-70,000 attendance from the 80s right up to 2003 I think.

Not sure why it was discontinued, I think there was a real dud of a game, and then the new BCS contracts went into place so the game was phased out, but they're trying to do something similar down south lately.

I think that re-establishing some kind of regular kick off classic tradition in September in New York, would be fantastic, and would love to be part of it, and we've got not one but TWO venues that are interested in hosting college football games in the city now.

Reaction Score
What ND series are you talking about? Are we scheduled to play them again? I don't think it's a great idea to let every other name team know they can schedule a 2 for 1, then make the 1 a nuetral site game where they can lure NE recruits and act like they own NY City too. I thought we were trying to establish an identity here. We are never going to be NYC's team but by bringing other powers to NY we can sure help them build their brand.

I can only shake my head to this. Wow.

Reaction Score
It sounded like Brandon was responding to questions from the press. The author of the article certainly seems to think it's some kind of travesty to play in front of 40,000 fans and I'd guess that was the kind of thing Brandon was responding to. No issues with any of his statements. And yes, this particular game absolutely should be played at the Rent.

From July 2011

""I don't believe we can or should go on the road for nonconference games when we can put 113,000 people in our stadium," he said Monday at the Eagle Eye Golf Club before a golf match with Michigan State AD Mark Hollis. "It's, financially, the right thing to do. It's the right thing to do for our fans, in terms of their ticket packages. And we're going to alternate with Notre Dame, so we're going to have one game on the road every other year. So the rest of those games, I would like to have at Michigan Stadium."
Exceptions come for unique opportunities, such as the 2012 season opener against Alabama at Cowboys Stadium near Dallas.

He said he's pushing to move the Connecticut game to another venue on the East Coast for a bigger gate, but UConn is resisting. There is a $2 million penalty for breaking the contract, but Michigan could make even more with another home game."

This guy is only honoring a contract someone else made to not look like an ass, he isn't going to make another one

Reaction Score
From July 2011

""I don't believe we can or should go on the road for nonconference games when we can put 113,000 people in our stadium," he said Monday at the Eagle Eye Golf Club before a golf match with Michigan State AD Mark Hollis. "It's, financially, the right thing to do. It's the right thing to do for our fans, in terms of their ticket packages. And we're going to alternate with Notre Dame, so we're going to have one game on the road every other year. So the rest of those games, I would like to have at Michigan Stadium."
Exceptions come for unique opportunities, such as the 2012 season opener against Alabama at Cowboys Stadium near Dallas.

He said he's pushing to move the Connecticut game to another venue on the East Coast for a bigger gate, but UConn is resisting. There is a $2 million penalty for breaking the contract, but Michigan could make even more with another home game."

This guy is only honoring a contract someone else made to not look like an ass, he isn't going to make another one

We have to do everything we can to turn our relationship with Michigan into a win-win. If they decide to pay the fee and walk on the 2013 game, there's nothing we're doing to stop them. That means we get on the phones and talk about New York City. Not for 2013, but for the future.

We are in a good situation ehre. Our future non-conference schedules are WIDE OPEN. What was a pretty glaring problem prior to the conference earthquakes of the past two years now, is now a pretty good thing to have. We've got very few contracts in place for games out of conference right now. That means we can schedule neutral site games in New York, and still have plenty of room for home games out of conference.

Reaction Score
We have to do everything we can to turn our relationship with Michigan into a win-win. If they decide to pay the fee and walk on the 2013 game, there's nothing we're doing to stop them. That means we get on the phones and talk about New York City. Not for 2013, but for the future.

We are in a good situation ehre. Our future non-conference schedules are WIDE OPEN. What was a pretty glaring problem prior to the conference earthquakes of the past two years now, is now a pretty good thing to have. We've got very few contracts in place for games out of conference right now. That means we can schedule neutral site games in New York, and still have plenty of room for home games out of conference.

Out of curiousity, why are we discussing Michigan cancelling when they gave a clear answer that they wouldn't cancel?

Reaction Score
Because it's business.

So? He easily could have said we won't play in the Rent -- we'll negotiate for the Meadowlands or we'll cancel. People lie in business to get something, but very few lie just for the heck of it.

Reaction Score
Out of curiousity, why are we discussing Michigan cancelling when they gave a clear answer that they wouldn't cancel?

I dunno. Why are we discussing a deal with Michigan that they never, in a million years, would agree to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom