Michigan AD confirms they will honor 2013 game.... | The Boneyard

Michigan AD confirms they will honor 2013 game....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How is Rentchler's Field not a good enough venue? Will Michigan bring with them 30k to 40k fans? Connecticut does NOT have an NFL stadium ... Sorry... It's Connecticut. The closest thing to a venue that fits 100k is Yale ( totally outdated )... Any way the state can work out a deal to upgrade that stadium? Parking will be a disaster I know but at least everybody will fit...

Reaction Score
.....but suggests another venue at least be considered.....

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-f...-to-go-on-as-planned-expects-pac-12-opponent/

What we need to do is take the 2010-2013 games, and build an an extended scheduling contract in place with Michigan such that the two game series we've got goes another 4 games, and we end up laying them 3 times in Michigan, and they play us once more in Hartford, and once in Yankee Stadium.

Get r done Warde.

Show of hands, how many people would take the train to E153rd station for a UConn v. Michigan game at Yankee Stadium?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i'm gald there going to honor and not pay. but WARDE PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS IS IN HARTFORD!!!!! no NYC game for michigan unless it comes with a invite to the BIG or another series agreement.

its time big boys come to town and feel the wrath of husky nation from the lots to the endzones.

DOGS BITE

Reaction Score
I do not trust any athletic administrator talking about "honoring" anything. The fact that this is even being addressed is a bit worrisome for me. I expect bad news of a buyout in the next two months.

Hoping I am wrong.

Reaction Score
i still don't understand why anyone would care about the size of an opponents stadium. it's not like they get a cut of the gate. half the reason Michigan stadium holds as many as it does is because they allocate each ticket about 10 inches worth of real estate on a bleacher. i wonder how many people we could cram in if took out all the chairbacks and sized our seats like that.

like ajc88, i wonder why this would even come up as a topic of conversation. i've never heard from our ADs confirming a game that's been on the schedule for 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
i'm gald there going to honor and not pay. but WARDE PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS IS IN HARTFORD!!!!! no NYC game for michigan unless it comes with a invite to the BIG or another series agreement.

its time big boys come to town and feel the wrath of husky nation from the lots to the endzones.

DOGS BITE

I don't have a problem with playing Michigan in NYC. Not at all. The exposure would be ginormous. I don't have a problem with playing ND in NYC either. What I have a problem with, is playing in NYC, against an opponent, and not having at least one game at Rentschler to go with it at some point on the calendar.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This one should be at The Rent. But as Carl alluded to... if an extended home and away with them involved one alternate venue game... I think it would be a net positive.

Reaction Score
It sounded like Brandon was responding to questions from the press. The author of the article certainly seems to think it's some kind of travesty to play in front of 40,000 fans and I'd guess that was the kind of thing Brandon was responding to. No issues with any of his statements. And yes, this particular game absolutely should be played at the Rent.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with playing Michigan in NYC. Not at all. The exposure would be ginormous. I don't have a problem with playing ND in NYC either. What I have a problem with, is playing in NYC, against an opponent, and not having at least one game at Rentschler to go with it at some point on the calendar.

yup and this is just a 1 game return so right now we shouldn't lose it to nyc or where ever. if michigan wants to make it a bigger series then fine we can play a game in nyc as long as we get a hartford game also. but right now its only 1 game for us. next time they want to play us in bball were going to agree to a home and home and then a year before the game i want warde to come out and say, yes were going to honor it becuase we dont back out blah blah but we would like them to play it in detroit or something. see how they like that.

Reaction Score
Michigan ranks right behind Notre Dame and Penn State in popularity and fanbase in New York City, for programs that actually aren't local to New York City, and historically played games in New York regularly.

Michigan and UConn, are the only football programs of the most popular college football teams in New York City, that don't have existing scheduling contracts in place to play games in either Yankee Stadium or the new Meadowlands.

Look, I'm all for getting games on the schedule in Rentschler, but can it be any more clear after the past few years? We can't be standing up without a chair on this one.

We need to get Michigan on our schedule, and in New York City. I'm not willing to give up the game at Rentschler for it, but we've got to find a way to make this work.

Warde Manuel.............get r done.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn was there when UM needed a name to open the new Big House. But as any whore can tell you, the value of a service decreases dramatically after it has been performed. But I'm not worried, UConn is using the UM game next year to sell tickets this year. Any change will provoke WWIII.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
^lmfao

i say play them at the rent next year. then have a 2 for 2. michigan for 2, nyc 1 in the middle and 1 at the rent. then gove them some bball games mens and womens so that they feel good about it. maybe even a soccer game.

Reaction Score

DOGS BITE
Game HAS to be in Hartford. This will be a P.R. nightmare if it's moved to Yankee Stadium, MetLife, of (shudder) Foxboro. UConn's season ticket renewal form plainly stated that reupping for the next 3 year cycle guaranteed seating for the Michigan game. It was dangled as the carrot to increase season ticket sales.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
saw a post on twitter this morning(it was a sarcastic post but nonetheless) that some 1 called into the finebaum show and mentioned uconn football for something. just the fact that we got a breath of air on that shows is good news, ppl are taking notice.

Reaction Score
I don't want to play Michigan in Yankees Stadium. Not a heck of a lot bigger than the Rent.

I am all for playing Michigan in Giants Staidum, and it would do our program a world of good, but that boat for this game has sailed. Having sold 3-year packages using the Michigan game, at this time it would not be fair to fans to move it.

Reaction Score
This game better not be moved. This would set a terrible precedence going forward. If we change the game to NYC then what would stop Tennessee or Maryland from demanding that we move the game from the Rent. UConn's home field is Rentscheler Field in East Hartford, CT not Foxboro or Yankee Stadium.

Reaction Score
I think I've been clear. But once again, I am NOT in favor any way of giving up the game in 2013 against Michigan at Rentschler. But holding on to that game, can not also come at the cost of severing ties with Michigan the way that Notre Dame was handled in the past.

What we've got to do, is find a way, to get Michigan into New York City, on our tickets. If we don't get them, Miami will be the only one left,for ust to get a piece of that pie, and they're the lowest on the totem pole, as they've been trying to get into New York City for scheduling for years, but nobody has done it. Penn State, Army, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Syracuse, USC...they've all contracted to play in NYC over the next several years. Michigan and UConn are the only two that have significant market share that aren't in yet!!

Michigan and UConn. New York City. Must happen.

If that means we play games at Yankee Stadium and/or MetLife in 2014 and 2016 against Michigan and a game on the road in the Big House in 2015 and 2017 and don't get them back at home again until 2018. So be it.

Foxboro? Nah. New York City and Michigan football have long, deep, ties....roots. Michigan. Michigan and Boston don't go together.

Reaction Score
This isn't about a 40,000 seat Rentschler field or Yankee Stadium or anything else. This, pure and simple is about Michigan wanting to play another home game. If they could get out of the UCONN game they could add Applichian State or Northern South Dakota or East Central Michigan at the Big House, be guaranteed a win and sell it out to boot. that is how the big name programs do it. You look at most of them and they play 8 home games...recently a few like Michigan might play 7 plus a neutral site game, but a true road game? Not if they can help it.

Reaction Score
This isn't about a 40,000 seat Rentschler field or Yankee Stadium or anything else. This, pure and simple is about Michigan wanting to play another home game. If they could get out of the UCONN game they could add Applichian State or Northern South Dakota or East Central Michigan at the Big House, be guaranteed a win and sell it out to boot. that is how the big name programs do it. You look at most of them and they play 8 home games...recently a few like Michigan might play 7 plus a neutral site game, but a true road game? Not if they can help it.

Exactly. that's the short term situation. As we all know by now, what contracts are worth. If Michigan for wahtever reason decides they don't want to play in East Hartford in 2013, there will be a dollar amount attached and a lot of pissing and moaning, but life will go on.

We are not in control of that, and there is absolutely no reason why we would move the 2013 game anywhere but Rentschler field.

What we can be in control of, is being part of Michigan getting into New York City and that's a win - win situation for both our program and theirs, and we've got reason to be sitting together and having long talks about scheduling. This isn't a cold call door to door sales situation on scheduling with Michigan that we're set up with right now.

Michigan and Uconn are both in the top 5 most popular college football programs in New York City. We are the only ones in the top 8 most popular programs that don't currently have scheduled game contracts to play in either Yankee Stadium or Met Life. Miami is #9 and has been trying to get into New York City for several years with scheduling.

We need to make it happen.

Reaction Score
I think I've been clear. But once again, I am NOT in favor any way of giving up the game in 2013 against Michigan at Rentschler. But holding on to that game, can not also come at the cost of severing ties with Michigan the way that Notre Dame was handled in the past.

What we've got to do, is find a way, to get Michigan into New York City, on our tickets. If we don't get them, Miami will be the only one left,for ust to get a piece of that pie, and they're the lowest on the totem pole, as they've been trying to get into New York City for scheduling for years, but nobody has done it. Penn State, Army, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Syracuse, USC...they've all contracted to play in NYC over the next several years. Michigan and UConn are the only two that have significant market share that aren't in yet!!

Michigan and UConn. New York City. Must happen.

If that means we play games at Yankee Stadium and/or MetLife in 2014 and 2016 against Michigan and a game on the road in the Big House in 2015 and 2017 and don't get them back at home again until 2018. So be it.

Foxboro? Nah. New York City and Michigan football have long, deep, ties....roots. Michigan. Michigan and Boston don't go together.

There is very little chance (with the annual ND game/the 8 game B1G schedule/the new agreement with the Pac12) that Michigan will be looking to fill its non-conference schedule with home and home series. Even if the away game is a neutral site. They will schedule ND, a Pac12, and a couple MAC teams (directional Michigans) to fill out their schedule.

Reaction Score
I would 100% be in for extending the series with another road game to the Big House and then a return game in NYC. At least it would be planned to be in NYC ahead of time and not a switch of a previously scheduled game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom