McQuillan charged with 2nd degree assault | Page 5 | The Boneyard

McQuillan charged with 2nd degree assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
cttxus said:
Really feel bad for the kid. I hope he learns from this and turns it into a defining moment and excels in whatever he chooses to do going forward. Looking back, I can name several such moments in my 20s and wish I'd realized the challenge and opportunity they presented.

Can't say I feel bad for him, but I do hope he can learn from his extremely poor decision.

Reaction Score
"Inflicted substantial injuries". That's all need to know. 250lb, jacked division 1 football players can't go getting into fights like mere mortals simply because the potential to inflict substantial injuries is a high probability.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Agree he needs to be off the team given what we know about the situation. Noeynox is right on about that. However, up until this incident, this 20-21 year old young man was a respected, potential Husky football captain with great football potential. I don't want to speculate, but something caused him to make a really bad decision in a moment of time and now he's paying for it big time. Let people without similar faults be the first cast stones at him.

Reaction Score
Agree he needs to be off the team given what we know about the situation. Noeynox is right on about that. However, up until this incident, this 20-21 year old young man was a respected, potential Husky football captain with great football potential. I don't want to speculate, but something caused him to make a really bad decision in a moment of time and now he's paying for it big time. Let people without similar faults be the first cast stones at him.

I wonder how the victim and his family might respond to your statement.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I wonder how the victim and his family might respond to your statement.
Can't answer that question. But it seems justice has been served, no? And if SM was my son he'd have apologized to his roommate and family long ago, which is something you'll never know or read about. My point was that young men make mistakes and hopefully they learn to become better men as a result.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Can't answer that question. But it seems justice has been served, no? And if SM was my son he'd have apologized to his roommate and family long ago, which is something you'll never know or read about. My point was that young men make mistakes and hopefully they learn to become better men as a result.

When you commit a felony, you need more than an apology to get off the hook.

So is Myers the consensus starter at TE now? I remember being intrigued by Bloom's performance as a pass-catcher on a couple of occasions, but it seemed like that was only in a couple of games.

Reaction Score
Stairmaster said:
When you commit a felony, you need more than an apology to get off the hook.

So is Myers the consensus starter at TE now? I remember being intrigued by Bloom's performance as a pass-catcher on a couple of occasions, but it seemed like that was only in a couple of games.

I would think it is a wide open competition. Both Bloom and Myers showed flashes, but they were also huge liabilities in the run game. we desperately need to find tight ends who can block.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Consequences are apart of learning. You keep slapping someone on the wrist and they don't learn.

Reaction Score
Making an illegal turn is a mistake. Beating someone so bad you're charged with a felony is more than a little mistake that you get off with an apology. He won't but he could be looking at a couple of years in prison. White kids from Glastonbury don't go to jail in our society of course. But he acted like a punk and I am not upset he is gone.

Reaction Score
Purely presumption and speculation on my part, but I'd expect Myers and Bloom to be the top two starters at TE going forward. Would it be crazy to think Holman might see some time on the field, too? Either way, the loss and entire circumstance sucks, but that position should remain pretty solid going forward.

Reaction Score
The incoming recruit that may be big enough is Lee. Holman probably is 2 years and 30+ lbs. away. May ask Hashemi to try working that spot again.

Reaction Score
The incoming recruit that may be big enough is Lee. Holman probably is 2 years and 30+ lbs. away. May ask Hashemi to try working that spot again.

Deja vu all over again with the damn TE position. I hope McQuillan gets his act together, and learns from all of this. He had another court case going on for something too. I don't know what.

Maybe we can find a walk on from intramural basketball courts that's big enough, fast enough with the feet, to add to the roster that can block. Not like it hasn't happened before. Deja vu all over again.

Griffin and Delahunt finished their eligibility as 5th year seniors in Dec. 2012. I've been told many times that we didn't have recruiting problems in Edsall's later years though. Give it one more year, of recruiting and development and hopefully we'll be back on track across the board in all position groups.

Reaction Score
Consequences are apart of learning. You keep slapping someone on the wrist and they don't learn.

I don't recall SM getting slapped on the wrist before. I also don't know the specifics of the case, but I would suggest that a school's first job is to teach. Kicking someone out is not teaching anyone anything other than that there are lines, somewhere. I can't defend the kid, because I don't know the facts. But the idea that 2 college kids got in a fight and someone won is not a 21st century development. I would simply like to see the school take an opportuinity like this and use it as a teaching moment. If they did, I'll readily admit I missed the message and/or lesson.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't recall SM getting slapped on the wrist before. I also don't know the specifics of the case, but I would suggest that a school's first job is to teach. Kicking someone out is not teaching anyone anything other than that there are lines, somewhere. I can't defend the kid, because I don't know the facts. But the idea that 2 college kids got in a fight and someone won is not a 21st century development. I would simply like to see the school take an opportuinity like this and use it as a teaching moment. If they did, I'll readily admit I missed the message and/or lesson.
SM would be slapped on the wrist if he was let off the hook. Plus the University used this as an opportunity as a teaching moment; if you fight you'll be kicked out. Giving second/third chances to fighting leads to dangerous situations on a college campus.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In light of the Out Side the Lines that aired yesterday morning, I'm not surprised McQuillan was officially dismissed. Potentially being compared to FSU and UF in this light is not good, especially considering the assault allegations that UConn has faces over the last few years.

In terms of UConn football, next man up. In terms of McQuillan's future, I hope he is able to pay his penance, gets a second chance, and takes advantage of it. They say football is a game of controlled rage. The first part of the phrase is as, or more, important than the second.

Reaction Score
SM would be slapped on the wrist if he was let off the hook. Plus the University used this as an opportunity as a teaching moment; if you fight you'll be kicked out. Giving second/third chances to fighting leads to dangerous situations on a college campus.

so there was no 3rd option - let off the hook or get kicked out?

And to be clear, any UConn students who fight are to be expelled? Or just those on scholly? Or just those on atheletic scholly? Or just those who throw a hard punch? ....

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

And to be clear, any UConn students who fight are to be expelled? Or just those on scholly? Or just those on atheletic scholly? Or just those who throw a hard punch? ....

How about those who commit felonies? I can't for the life of me see how this is going over people's heads.

Husky25

Reaction Score

The felony charge probably has something to do with it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How about those who commit felonies? I can't for the life of me see how this is going over people's heads.
Because being charged isn't the same as being convicted? You remember that pesky trial thing we do here in America, right?

6th_amendment.jpg

Reaction Score
I dig Stinger92860's point... I also feel his pain of using a smartphone to write that comment...

Reaction Score

The issue is we dont know the facts and often times charges are linked to results and not intent. For example, he may have pushed some one who ackwardky fell down and hit his head. That is a lot different than him jumping on a guy and repeatedly punching his head. Hence why people want to learn the facts before passing judgement about whether or not he deserves a second chance

Husky25

Reaction Score
If he didn't play football no would care about his ability to get a second chance. Plus, if it was you he beat the c r a p out of, your position would change 180.
As it pertains to football, UConn, and McQuillan in particular, you are absolutely correct. However, I personally think everyone deserves a second chance, provided they pay their penance. That chance does not have to be at UConn, nor does it have to be in football.

Take Ray Rice, for instance. He was sentence legally (as lenient as I think the sentence was is outside my point) and paid a huge penalty both professionally and personally. Should he be allowed to play football again? Yes, I believe he does. In the NFL? Well to date, no franchise has given him so much as a tryout. But at the end of the day, he is a aging, former All Pro running back of diminishing skills at his position, to the point which are 12 for 10 cents. This side of the game is a business and teams need to weigh the cost/benefit of the PR hit vs. a back who gains 2.7 yards/carry. However that doesn't mean he should be prevented from making a living in a different field. I don't know exactly what field that is. I don't believe he has a degree, but I could be mistaken.

Reaction Score
Some folks let the process play out. There is a minor differennce between charging and committing. I can't for the life of me see how this is going over people's heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom