McQuillan charged with 2nd degree assault | Page 2 | The Boneyard

McQuillan charged with 2nd degree assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's impossible to have an opinion without knowing what happened.

Diaco is in a tough spot if it was bad. Can't sell the RKG stuff and not hold a tight line.

Fair enough. I was assuming it was a fisticuffs fight where the roommate came up short against against a 6'3" 250 lb athlete.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Bad news, nonetheless. For the sake of our team's 2015 chances, I hope he is still on the roster come August/September. But I also hope Alec Bloom and Tommy Myers are ready to put in some real work before summer practice starts, just in case.

Reaction Score
Kids are not dumb. Word gets out that a guy of his stature is bounced for this and others will be more careful. I have known many college athletes over many years and less than 1% were arrested, even fewer for felonies. Believe it or not it is possible to be a college athlete and not end up in jail. That would be a minimum standard I'd want to establish.

Now if the case gets dropped, he's welcome back.

Reaction Score
Must get getting ready to transfer to the SEC. 2nd degree assault would not even register in Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Gainsville, etc.
"Looks like its the University of Louisville"
1302374122_RiskyBusiness.jpg

Reaction Score
I went to college, partied like mad. I had a heck of time. Is it that hard to stay out of trouble for these guys?

Reaction Score
IIRC a felony 2 is hitting someone with anything other than a fist. (kick, knee, elbow, object?). Fights happen, fights between teammates or friends happen. Hopefully this was a minor incident and he can continue on at UConn.

Sec. 53a-60. Assault in the second degree: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of assault in the second degree when: (1) With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person; or (2) with intent to cause physical injury to another person, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument other than by means of the discharge of a firearm; or (3) he recklessly causes serious physical injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument; or (4) for a purpose other than lawful medical or therapeutic treatment, he intentionally causes stupor, unconsciousness or other physical impairment or injury to another person by administering to such person, without his consent, a drug, substance or preparation capable of producing the same; or (5) he is a parolee from a correctional institution and with intent to cause physical injury to an employee or member of the Board of Pardons and Paroles, he causes physical injury to such employee or member.

Reaction Score
Sec. 53a-60. Assault in the second degree: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of assault in the second degree when: (1) With intent to cause serious physical injury to another person, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person; or (2) with intent to cause physical injury to another person, he causes such injury to such person or to a third person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument other than by means of the discharge of a firearm; or (3) he recklessly causes serious physical injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon or a dangerous instrument; or (4) for a purpose other than lawful medical or therapeutic treatment, he intentionally causes stupor, unconsciousness or other physical impairment or injury to another person by administering to such person, without his consent, a drug, substance or preparation capable of producing the same; or (5) he is a parolee from a correctional institution and with intent to cause physical injury to an employee or member of the Board of Pardons and Paroles, he causes physical injury to such employee or member.

That clears it up.

He could've intended to injure somebody and did.

He could've intended to injure someone and did with a weapon (excluding a gun).

He drugged someone.

He intended to injure his Parole Officer.

Reaction Score
Suspend him pending outcome of investigation. It's a privilege to wear that football uniform.

As to the case itself, I think alot will depend on roommates cooperation. Could be subbed to assault 3 (misdemeanor), could also apply for a program if it gets subbed.

Highly dissapointing. And he was supposed to be a team leader.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No one on this squad is good enough to overlook anything serious, nor most things minor.

Anything above a drunken scuffle and he should be dismissed from the team. Let the school figure out his university standing as they would for anyone else.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I think this past weekend was whatever is left of Spring Weekend. The thing with the victim being a roommate is they usually room with teammates so it'll be interesting to find out if that is the case here.

Nope...that's THIS weekend.

Reaction Score
That clears it up.

He could've intended to injure somebody and did.
He could've intended to injure someone and did with a weapon (excluding a gun).

It's the "dangerous instruments" that usually cause the problem...
  • "Dangerous instrument" means any instrument, article or substance which, under the circumstances in which it is used or attempted or threatened to be used, is capable of causing death or serious physical injury. "Serious physical injury" means physical injury which creates a substantial risk of death, or which causes serious disfigurement, serious impairment of health or serious loss or impairment of the function of any bodily organ. It is important to note that the article need not be inherently dangerous; all that is required is that the article was capable of causing death or serious physical injury under the circumstances in which it was used. Any article or substance, without limitation and even though harmless under normal use, may be found by you to be a dangerous instrument if, under the circumstances of its use or threatened or attempted use, it is capable of producing serious physical injury or death. The state need not prove that in fact death or serious physical injury resulted, only that the instrument had that potential under the circumstances.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is pretty serious stuff. Unless the fight was over a video game (particularly NBA Jam), he deserves to be tossed. If it was a fight over NBA Jam, I could be a little more understanding. Who hasn't gotten into a fight with a roommate while playing NBA Jam?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Suspend him pending outcome of investigation. It's a privilege to wear that football uniform.

Frankly I'm so disgusted with the way he disgraced the uniform, that I view it as no longer useable... we should get new helmets just to make a statement that this is unacceptable at the University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Just to add, if this was a normal fistfight, he would be charged with assault 3, a misdemeanor. And would likely not result in a conviction.

Assault 2 is far more serious.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure its the "significant facial injuries" that rose it to Assault 2.

Reaction Score
Uconn police have been overzealous with charges against athletes in the past. Im wondering why it was campus police if it was off-campus? Regardless, If Diaco is following a standard though, good chance that the spring game was mcquillans last game in a uconn uniform.

Unfortunate because when diaco talked about maintaining 100% player retention a few months ago, I think he was serious. Dont have the roster depth -yet-to lose players for any reason.

You hope the player learns from it. If I had to venture a guess, purely my own speculation, based on the reports, this fight was a domestic issue between young adult men, and most likely over a girl they were both sweet on on, and the confrontation was a physical matchup between the roommates in a fight, was a mismatch in mcquillan's favor. Be interesting to know who started swinging, pretty clear who finished it.

Unfortunate part of life. Violence. Live and learn when its appropriate and not.

Reaction Score
Just to add, if this was a normal fistfight, he would be charged with assault 3, a misdemeanor. And would likely not result in a conviction.

Assault 2 is far more serious.

I think, as has already been suggested, that judgement and resulting punishment be based on fact. Did anyone learn anything from the Duke Lacrosse mess? The whole world was pushing to immediately execute college athletes and a coach was forced to resign; mostly because he believed his players, and said so.

In the end, it was B.S. A damn Prosecutor was disbarred.......disbarred for Christ sake!

If the player's guilty, he should be punished. That punishment should be consistent with punishment any other student would get for the same transgression. No more, no less. Athletes should not be favored by the justice system. Nor should they be treated more harshly.

Reaction Score
I think, as has already been suggested, that judgement and resulting punishment be based on fact. Did anyone learn anything from the Duke Lacrosse mess? The whole world was pushing to immediately execute college athletes and a coach was forced to resign; mostly because he believed his players, and said so.

In the end, it was B.S. A damn Prosecutor was disbarred..disbarred for Christ sake!

If the player's guilty, he should be punished. That punishment should be consistent with punishment any other student would get for the same transgression. No more, no less. Athletes should not be favored by the justice system. Nor should they be treated more harshly.

Unfortunately in the court of public opinion, reasonable thought is left at the door.

The sooner all the facts are out in the open, the better as far as I'm concerned. Did the player hit another person with something other than his own fists? Big question - I'm no lawyer or cop, but reading the statute, the rest of the stuff is minutiae beyond the difference between a fist fight, and fight that involves some sort of object used to hit (or defend). What is this other pending court charge about? Another important question.

The facts now are that McQuillan has not 1, but 2 court dates now for different things in the next 2 months. What's going on with this guy? Somebody needs to figure it out.

It's pretty clear to me, that establishing more than 1 court date is not the kind of leadership is not the quality of leadership that Diaco preaches that he wants. It's certainly not what I want in a senior captain type of player.

If these court dates are products of unfortunate circumstance, and the UCONN police booking a football player on this kind of charge without there having been an object of some sort other than fists involved or something, is not a hypothetical that I find hard to believe, and whatever the automobile charge may be - if it's a DUI and he's going for accelerated rehab, vs. and unpaid parking ticket - these are circumstances that need to be sorted out.

I think that the sooner it all gets a spotlight shined on the facts, the better, and until then there is no choice but to suspend the kid internally. I have no idea what kinds of actions that means, but the scholarship certainly has to be weighed.

I understand your point Fairtides about athletes being the same as a general student, and I agree with that in the strict sense of law and order, but the counter/ and my opinion is that scholarship athletes need to be held to a higher standard at least internally within the university.

Reaction Score
I just re-read that statute that huskymedic put up again.

Would appreciate if the lawyers on board would clarify the first part of the statement. It seems to me that it is the discretion of the arresting officer to make a charge that can be either a misdemeanor or a felony in a pure fist fight. The extent of the injuries inflicted on the individual would be such a thing that would lead such a judgement call?

This reminds of that old story of the idea of boxers registering their fists as weapons.

My first instinct in learning of this today, was oh - great - the UCONN cops. Honestly. If it was state cop or even a local cop charge, I'd feel differently.

I really wouldn't put it past the UCONN cops to lean toward the heavier charge knowing it was a football player.

No matter what, McQuillan is going to have some 'splaining to do, and hopefully the punishment will fit, both from the football program and the school, and from the court system.

Reaction Score
Uconn police have been overzealous with charges against athletes in the past. Im wondering why it was campus police if it was off-campus? Regardless, If Diaco is following a standard though, good chance that the spring game was mcquillans last game in a uconn uniform.

Unfortunate because when diaco talked about maintaining 100% player retention a few months ago, I think he was serious. Dont have the roster depth -yet-to lose players for any reason.

You hope the player learns from it. If I had to venture a guess, purely my own speculation, based on the reports, this fight was a domestic issue between young adult men, and most likely over a girl they were both sweet on on, and the confrontation was a physical matchup between the roommates in a fight, was a mismatch in mcquillan's favor. Be interesting to know who started swinging, pretty clear who finished it.

Unfortunate part of life. Violence. Live and learn when its appropriate and not.

WOW you have already written the screenplay and the book isn't even out yet. Glad you used the purely my own speculation disclaimer. :D

Reaction Score
Well, motor vehicle case in court could be anything from a DUI down to a parking ticket hearing. I seriously doubt it's something at the level of a DUI or else someone would've reported it by now, probably more along the lines of excessive moving violations of some kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom