McQuillan charged with 2nd degree assault | Page 6 | The Boneyard

McQuillan charged with 2nd degree assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Because being charged isn't the same as being convicted? You remember that pesky trial thing we do here in America, right?

6th_amendment.jpg

This has to do with criminal law, not the UConn Code of Personal Conduct (or whatever it may be called)? If the University saw fit that the charge was egregious enough, they probably have the right to take action up to and including expulsion. It looks like an appeal was heard and denied. Keep in mind that the University has an obligation to 10s of 1000s of other people, on the low end. Not just a sole member of the football team.

This is the same as free speech. 99% of the time, the Constitution (Connecticut in this case, not U.S. This is not a federal crime) protects your right to say whatever you want, but if you tell your boss to go filate himself (in the biblical sense), don't be surprised if you are relieved of your duties on the spot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This has to do with criminal law, not the UConn Code of Personal Conduct (or whatever it may be called)? If the University saw fit that the charge was egregious enough, they probably have the right to take action up to and including expulsion. It looks like an appeal was heard and denied. Keep in mind that the University has an obligation to 10s of 1000s of other people, on the low end. Not just a sole member of the football team.

This is the same as free speech. 99% of the time, the Constitution (Connecticut in this case, not U.S. This is not a federal crime) protects your right to say whatever you want, but if you tell your boss to go filate himself (in the biblical sense), don't be surprised if you are relieved of your duties on the spot.
I understand your point, but it is misapplied here. Take a look at the original quote:

Stairmaster said:
How about those who commit felonies? I can't for the life of me see how this is going over people's heads.

That absolutely has to do with criminal law.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I understand your point, but it is misapplied here. Take a look at the original quote:

Stairmaster said:
How about those who commit felonies? I can't for the life of me see how this is going over people's heads.

That absolutely has to do with criminal law.
I understand that you are making a distinction between committing and being charged with. My point is that the University is not beholden to the criminal justice process. Their standards can be much lower (or higher, depending on how you look at it), and the mere appearance of impropriety may be enough to render a punishment.

CL82

Reaction Score
I understand that you are making a distinction between committing and being charged with. My point is that the University is not beholden to the criminal justice process. Their standards can be much lower (or higher, depending on how you look at it), and the mere appearance of impropriety may be enough to render a punishment.
Okay, that's irrelevant to my point and the exchange, but duly noted.

Reaction Score
As it pertains to football, UConn, and McQuillan in particular, you are absolutely correct. However, I personally think everyone deserves a second chance, provided they pay their penance. That chance does not have to be at UConn, nor does it have to be in football.

Take Ray Rice, for instance. He was sentence legally (as lenient as I think the sentence was is outside my point) and paid a huge penalty both professionally and personally. Should he be allowed to play football again? Yes, I believe he does. In the NFL? Well to date, no franchise has given him so much as a tryout. But at the end of the day, he is a aging, former All Pro running back of diminishing skills at his position, to the point which are 12 for 10 cents. This side of the game is a business and teams need to weigh the cost/benefit of the PR hit vs. a back who gains 2.7 yards/carry. However that doesn't mean he should be prevented from making a living in a different field. I don't know exactly what field that is. I don't believe he has a degree, but I could be mistaken.

On a different note, not sure if a Rutgers degree gets you anything more than not having one gets you.

Carrying on.

Reaction Score
there's no point in arguing with cl on this. he didn't even understand that mcquillan was charged with a felony. he can't comprehend the difference between saying an arrest may prevent a fight from turning into something worse and saying a fight is the same murder. As someone who has been in fights in college, only to see one group or another come back later with more people looking to do more damage, I can speak firsthand about the importance of removing one or both of the parties involved from the situation.

the police saw enough evidence to charge him with a felony

the school saw enough evidence to expel him.

The hand wringing about "innocent until proven guilty" ignores the fact that as far as the school is concerned, they saw enough evidence to take action.

He made his bed. I hope the victim fully recovers, and that McQuillan is able to graduate, and grow from this.

Reaction Score
there's no point in arguing with cl on this. he didn't even understand that mcquillan was charged with a felony. he can't comprehend the difference between saying an arrest may prevent a fight from turning into something worse and saying a fight is the same murder. As someone who has been in fights in college, only to see one group or another come back later with more people looking to do more damage, I can speak firsthand about the importance of removing one or both of the parties involved from the situation.

The hand wringing about "innocent until proven guilty" ignores the fact that as far as the school is concerned, they saw enough evidence to take action.

He made his bed. I hope the victim fully recovers, and that McQuillan is able to graduate, and grow from this.

I don't think he was expelled from the school. I think he is on track to graduate. Might be wrong, but if he's out of school, I'm pretty sure it's a financial decision on he and his family's part - because his football scholarship definitely got pulled.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think he was expelled from the school. I think he is on track to graduate. Might be wrong, but if he's out of school, I'm pretty sure it's a financial decision on he and his family's part - because his football scholarship definitely got pulled.

You should try reading 10% as
much as you write.

Reaction Score
He graduated. He did get expelled. He will be a graduate transfer somewhere.

Reaction Score
Lol. How do you graduate from the same school you got expelled from? Whatever. He's not on the team for the fall, and we better beat Villanova and Army at home or I'll be pissed and he's not contributing so goodbye. Thanks for time served hope you learn from mistakes. It's only a couple weeks til fall camp now.

Reaction Score
Lol. How do you graduate from the same school you got expelled from? He's not on the team for the fall...
Simple, allegedly do something stupid, get arrested, graduate with remaining eligibility, final university review occurs after graduation, expulsion, ineligible to continue as student or student-athlete at UCONN. Good luck to all involved; moving forward!

Reaction Score
Maybe it wasn't a formal expulsion, but in not so many words he was told, you don't have to go home but you got to get the out of here.

Also keep in mind he redshirt ed as a freshman. That fact alone makes it likely he graduated or was very close.

CL82

Reaction Score

There's no point in trying to discuss this rationally with wing-u. He doesn't understand the difference between being charged and being convicted. He can't comprehend that equating a fight between roommates with murder is reactionary. He doesn't realize that anonymously doing so on a public message board is cowardly and unfair to all involved. He's too caught up in reliving his own real or imagined anecdotes to recognize that this event is separate and distinct from those memories and involves real people who ought to be treated fairly.

he is charged not convicted.

we have no actual knowledge what the violation that caused McQuillan, a graduate, not be allowed to continue as a grad student.

some people on the internet like to make reactionary judgments but it ignores the fact that being charged is different from being convicted and the fact that they are not privy to what the basis was for the schools decision.

I hope wing u can learn not be so reactionary and ultimately grow from this.

[See what I did there?]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, I see what you did. Continued a false narrative attributing comments to me that I never said. And further exhibited a proficiency for creating straw men to win arguments with yourself, which only makes you continue to look foolish even for boneyard standards.

Kudos.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be great if, on games days, BYer's were given the oppty to strap on some pads and have it out? BY handles on the helmets and jerseys. In HS our HC called it the Kahuna drill. 2 on 1. mano a mano. Very humbling. Knocked the snot and bravado out of most of us.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, I see what you did. Continued a false narrative attributing comments to me that I never said. And further exhibited a proficiency for creating straw men to win arguments with yourself, which only makes you continue to look foolish even for boneyard standards.

Kudos.
Gee and I thought that I just parodied you doing exactly that. Go figure.

Reaction Score
Gee and I thought that I just parodied you doing exactly that. Go figure.
You're still seriously confused.

Following your logic, If i were to suggest you don't post on this topic anymore to avoid making yourself look silly, you'd come back and accuse me of trying to eliminate your freedom of speech.

You basically accused me of calling him a murderer because I suggested the fact he was arrested was prudent. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty but nobody can be proven guilty without first being arrested.

He's been kicked out of school and you're still beating the innocent until proven guilty drum.

Why don't you call the ACLU and tell them his rights have been violated?

CL82

Reaction Score
You're still seriously confused.

Following your logic, If i were to suggest you don't post on this topic anymore to avoid making yourself look silly, you'd come back and accuse me of trying to eliminate your freedom of speech.

You basically accused me of calling him a murderer because I suggested the fact he was arrested was prudent. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty but nobody can be proven guilty without first being arrested.

He's been kicked out of school and you're still beating the innocent until proven guilty drum.

Why don't you call the ACLU and tell them his rights have been violated?
Seriously? My post was like 20 days ago. Let it go chief.

Oh and you might want to go a little lighter on the straw man arguments they aren't a popular device on the board.

Reaction Score
cttxus said:
Wouldn't it be great if, on games days, BYer's were given the oppty to strap on some pads and have it out? BY handles on the helmets and jerseys. In HS our HC called it the Kahuna drill. 2 on 1. mano a mano. Very humbling. Knocked the snot and bravado out of most of us.

Considering how few people here care about facts everyone would claim they won regardless of the outcome.

Except Nelson - who would claim everyone lost and we should be out playing soccer in the parking lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom