Matt Rhule Leaves Temple For Baylor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Matt Rhule Leaves Temple For Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Although at the time, I recall most people here wanting "more" than HH. In retrospect, that might have been the best option.

I'll pat myself on the back, I guess, as one of the "Hughes crowd". There was also a Whipple crowd and a Keeler crowd.

Could it be that we were ALL correct??? :(

Reaction Score
But if the argument for HH was that he'd keep the two coordinators on, wouldn't the two coordinators be the ones we should've looked at? Also, Hank Hughes hasn't exactly lit up the coaching world post-UConn.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
But if the argument for HH was that he'd keep the two coordinators on, wouldn't the two coordinators be the ones we should've looked at? Also, Hank Hughes hasn't exactly lit up the coaching world post-UConn.

He seems to be doing okay at Nebraska. Besides, keeping that staff in tact was the EXACT reason to keep him. He offered stability in the transition. I'm convinced we would have continued to go bowling under him and we'd be having much different conversations right now...

Reaction Score

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He didn't have a job this year that I could find.

Very strange. He did a very good job at Cincy, then was stolen away by Nebraska at about 300k per year. I'm surprised he's not working right now, as I'm guessing he'd be an improvement on our situation...

Reaction Score
Very strange. He did a very good job at Cincy, then was stolen away by Nebraska at about 300k per year. I'm surprised he's not working right now, as I'm guessing he'd be an improvement on our situation...
I don't think he recruited very well at Nebraska. Truthfully I was never really impressed with him here. Kevin Wolthausen has produced as many if not more pro's as a DL coach than Hughes did. Now ironically Diaco swapped coaching responsibilities for Wolthausen and Brown last season. Another bad move on his behalf.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

His stint at Nebraska was atrocious. He didn't garner a single commit from a defensive line prospect and was the main reason that we lost 4 DT's after the 2015 season (Collins, Valentine, Williams, McMullen). I don't know what he is into now but the trainwreck that was his year in Nebraska probably scared some people off

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I don't think he recruited very well at Nebraska. Truthfully I was never really impressed with him here. Kevin Wolthausen has produced as many if not more pro's as a DL coach than Hughes did. Now ironically Diaco swapped coaching responsibilities for Wolthausen and Brown last season. Another bad move on his behalf.

said this above but he was the worst recruiting defensive coach we've ever staffed. he didn't get a single commitment from any prospect and was cited as one of the main reasons we lost 4 DT's with eligibility remaining after the 2015 season. Can't do much worse than that.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The parallels of Rhule to Baylor look a lot like Edsall to Maryland.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
More Hank Hughes/Nebraska background for those interested: Hank Hughes New Husker Defensive Line Coach - Husker Football

Fired thread: Hank Hughes no longer with team - Husker Football

There is actually a lot of interesting talk regarding UConn football on that first thread as well.

and now back to Rhule

To be fair, I didn't understand the nuances at Nebraska for him that led to a rough run there. But the numbers that are quoted in your first thread speak for themselves, especially over a 12 year period at three schools.

Now back to Rhule; if Temple hires a former UCONN assistant to run their program (besides GDL), I'm going to dive straight into a bottle of Jameson's...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The parallels of Rhule to Baylor look a lot like Edsall to Maryland.

I think Rhule to Baylor is several magnitudes more of a stretch than Edsall to Maryland. At least Maryland has some overlap with UConn.

Reaction Score
I get taking the money, but Baylor is possibly the worst P5 job in the country. Every school in the country recruits Texas hard. With Briles gone, Baylor will be back to out of the Top 10 of the pecking order for Texas recruits, to say nothing of the restrictions I am sure the university is imposing. Try taking a recruiting class that will be out of the Top 50, and competing with a rejuvenated Texas, TCU, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, West Virginia and Kansas State.

I am not sure why anyone thinks Baylor is going to be a 6-6 school without Briles bringing in the thugs. Someone has to finish last in that league, and Baylor looks like a good candidate to be regularly at the bottom.

Kansas will always be at the bottom and Iowa st is only slightly better than Kansas.

With all the talent in Texas if Rhule can make inroads and good connections he will bring in talent. It's going to take a while and that's why Baylor targeted a proven program builder. No reason they can't out recruit tcu

Plus Willie Nelson went to baylor.

Reaction Score
Problem with Baylor is that you are going to have to succeed running a clean program for the foreseeable future and nobody was really able to do that there. It took a combination of slime at every level from president to coach to make it work. Your best hope is to be 8-4 every year but the first tim you have a bad year which will happen at Baylor you'll be hearing HCAB everywhere.

Valid take. I think there is enough of a foundation, due in large part to corruption, that Rhule can stay respectable and still win 8 or 9 games most years. But I agree, he has to run the cleanest program in the history of Texas Division I Football for a long time. I think their fairly wealthy alumni/booster base has gotten a nice taste of the big-time and they will make sure the program has what it needs to stay there.

Reaction Score
Valid take. I think there is enough of a foundation, due in large part to corruption, that Rhule can stay respectable and still win 8 or 9 games most years. But I agree, he has to run the cleanest program in the history of Texas Division I Football for a long time. I think their fairly wealthy alumni/booster base has gotten a nice taste of the big-time and they will make sure the program has what it needs to stay there.

It doesn't need to be clean. It needs to be rape and murder free. Can't really be that hard.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kansas will always be at the bottom and Iowa st is only slightly better than Kansas.

With all the talent in Texas if Rhule can make inroads and good connections he will bring in talent. It's going to take a while and that's why Baylor targeted a proven program builder. No reason they can't out recruit tcu

Plus Willie Nelson went to baylor.

That must be why Baylor was so good before Briles started bringing in the future convicts of America.

If you are arguing that Baylor will have some competition for last place, fine, I will agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom