Matt Rhule Leaves Temple For Baylor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Matt Rhule Leaves Temple For Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Could you imagine if we are stuck with Diaco at UConn next year, while Temple had Moorhead and Houston had Orlando as Head Coaches? My mind would explode.

Let's go back in time. Imagine if UConn hired Hank Hughes instead of PP. You would have had Moorhead as OC and Orlando as DC. And, Mike Foley would have been OL coach. Plus, Nebrich would have stayed and UConn and developed into a competent QB like he did at Fordham under Moorhead.

Damn Hathaway.

Reaction Score
I would take the Baylor job over Mizzou. Your natural recruiting ground is Texas. As we have seen, any Texas school and Oklahoma can compete for the conference title in any given year.

Mizzou is a good job, but you wake up every August knowing you are already behind Bama, Florida, LSU, and Georgia talent wise....no matter what you do. You are running a Midwest program in the SEC. Good Night Sweet Prince. Barring a miracle, you know you just signed up to be fired in 4 years. At Baylor if you can win 8 games and avoid being involved in any murder or rape cover-ups, you are golden (and that is sickening) for a several years.

I think he is a good fit too. He likes spread Offenses.....he will have to learn playing stout Defense is illegal in the Big 12. Holding the opposition under 35 makes you Bill Belichick down there.

Reaction Score
I would take the Baylor job over Mizzou. Your natural recruiting ground is Texas. As we have seen, any Texas school and Oklahoma can compete for the conference title in any given year.

Mizzou is a good job, but you wake up every August knowing you are already behind Bama, Florida, LSU, and Georgia talent wise....no matter what you do. You are running a Midwest program in the SEC. Good Night Sweet Prince. Barring a miracle, you know you just signed up to be fired in 4 years. At Baylor if you can win 8 games and avoid being involved in any murder or rape cover-ups, you are golden (and that is sickening) for a several years.

I think he is a good fit too. He likes spread Offenses.....he will have to learn playing stout Defense is illegal in the Big 12. Holding the opposition under 35 makes you Bill Belichick down there.
Problem with Baylor is that you are going to have to succeed running a clean program for the foreseeable future and nobody was really able to do that there. It took a combination of slime at every level from president to coach to make it work. Your best hope is to be 8-4 every year but the first tim you have a bad year which will happen at Baylor you'll be hearing HCAB everywhere.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Problem with Baylor is that you are going to have to succeed running a clean program for the foreseeable future and nobody was really able to do that there. It took a combination of slime at every level from president to coach to make it work. Your best hope is to be 8-4 every year but the first tim you have a bad year which will happen at Baylor you'll be hearing HCAB everywhere.

Yes, it's a small Baptist college in Waco and is somewhat toxic. Herman just landed at UT which is right down I-35 from Waco. Mizzou has a lot more going for it, especially playing in the SEC.

Reaction Score
Let's go back in time. Imagine if UConn hired Hank Hughes instead of PP. You would have had Moorhead as OC and Orlando as DC. And, Mike Foley would have been OL coach. Plus, Nebrich would have stayed and UConn and developed into a competent QB like he did at Fordham under Moorhead.

Damn Hathaway.

Although at the time, I recall most people here wanting "more" than HH. In retrospect, that might have been the best option.

Reaction Score
Although at the time, I recall most people here wanting "more" than HH. In retrospect, that might have been the best option.

Yup... "wasn't a big enough name/splash".

Reaction Score
And that is example # 3,857,301,472 why you do not burn your bridges in the recruiting world.

While I appreciate the honesty and perspective from that kid's dad here, it also seemed to completely burn the bridge with UConn. If the kid had simply changed his verbal to Temple, then he might have had the ability to come back to UConn with the Temple coaching change (still somewhat awkwardly, but that is the world of recruiting we live in). But because his dad threw the UConn coaches under the bus publicly (and probably rightly so), it may end up hurting his son in the long run. Again, just another example why burning your bridges is not a good idea in this college recruiting world--you never know what is going to happen.

Although, maybe he does end up coming back to UConn when we have a completely new coaching staff in 4 weeks ! ;)
Maybe he ends decommiting from Temple and going to Baylor if he likes Rhule.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Missouri is in the Eastern SEC which is easier without Alabama, Auburn, and LSU also.

Both have big issues and in Waco being good will be good enough.

Reaction Score
It has been a good decade since anyone without Texas roots or experience did well as a Football Head Coach. And that's counting Mike Leach as that guy.

Reaction Score
On the surface it looks like an odd pairing. A Pennsylvania Guy heading up a Baptist School in Waco, Texas. The reality is that Baylor desperately needed an image rehabilitation as well as a toughening up of what is a very soft team. Matt will do both in spades. Whether he will be successful long term is certainly TBD.

That said from his perspective he had taken Temple as far as he could. A bunch of his top players were graduating and he was going to have to build the program up again as you don't simply reload at Temple. With his dream job at PSU not looking like it may open for a long time, the time was right to make life changing money for his family. I suspect that Baylor was more than a little desperate to get a coach in place, and Matt was likely a major beneficiary of that desperation. Congrats to Matt. He is truly a quality individual.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Maybe now we can finally beat Temple (probably not though)
Temple has always been a pain in the . I remember special teams in the late Memorial Stadium days. Sad

Reaction Score

Damn Hathaway.
Leads the league in orange cones.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I get taking the money, but Baylor is possibly the worst P5 job in the country. Every school in the country recruits Texas hard. With Briles gone, Baylor will be back to out of the Top 10 of the pecking order for Texas recruits, to say nothing of the restrictions I am sure the university is imposing. Try taking a recruiting class that will be out of the Top 50, and competing with a rejuvenated Texas, TCU, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, West Virginia and Kansas State.

I am not sure why anyone thinks Baylor is going to be a 6-6 school without Briles bringing in the thugs. Someone has to finish last in that league, and Baylor looks like a good candidate to be regularly at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom