Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now he’s really doubling down. I like it, but any disappointment and that seat is awfully warm.
There's been a tremendous amount of talk since day 1, more talk leading up to now, and this sure sounds like doubling down. This type of stuff can lead to the coach and players tightening up, let's hope it fuels them instead.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
If we make it out of week 1 it will be a pleasant surprise. Coach hasn’t shown the ability to get his guys to show up when the bright lights get even brighter.
thumbsdown.png

Reaction Score
It has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard come from a coaches mouth. Ed Cooley is the pinnacle of mediocrity and he's lecturing another fan base to accept mediocrity. Probably just to make himself feel better.
Agreed. It was just ironic

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
UConn won a lot of games against good teams by 10+. It’s an odd season.
And that goes to the can’t win close games argument

Reaction Score
We have improved every single season he's been here. Now it comes to winning in the tournament, which starts Thursday. If we go out round 1 you won't find anyone here defending him
How were we better this year? Worst finish in conference and lost same game in the tournament.

Reaction Score
I’m very much a fan of not using that timeout in most situations. But in the unlikely scenario where your 23 year old senior point guard doesn’t realize he actually needs to run while playing basketball, I suppose you should probably call it

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When your best player has a very off game, it's going to be hard to win. Hawk missed a number of wide open threes. Joey C had two very clean looks down the stretch and couldn't hit one... that's the way it goes.... shots made (like the bomb the Marquette guy made as the clock was running down) and shots missed, like a number from Hawkins and the last two from Joey C... We are still a threat in the Big Dance... I hope!
Yes.

One thing that this game demonstrated was that we could have basically no-shows from two of our most important players and still be in position to beat one of the better teams in the country.

I personally believe that our ceiling exceeds any other school in the country but I also believe that all too often our team's collective basketball IQ is barely at a high school level, and that by allowing the opponent to dictate the pace of the game, a lesser opponent can remove most of the advantages we have.

I am looking forward to the tournament, primarily the officiating as this season gave the appearance that in Bid East play UConn needs to play with different rules on foul calls than the remainder of the conference. I cannot think of one Big East game that we played this year where the calls were fair.

We have the ability to make a run in the NCAA's. We just need to get our heads in the game.

Reaction Score
UConn won a lot of games against good teams by 10+. It’s an odd season.
They just don’t get good shots at the end of close games. That’s been one of the major issues with not having a true point guard to run the offense.

Reaction Score
Is this really your argument defending why a guy who had 7 and 5 in 10 minutes, was +10 and was in the game during a huge run didn’t play more?
Uh…yes. Clingan has been kept in too long and made mistakes, and he doesn’t finish nearly as strong as Adama does. Adama was the least of our issues today.

Reaction Score
This game proved how different we are without Andre on the floor. If someone can find our plus minus numbers I bet his was through the roof.

Reaction Score
2 things that stand out. Hurley shudda called a To when newton crossed timeline and joey C shudda got pulled for Alleyne after first brick he shot right before his final shot. Plus put in Alleyne for defensive purposes. Tuff L -Marquette D was out of thier minds and pulled shots out of thier a#### all night. Hurley still refuses 2 bigs even with hawk ice cold and Jax in foul trouble. Clingan Adama joey c Alleyne all played well. Tuff L. No one’s gonna be at garden tmrw night for 2 hick Midwest teams. Bad for big east. That place must be empty tonight too right now. Ugh. Killed the whole weekend. Tuff one. Still can’t get past semis - 3 straight years.

Reaction Score
It's just one game. But unfortunately now we really need two wins in the NCAAT for this to be considered a successful season to me. I said in September we needed 3 post-season wins, and I still feel the same way. Gets that much harder with another quick BET exit.

Not feeling great right now.
This program needs to win a couple of NCAA tourney wins bad. A BE T title plus a first round win at least would have been something at the beginning of the season we would have seen as a positive step. This regular nocon season was better than I thought. This BE season was worse than I thought after seeing them dominate early. The team needs two wins minimum. It is good enough to go further.

Reaction Score
I could not believe that happened. Go for the two. Take it to the hoop, get fouled.
Based on what happened every time Newton drove to the hoop all game, you can’t have assumed that we were getting any call on a drive to the hoop. You would have liked to get it to SAnogo down low, but our best player at getting him the ball down low wasn’t smart enough to avoid taking himself out of the game with unnecessary fouls.

Reaction Score
A very winnable loss. I can’t believe we did nothing offensively when their key 3 went to the bench. Would’ve like to see the ball get inside more towards the end.

Reaction Score
This game proved how different we are without Andre on the floor. If someone can find our plus minus numbers I bet his was through the roof.
He killed us on the floor, didn’t do a thing to help and played bad defense. He was more frustrating than Hawk because he’s an upperclassman and should eventually get things right, but never did.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When did our comeback start and who was in for it?
I hate to say this but having Andre and Hawkins on the bench helped quite a bit during that stretch.

Reaction Score
He killed us on the floor, didn’t do a thing to help and played bad defense. He was more frustrating than Hawk because he’s an upperclassman and should eventually get things right, but never did.
58-48 he came in. Next thing u know its 60-60. Id like to see the numbers

Reaction Score
Is this really your argument defending why a guy who had 7 and 5 in 10 minutes, was +10 and was in the game during a huge run didn’t play more?
Sometimes Hurley plays three-dimensional chess by taking out key players when we're making a run because reasons.

Reaction Score
A lot of casual fans in this thread. We lost to a top ten team by two. Our best player was ice cold - you want Hurley to take the shots for him? AJ, as much as people dislike him, brings intensity and is an exceptional facilitator of the basketball and plays great defense. Both those guys were non-existent all game - that’s not DHs fault. Couple that with Newton getting mailed all game and Marquette unable to miss a shot in the 2nd half and this is what you get.

Hurley made a nice adjustment to zone and it smothered them. He gave Allenye valuable minutes and it paid off. I was disappointed about the lack of timeout at the end, but what are you going to do - sometimes in games like this you gotta let them play. We had a play at the end Newton just couldn’t hit the pass.

We are a three seed come Sunday. We are 25-8. Let’s see what happens next Thursday\Friday before we call the season a failure.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I hate to say this but having Andre and Hawkins on the bench helped quite a bit during that stretch.
I actually thought when Jackson came in for the zone he did well. But it was one of his worst overall games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom