Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Marquette really set the tone at the beginning of each half. Came out of the break and UConn decided to play under the screen on Kolek to start and he drains the 3, baffling decision there. UConn is a team that really has to play with a lead and establish that before it gets to that under 4 mark. They just couldn’t ever get a lead. It’s troubling that they cannot seem to win these tight games when it’s tied or they’re down a possession. It’s a trend. Maybe it changes when they get a lead guard who can force the issue but for now, this is how it plays out. Hopefully they can get to a second weekend.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I have no problem not calling the timeout right away, but felt like one should have been called around 4 seconds once we didn't get anything in transition
What do you hope to get having to inbounds and execute in 4 seconds?

Reaction Score
Open looks from 3. Missed ft. NQot a Hurley problem a player problem. NCAAs will be different. Teams that haven't seen UCONN. Games called differently. It will be great if UCONN gets East. I'm not counting on it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You love piling on Hurley no matter what, we lost by 2 points in a game where our first round pick couldn’t make a shot…and our other two shooters couldn’t get it going. I know you hate Hurley but be objective a little bit about where the fault lies.
You’re blaming the players and not the guy in charge. Players change, results stay the same

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I just wanted Hawkins to take it to the hole and let them foul him. It was better than a fall away three-pointer
I've been complaining all year that we need to set up a play early in each half that has Hawkins slashing to the rim. He's an athlete and we play most of the early parts of the game with him as a spot up shooter.

Yes, he can shoot but I k ow if very few who weren't better from distance once they saw a shot go through the hoop.

As far as the last couple of possessions, all we needed to do was score two points. We needed to put the ball inside first (Marquette had to defend it). We could have then kicked it out.

Reaction Score
Tough to “draw anything up” when you can’t get past anyone off the dribble. It’s our biggest shortcoming and it hurt us at the end.

But you need to take that timeout, especially one it was clear the defense was set up.

Reaction Score
What do you hope to get having to inbounds and execute in 4 seconds?
We get open 3's for Karaban and Hawkins all the time on out of bounds plays

Reaction Score
It’s crazy because UConn Twitter complaining about the zone. The zone got us back in it. They couldn’t hit anything with Donovan in the paint. They hit a three when we put Hawk and Adama back in.
This 100+. Hawk wasn’t even playing D and Clingan was in their heads. Bad player decision management.

Reaction Score
This is our ceiling folks……one win in the BET

Anyone confident about next week??
Nope. It will be tough to watch us going down to a 13 seed. Sure key players didn’t have good games tonite but it was still there for the taking. Where was Clingan at the end of the game? 30+ games in and the coach still has no clue….timeouts, subs, just awful…

Reaction Score
You love piling on Hurley no matter what, we lost by 2 points in a game where our first round pick couldn’t make a shot…and our other two shooters couldn’t get it going. I know you hate Hurley but be objective a little bit about where the fault lies.
At the end of the day it's his program and ultimately the results are his responsibility.

Losing this game isn't the end of the world but people should be frustrated. If they're not then it's sad how far expectations have fallen

Reaction Score
This was the season to do something….impact transfers….pre season POY….#2 in the country ranking a month into the season….

And we flame out in the semi finals.

I know many of you don’t want to hear this and ignore it.

But this was the season to win one of these things.

Instead we don’t even make the final.

Another flameout.

When will that change? Will it change?

BTW - Crowd didn’t have it at the garden tonight. Was there. No second home tonight.

Reaction Score
Touchè. I don’t think he was observing there though. Newton missed Sanogo wide open in the paint. The play was there, they just didn’t execute. Hindsight is 20/20. Disappointing result though. I wanted this one. I still think we’re the best team and it sucks. Hawkins has to have a quick mental turn around. We have to get out of the 1st weekend
Hawk looked very downtrodden. He needs to show his mental toughness. AJax will respond because he’s tough and goes all out no matter what, and no one can budge Sanogo. It’s all on Hawk now, can’t be pouty.

Reaction Score
Can't call the TO with 4 seconds. Only option there is to call it right as he gets over the line with ~7-7.5. Thing is, then Shaka can set his D, run an inbound play, trap the ball in the corner, etc. As it was, their D was not set, especially down low. Sanogo was open but Newton didn't see it - which is OK.

Calling or not calling a TO there is pretty much a coin flip of which is a better outcome.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
If we make it out of week 1 it will be a pleasant surprise. Coach hasn’t shown the ability to get his guys to show up when the bright lights get even brighter.
We should have a good opportunity to do that as a 3 seed, which we should be. I like our chances in a 3-14 game, and then in a 3-6 or 3-11 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom