Marisa Moseley named head coach at her alma mater Boston University. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marisa Moseley named head coach at her alma mater Boston University.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good move for Marisa. Reminds me of what Geno talked about during one of his press conferences up in Albany. He was asked about Dawn's progression as a coach and Geno talked about the importance of young coaches learning how to coach and how it's easier (and better) to do so at a school where every mistake isn't scrutinized.

Q. Over the years, you've seen Dawn, built Temple, South Carolina, worked alongside you on the last Olympic staff. Can you talk about just watching her through the years and what you thought she really possesses or any special qualities?

COACH GENO AURIEMMA: It's one of those stories, I think Felisha was talking about it yesterday, about young coaches who need an opportunity to coach and need an opportunity to show what they can do.

Dawn was start [smart] enough to do it at a place where your mistakes aren't going to be to be scrutinized every day, so she was able to learn how to coach at Temple. She was probably learning to coach the whole time she played, you know, when you play a lot of basketball. And that doesn't mean you've played a lot of basketball, you're going to be a great coach. Although, every kid that I've ever coached on the Olympic Team thinks they can coach better than me, but that's just the way those people think.

But she did it the right way. You know, she went to a place and learned how to coach, and then when the opportunity came to coach at a place when you could win the National Championship, she's made the most of it, taken advantage of it.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
But the opening is for someone to coach post/front court players, no?

Good question. I’ve always known that CD has the forwards and Shea the guards, but I’m not exactly certain if Marisa has a specific position responsibility. She may simply back up CD.

With that said, while Chloe played guard at MD, a good coach should be able to coach any position.

I always thought Marisa was the post coach. This paragraph from the BU press release seems to allude to that:

"Her primary responsibilities at UConn were coaching the post players, creating individual and skill development workouts, preparing scouting reports, and working with marketing and video services on digital media platforms, presentations and highlight films. In 2012, she assisted in scouting for Coach Auriemma and the gold-medal winning U.S. National Team at the London Olympics."

Sure this description was ok'd by the respective schools' sports information departments.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nice statement by Stewie: "Not only did she help push me to be where I am today on the court but she was someone who was always in my corner off the court," former UConn All-American Breanna Stewart said in a statement. "Boston University, you got a good one: a fierce competitor that will do all she can to create a successful basketball program, but will more importantly create a family atmosphere that will never die."

UConn Assistant Marisa Moseley Named Coach At Boston University, Her Alma Mater

Reaction Score
Paige Sauer, Stacey Hansmeyer were coaches at some point. Ann Strother was doing something at Colorado State. Someone mentioned Morgan Valley as well. Keep it in the family. Get Sveta back....

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Good move for Marisa. Reminds me of what Geno talked about during one of his press conferences up in Albany. He was asked about Dawn's progression as a coach and Geno talked about the importance of young coaches learning how to coach and how it's easier (and better) to do so at a school where every mistake isn't scrutinized.

Q. Over the years, you've seen Dawn, built Temple, South Carolina, worked alongside you on the last Olympic staff. Can you talk about just watching her through the years and what you thought she really possesses or any special qualities?

COACH GENO AURIEMMA: It's one of those stories, I think Felisha was talking about it yesterday, about young coaches who need an opportunity to coach and need an opportunity to show what they can do.

Dawn was start [smart] enough to do it at a place where your mistakes aren't going to be to be scrutinized every day, so she was able to learn how to coach at Temple. She was probably learning to coach the whole time she played, you know, when you play a lot of basketball. And that doesn't mean you've played a lot of basketball, you're going to be a great coach. Although, every kid that I've ever coached on the Olympic Team thinks they can coach better than me, but that's just the way those people think.

But she did it the right way. You know, she went to a place and learned how to coach, and then when the opportunity came to coach at a place when you could win the National Championship, she's made the most of it, taken advantage of it.

Agree with this premise and practice, if possible. Megan Duffy, who is about the same age as Marisa, landed her first job at Miami of Ohio and in her first year outperformed pre-season predictions with a 20+ win season and WNIT berth. Will see how her first recruiting classes work out.

Hope Marisa is able to get out of the gate well, find success and learn along the way. The only difference I can see is that this is her alma mater, which I'm sure has both advantages but also adds some pressures. Good luck!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Paige Sauer, Stacey Hansmeyer were coaches at some point. Ann Strother was doing something at Colorado State. Someone mentioned Morgan Valley as well. Keep it in the family. Get Sveta back....

Stugotz is that you?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It’s a little early for this nomination (I think she has other plans at this point): Kia Nurse.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So here are some thoughts on Marisa's replacement:
  • Needs to be able to coach post players
  • A respected individual with some serious name recognition that will attract recruits
  • Part of the UConn WBB family
  • Potential future HC once Geno steps down
Rebecca?

Reaction Score
Does A. Boston, who she has been recruiting for UCONN, turn northeast and follow MM to BU?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Marisa has grabbed the pebbles from master Po's (Geno) hand, and traversed the rice paper without leaving a trace, time for her to go. She has learned basketball from a coaching perspective from one of the best. She's learned how to win, and what it takes to win. She's learned how to judge perspective talent. Now it's time for her to begin to make her own mark (reputation) in WCBB. We all wish her the very best, and we'll follow her program for many years to come. Best of luck to you Marisa!!! :)

The speculation machine has already started, and kicked into high gear as everyone tries to figure out (anticipate) who her replacement will be. Grad assistant Chole Pavlec has already been mentioned. I'm sure we'll hear every UConn alum's name from Dee to Rebecca Lobo mentioned before Geno announces her replacement. He may go with a former UConn player, or go with a non UConn alum (like Marisa), and give another outsider that has been reccomended to him by other coaches he knows and respects, that has aspirations of learning from him, and perhaps running her own program one day. I'm sure some poster will start a poll in the next 24-48 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If Geno had followed your advice in 2009 we never would have had Marisa!

Reaction Score
Good luck to Marissa!!!! As far as her replacement goes, it will likely be someone Geno has had experience with like in Marissa's case - Marissa had worked his camps while she was on the Minnesota staff. I would think if he chooses a former player, it will be someone with previous coaching experience rather than someone without such. Also doubtful it would be someone who would like to continue playing in the WNBA also.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have the perfect nominee:

414GwxhkUuL.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Since Moseley coached the post players, the new coach may likely be a former post player (as Mosley was). Don't forget, Moseley came to UConn with prior coaching experience. Moseley was an assistant at Minnesota and Denver. She was also a production assistant at ESPN (= contacts) for 1 year. She graduated from BU’s College of Arts & Sciences in 2004 with a degree in sociology. Geno will have lots of candidates to choose from. I'm sure he'll be getting lots of phone calls and emails from assistant coaches and recently retired professional players interested in interviewing for the position. It's no secret that being an assistant coach at UConn is a highly coveted position. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations Marisa Moseley!! I am happy and sad about this announcement. I am happy Coach Moseley will be advancing to Head Coach, but sad that she will no longer be on UConn's bench sitting next to Coach Ralph.

Reaction Score
Does not seem like a step up to go from assistant at UConn to HC at BU.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So here are some thoughts on Marisa's replacement:
  • Needs to be able to coach post players
  • A respected individual with some serious name recognition that will attract recruits
  • Part of the UConn WBB family
  • Potential future HC once Geno steps down
Rebecca?
Too much of a pay cut.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member