Louisville's Move To The ACC Suddenly 'Not A Done Deal' | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Louisville's Move To The ACC Suddenly 'Not A Done Deal'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
McMurphy now says that Jurich informed the BE/AAC they were leaving in 2011. Well before they had the ACC invite..... Cue conspiracy kitty???

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...m-jurich-saves-4-million-louisville-cardinals

>>Even without an invitation to join another conference in 2011, Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich took a huge gamble by giving a 27-month notice to Big East Conference officials that the Cardinals were going to leave.<<

>>UL was able to negotiate a lower amount because Jurich, as required by the league's by-laws, informed then-Big East commissioner John Marinatto and South Florida president Judy Genshaft in October 2011 that the Cardinals would leave the league in 27 months, Marinatto said.<<

>>Marinatto and Genshaft unsuccessfully tried to get Jurich to reconsider, but Jurich reiterated on Oct. 13, 2011 -- the same day Big East officials met with potential member Central Florida -- that he was providing verbal notice that Louisville would exit the Big East. The next day, Jurich notified Genshaft, the chair of the Big East's board of directors who was in London at the time, of Louisville's plans on a conference call with Marinatto. Unable to change Jurich's mind, Marinatto and Genshaft asked Jurich not to submit a withdrawal letter because it could be obtained through a public records search and they feared knowledge of Louisville's decision would hurt the league's stability.

Jurich agreed not to submit the letter, but notified other Big East athletic directors over the following months that Louisville was leaving the league.>>

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's a dumpster fire with grease and tires and even some misplaced nuclear reactor fuel rods with the carcasses of dead puppies scattered about.

And worse, Tulane.

Reaction Score
McMurphy now says that Jurich informed the BE/AAC they were leaving in 2011. Well before they had the ACC invite..... Cue conspiracy kitty???

That would mean that the BE gave absolutely no money to Ville since 2011, as per the bylaws, yet Ville has been reporting conference revenue.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I still don't see how that was a "huge gamble". There is no way the AAC was kicking them out if they didn't find a home within 27 months. Jurich is a smart dude.

Reaction Score
That would mean that the BE gave absolutely no money to Ville since 2011, as per the bylaws, yet Ville has been reporting conference revenue.
Is that true? I guess it was a gamble then.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
And now I bet the reason why the UConn-Rutgers football series is not officially announced is because Rutgers and the AAC have not yet come to terms...

Reaction Score
Hold on.
Am I supposed to blindly believe that Louisville old the BE they were leaving without a conference to fall back on? That actually makes Jurich look like an idiot if this is to be believed, no?

By the way, I don't necessarily believe it.

Reaction Score
And now I bet the reason why the UConn-Rutgers football series is not officially announced is because Rutgers and the AAC have not yet come to terms...

I would bet that Rutgers will add the Florida schools if they are going to schedule AAC teams in order to keep their Florida recruiting alive

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I would bet that Rutgers will add the Florida schools if they are going to schedule AAC teams in order to keep their Florida recruiting alive
A future UConn-Rutgers series was leaked (among other yet to be announced and now announced series between other schools) on the Big Ten master schedule spreadsheet. There's a thread about it on the football tab.

Reaction Score
I still don't see how that was a "huge gamble". There is no way the AAC was kicking them out if they didn't find a home within 27 months. Jurich is a smart dude.

This was clearly done because Ville was under the impression it was leaving for the B12.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
This was clearly done because Ville was under the impression it was leaving for the B12.
yes, they almost outmaneuvered WVU in the 11th hour...

Reaction Score
So when it was clearly UConn vs. Louisville, Warde had apparently already known that Louisville was already sitting there as what amounted to a former BE/AAC school with no home...he had to figure - at least someone upwards in the UConn hierarchy - that Ville was going to go absolute balls to the wall to make their last gasp for air once that ACC opening took place.

Hmmm.

Reaction Score
So when it was clearly UConn vs. Louisville, Warde had apparently already known that Louisville was already sitting there as what amounted to a former BE/AAC school with no home...he had to figure - at least someone upwards in the UConn hierarchy - that Ville was going to go absolute balls to the wall to make their last gasp for air once that ACC opening took place.

Hmmm.

I want to know if WM knew that Louisville had given it's notice to bail before he was hired in 2/12!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I want to know if WM knew that Louisville had given it's notice to bail before he was hired in 2/12!
Hatheway scribbled it down then put the note in his desk somewhere.

Reaction Score
Uh, folks, this is Jurich bragging about something that is patently ridiculous. I swear, Jurich can make anything up and people will believe him. He never sent the letter in because it would have meant no revenues for Louisville.

If anything, the BE had leverage over him. They could have said that they continued to pay Louisville despite Jurich's stated intention in 2011.

This didn't give him any leverage. The guy is good, but he reminds me of James Cameron the director of "Titantic." OK, so you made $500 million on a movie. Congrats. Now take that horn you're tooting and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Reaction Score
Uh, folks, this is Jurich bragging about something that is patently ridiculous. I swear, Jurich can make anything up and people will believe him. He never sent the letter in because it would have meant no revenues for Louisville.

If anything, the BE had leverage over him. They could have said that they continued to pay Louisville despite Jurich's stated intention in 2011.

This didn't give him any leverage. The guy is good, but he reminds me of James Cameron the director of "Titantic." OK, so you made $500 million on a movie. Congrats. Now take that horn you're tooting and stick it where the sun don't shine.

I tend to agree w/ your assessment of TJ but the article makes it appears that McMurphy got confirmation from Marinade - "The university was able to negotiate a lower amount because Jurich, as required by the league's bylaws, informed then-Big East commissioner John Marinatto and South Florida president Judy Genshaft in October 2011 that the Cardinals would leave the league in 27 months, Marinatto said."

Could just be crafty writing but...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I tend to agree w/ your assessment of TJ but the article makes it appears that McMurphy got confirmation from Marinade - "The university was able to negotiate a lower amount because Jurich, as required by the league's bylaws, informed then-Big East commissioner John Marinatto and South Florida president Judy Genshaft in October 2011 that the Cardinals would leave the league in 27 months, Marinatto said."

Could just be crafty writing but...

Dunno. Maybe they should have stiffed Ville from the start. They would have lost a ton of money.

Reaction Score
It had to be that that back in 2011, Louisville was going to the Big 12...Maryland was still months away from coming to an agreement with the Big Ten.

Hoo Boy...no wonder those Louisville guys burned up the phone lines seking ACC allies like FSU and Clemson...they needed a home.

Reaction Score
SouthronCross,I hope you realise my post wasn't aimed at your thoughtful,honest post's that never seemed tinged with arrogant elitism!I noted your sensitivity and consideration to others here! I do hope you'll stick around the BY with your contributions.

No worries, Nicky. The thought never crossed my mind.

Looking forward to talking hoops with UConn fans.

Reaction Score
Naw Nicky...I have your post aimed at me...

And I am good with that thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01