Louisville's Move To The ACC Suddenly 'Not A Done Deal' | The Boneyard

Louisville's Move To The ACC Suddenly 'Not A Done Deal'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But Maryland has already resigned the conference...how can they stay? The ACC sinmply does not schedule them. Regardless of the lawsuit's timeline.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
OK... regardless of the the exit fee lawsuit I still think Maryland leaves, but in the off chance they decide to stay permanently...

Does the B1G get to rescind their invite to Rutgers? Or would they grab us to replace Maryland? And would Louisville still get their invite to the ACC honored (so as to protect them from getting picked up by Big 12), and if so would the ACC come calling to get us? hmmm... the possibilities.

But back to reality. Maryland is gone.

Reaction Score
I do not think that Maryland can DECIDE to stay...they have resigned...their resignation was accepted and their spot filled.

I find the whole statement kind of mystifying.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
From a practical standpoint, Maryland hasn't actually left yet. If all parties decided to kiss and make up, they'd find a way to make it work. But that would be unprecedented.

Reaction Score
I think it could be a pressure play by Maryland..."We won't leave with the suit unsettled...and Louisville can't come in..Nyah, Nyah".

But..I do not see this reported anywhere else...wondering how accurate.

But, I think that Maryland leaves....the ACC schedulers should be planning brutal retaliatory 2014 schedules just in case...travel on Thursdays to the farthest flung televised games...no bye week before big games, no playing of Duke or UNC in Maryland, etc

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I do not think that Maryland can DECIDE to stay...they have resigned...their resignation was accepted and their spot filled.

I find the whole statement kind of mystifying.
Maybe the final paperwork still hasn't been signed... I recall that during legal proceedings this summer that it was revealed that Maryland had not yet in fact withdrawn yet and they were counter-suing the ACC for revenue that was withheld. Now, this was prior to July 1st though, and since the ACC requires a 1-year notice, I'm sure some sort of official notice has been given already. But sure makes you scratch your head for Ramsey to say that...

pj

Reaction Score
Maybe Maryland hasn't given notice yet, and they are willing to delay their move to the B1G by a year in order to minimize damages in the lawsuit? If they haven't left, they get to see what the cost would be before deciding what to do. And they inflict costs and confusion upon the ACC, where any retaliatory countermeasures against Maryland (a conference member) expose them to expensive damages, and they don't know how to schedule. That motivates the ACC to settle.

This actually makes some sense from Maryland's point of view, if departing puts them at risk of a $50 mn exit fee plus as much as ~2 years or $45 mn of withheld league money (legally, they shouldn't be at risk of both, but since lawsuits are conducted in separate courts, an irrational outcome is not impossible; and even if they could eventually recover withheld money, it might take years and expensive court costs).

If this is indeed the situation, it could create quite a mess if the ACC doesn't settle.

If Maryland has indeed refrained from withdrawing (meaning the B1G has accepted a potential 1 year delay in Maryland's entry, having 13 members for one year), then likely outcomes are:
1) Maryland and the ACC settle for a small enough amount that Maryland willingly leaves for the B1G. Status quo. ACC is satisfied and B1G waits to see if it can create a B12 schism.
2) Maryland and the ACC make up, in which case either
(a) Louisville is uninvited from the ACC, and the B1G may invite UConn to replace Maryland;
(b) Louisville is uninvited, the B1G chooses to go with 13 teams and wait to see if they can arrange a B12 schism and choose their adds then;
(c) Louisville and UConn are invited together to the ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A lot of nervous peeps in Louisville right now. The most distubing part is "a lot of things have to fall into place" Maryland may be wanting to stay is what a couple "insiders" are saying.

Reaction Score
A lot of nervous peeps in Louisville right now. The most distubing part is "a lot of things have to fall into place" Maryland may be wanting to stay is what a couple "insiders" are saying.

It makes me wander if Delany's trip to Maryland for a public forum was also an attempt to convince those having 2nd thoughts at Maryland to go forward with the move to the B1G as planned.
http://povichcenter.org/povich-symposium-a-b1g-hit/

Reaction Score
Theoretically Maryland can play a Big Ten schedule for one year while still being an ACC member. They won't be eligible for a championship game and the bowl lineup for them will be different but that can actually satisfy both parties.

I don't expect this to happen, mind you, but it's an interesting option for Maryland to pursue to try to convince ACC to drop the lawsuit.

Reaction Score
Of course the ACC could counter...all teams in the ACC for 2014 must submit a GOR effective immediately....please submit yours and we will schedule for 2014.....

Reaction Score
How long until the West Virginia crackheads start tweeting "insider" information about how MD is no longer going to the B1G?

Reaction Score
I think this blog may be a little bogus...I find no other mention....

Reaction Score
Sounds absurd.... but it wouldn't be all that bad if we had one more year of Louisville in the American. Misery loves company ;)

Reaction Score
This would be beneficial to UConn. Therefore, it won't happen. I agree with the comment above that UConn could be considered by the B1G, or the ACC takes UL and UConn. It at least would start movement in the conferences where we need some.

I think this is the ACC playing games. Harder for them to justify damages where they've replaced MD with better revenue sports in UL. This way they are still saying "Hey, we didn't ok you're exit. We still think you are a valuable member." There's no putting this toothpaste back in the tube.

Reaction Score
Could be that joey Brown, the wave3 reporter just coopied the info in the blog as news....

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Added Kenny Klein, U of L’s sports information director: “Maryland’s got a legal situation they’re working out.”U of L was tabbed to replace Maryland, one of two Big Ten Conference additions next year along with Rutgers. But until Maryland pays a buyout — or the Terrapins determine some sort of settlement with the ACC — U of L’s move isn’t official. That hasn’t changed since U of L’s invitation arrived last year.

Reaction Score
But the ACC hasn't scheduled Maryland for next year and the B1G has....I figure that by June 2014 (Maryland's planned exit point), the ACC wil have withheld $28-30 million.

Maryland will be going in 7 months, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom