Louisville Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Louisville Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It's not just Caroline's hustle, she knows where to hustle to. Like all good players , she makes it look effortless. She's a Pheesa type player,, though Collier was not as good at this point. Gotta say, without the injuries there's no telling how far UConn would have gotten into the season before finding out what kind of player she is. Clear evidence that ya got to play players!
Completely agree with Caroline's on court awareness and fearlessness. But even with everyone healthy, she would have broken into the rotation based on her practice results. The ND game when Paige and Nika were still available shows that. Geno just does not have patience when players look lost on the court.

Reaction Score
I’m not a fan of moral victories but given the loss of two point guards, I’ll take it.

Caroline and Dorka have shown consistent effort the last two games. The seniors, not so much.
I’m not surprised by the outcome. Against a tough-minded defensive team like Louisville, UConn’s lack of a true point guard is exposed. Westbrook does her best, but she is not a true facilitator.
UConn certainly had their opportunities, but needed someone, preferably a four-year starter to step up. Thankfully, Ducharme showed a lot of heart and moxie. However, she is still raw and shouldn’t be expected to be the go-to scorer at this time. When she stops rushing her 3-point shops, she is going be a force, especially when Azzi Fudd is playing, drawing the attention of the opposing defense. Her size allows her to post up and play “big” down low. The only positive of having so many injured players has allowed her more playing time and the ability to make mistakes (making aggressive moves) without worrying about getting the hook. Her future keeps looking brighter. I wish that would apply to the senior players as well.

Reaction Score
In the middle of a move, not able to watch the game but I followed it on Espn box score. Please explain to me how Ono had anything other than a poor game. Really want to know.
Started strong- 2 quick fouls- sat down and lost her mojo.

Reaction Score
CW looked lost out there again. I think Geno needs to have another heart-to-heart talk with her.....
She acts like she cant wait for season to be over. Acts very lethargic, at times looks lost. Certainly not the same player who singlehandedly destroyed N.D. On their home court as a freshman. She has never lived up to the expectations as the #1 recruit coming out of high school.

Reaction Score
It's not just Caroline's hustle, she knows where to hustle to. Like all good players , she makes it look effortless. She's a Pheesa type player,, though Collier was not as good at this point. Gotta say, without the injuries there's no telling how far UConn would have gotten into the season before finding out what kind of player she is. Clear evidence that ya got to play players!
Agree 1,000%.

Reaction Score
As some of us have been saying since day one, Caroline is the key to Uconn beating good teams right now and I continue to believe is our best freshman prospect. Live or die with her right now. That step back 3 point shot at the end is a big part of her game, in addition to her off ball movement and dribble penetration. She can score against top competition and will complement Paige well in March. 8 rebounds today and she even brought the ball up the court well. She doesn't make a lot of bad passes and her defense is right there with anyone on this team not named Paige. I know these things are controversial but this isn't just one game here. Look at her defense. It's as good as anyone else's already, especially in the last 2 games. You could make a strong case for Caroline to be the 2nd best player on this team.

And Dorka continues to be our best rebounder. These games without Paige are showing us which of our players can make plays against top competition. Dorka and Caroline may well still be starters when Paige comes back. This period without Paige has been edifying.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m not surprised by the outcome. Against a tough-minded defensive team like Louisville, UConn’s lack of a true point guard is exposed. Westbrook does her best, but she is not a true facilitator.
UConn certainly had their opportunities, but needed someone, preferably a four-year starter to step up. Thankfully, Ducharme showed a lot of heart and moxie. However, she is still raw and shouldn’t be expected to be the go-to scorer at this time. When she stops rushing her 3-point shops, she is going be a force, especially when Azzi Fudd is playing, drawing the attention of the opposing defense. Her size allows her to post up and play “big” down low. The only positive of having so many injured players has allowed her more playing time and the ability to make mistakes (making aggressive moves) without worrying about getting the hook. Her future keeps looking brighter. I wish that would apply to the senior players as well.
When Paige and Azzi play, the perimeter pressure will be off Caroline, Dorka, Evina, and Christyn. The team’s three point FG average should go up pretty dramatically then.

Reaction Score
Not as optimistic as some, unfortunately. This is a game we could and should have won, playing at home and having the lead for most of the game, including parts of the fourth quarter. But the inability to run any coherent offence against elite-level defense has been the bugaboo of this program not just today, but really since 2017. Props to Geno for at least trying to develop an inside game, but you have to have some level of outside shooting to open that up. And our seniors were not good again today. Except for defensively, which is the one bright spot with this team right now.
We can’t win if the Seniors don’t show up. Where are the clutch players? It’s a pleasure to watch Caroline hustle. AE needs to work on shooting.

Reaction Score
Disappointing but overall compared to expectations, not too bad. The seniors tried, but couldn't provide much help. At this level against a ranked team, they struggle when they need to be a go to player instead of a fit on a very good team.

With Caroline the only available player teams really have to worry about beyond the arc, they can pack in the defense and take away many of the easy baskets inside. That inside production is also hampered by our two best passers being out. Everything on offense is just harder with the players we have left.

I also think we run out of gas in the fourth quarter playing only 6. I don't think it is a toughness issue, rather a fatigue issue. Geno's choice is playing people he doesn't want to, or have gassed overworked players down the stretch, complicated by the only unused players being bigs, when the guards are the ones that need a blow.

It is what it is until some players return, but the team looked much better adjusting to their redefined roles after a week of practices.

Reaction Score
Louisville overperformed today. I think we are on track. On another day this could well have been a win. Louisville was 8-15 from the 3 point line, over 50%.

Reaction Score
Completely agree with Caroline's on court awareness and fearlessness. But even with everyone healthy, she would have broken into the rotation based on her practice results. The ND game when Paige and Nika were still available shows that. Geno just does not have patience when players look lost on the court.
Let this be a lesson to Geno.

Reaction Score
ScheteSo, as I said...it was a game...an early-season game against a very good team
and although we put the fear of god into them, with very good play at times,
they had more at the end.

I also said that the game would be most important for Caroline who was fantastic...better and better as the game went on...does she not remind me of Dave Debusschere (perhaps some of you are too young to remember his game)
She is always looking to get to the basket...can't remember in recent times a UConn player who does that. D improving, rebounds, not afraid.

Dorka, the other player on my watch list had a solid game but not s spectacular as the last....

To me, rather than who stepped up...a better question is ...Who didn't?
I'm not going to sit around right after he game, pointing fingers...

I'll bet that when Geno took Evina out for an extended rest in the 2nd half, there was a physical reason...She's a bit delicate...there is so much you can ask her to do.

But i will say this...If Paige, Azzi and Nika come back strong...Christyn's playing time may be substantially reduced as we compete for higher honors in March.
You got a like for mentioning Dave Debusschere, truly one of the most underated glue players in NBA history.
Anything a team needed he did. Guarded the best player, rebounded, got a key score, steal ,block, or make a great pass.

Reaction Score
overall disappointed. When Azzi and Nika get back, Geno needs to have a shorter leash on C. He needs to stop relying on her because she’s a senior. She certainly does not play like it’s her last season.
I’m over the 6 player rotation again. Amari needs to get more playing time. Let her work through the freshman woes.
I assumed Paige would sit out the season. But with how Geno manages the team and playing time, she will play in February.

Reaction Score
The Edwards/Nelson/Dorka/Williams/Ducharme combo worked well. Westbrook was lost .. Williams is a sad Husky. She never really developed into a force ...
CW has been the same since coming to UCONN. 1-3 eyepoping games a season then average, mediocre, to poor the rest of the way. As a longtime Husky fan I was quite pleased with the spunk shown by CD, she is special. I can't wait to see how she and Paige along with Azzi and Nika all blend together once all the wounds heal. This senior class is a disappointment for me so far, but I am hopeful that we will pull it together and make some noise come tournament time! Until then GO HUSKIES!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I also said that the game would be most important for Caroline who was fantastic...better and better as the game went on...does she not remind me of Dave Debusschere (perhaps some of you are too young to remember his game)
She is always looking to get to the basket...can't remember in recent times a UConn player who does that. D improving, rebounds, not afraid.
I didn't know that Caroline also plays baseball....:cool:

Reaction Score
The difference in the game was LVille shot over 53% from 3. I thought we played hard and we played with guts. We need CW and Evina to find a way to score. When they do thats when we get better. Hoping the holiday break does the team well and Nika and Azzi come back 100% healthy and 100% on the court.
Yep. Hard to beat a team that is that hot from distance when you're missing Paige's 20 points of offense. Louisville misses a couple of those threes and we squeak out a win.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Our leaders are not quite playing up to par, players still doing magic tricks. They’re not making enough plays. Not capitalizing on opponent’s turn overs, and losing steam and energy in the 4 th quarter. What’s the answer for this year and next? Can Geno find help via the transfer portal, or perhaps a JC transfer? Does he need to consider those options?

Looking ahead……do we lose a conference game this year, or will it be another clean sweep?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The difference in the game was LVille shot over 53% from 3. I thought we played hard and we played with guts. We need CW and Evina to find a way to score. When they do thats when we get better. Hoping the holiday break does the team well and Nika and Azzi come back 100% healthy and 100% on the court.
With all due respect the difference in the game was 3 seniors shooting 9 for 28, 0 for 5 from 3 (all Westbrook), with 11 rebounds, 7 assists and 9 TO’s. Really not a big play from any of them in the 4th, at least not one I remember.

Reaction Score
Haven’t read any of the posts here as I just finished watching the game. First I believe we will get better and be a final four team. Ok I was a big believer that this was Williams big year and that she would lead us. I was wrong, her not getting involved immensely during the 4th quarter is totally unacceptable. Great player to have as a piece to the team but not an alpha like I thought she had finally grown into. Reminds me of Charde Houston in that regard, just inconsistent and just seems to lose focus and not assert her will on the game when needed. I believe she has what it takes, but what I believe doesn’t matter. We can’t rely on her in my opinion. The biggest surprise for me was Evian’s POOR decisions ALL GAME. Play after play she just missed open players or threw off target passes. I love her as an all around guard and is an awesome player but she can’t run our team all by herself. Her section making was terrible today. I would have said that win or lose. The team as a whole sometimes makes poor decisions and as is, we don’t have what it takes against the top ten teams. To win against the better teams, Geno is going to have to rely on his coaching more because we’re not good enough talent wise to pull off the wins. We are barely a top ten team in my opinion. The ladies that are injured can’t come back soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom