Loudest game in a basketball Arena that you've ever been lucky enough to experience? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Loudest game in a basketball Arena that you've ever been lucky enough to experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
For those who attended games back when they were in the CC, how was the atmosphere compared to XL today?
Am I missing something?

The Hartford Civic Center = The XL Center.

It's the same building.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Am I missing something?

The Hartford Civic Center = The XL Center.

It's the same building.
I never went to a game back when it was the Civic Center, I assumed it had less/different seating as well as a different era of UConn fans.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I never went to a game back when it was the Civic Center, I assumed it had less/different seating as well as a different era of UConn fans.
No, not really anything else changed except for the name. I recall the seats used to be purple. Know they are blue. Other cosmetic changes have been made to the concourse over the last year or so, but that is about it. The bar on one end actually took out about 300 or so seats. I do recall more sell outs, but that was only to my minds eye and except for the student section and band, the lower bowl was always packed with the higher paying, lesser cheering corporate fan.

C

Chief00

So many great games - The FL game was crazy - was in the runway as Dee Rowe was greeting players coming off the court. What a classy guy, and it struck me how loved he was by today's players.
The AZ game was really crazy too.
Can think of a few Georgetown and Cuse games which were great.
My favorite game ever was 1999 against Duke - it was in an indoor baseball arena but at least in the UConn section and in the concourse before and after the game it was wild. Remember the UConn chants on the bus back to Clearwater and the hotel bar after the game and the early morning flight home - what a trip!

Reaction Score
I am in the camp that says UConn vs. MSU at the Worlds Most Famous Arena. From the train ride in, to the line outside Stub Hub, to the few block walk to the garden, through the game......................nothing but U. C. O. N. N. chants non stop. The game was electric. The Rip vs Mateen Cleaves fan interaction was legendary. The outcome was even better. Anyone who felt UConn didn't reach the NYC market(Delaney I am talking to you) had to have changed their mind that day. UConn owned that day from start to finish to the Empire State Building.

Reaction Score
UConn vs MSU

Also

UConn vs Pitt in the blizzard game in like 2005 when we lost but they let all the students in for free. We were snowed in and spent the entire day drinking before walking to the game. Amazing atmosphere.

Reaction Score
This thread is one of the main reasons I come to the BY. Thanks everyone for posting.

I remember awhile back a similar thread where you tube videos were included as evidence (although being at the arena can be well different from watching a video. Wish someone could bump that thread.

I live in NC and only see UConn when they come down here. For loudest arenas I will say the Canes playoff games at RBC are off the charts noise wise, it drowns out my "Let's go Whalers" chant.

Reaction Score
It would be hard to beat any Kansas-Missouri game at Allen Field House, but the loudest I have ever heard the place was the last game Moo played at Lawrence before jumping to the SEC and watching their hoops program go right down the toilet. This is the pregame intro to that last game in 2012

[video][/video]

Reaction Score
While it's not the loudest game I've been to, one game that I haven't seen mentioned is the 2013 game against Otto Porter/Georgetown at Gampel. Lost the game in double overtime, but, despite the result, I remember being blown away by the atmosphere in the building, especially during a postseason ban year.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
While it's not the loudest game I've been to, one game that I haven't seen mentioned is the 2013 game against Otto Porter/Georgetown at Gampel. Lost the game in double overtime, but, despite the result, I remember being blown away by the atmosphere in the building, especially during a postseason ban year.
If Niels hit that 3 the place would have exploded into a million pieces.

Reaction Score
My uncle in Chicago had Bulls season tickets through the whole Michael Jordan run and I was fortunate enough to get invited to a game every year. The loudest crowd I'd ever heard was for a Bulls/Knicks playoff game at the old Chicago Stadium. It was so loud that I couldn't hear myself think. After the United Center opened, I went to some games there but they could never replicate the vibe of the old place.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The first TENN Women's game at Gampel. Nothing else has come close for me. My ears were ringing for days.

Reaction Score
I haven't been to many great games but my list goes,

1. SMU this past season (Calhoun to Brimah lob was intense)
2. Syracuse in Hartford during postseason ban year
3. Maryland at MSG this past year
4. Pittsburgh the year of Drummond

Reaction Score
1. 2014 MSU Elite Eight at the Garden
2. 2014 Florida at Gampel
3. 2011 Villanova at Gampel

Non UConn:
2014 Kentucky vs Wisconsin Final Four. When harrison hit the shot to give Kentucky the lead Cowboy Stadium went nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom