Loudest game in a basketball Arena that you've ever been lucky enough to experience? | The Boneyard

Loudest game in a basketball Arena that you've ever been lucky enough to experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With tonight's big Spurs and Thunder game, I believe tonight's arena will be the loudest arena in this years NBA season so far....going to be Rockin!!

The thoughts of tonight's game takes me back to the game that I was at when the floor was shaking and it was absolutely bonkers.

Playoffs Game 6 Knicks @ Boston Celtics 2013

Knicks have a 75-49 lead with 9:30 left in 4th

Celtics go on a 20-0 run to cut it to 75-69 in less than 4 mins, with 5:43 left in 4th.

Place was absolutely ludacris, you could see the Knick players totally crap their pants and wanted nothing to do with the big shot, the closest the Celtics got was 79-75 which and when Carmelo stepped up and hit two huge jumpers with one being a 3.

I am a big Knicks fan but I can't stand Melo, but he did step up that night in which no one else even wanted to touch the ball. I was lucky enough to get court side seats by the time the 4th came and YES one of the Boston fans punched because Yes I was being an annoying loud Knick fan in their building. Luckily my wife didn't get upset and the rest of the weekend in Boston was wonderful.

I was wondering what your guys loudest game experience have been??

Reaction Score
Either UConn v Georgetown 1990 Civic Center or UConn v Arizona (I think was defacto #1 until we knocked them off) in Gampel circa 2000
1990 UCONN- GTOWN. winning was still new to us. And GTOWN was the standard we measured ourselves with. And GTOWN was the rough and tumble GTOWN. The building was raucus and the sounds just reverberated off the walls.

Reaction Score
Many to choose from, but a recent experience is UConn vs MSU at MSG for the NCAA game.
I actually have a strong memory of that Uconn vs MSU game, huge amount of Uconn fans there, def part of the reason why Uconn upset them, great W.

Reaction Score
When I was a kid my father would get tickets to the Knicks - Bulls and Knick Heat playoff games at MSG in the 90's.

Those were probably the loudest games I've been to.

Those games and the first half of the UConn Pitt snow game in either 04 or 05.

Reaction Score
some that come to mind:
1) UConn vs MSU - MSG - that place was rocking.
2) UConn vs Zona - Gampel - 2000
3) UConn vs Carolina - 2002 - epic beatdown....at one point we were up close to or above 50.
4) UConn vs Cuse - Civic Center - can't remember the year. Pretty sure it was in the 90's -- uconn went on a late run and pulled it out. Place was rocking. Couple idiot cuse fans - about college age, walked up into section 203 and thats when uconn went on the run. it was awesome.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
1990 UConn-St.John's opening day at Gampel.

I was at that one. Right behind the basket (had the Willy Wonka golden ticket).

Loudest for me is Mizzouri @ Allen Field House. Anthony Peeler scores 43 points, but KU tops Missouri, 98-89, March 8, 1992, and the Jayhawks cut down the nets after assuring a tie for the Big Eight Conference title.

Actually, almost every game I've been to at Allen Field House was louder than any at Gampel or the Civic Center. NCAA says it is the loudest college basketball arena.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
MSU vs. UConn at Gampel in '99.

Michael Buffer made $20 Grand that afternoon.

So loud my head hurt, though the Red Dog the night before could have jad something to do with that.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Maybe UCONN Women v. Tennesse at HCC on a blizzard day Saturday. Taurasi was on team at that time. Place rocked.

Reaction Score
I was at that one. Right behind the basket (had the Willy Wonka golden ticket).

Loudest for me is Mizzouri @ Allen Field House. Anthony Peeler scores 43 points, but KU tops Missouri, 98-89, March 8, 1992, and the Jayhawks cut down the nets after assuring a tie for the Big Eight Conference title.

Actually, almost every game I've been to at Allen Field House was louder than any at Gampel or the Civic Center. NCAA says it is the loudest college basketball arena.
Remember the feeling walking into that place that night? It was magical. It was like we had arrived and were relevant. For people that became fans post-dream season it is hard to imagine what it was like before that season. And the later you became a fan, the less you understand. There was a time when UConn, as a university, never mind as a basketball program, was pretty much irrelevant. Where is that, Alaska? We were that crappy bottom feeder in the Big East that no one paid attention to. We were a university that was, at best, a middle of the pack (I am being generous here) public university that barely anyone outside of the state of CT thought of attending. The campus was, at best, blah. The quality of the students was pretty damn mediocre outside of the honors program. But, many of us attending UConn in the early days of the Calhoun and Auriemma era saw the potential impact of the success of the basketball programs. Yes, it was fun to have winning teams but it was even bigger for the university. The success of the teams affected all UConn alumni, not just the sports fans. And, sure enough, with the wins came name recognition nation wide and money to improve the university which then created more name recognition. Better students started to attend. The university grew and became a nicer place. Better professors were attracted. It was a positive upward spiral that, again, some of us believed was possible if the basketball teams, of all things, became successful. The downside is that many of us became very emotionally invested and, yes, I admit, a bit irrational at times. In some ways, it was critical to us. We knew the value to our degrees hinged on the success of these teams. Becoming relevant was critical. So when it started to happen, it was a great feeling. It was like a door had been opened and, on the other side, was a great future. The Big East tournament that year was surreal for those of us lucky enough to attend.

Reaction Score
January 26th, 2002 UConn versus Arizona at McHale Center in Tucson. Freshman Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor silenced that crazy crowd 100 to 98 in overtime. I think UConn was down by seven in overtime and pulled it out. I almost got killed sitting one row behind the student section.

Reaction Score
For me it would have to be December 2013 game against Florida. However, the loudest I've ever heard any arena at any time was the 2014 National Championship. Stuffed like 9500 excited, screaming, fairly drunk college kids into Gampel to watch a screen. Doubt I'll ever hear it nearly that loud again. What an amazing night.

Reaction Score
January 26th, 2002 UConn versus Arizona at McHale Center in Tucson. Freshman Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor silenced that crazy crowd 100 to 98 in overtime. I think UConn was down by seven in overtime and pulled it out. I almost got killed sitting one row behind the student section.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

So-loud-it-had-to-be-post-4-times loud, huh?

Reaction Score
UConn-Texas in 2010 when Texas came in to Gampel as the #1 team (although they had already lost since the previous rankings). Down 8 at halftime and in the midst of the 13-0 run in the second half that gave them the lead, I have never heard a crowd that loud. I was lucky enough to be in the student section and legitimately could not hear the person next to me if they were screaming at me.

Reaction Score
UConn-Texas in 2010 when Texas came in to Gampel as the #1 team (although they had already lost since the previous rankings). Down 8 at halftime and in the midst of the 13-0 run in the second half that gave them the lead, I have never heard a crowd that loud. I was lucky enough to be in the student section and legitimately could not hear the person next to me if they were screaming at me.
That crowd for the Texas game was unbelievable. I dont know what it was, maybe the fact Texas was #1, or that our team was in somewhat of a slump, or the game was on a Saturday afternoon and a lot of people spent some time at Ted's before the game, but everyone in that crowd was just ready for that game and was probably horse for the next 2 days...at least I was.

UConn-Michigan St in 2014 was loud, as well as the 2011 Big East Championship game vs Louisville. MSG is our second home and UConn fans always make that known when we play there.

Reaction Score
Many to choose from, but a recent experience is UConn vs MSU at MSG for the NCAA game.

Have to agree. My wife would not let me pony up +$500 for that game; but, I could hear it from a packed bar across the street.

Reaction Score
The game vs Kansas at the civic center in 97, the first game without suspended Ricky Moore and Kirk King. Not loud the whole game, but throughout the first half for sure, beating the number one team in the country while shorthanded. When the first half horn went off, it was downright deafening in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom