Loudest game in a basketball Arena that you've ever been lucky enough to experience? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Loudest game in a basketball Arena that you've ever been lucky enough to experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Uconn vs Kansas, January 1997....We jumped out to that big lead to start the game. It's the only time I ever heard the Civic Center get as loud as Gampel.

Reaction Score
Syracuse 2012 at Gampel. Loudest I've heard Gampel (or any UConn crowd) in my 21 years.

Reaction Score
I've been to 100s of UConn and NBA games...so an impossible task. But a few clearly stand out.

After actually watching UConn play in Field House and Civic Center in the late 1908s, I think the 1st game at Gampel....Johnnies in 1990 was awesome! We had student tix and it was general admission, so we slept out to be first in line. THAT was an amazing night.

Kemba's team beating Louisville for BE Championship at MSG -- 5 games in 5 nights was equally loud and incredible.

MSU vs UConn at MSG in Elite Eight was deafening.

Husky fans are loud, knowledgeable and passionate.....deadly combo for opponents!

Reaction Score
MSU vs. UConn at Gampel in '99.

Michael Buffer made $20 Grand that afternoon.

So loud my head hurt, though the Red Dog the night before could have jad something to do with that.

Came here to post that one... That was my first year at UConn and one of my first Gampel games.

Perhaps a bit blasphemous, but I happened to visit my buddy down at Maryland for a Maryland-Duke game at Cole Field House in 01. That was the Juan Dixon, Lonny Baxter team a year before they won it. Maryland lost 98-96 but it was insanely loud. I remember thinking that the ACC atmosphere kind of put ours to shame.

When I was very young, probably about 8-9, I went with a friend to a Celtics-76ers game at the Boston Garden. My memory is hazing, but I remember being blown away by how loud it was especially after Barkley absolutely throttled someone; I think it was Ed Pinckney, on a breakway. I learned all sorts of expletives that day.

Reaction Score
1990 UConn-St.John's opening day at Gampel.
I was at that one. Right behind the basket (had the Willy Wonka golden ticket).

Loudest for me is Mizzouri @ Allen Field House. Anthony Peeler scores 43 points, but KU tops Missouri, 98-89, March 8, 1992, and the Jayhawks cut down the nets after assuring a tie for the Big Eight Conference title.

Actually, almost every game I've been to at Allen Field House was louder than any at Gampel or the Civic Center. NCAA says it is the loudest college basketball arena.
I was actually watching a special on the old Missouri coach over the weekend and that game they spoke about with Peeler, would of love to been there, lucky you!

Reaction Score
January 26th, 2002 UConn versus Arizona at McHale Center in Tucson. Freshman Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor silenced that crazy crowd 100 to 98 in overtime. I think UConn was down by seven in overtime and pulled it out. I almost got killed sitting one row behind the student section.
Lol, love it, nothing better than winning on the road and silencing the road fans!

Reaction Score
RBC Center. Carolina Hurricanes in the Stanley Cup Finals. Ear bleeding loud. It's basketball arena as well.

Reaction Score
I was 11, and that was my first UConn game. It was insanity.
Forgot about that one, Calhoun was right when he said the crowd noise shook the dust off the rafters.

Reaction Score
The loudest home game of the JC era was that NIT game vs. VCU in the Field House in 1988. Second was that Gtown game in 1990.

No question the VCU game in the Field House. It was so loud the dust was actually falling from the rafters from the noise!

Reaction Score
The loudest home game of the JC era was that NIT game vs. VCU in the Field House in 1988. Second was that Gtown game in 1990.
Georgetown and Cuse back to back the HCC was alive and shaking.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
Have to agree. My wife would not let me pony up +$500 for that game; but, I could hear it from a packed bar across the street.

The narrative leading up to that game with ticket prices skyrocketing was awesome (not the prices, though). And it was sweet sweet payback for that final 4 away game we played against MSU in Detroit in 2009.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was actually watching a special on the old Missouri coach over the weekend and that game they spoke about with Peeler, would of love to been there, lucky you!

I had season tickets all three years of law school. I'm very fond of Gampel, but Allen Field House is just amazing. Incomparable really. I really hope we get in the Big 12 and maybe you guys can take in a game there. Lawrence is a really fun college town too.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
UConn-Texas in 2010 when Texas came in to Gampel as the #1 team (although they had already lost since the previous rankings). Down 8 at halftime and in the midst of the 13-0 run in the second half that gave them the lead, I have never heard a crowd that loud. I was lucky enough to be in the student section and legitimately could not hear the person next to me if they were screaming at me.

Surprised it took until the 2nd page to see this. That game was insanely loud from start to finish. As @Ts5034 mentioned earlier, I think a lot of it had to do with a high level of fan frustration from the season since we had lots of talent and experience but it just never came together consistently (much like this year).

Stanley's dunk set the tone early, and we saw the future stardom of Kemba in the 2nd half of that game.

Reaction Score
Pionerski Hall, Belgrade Red Star against some Russian Team in Euroleague. 13000 in an arena with seating for 8000. The noise never stopped from 2o minutes before tip off. Cheerleaders were the worst ever seen going all the way back to grade school

Reaction Score
Definitely the Texas game at Gampel. The alley oop to Stix that dyson threw from halfcourt was insane. And then the entire 2nd half was incredible. People mention the Syracuse game a couple of years later when gameday was here, I was in the student section for both and I didn't think that even came close. I remember Andy Katz saying it was the loudest building he's been in in years.

MSU at MSG was awesome too, hard to compare noise level in such different buildings, but it was an amazing atmosphere.

Reaction Score
I think the younger you are, the louder it seems...so it's kind of a sliding scale. But for me, in no particular order, the ones that stand out:

- UConn/MSU '09 in Detroit

- UConn/MSU '14 at MSG

- UConn/Cuse '12 at Gampel

For a non-UConn game, game one Celtics-76ers in 2002 was nuts. It was the first playoff basketball game in Boston in seven years and it was a zoo.

Reaction Score
Probably the 2011 Big East Tournament final against Louisville. Place was going crazy from the tip to the final buzzer

Tied for a close 2nd would be Game 6 of the Celtics Heat playoff series in....2012? as well as the first game Paul Pierce and KG returned as members of the Nets. The Garden was insane both times

Reaction Score
I'm sure there's a few you can call a tie but if you don't have the UConn GTown game of 1990 then you're list is off. Easily the loudest ever to that point and I haven't heard many that could contend. I've heard similar but this was the one that stands out, it was deafening. I've said it many times, just listen to and watch the video with Mike Gorman from the beginning and at the 12-0 to 14-0 point you will never find a UConn game that loud.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
MSG

Louisville BET March 2011

MSU E8 March 2014

Reaction Score
The second half of the MSU game was loudest Garden crowd I've heard and that include dozens of Knick and Ranger playoff games. In fact, I remember sitting there and saying to myself amidst the din....this is crazy. There's Michigan State fans here too.

The Texas crowd was the loudest I've ever heard in CT.

Loudest crowd I've ever heard is Shea Stadium Game 6 1986. Not only was it insane... the entire upper deck was swaying.

Reaction Score
I was sitting next to MSU fans at the Garden and they couldn't believe how loud our fans were, but I still believe the VCU NIT game at the Field House was by far the loudest. It was hot and the whole building was actually shaking and the dust was coming down from the ceiling.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No question the VCU game in the Field House. It was so loud the dust was actually falling from the rafters from the noise!

What made it so loud, besides the ravenous-for-a-win fans, was that they put all those extra seats on the apron right on top of the court. I never saw them do that before. Made for a real buzzsaw environment. I almost felt sorry for VCU, That crowd was relentless.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
For those who attended games back when they were in the CC, how was the atmosphere compared to XL today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom