"Lot of work to do" - J. Silver article | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"Lot of work to do" - J. Silver article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just give me a team that fights, plays with emotion, and hates to lose in 2014 and I think the wins will come. The culture needs to change and the sooner it's addressed, the better. I like that HCBD is addressing this now and not in the summer or fall.

Give me the team from the last 2 1/2 games of the season, and I'll be happy. That team had a ton of fight, and had finally begun to heal from the poison PP/GDL inflicted on this program. A good start to build on heading into the HCBD era.

Reaction Score
He can try to set the bar low, but if he wins less than 6 he failed.

and he is on record many times saying he will not ask players to do things they can't do, so if he implements a 3/4 defense and it fails because we don't have the proper personnel, its on him, or if he tries to implement a power running game and it fails because WR's are obviously the strength of this offense (Oline is not a strength) then he failed for not passing the ball in the spread offense.

He would be wise to not completely throw away the things that were working well at the end of last season.
You are kidding right? Love it when everyone thinks they are a head coach. They got like 900 years of coaching experience on the staff, they'll get it right.

Reaction Score
You are kidding right? Love it when everyone thinks they are a head coach. They got like 900 years of coaching experience on the staff, they'll get it right.

If you don't like reading fan opinions then maybe The Boneyard isn't for you. BTW I too think they will get it right.

Not for nothing, but there have been many instances the last few years where a consensus opinion on the Boneyard has been way ahead of the curve even without the 900 years of coaching experience.

Reaction Score
  • He would be wise to listen to his position coaches and the game films and not read the boneyard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

• [ ]He would be wise to listen to his position coaches and the game films and not read the boneyard.

I agree, and the game films from the end of last season show that things started to click on offense.

Reaction Score
Did you completely miss UCF last season? They were one of the better teams we have ever been in a conference with and that includes the Rich Rod West Virginia teams.

Houston is on par with Pitt, Cincinnati, Louisville especially now that they have a new stadium which should give them loud crowds at home games.
East Carolina and Tulsa should be tough outs as well. USF will improve. UCONN has its hands full. No cake walk.

Reaction Score
If you don't like reading fan opinions then maybe The Boneyard isn't for you. BTW I too think they will get it right.

Not for nothing, but there have been many instances the last few years where a consensus opinion on the Boneyard has been way ahead of the curve even without the 900 years of coaching experience.

When a detail oriented person in HCBD took over, he began laying the groundwork mentally within the players and all of Husky nation. For the first time in many years, I sit in the off-season encouraged...not discouraged. It takes a confident person in HCBD to grab the bull (or young bulls) by the horns and achieve a paradigm shift. I look at that and the small things being done as the action(s) of a winner. If you do the right things every day, the process starts...and this is a matter of process. The process is what it is all about, IMHO..... I measure every day's efforts... that they do what they are supposed to do with the first exam in 188 days.... whether we get to 6 wins or not immediately is not important, IMO because it will come...when?----don't know but feel that it will take place in the next 24 months so that by year 3 this is a rebuilt and transformed organization.

I have to believe whether there is 900 years of coaching experience or 9000 years of coaching experience, the direction is positive.

Mr. Mets, not withstanding I agree with you on most points on this board but won't agree with you on setting a bar at 6 as a failure. Too many things can happen in the course of a season, barring injuries etc.....I want the bar set higher, not in terms of wins and losses initially,... but outstanding movement of the program. Year 1 is all about the base and foundation.
I agree with you on Casey and having the weapons is a great base and should not be discounted, not abandoned but to built upon-it appears that is the direction we are moving...IMO, if we get Casey a running game, which HCBD is adamant about---, the kid has the ability to throw for 450 to 500 yards every time out-he is that talented and that football smart.

The last part of the season proved what most of us knew and yes, the BY was way ahead of the curve.... this coaching staff gets it, thank God, the Pope, allah, and all the bears that poop in the woods ....we are going back to the Promised Land, when???....enjoy the journey and the process.

Reaction Score
Not sure how you define the old BE, but I don't see programs the caliber of Louisville, Pitt, or WVU with the only exception being Cincinnati which has played very consistent ball. Agree that the departure on Rutgers and Cuse did not dilute competition.
Keep your eye on East Carolina. They are a VA Tech/WVA on the rise. Tulsa can play with any of those teams. USF will compete year in and year out with UCF. Houston and SMU will also improve. If the TV money gets better this ain't a bad conference, especially when Navy comes aboard.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I took what HCBD stated as lighting a fire under the players on the team. He expects them to work hard and get the job done. I don't think he would have taken the job if he thought that he couldn't win in the near future.

Reaction Score
When a detail oriented person in HCBD took over, he began laying the groundwork mentally within the players and all of Husky nation. For the first time in many years, I sit in the off-season encouraged...not discouraged. It takes a confident person in HCBD to grab the bull (or young bulls) by the horns and achieve a paradigm shift. I look at that and the small things being done as the action(s) of a winner. If you do the right things every day, the process starts...and this is a matter of process. The process is what it is all about, IMHO..... I measure every day's efforts... that they do what they are supposed to do with the first exam in 188 days.... whether we get to 6 wins or not immediately is not important, IMO because it will come...when?----don't know but feel that it will take place in the next 24 months so that by year 3 this is a rebuilt and transformed organization.

I have to believe whether there is 900 years of coaching experience or 9000 years of coaching experience, the direction is positive.

Mr. Mets, not withstanding I agree with you on most points on this board but won't agree with you on setting a bar at 6 as a failure. Too many things can happen in the course of a season, barring injuries etc.....I want the bar set higher, not in terms of wins and losses initially,... but outstanding movement of the program. Year 1 is all about the base and foundation.
I agree with you on Casey and having the weapons is a great base and should not be discounted, not abandoned but to built upon-it appears that is the direction we are moving...IMO, if we get Casey a running game, which HCBD is adamant about---, the kid has the ability to throw for 450 to 500 yards every time out-he is that talented and that football smart.

The last part of the season proved what most of us knew and yes, the BY was way ahead of the curve.... this coaching staff gets it, thank God, the Pope, allah, and all the bears that poop in the woods ....we are going back to the Promised Land, when???....enjoy the journey and the process.

Exactly.

Remind you of another Husky coach? Does Geno go out and say I think we can win 20 games this year. No, he tells people, we are not as good as you think. Then he pushes each girl to improve and the team to fix their deficiencies.

HCBD is the same type. He knows there is a lot to do. The goal is perfection and he hit the ground running back in Dec. to move us toward that goal.

I am still amazed that we are all this excited about football during a pretty good basketball season. I think we are witnessing the start of something special with UCONN football. It is a process and so far it has been a blast.

Reaction Score
Keep your eye on East Carolina. They are a VA Tech/WVA on the rise. Tulsa can play with any of those teams. USF will compete year in and year out with UCF. Houston and SMU will also improve. If the TV money gets better this ain't a bad conference, especially when Navy comes aboard.
Agree with you ConCarl....East Carolina has put together a good stretch and are on the rise. USF will rise and improve. Houston is no slouch. SMU has seen a resurgence to prior sanction days and Navy brings much more to the table than a football team....if we are still in the Conference given the next TV $$ negotiations, it will prove interesting, especially if the level improves, i.e. similar to UCF triumph over Baylor and the naysayers.

...and I want to throw something else out to my fellow BY'ers---there are big doings going on 40 miles north of NYC on the banks of the Hudson----I have it on good knowledge that high ups at ARMY are pissed off and fed up with the football results and want action. They don't want to play second fiddle to NAVY and Air Force and want a winning team. Expect to see movement within 3 years on level of football being played at West Point. JUST SAYING-if they get their act together-what could be more red, white and blue (not too mention TV contracts) for than AMERICAN AC as a consideration to have a storied program like Army and Navy both in conference AND WINNING against OOC opponents and going to Bowl games.

.....More than ever before, I will be watching all OOC games throughout the conference knowing a bigger payday could be in store......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure how you define the old BE, but I don't see programs the caliber of Louisville, Pitt, or WVU with the only exception being Cincinnati which has played very consistent ball. Agree that the departure on Rutgers and Cuse did not dilute competition.
Pitt? IMO you could put UCF, Houston, and ECU in the UL neighborhood. WVU was different. They had an incredibly consistent high performing run under Rich Rod and with Geno at QB. They kept the NBE propped up for a stretch. UL had some good years, but not the consistency. I'd put Cinci over UL over the same time frame. Difference is UL caught a greatly sagging UF team in the Sugar Bowl, and Cinci caught a UF team trying to send Tebow out a winner, while also going thru a coaching change in the week leading up to the game. Big difference.

Reaction Score
I agree, and the game films from the end of last season show that things started to click on offense.
No question UCONN's offense improved and sure that Diaco and staff will take note of positives that can be carried over.

Our best and most gratifying win last year was Rutgers who has beaten Arkansas two years in a row and who pounded us in 2012 in Piscataway. It was a satisfying way to send them off to the B1G. I am hoping UCONN can continue the rivalry in the B1G or not. It is good for New York Metro football.

Reaction Score
After Huey and Dewey were canned the improvements in the offense and the OL were immediately apparent. Spelling McCombs with Max also helped the OL and the running game immensely. I actually think there was talent on that OL last season, it was just so well disguised with the duck*ed up schemes GDL. Unfortunately, most of that group graduated, and I have no idea what to expect with this unit next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom