"Lot of work to do" - J. Silver article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Lot of work to do" - J. Silver article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's obviously referring to the depth issue in some key areas. It's a legitimate assessment.

Diaco already promised the guy at the Post mall we are going bowling, so 6 wins or bust.

our informants on the ground already know what the coach really thinks, this AP article stuff is just an attempt to fool BYU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How did you let the opportunity to say "the more the Marriner" go by the board?
Good one. Slow day in retirementville. Thanks for pointing it out. Now it is off to the gym in Glastonbury.

Reaction Score
Diaco is building some cover and it's probably to be expected. Interestingly, P did the same thing. We didn't have prototypes and this and that. Then we kept on pumping guys into the NFL while losing seasons mounted up. Diaco has his work cut out for him next season with the OL and at LB, but at some point he has to start winning pretty quick given the level of competition imo.

Reaction Score
I was referring to this line, it seems synonymous with cupboard is bare.

“There are massive deficiencies, in terms of the number of personnel,”

The only position that lacks number of personnel is O-line. Diaco should take note that the quick release passing game mitigated this problem at the end of last season.

We can have NFL players at every position except the OL. And if the OL was bad, we're not winning.

Reaction Score
Don't be shocked if Bennett and Greene get a look by the NFL. P and GDL were that bad.

Reaction Score
We can have NFL players at every position except the OL. And if the OL was bad, we're not winning.

AS long as the O-line isn't doing zone blocking, I think they can be pretty good. Obviously with CC quick release and fast decision making (assuming he wins the starting job) is obviously going to make the line look better like it did at the end of the season last year. Really all I want to see is some holes for Delorenzo and company and enough time for any of the QB's to make the throw. If they can do that consistently, UConn can have apretty good record this year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Potential size and strength are what Diaco brought in in his first recruiting class and the Huskies are going to have after big guys, high-ceiling players. They may not get the finished top recruit, but if you can’t recruit that big prototype athlete then you have to create them.

This is exactly what I said in another thread a couple of weeks ago. Diaco's recruiting focus suggested the old Nebraska, Tom Osbourne model to me. Bring in big kids with potential. Redshirt them while teaching them and beefing them up. Play them as Sophomores or Juniors. Rinse and repeat. This is mostly on both lines, but can extend to LBs and TEs. Then you still need to go find skill position guys and secondary players. Even there it may mean recruiting an "athlete" and creating a free safety over two or more years of practice.

Reaction Score
I guess I read this and the other articles of the past week on the status of the program as somewhat obvious. Teams that finish 3-8 have issues and if you watched UConn get knocked around by Towson State it was pretty clear that at least some of those issues involved physical conditioning. If you watched them fall apart in the 2nd half of so many games, you had to question how mentally tough that team was. A new head coach comes into that situation, he's pretty much confirming what my eyes told me.

Reaction Score
AS long as the O-line isn't doing zone blocking, I think they can be pretty good. Obviously with CC quick release and fast decision making (assuming he wins the starting job) is obviously going to make the line look better like it did at the end of the season last year. Really all I want to see is some holes for Delorenzo and company and enough time for any of the QB's to make the throw. If they can do that consistently, UConn can have apretty good record this year.

Well, if you think the line can be pretty good, you're basing on the fact that they're wearing a UConn uniform. We've seen little to nothing from the starting OL other than Mateas, who has been hit or miss.

Reaction Score
Diaco is building some cover and it's probably to be expected. Interestingly, P did the same thing. We didn't have prototypes and this and that. Then we kept on pumping guys into the NFL while losing seasons mounted up. Diaco has his work cut out for him next season with the OL and at LB, but at some point he has to start winning pretty quick given the level of competition imo.

The level of competition in this league is a lot higher than most realize. The competition is at least as good as the old BE.

Reaction Score
Well, if you think the line can be pretty good, you're basing on the fact that they're wearing a UConn uniform. We've seen little to nothing from the starting OL other than Mateas, who has been hit or miss.

My thought process is GDL isn't here anymore and Foley is back, at least in my mind, where he is meant to be. So it can't get any worse. Do I think the line will be as good as past lines? Definitely not. Yes the line is inexperience right now, but in Foley I trust.

Reaction Score
My thought process is GDL isn't here anymore and Foley is back, at least in my mind, where he is meant to be. So it can't get any worse. Do I think the line will be as good as past lines? Definitely not. Yes the line is inexperience right now, but in Foley I trust.

I hear you. But I need to see it. I don't trust anything that these clowns did the last 3 years. Including recruiting.

Reaction Score
The level of competition in this league is a lot higher than most realize. The competition is at least as good as the old BE.

Not sure how you define the old BE, but I don't see programs the caliber of Louisville, Pitt, or WVU with the only exception being Cincinnati which has played very consistent ball. Agree that the departure on Rutgers and Cuse did not dilute competition.

Reaction Score
Jimmy, you bring up a really good point on recruiting. In his hunt for prototypes I'm not sure what Pasqualoni brought in. There didn't seem to be many linemen pushing for playing time. On the other hand, maybe that's to be expected with 4 seniors. Gifford seemed to play credibly once he moved to right tackle and was tutored by Foley. That provides some hope at least.

Reaction Score
Not sure how you define the old BE, but I don't see programs the caliber of Louisville, Pitt, or WVU with the only exception being Cincinnati which has played very consistent ball. Agree that the departure on Rutgers and Cuse did not dilute competition.

Did you completely miss UCF last season? They were one of the better teams we have ever been in a conference with and that includes the Rich Rod West Virginia teams.

Houston is on par with Pitt, Cincinnati, Louisville especially now that they have a new stadium which should give them loud crowds at home games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hard to tell based on 1 season, but Central Florida's team was as good as any of those. And how did Pitt get into your list? They were good for 2 years under Wannstadt. Beyond that, very average.

Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised he is talking as openly as he is about the deficiencies on the roster. I think it's a little CYA but also leads you to question just WTF has been going on there in the last 3 years.

I read his quote of a "quote" a little differently.

"“There are massive deficiencies, in terms of the number of personnel,” he said. “There are massive deficiencies in terms of physical and mental development of players. We’ve got a lot of work to do. But underneath that stuff, there’s a great core.”"

He's not talking about quality or player ability. We've all mentioned the low numbers at certain positions. Many have questioned the seeming lack of strength and conditioning. But, in the end, he states his belief that the "core," the necessary clay, is available. Just my take.

Reaction Score
I read his quote of a "quote" a little differently.

"“There are massive deficiencies, in terms of the number of personnel,” he said. “There are massive deficiencies in terms of physical and mental development of players. We’ve got a lot of work to do. But underneath that stuff, there’s a great core.”"

He's not talking about quality or player ability. We've all mentioned the low numbers at certain positions. Many have questioned the seeming lack of strength and conditioning. But, in the end, he states his belief that the "core," the necessary clay, is available. Just my take.

If stating that we have "massive deficiencies in terms of physical and mental development of players" is not talking about the quality or player ability, then we have different definitions for the terms that Diaco used.

Reaction Score
Let's be fair with the statement and honest with ourselves.

I give BD credit for calling a spade a spade. Whether the team is "mentally weak" or "physically weak" somehow BD is calling the team deficient as it relates to the competition. The record speaks for itself.

If he is using different terms to call the "cubbard bare", I don't have a problem with that. For many years others have said of the program since its inception "UConn does not have much room for error".
Does that suggest the talent may not be as good as the competition? Do we call that "Cubbard bare?" or "mentally weak" or "physically weak".

Everyone has a ceiling limit.......and maybe when a program is built on "under the radar" athletes, the ceiling is "mentally or physically" not as high as the better competition.

You may have a good core of players, and occasionally each year a core of 1-5 players may get a shot at the NFL ......but you can't build a program that can compete at the highest level successfully with a small core.

I do not have a problem with a coach calling a spade a spade. I do not have a problem with any of our current and former players as I firmly believe all of them wanted to be winners. But be it physical or mental, they may have been deficient when compared to the better teams.

So BD recognizes this, and instead of sweeping it under the rug with excuses such as "didn't execute", his goal is to get players with higher physical abilities, higher mental motivation and drive, and to "fill the cubbard" with more and better core players........which, I hope will elevate this program to a level it has yet to realize.

Thanks for your honesty. Go BD! Go Uconn!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If stating that we have "massive deficiencies in terms of physical and mental development of players" is not talking about the quality or player ability, then we have different definitions for the terms that Diaco used.
We are nothing if not consistent in analyzing things to death on the BY, so...

I don't think he was talking about the players per se - it was more an indictment on the way things were run under P without naming P specifically. Balis is addressing the physical and Diaco the mental - I think (hope) we'll be a much better prepared TEAM heading in to this season.

Reaction Score
Diaco inherited a team of beaten puppies (pun intended). They were torn down without being built back up.

The us vs them mentality was their way of surviving.

Diaco made a comment a while back about not tearing into players and said they would work to build players up.

I'm sure he saw players cower like a beaten animal.

Reaction Score

It's the word "development" I'm keying (maybe hoping) on. "Mental" means moral, confidence and belief; things typically hard to find on losing teams; obviously. "Physical" means the team is not at a fitness level required to perform at a 1A level. I'd be scared if he was describing a group that couldn't beat a High School team.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Diaco didn't say the cupboard was bare. He said they have a lot of work to do.

When players are mentally weak, and a program goes 13-23 they have to change the culture from the a losing one to a winning one. Teams are dynamic, football is as much mental as it is physical.

I agree that 6 wins is a very reasonable goal, but it's not like he can send them out on the field and we can sleepwalk through six wins.
I saw lots of lookout blocks on the o-line last year. Not even guys getting beat - just missed assignments. That's what I term mentally weak. I think he said what he did to challenge the guys in the weight room and challenge the guys with the playbook. If they want to compete, listen to the message and step up. There are starting jobs to be won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom