"Lot of work to do" - J. Silver article | The Boneyard

"Lot of work to do" - J. Silver article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow.. Just, wow... sorry if somebody else posted this link in another thread... All in all, it's encouraging that HCBD has identified things that we've neglected in taking our next step as an FBS program... At first I didn't like what I was reading. I thought we were in better shape, but as long as we're working on getting it right it's encouraging...

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/uconn-football-in-the-news-lot-of-work-to-do/

wow

Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised he is talking as openly as he is about the deficiencies on the roster. I think it's a little CYA but also leads you to question just WTF has been going on there in the last 3 years.

Reaction Score
He is setting the expectation bar down low, lower than some on this board want. It is not outrageous since there will be a complete change in both the O and the D philosophies, schemes and principles.

He is managing expectations. Set the bar moderately low and then surprise with the results.

Reaction Score
He can try to set the bar low, but if he wins less than 6 he failed.

and he is on record many times saying he will not ask players to do things they can't do, so if he implements a 3/4 defense and it fails because we don't have the proper personnel, its on him, or if he tries to implement a power running game and it fails because WR's are obviously the strength of this offense (Oline is not a strength) then he failed for not passing the ball in the spread offense.

He would be wise to not completely throw away the things that were working well at the end of last season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He can try to set the bar low, but if he wins less than 6 he failed.

and he is on record many times saying he will not ask players to do things they can't do, so if he implements a 3/4 defense and it fails because we don't have the proper personnel, its on him, or if he tries to implement a power running game and it fails because WR's are the strength of this offense then he failed for not passing the ball in the spread offense.

I agree that anything less that 6 wins is going to be a disappointment. But I wouldn't say not adapting to what HCBD brings to both sides of the ball is failing. I would be more surprised if there wasn't any hiccups or mistakes made during the beginning of the season. That said, this team has the players to be able to run a 3-4 defense and a power running game. Personally, this year I think this team will rely heavily on the defense like it has in the past. All depends on the depth of the O-line and if Foley can repair the damage that GDL has done the last 3 years by opening day. Not to mention, Delorenzo is a bruiser so he fits the mold of a power running game. Then with McCombs and maybe Newsome we have a nice change of pace. I can really see this as developing into a Dixon/Todman tandem this year.

Reaction Score
His version of the "cupboard is bare"... It is what it is (see BizLaw comment ^^).

Let's see how good is he making a fulfilling meal w/ what's left in the cupboard (fortified by his recent shopping trip). I'm hoping for for Master Chef but will be happy w/ homemade comfort food.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think little reminders like these are important for us fans. When HCBD was hired, it was a tidal wave of positive energy and momentum. A lot of talk about winning and how much value UCONN offers in recruiting. In other words, "the sell job". And it made sense because the staff had to play catch up to retain current recruits and find a few of their own in such short period of time. Keeping Newsome and bringing in a guy like Diggs, for example. But now that Signing Day has come and gone, it's time to sweat and bleed some blue. From a few articles written from the Horde in the past few days, there really seems like the culture and atmosphere in the program was completely poisoned. Coaches vs Players. Corporate Professionalism (read: boring). Disconnected. Cliques. Distrust. All of these point to traits of a coaching staff that had completely lost touch with what present-day kids need/want for motivation.

The last few days is a good reminder to level set those expectations. It takes a long time to change a culture of any large entity and UCONN Football will be no exception. 2014 should be viewed as a year to evaluate whether or not the kids are buying in. Are they in shape? Are they excited on the sidelines? Are they ready to play? And perhaps most importantly, if they lose, are they ready to get off the mat? The most frustrating thing, for me, from last year was hearing all of the scripted rhetoric from the coaches and players after a loss about technique, fundamentals and watching film. There was no fire in any voice. Even after losing to TowNson, all we got was a bunch of players shrugging it off as if to say "oh well, we'll just have to watch more film". I want to see players p1ssed off after losses. I want to see some pride. I want to see a team that continues to fight until the game clock reads 00:00 no matter how many times it has been punched in the mouth. For far too long, aside from a few games here and there, it seemed as though this program refused to fight through adversity to get game momentum back on their side. Whenever an opponent scored or created a turnover, you can read the players' body expressions: heads down, shoulders slouched, blank stares, sitting on the heated/cooled benches expressionless (while the opponent's sidelines are fired up). There was no fight and that's the first thing that this program needs again. My favorite Husky team (2009) had fight and I will ALWAYS love them for it. If the 2014 fights through games, from start to finish and regardless of score, then we will know that the program is back on track and on the upswing again.

Reaction Score
I agree that anything less that 6 wins is going to be a disappointment. But I wouldn't say not adapting to what HCBD brings to both sides of the ball is failing. I would be more surprised if there wasn't any hiccups or mistakes made during the beginning of the season. That said, this team has the players to be able to run a 3-4 defense and a power running game. Personally, this year I think this team will rely heavily on the defense like it has in the past. All depends on the depth of the O-line and if Foley can repair the damage that GDL has done the last 3 years by opening day. Not to mention, Delorenzo is a bruiser so he fits the mold of a power running game. Then with McCombs and maybe Newsome we have a nice change of pace. I can really see this as developing into a Dixon/Todman tandem this year.
Don't forget about Josh Marriner The redshirt Freshman. I would expect him to get some reps at RB. His dad was telling last spring that he was a 100 meter champ in VA HS. I know you can never have enough good players at each position so the more the merrier. Go Huskies!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Don't forget about Josh Marriner The redshirt Freshman. I would expect him to get some reps at RB. His dad was telling last spring that he was a 100 meter champ in VA HS. I know you can never have enough good players at each position so the more the merrier. Go Huskies!!!!!!!!!

How did you let the opportunity to say "the more the Marriner" go by the board?

Reaction Score
Translation -- if we don't get off to a great start, don't blame me. Which makes HCBD no better or worse than the vast majority of new CEOs in various industries.

It's great that he is saying this in February. It's when you say it in October for the first time and you have John Silver, Ed D and DC in your pocket parroting and apologizing for everything that I have a problem with it.

Reaction Score
How in the world can anyone make any kind of statement like "anything less than 6 wins is a disappointment" when we don't even know who is going to be starting on the OL?

easily, Stony Brook and Army gets us to two, so I am asking for 4 (at minimum) more wins on top of that. If Weist can win 3 taking over for the clown crew mid season while searching for a QB who has now been found, then Diaco should be able to win 4 when he has a full off-season to get our guys up to strength.

I think we are all tired of the cupboard is bare excuses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It doesn't sound like typical "coachspeak". He went into detail about stopping a drill to bring the team together and explain it's not "coaches vs. players".

He described the team as relatively physically weak. We saw three lineman laying down in cuddle circle. We saw our team get pushed around by an FCS program.

He described them as mentally weak. We saw them come out flat, blow late leads, get blown out on the road to multiple MAC teams.

Maybe he is underselling and hoping to over-deliver, but what we've seen on the field the last 3 years relates to everything he's said about the team.

Reaction Score
I see Towson is already a distant memory.

If Stony Brook gets to the FCS final I will give Diaco a pass for losing to them on our own turf....actually no, forget that, if we can't beat Stony Brook at the Rent bring Weist back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It doesn't sound like typical "coachspeak". He went into detail about stopping a drill to bring the team together and explain it's not "coaches vs. players".

He described the team as relatively physically weak. We saw three lineman laying down in cuddle circle. We saw our team get pushed around by an FCS program.

He described them as mentally weak. We saw them come out flat, blow late leads, get blown out on the road to multiple MAC teams.

Maybe he is underselling and hoping to over-deliver, but what we've seen on the field the last 3 years relates to everything he's said about the team.

Someone should send that pic to Diaco.

Reaction Score
Someone should send that pic to Diaco.

The O-Line Daisy Chain one?

hc-uconn-football-media-day-pg-20120810-005.jpg

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Call me naive or wearing blue colored glasses, but it didn't come across with the intent of managing expectations. Just simply that there is a lot of hard work to be done between now and the start of the season- and we are not used to that level of openness/frankness. I believe he'll make sure the hard work gets done and we'll be in a much improved position at the start of the season.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Just give me a team that fights, plays with emotion, and hates to lose in 2014 and I think the wins will come. The culture needs to change and the sooner it's addressed, the better. I like that HCBD is addressing this now and not in the summer or fall.

Reaction Score
I think we are all tired of the cupboard is bare excuses.

Diaco didn't say the cupboard was bare. He said they have a lot of work to do.

When players are mentally weak, and a program goes 13-23 they have to change the culture from the a losing one to a winning one. Teams are dynamic, football is as much mental as it is physical.

I agree that 6 wins is a very reasonable goal, but it's not like he can send them out on the field and we can sleepwalk through six wins.

Reaction Score
Diaco didn't say the cupboard was bare. He said they have a lot of work to do.

I was referring to this line, it seems synonymous with cupboard is bare.

“There are massive deficiencies, in terms of the number of personnel,”

The only position that lacks number of personnel is O-line. Diaco should take note that the quick release passing game mitigated this problem at the end of last season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was referring to this line, it seems synonymous with cupboard is bare.

“There are massive deficiencies, in terms of the number of personnel,”

He's obviously referring to the depth issue in some key areas. It's a legitimate assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom