Long-Term HC Options | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Long-Term HC Options

Reaction Score
Both teams played in same conditions. Both with statistically bad defenses. Offensive action in game:

UConn Umass

Plays Pass 6 15
Plays run 44 53
Plays total 50 68

1st downs 11 20

Yds Pass 15 197
Yds run 250 247
Total Yards 265 444

Which team played to win?

Coaching issue that is highlighted to me is how 1st UConn possession put together vs. last UConn possession:

1st drive by UConn 7 running plays covering 82 yards (30% of total yards for game) in 3:36.

Last possession get ball on own 19 (81 yards to go) with 3:39 on clock. Time and distance similar to 1st series of game, likely can get in way more than 7 plays if can get 1st downs (will go for it on 4th): got in 7 plays on 1st drive of similar distance and time. At start of last drive have 3 time outs, 1st downs stop clock, in last 2:00 minutes of game out of bounds stops clock 'till next snap. Want to use all the clock as TD and 8 points only gives 3 point lead. Given all this and having only passed 5 times all game and with a QB with TEENY FINGERS you pick that play on 1st down! Shirley there was a more completion/1st down/drive friendly strategy to start that last series.

Reaction Score
To play QB?
Yes to play QB. He only threw for like a million yards in high school with two state championships, the only schools that recruited him for TE were West Virginia, and Maryland (Edsall). All the others (Wisconsin, Wake Forest, BC, Syracuse), wanted him for QB. UConn was on the fence for TE and QB. Syracuse might also have had hybrid aspirations for Rose.

As far as I know Tyler Davis had no P5 offers and only two FBS offers, UConn and Buffalo, everything else was FCS.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
How would UConn fans feel about a coach who wanted to go the triple option route similar to Navy or Georgia Tech? You don’t need 4-5 star relievers or running backs, and you protect the defense by running the clock when you have the ball. Just curious.

You know, my brother and I have been talking about this at the last few tailgates. I'm not a fan of triple option but do admit that it is effective and does help shrink talent gaps. I still think that the rules of football (QB protection, PI, illegal contact, tempo, etc) are so in favor of the offense that it is foolish not to throw the football. But I like winning most of all and if that's what it takes to win at UConn, then so be it.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
How would UConn fans feel about a coach who wanted to go the triple option route similar to Navy or Georgia Tech? You don’t need 4-5 star relievers or running backs, and you protect the defense by running the clock when you have the ball. Just curious.

Would be open to it, but would have been more receptive 5-6 years ago. I'd take Paul Johnson if GT tires of him but not an unproven OC.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Anyone arguing about Pindell's hand size is agreeing with Randy's ridiculous argument. My God, pass the ball. Try it. TRY it. Such a lame excuse.

Diaco was a total disaster, but the idea behind his hiring made sense. Just because it didn't work with him didn't mean they shouldn't try the same thing- you go and you find a good coordinator. Sometimes you chase forever, but eventually, it works. Look at Duke w/Cutcliffe. They didn't go out and chase Spurrier even though they have Duke money, they kept going after coordinators and eventually got the right guy.

UConn, in typical Connecticut puritan fashion, went and begged the guy who led them to above average to come back like he was Bill Snyder. Its freaking pathetic.

Reaction Score
Would be open to it, but would have been more receptive 5-6 years ago. I'd take Paul Johnson if GT tires of him but not an unproven OC.

What if Ken Niumatalolo from Navy became available.

Reaction Score
What if Ken Niumatalolo from Navy became available?

Chances of that are zero. His faith is a major decision factor. Too many potential opportunities that offer good football and connect with his beliefs.

Reaction Score
Yes to play QB. He only threw for like a million yards in high school with two state championships, the only schools that recruited him for TE were West Virginia, and Maryland (Edsall). All the others (Wisconsin, Wake Forest, BC, Syracuse), wanted him for QB. UConn was on the fence for TE and QB. Syracuse might also have had hybrid aspirations for Rose.

I thought only UConn and Syracuse were the possible options @ QB in the end (Wisconsin, Maryland, NC State, Wake and others were recruiting him primarily as a TE). I remember reading that's why he narrowed his list down to those 2 before announcing.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I’d want Lance Leopold from Buffalo, though I don’t think he’d come.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think our OC is fine. RE clearly stuffed him in a closet yesterday and dictated the play calling. Blame RE not anybody else. I hoped he was ready to embrace modern football but maybe not.

Reaction Score
I thought only UConn and Syracuse were the possible options @ QB in the end (Wisconsin, Maryland, NC State, Wake and others were recruiting him primarily as a TE). I remember reading that's why he narrowed his list down to those 2 before announcing.
Didn't know about NC State, I do know Wisconsin and Wake recruited him as a QB, Cuse could have been recruiting him at both positions, I know for a fact that UConn was recruiting him for both positions. Maryland wanted him as a TE or QB, but probably more as a TE.

Reaction Score
I agree that conference perception (G5 v. P5) on top of 8 years of losing has an impact on recruiting this go around that be didn’t face last go around. But any coach coming through the door faces the same impediments.

My gut tells me Krajewski is the future QB but I’ve been wrong before.
I think so too, but also wondering what's up with Washington? I would not want to see him leave the team for whatever reasons. He is a tremendously talented QB.

Reaction Score
It was nasty out there yesterday. We stood the whole game. I was somewhat familiar with UMass having been to a few games last couple years. There’s a reason they were favored by 4.5 on the road. We are that bad. Isabella is a better WR than we have right now and as soon as they discovered they could complete some passes I turned to my buddy and said that will be the difference and it was. Our pass defense is still extremely poor.
As far as RE goes, next year is season 3 and in my mind he HAS to show improvement on the field and in the win column, and 2020 even more. If next season is another 1 or 2 win season where we struggle to beat an FCS team and can’t beat UMass then you need to really think about removing him after 12/1/19 with no buyout owed. It is really hard to sit (stand) there and watch this over and over

Reaction Score
Yes it was a nasty day, BUT UMass passed for 197 yards. Was it only nasty when we had the ball?

Reaction Score
Not arguing about what we did or didn’t do. I think we should have passed the ball longer than 3 yards. I’m saying UMass is a better team and would have won pretty easily if weather was better. And also that as bad as we suck, RE will get another year but if it is like this one then let him go and move on. If next year is a repeat then I’m out on season tickets and I’ll just keep going to hoops games and maybe get hockey tickets. Seems like those programs have some direction and are recruiting at a high level. This is just a crap fest

Reaction Score
I would strongly consider him but doubt he will be available. Navy would be crazy to cut ties.

He caused a panic at Navy earlier in the year when he interviewed for the job in Arizona. It appears that he might not see Navy as a lifetime commitment.

Reaction Score
Lol Edsall is it. There are no up and coming young HC candidates who want to touch this program right now. This was the final Hail Mary and so far all we've done is lose and throw more money down the toilet. How we expect to compete in conference full of teams in recruiting hot beds without the ability to boast about being in a power conference is laughable. But yeah lets go with the plan of throwing more imaginary money to fix problems money can't actually fix....

Reaction Score
Another option is for AD Dave to insist on a new Offensive coordinator with 100% autonomy. If Randy does not like it, he has the option of resigning. Whoever they hire as OC will be head coach in waiting if he proves capable. This is an affordable approach which gets us out of run/run/run/punt.

I also think UMass has better team speed, were stronger, and could execute better. Could be the freshman issue, but darn, we have 1 win, take some chances.

Didn't we go that route with OC Weist in his PP's last year. PP was fired.......Weist was past over for BD from Notre Dame. Bad precedent for OC's in waiting......can't trust Uconn's word.

Agree with your comment about UMass.......more speed......stronger......can execute better. You left out three ingredients to their success.......more talent (2nd string QB picked us apart in the rain......good thing the ball was wet), better game plan = better coaching= A WIN!

Reaction Score
Both teams played in same conditions. Both with statistically bad defenses. Offensive action in game:

UConn Umass

Plays Pass 6 15
Plays run 44 53
Plays total 50 68

1st downs 11 20

Yds Pass 15 197
Yds run 250 247
Total Yards 265 444

Which team played to win?

Coaching issue that is highlighted to me is how 1st UConn possession put together vs. last UConn possession:

1st drive by UConn 7 running plays covering 82 yards (30% of total yards for game) in 3:36.

Last possession get ball on own 19 (81 yards to go) with 3:39 on clock. Time and distance similar to 1st series of game, likely can get in way more than 7 plays if can get 1st downs (will go for it on 4th): got in 7 plays on 1st drive of similar distance and time. At start of last drive have 3 time outs, 1st downs stop clock, in last 2:00 minutes of game out of bounds stops clock 'till next snap. Want to use all the clock as TD and 8 points only gives 3 point lead. Given all this and having only passed 5 times all game and with a QB with TEENY FINGERS you pick that play on 1st down! Shirley there was a more completion/1st down/drive friendly strategy to start that last series.

I'm missing something......who is Shirley? Does he have smaller and daintier fingers than Pindell?

Reaction Score
Edsall saying pindell has small hands=he stinks. Edsall knows when he has a winner at qb and pindell isn’t that

Reaction Score
How are you gonna not blame it on randy when pindell got to throw 6 times. We lost running the ball. Let him throw

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure we were comfortably ahead, just running, until we gave it up in the 4th quarter.

Tucker

Free Beer!..... Yesterday
Reaction Score
As far as I can tell, RE is “safe as kittens” yeah that reference dates me.
He is on his timetable and not ours. He did some long term smart things this year. Example Shut down a bunch of kids after 4. Didn’t cave to pressure to play the other freshman. Yeah he’s made mistakes too....and they have been tough to swallow. Not only does he get next year but probably the year after as well so buckle up.
I agree with huskymedic the kid from Georgia is our future (gut feeling). It’s just going to be slower than expected/wanted. So let’s just play this season out and keep a good thought for next year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Edsall’s performance yesterday was an inexcusible mess from someone who started the job 3 weeks ago - nevermind someone who has been a head coach for 20 years.

He is 60, can’t recruit a lick and coaches them into losses against FRIGGING UMASS.

Every day he remains coach puts a competitive program further away.

There hasn’t been a single shread of evidence that he can get them past laughing stock forget good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom