Long-Term HC Options | The Boneyard

Long-Term HC Options

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If the RE 2.0 era were to be cut short early...

1. Who would you most like to see the AD target as his replacement?
  2. Who do you think would actually be feasible in a financial sense?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The problem is the second part: the finances.

By all accounts, the finances are a hot mess right now. And if the plan is to pay a coach less than 2M per year, we're probably not going to get very much better than Edsall...

Reaction Score
If that person exists, a school like Wake Forest or Kansas or Rutgers ends up offering 2.5 million, and that's that. That's the point...

Dave B. Has to step it up and pay for a good coach. $1m a year is not exciting, especially to come coach in CT.

Reaction Score
Buffalo went after Lance Leipold. He was interesting because he had success at the D3 level. He was an offensive minded coach. Its working out. I can't stand the notion that UConn as a northeast school has to hire defensive minded coaches, who then trot out worst in the country defensive units.

Reaction Score
John Marinelli at greenwich high could run this program better than RE2.0

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
How long does HCRE2.0 have left on his contract?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
As an Edsall critic myself, let's wait a year or two before canning him. The defense is no longer historically awful and might actually be decent 2 years from now.

David Yost at Utah State would be my first choice going forward if we had to replace Edsall. USU's offense looks like friggin Bama this year, including against two excellent defenses (MSU, BYU). We can't be THAT far behind them talent-wise...Yost also has great credentials. I would also look at Alex Grinch and Tony Gibson.

Reaction Score
Another option is for AD Dave to insist on a new Offensive coordinator with 100% autonomy. If Randy does not like it, he has the option of resigning. Whoever they hire as OC will be head coach in waiting if he proves capable. This is an affordable approach which gets us out of run/run/run/punt.

I also think UMass has better team speed, were stronger, and could execute better. Could be the freshman issue, but darn, we have 1 win, take some chances.

Reaction Score
Another option is for AD Dave to insist on a new Offensive coordinator with 100% autonomy. If Randy does not like it, he has the option of resigning. Whoever they hire as OC will be head coach in waiting if he proves capable. This is an affordable approach which gets us out of run/run/run/punt.

I also think UMass has better team speed, were stronger, and could execute better. Could be the freshman issue, but darn, we have 1 win, take some chances.
UMass has coach foley for offense too. I wish we never got rid of him as a oc.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Is there a buy out clause in Randy's contract?? I haven't looked at it closely but the fact that his contract is minimal and basically full of incentive money, I can't imagine the buy out is high or even close to a million.

Now I'm not saying he should be fired. I'm not naive and think anyone could fix this right now. Just curious if it would hurt us much.

In terms of who would come here, you can rule out any single current HC having success at smaller G5 schools. Plenty of P5 programs will take them. Only options will be coordinators, which hasn't worked well for us (Diaco), retread HC, another disaster (PP), or someone from FCS.

FCS would be our likely option. I can't see a P5 taking a chance on a FCS coach. Seeing how the AAC is the most attractive of the G5 conferences, we probably have a small leg up on the rest of the non AAC G5 schools. However, our location will likely always be a deterrent.

Bottom line, Randy needs to be the one who fixes this so he can pass along an attractive program. I don't see any other reality for us.

Reaction Score
Is there a buy out clause in Randy's contract?? I haven't looked at it closely but the fact that his contract is minimal and basically full of incentive money, I can't imagine the buy out is high or even close to a million.

There is and it’s in the link to his binding MOU a few posts above.

Right now it’s $2m - drops to $1m after 12/1/18 to zero 12/1/19.

I just can’t see him going anywhere till after next year regardless... yesterday sucked (understatement) and the regression from USF was disgusting but most knew this year was going to be fugly.

Reaction Score
Mike Foley was never an OC for UConn. Good OL/TE coach and he had some really good OLs over the years for sure though.
Well he was a good ol/ te. When I went to Randy Edsall camp kids liked him and would commit fast

Reaction Score
There is and it’s in the link to his binding MOU a few posts above.

Right now it’s $2m - drops to $1m after 12/1/18 to zero 12/1/19.

I just can’t see him going anywhere till after next year regardless... yesterday sucked (understatement) and the regression from USF was disgusting but most knew this year was going to be fugly.
I can see him staying because how cheap he is but if the record is this atrocious next year it’s 50/50. Benedict scares me I don’t think he would hire a great coach after him

Reaction Score

Maybe, just maybe, firing an OC who has not done a terrible overall job in his first year because of a game plan he comes up with for a game played DURING A FRIGGIN NOREASTER would be overreacting?

I'll do a 241 later, and I have no problem with questioning whether we couldn't have had a more balanced game plan in weather in which UMass was able to throw somewhat and if that decision by the coaches didn't cost us the game, but UNLESS YOU SPENT THE ENTIRE GAME SITTING OUTSIDER IN YOUR DAMN SEAT LIKE A FEW OF US DID LET'S PLEASE NOT PRETEND THAT THE WEATHER WASN'T A BIG FACTOR IN WHAT HAPPENED YESTERDAY EITHER.

Smart people didn't sit outside yesterday. But I have no patience to listen to lectures from those who stayed home pretending that the conditions yesterday weren't highly unusual.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom