Long-Term HC Options | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Long-Term HC Options

Reaction Score
If the RE 2.0 era were to be cut short early...

1. Who would you most like to see the AD target as his replacement?
  2. Who do you think would actually be feasible in a financial sense?
We don't need to make a change with the head coach, we need to make a change with our starting QB. Give the ball to one of the three backups. When your starting QB can't throw the ball when it's wet, then it's time to make a change, and I don't care how good a runner he is. We very well could have been 2-0 over our last two games if our QB was able to put some zip on down field passes rather than throwing up prayers that had the same arc as baseball pop-ups. I get it that Pindell and his legs are extremely valuable to this offense, so make him a slot back receiver or bring him in on option plays.

Bottom line we need a QB who is a threat down field every play, which opens up the running for Mensah and Scott. If we can't keep defenses honest then expect more late game interceptions, one yard per carry on first down, three and outs. Our receiving corp is a good one but it is being wasted.

If Edsall is at fault for anything it is for allowing this circus. However, we do not know what is going on behind the scenes with Washington, and we don't know how far along Krajewski is or if the coaches have any confidence in Bisack.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No matter what you pay, you can’t expect to draw good people here if you fire coaches 2-3 years in their tenure. Diaco had to go but to fire Edsel two years in with the freshmen he is playing this year would be more disastrous to the program than the actual on field performance has been.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And I agree with business lawyer about the conditions yesterday having stood for three hours in them.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We don't need to make a change with the head coach, we need to make a change with our starting QB. Give the ball to one of the three backups. When your starting QB can't throw the ball when it's wet, then it's time to make a change, and I don't care how good a runner he is. We very well could have been 2-0 over our last two games if our QB was able to put some zip on down field passes rather than throwing up prayers that had the same arc as baseball pop-ups. I get it that Pindell and his legs are extremely valuable to this offense, so make him a slot back receiver or bring him in on option plays.

Bottom line we need a QB who is a threat down field every play, which opens up the running for Mensah and Scott. If we can't keep defenses honest then expect more late game interceptions, one yard per carry on first down, three and outs. Our receiving corp is a good one but it is being wasted.

If Edsall is at fault for anything it is for allowing this circus. However, we do not know what is going on behind the scenes with Washington, and we don't know how far along Krajewski is or if the coaches have any confidence in Bisack.

Lmfao.

Reaction Score
Lmfao.
YCGFY....... I'll also add that this team has two players, both former HS QB's who were the two best QB's in the state, one a dual threat. Jasen Rose and Keyion Dixon, and both have great arms. One is now a TE and the other a receiver.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe, just maybe, firing an OC who has not done a terrible overall job in his first year because of a game plan he comes up with for a game played DURING A FRIGGIN NOREASTER would be overreacting?

I'll do a 241 later, and I have no problem with questioning whether we couldn't have had a more balanced game plan in weather in which UMass was able to throw somewhat and if that decision by the coaches didn't cost us the game, but UNLESS YOU SPENT THE ENTIRE GAME SITTING OUTSIDER IN YOUR DAMN SEAT LIKE A FEW OF US DID LET'S PLEASE NOT PRETEND THAT THE WEATHER WASN'T A BIG FACTOR IN WHAT HAPPENED YESTERDAY EITHER.

Smart people didn't sit outside yesterday. But I have no patience to listen to lectures from those who stayed home pretending that the conditions yesterday weren't highly unusual.
I was there too, and yes the weather was a factor, but also there were a lot of parallels with last week's game in terms of our QB being able to keep the defense honest with his passing.

Reaction Score
Hopefully a new ad that has a clue will make the hire....but UConn needs someone with energy and the ability to get these kids excited. Probably not going to be a popular pick but I'd love them to bring in Don brown, I know he is too old, but at least he has energy still and an aggressive defense

Reaction Score
Maybe, just maybe, firing an OC who has not done a terrible overall job in his first year because of a game plan he comes up with for a game played DURING A FRIGGIN NOREASTER would be overreacting?

I'll do a 241 later, and I have no problem with questioning whether we couldn't have had a more balanced game plan in weather in which UMass was able to throw somewhat and if that decision by the coaches didn't cost us the game, but UNLESS YOU SPENT THE ENTIRE GAME SITTING OUTSIDER IN YOUR DAMN SEAT LIKE A FEW OF US DID LET'S PLEASE NOT PRETEND THAT THE WEATHER WASN'T A BIG FACTOR IN WHAT HAPPENED YESTERDAY EITHER.

Smart people didn't sit outside yesterday. But I have no patience to listen to lectures from those who stayed home pretending that the conditions yesterday weren't highly unusual.

Wait a minute! Are you insinuating that folks on this board over react?

I’ll have to ponder that one a bit.

Reaction Score

197 - 15

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
YCGFY.. I'll also add that this team has two players, both former HS QB's who were the two best QB's in the state, one a dual threat. Jasen Rose and Keyion Dixon, and both have great arms. One is now a TE and the other a receiver.

And Tyler Davis too just over the Sound in LI!

Reaction Score
Yeah, no he can’t.
Agree that Edsall hasn't been perfect, but if we still had Bryant this season under center, opposing defenses could not afford single coverage and could not stack the box every play. We very likely would have four wins. We need a a QB who is a passing threat on every play, it opens up the run game.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
197 - 15

Bingo.

I'm not saying to fire Dunn; I think he's done a good job overall this year. I'm not even saying to fire Edsall. I'm saying there has to be accountability for an obvious game plan that failed.

And for the people that want to use the miserable weather as an excuse, while simultaneously avoiding the fact that the UMass backup QB played in the exact same weather, they need to revisit physics...

Reaction Score
Wait a minute! Are you insinuating that folks on this board over react?

I’ll have to ponder that one a bit.

LOL. Fair enough. Except that as I sit here fighting a cough and a sniffle, I do not have patience for those who watched the game from home explaining how we shouldn't have let the weather effect us as much. Don't even care if they're right.,

Reaction Score
Mark Richt when he gets canned at Miami. Will bring his son with him as OC so we have another father-son duo.

Reaction Score
How would UConn fans feel about a coach who wanted to go the triple option route similar to Navy or Georgia Tech? You don’t need 4-5 star relievers or running backs, and you protect the defense by running the clock when you have the ball. Just curious.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The problem is the second part: the finances.

By all accounts, the finances are a hot mess right now. And if the plan is to pay a coach less than 2M per year, we're probably not going to get very much better than Edsall...

Bingo. Until we fully commit to winning football games and spend the necessary money, we aren't hiring anyone much better than an older retread collecting a paycheck (and trying to line up a job for his son). We have to commit to doubling the football coaching pool to field an entire staff...not just HC. For a place like UConn, it's every bit as important to employ Joe Moorhead/Todd Orlando/Don Brown as it is to employ a good head coach in touch with today's game.

Reaction Score
I am as steamed as the rest of the 'Yard about yesterday's outcome. But I'm not calling for HCRE's head just yet for the following reasons:
-He is cleaning the cabinet of Diaco recruits who aren't FBS talented, while at the same time giving game time experience to his own recruits who he thinks have more long term upside.
- I genuinely believe in giving a coach 3 recruiting classes before judging his resume.
-based on his previous UConn tenure, it should be sometime next season that we should see if his current recruiting has born fruit.

That said, I will address the original premise:
-When Mike Leach was let go at Texas Tech, I was an advocate of hiring him & was admonished that he was too toxic. Wazzou took a chance on him & is now reaping the benefit.
If & when HCRE either retires or is let go, my preference for his replacement is an offensive genius type in the Leach, Major Applewhite mode. Identify him & sign him. UConn's previous hires of defensive minded coaches (the last two frauds) are major reasons why the Huskies are currently in this black hole.

Reaction Score
The supposition is that there will be another coach after Edsall at the 1-A level. That is by no means assured. The program is gonna live or die on the next three seasons, all of which will be coached by HCRE2.0.

So assuming that the program is a success in three years, and HCRE2.0 retires, then the search will start. UConn won't be in the hunt for a big name because even then they won't be able to afford one. So you are looking at a young up-and-comer. Who that might be three years out is anyones's guess.

Reaction Score
There is and it’s in the link to his binding MOU a few posts above.

Right now it’s $2m - drops to $1m after 12/1/18 to zero 12/1/19.

I just can’t see him going anywhere till after next year regardless... yesterday sucked (understatement) and the regression from USF was disgusting but most knew this year was going to be fugly.
The biggest thing is that after 20 games, there is no sign of anything improving or even what we are trying to be. 3 3 5 defense , 4 3, 4 2. This rebuild resembles throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks. First time around he was recruiting to a BCS conference. He doesn't have that this time around. It's too soon to judge his recruiting to date, but I do I feel the downgrade in conference perceptions would hurt him more than other coaches. Even on offense we have a dual threat senior QB, backed up by seemingly pro style QBs. Does this make sense?

Reaction Score
The biggest thing is that after 20 games, there is no sign of anything improving or even what we are trying to be. 3 3 5 defense , 4 3, 4 2. This rebuild resembles throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks. First time around he was recruiting to a BCS conference. He doesn't have that this time around. It's too soon to judge his recruiting to date, but I do I feel the downgrade in conference perceptions would hurt him more than other coaches. Even on offense we have a dual threat senior QB, backed up by seemingly pro style QBs. Does this make sense?

I agree that conference perception (G5 v. P5) on top of 8 years of losing has an impact on recruiting this go around that be didn’t face last go around. But any coach coming through the door faces the same impediments.

My gut tells me Krajewski is the future QB but I’ve been wrong before.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom