Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am type II diabetic which is a different beast I know, but I have also been around type I and type II diabetics most of my life, and the responsibility of others is I think being overstated. It is a big responsibility for those who have diabetes, but beyond common sense is not that big a deal for friends and family. Routine is the big thing, and I am sure she has her routines down pat. There will definitely be an adjustment period as you go into a different training/practice environment but the principles will remain the same, just adjustments to the energy consumption levels. And an identification/adjustment to college meal plan cooking and menus. But this has all become habit by this time.

Reaction Score
Perfect ending to First Night? Lauren Cox, overwhelmed and seriously inspired by all that she sees, verbals to UConn. Seemed to happen that way for Collier and DJ last year . . .

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Perfect ending to First Night? Lauren Cox, overwhelmed and seriously inspired by all that she sees, verbals to UConn. Seemed to happen that way for Collier and DJ last year . . .

Well, not exactly. Collier and Boykin committed shortly after their official visits, but those visits were in April.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, not exactly. Collier and Boykin committed shortly after their official visits, but those visits were in April.
Well it was still the First Night of something special for UCONN.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Dangerfield, a 5-foot-5 junior point guard from Murfreesboro, Tennessee, made an oral commitment to attend UConn during an unofficial visit to Storrs this weekend that included taking in the Huskies’ annual First Night program. She is the first player from the Class of 2016 to announce for UConn.

“Coach (Geno) Auriemma knew what I wanted in a school and UConn has it,” Dangerfield said. “They want to win as much as I do.

“I wasn’t sure if I would commit when I was there. It depended on how I felt and if I figured things out and it was right. When I told the coaches we went around giving each other hugs and they were very excited. It was a great feeling."

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/dangerfield-commits-to-uconn/

When you're 5' 5" you do everything with conviction or you're toast. Crystal gets it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am type II diabetic which is a different beast I know, but I have also been around type I and type II diabetics most of my life, and the responsibility of others is I think being overstated. It is a big responsibility for those who have diabetes, but beyond common sense is not that big a deal for friends and family. Routine is the big thing, and I am sure she has her routines down pat. There will definitely be an adjustment period as you go into a different training/practice environment but the principles will remain the same, just adjustments to the energy consumption levels. And an identification/adjustment to college meal plan cooking and menus. But this has all become habit by this time.

The extent of each person's struggle is unique and cannot be oversimplified. Diabetes changes over time and becomes more and more difficult to manage. I know because I have type I diabetes, as did my brother, who died when his blood sugar dropped in the middle of the night. I have had blood sugar readings in the 20s and I take a pretty common sense approach to my blood sugar management. A roommate may suddenly be faced with a life and death situation that they had not planned for. Will they be prepared to take life saving action if in that situation? There is not always time to call someone else or 911.

Type I diabetics take insulin injections and that insulin is going to continue to work no matter what else your body is doing, whether you eat or not, or if you exercise too much. I think you would be surprised how much parents are involved in the dietary habits of diabetic children.

I am in no way saying that these challenges would be unique at UCONN or any other university. But those without Type I diabetes who oversimplify how hard the every day challenge is are far off base.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Getting back to Ms. Cox as a basketball player and competitive person, what comes to mind is KML holding the Nat'l Championship Trophy with Holly's microphone in her face, asking her what does it mean to you to give Coach his 10th Nat'l Championship: "It means a lot, but it doesn't even come close to what he's given me." Think about that young lady. Think hard.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Getting back to Ms. Cox as a basketball player and competitive person, what comes to mind is KML holding the Nat'l Championship Trophy with Holly's microphone in her face, asking her what does it mean to you to give Coach his 10th Nat'l Championship: "It means a lot, but it doesn't even come close to what he's given me." Think about that young lady. Think hard.

Ah, his (Geno's) magic: the ability to give you what you need -- not so much what you want -- and package it in a way that you feel it in the marrow of your bones.
Sherri Coale

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...geno-auriemma-voice-always-strikes-right-tone

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ah, his (Geno's) magic: the ability to give you what you need -- not so much what you want -- and package it in a way that you feel it in the marrow of your bones.
Sherri Coale

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...geno-auriemma-voice-always-strikes-right-tone

Coco... wow, thanks for sharing that. I never read that before. Sherri is a gifted coach and WRITER. Very dramatic, but you feel the genuineness of it too. The closing line is worth repeating.

"But Geno wins because he makes the best players better versions of themselves."

Reaction Score
I think that Ms. Cox will find herself in the right place at the right time on Friday evening.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I say give that girl a break from the responsibility now that she is off to college. I nominate KLS since she has a lot of sisters and could adopt Cox as her new sister. Plus, they are both the number 1 recruits in their respective classes.
ETT, this is a great point. She's had the brother thing, and the military father thing. I want her to spread her wings, have the time of her life, and let the baller thing happen.

Reaction Score
I just think it will stop some people from joining in. They might be afraid of being embarrassed.

True. I know a few people who only use the phone to communicate because they're embarrassed about their ability to write a proper sentence. Your writing does say things about you. Is that fair? I suppose that judging takes place all of the time and in many different ways. Can't be stopped, but how it's commented upon, if at all, is within our power. I always ask myself, "What would Geno say?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom