Lauren Betts in the Portal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Lauren Betts in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK I just want to put this in perspective a little bit. This former #1 recruit only played about 10 minutes per game, 318 total this year. Is that a pretty modest sample size, sure but it would be about equivalent to starting 10 games. So that is still enough to form an opinion, so how did she do?

Well using the one comprehensive stat, player efficiency ratio (PER) that takes into account all game statistics and adjust for the pace of the game, this is how she stacked up on the season compared to other bigs you probably know. An average score is 15 for all division 1 players, but it doesn't adjust for the level of competition. For example Ayanna and Amari were around 12 but are probably at least average because Uconn plays a way above average schedule as does almost everyone on this list.

Angel Reese 44.6
Lauren Betts 41.2
Mackenzie Holmes 40.6
Alissa Pili 39.2
Cameron Brink 39.0
Kamilla Cardosa 38.7
Stephanie Soares 38.7
Aliyah Boston 36.3
Taiyanna Jackson 35.7
Aneesah Morrow 33.8
Elizabeth Kitley 32.1
Aaliyah Edwards 28.9
Dorka Juhasz 27.3

Modest sample but still extremely impressive, so don't judge her on playing time behind a superstar C like Brink is my point.
10 minutes per game is the equivalent of a full quarter. Not bad for judging. Here is my question; all that exposure did not earn her more playing time. And none ( that I saw) at crunch time. So, she may have underwhelmed the coaches. Who knows?

Reaction Score
We’ve seen consistently with UConn that it takes bigs longer to adjust to the college game. Remember Tina’s 1st year plus? Look at Amari’s struggles. So that’s probably part of the answer.

But a certain "big" by the name of Stewie didn't have huge issues (yes, she struggled at times) but heck, she was at the point of attack for the Huskies in her rookie year. So talent is right up there as a key factor.

Reaction Score
Lets think about this. She was the number 1 recruit out of HS and didnt see much time. Why at 6'7 didnt she see much time. I have to wonder whats going on behind the scenes. … There is something we dont know.
there’s a lot we can see. She’s a lumbering 5 without intuitive scoring or shotblocking skills. That means she’s a project. She’ll get there eventually. But time is a commodity to kids.

Reaction Score
Betts was very heavy in the running at Oregon at one time if I recall . I see her somewhere on the west coast actually . UCLA perhaps?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Betts was very heavy in the running at Oregon at one time if I recall . I see her somewhere on the west coast actually . UCLA perhaps?
Maybe USC with Juju Watkins?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
there’s a lot we can see. She’s a lumbering 5 without intuitive scoring or shotblocking skills. That means she’s a project. She’ll get there eventually. But time is a commodity to kids.

I haven't really seen Betts play since high school but she did shoot 60% and her block rate would come to 2.2 blocks per 25 minutes. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Reaction Score
UConn has been early ranked as #1 they are loaded in every position except a true five. In the next recruiting classes are more top guards and forwards, but no center.

The center that decides to UConn will end up with multiple national championships.

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if Brink left Stanford. :eek:
More shocked than Betts leaving? Plus, In Brink's case there's a major draw: she might get to play with her buddy, Paige. It's easy to underestimate the draw of playing with friends.

I also just look at it the way a player might -- What the heck is left of that team now? She's gotta be looking around at the remaining and incoming roster and thinking, "No way I get to the NC here."

Reaction Score
More shocked than Betts leaving? Plus, In Brink's case there's a major draw: she might get to play with her buddy, Paige. It's easy to underestimate the draw of playing with friends.

I also just look at it the way a player might -- What the heck is left of that team now? She's gotta be looking around at the remaining and incoming roster and thinking, "No way I get to the NC here."
Betts left to get playing time. Brink isn’t leaving, sorry to break it to you.

Reaction Score
She’d get more PT at ND than she would at UConn. If she didn’t impress Tara enough to play more than she did, could she possibly impress Geno? I’m not trying to throw water on anyone’s interest or desire for Betts, but there’s a reason she didn’t play more than she did. Since she’s leaving, the prospects of her playing more in the near future may not have been related to her by the coaching staff. I realize she’s 6’7”, but I’d pass on her. I’d rather have a player the size and skill set of Angel Reese.
I understand your sentiments but UConn has struggled for years without depth in the post because of injuries you can never have enough bigs as South Carolina has proven. With all the bigs in the portal we would be foolish not to pursue one.

Reaction Score
The only way I see Betts coming to UConn is with an understanding that she's in an understudy role to Edwards/DeBerry/Brady, and that the staff will not make promises of PT nor upset the already existing chemistry that the players have both on and off the court. The ol' sacrifice a little, be part of something big.

On edit - imagine if this is what Geno was referencing?
If she came in as an “understudy” to DeBerry I’m not sure how that helps this team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I've read that Kate Paye does most of the talking in huddles now. Can the Stanford folks confirm or refute that?

Reaction Score
Mom’s Twitter seems to like Dawn Staley, SC, UCLA, and LSU
76871076-FA83-44A0-9D91-0E2292775504.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members