Lauren Betts in the Portal | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Lauren Betts in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
More shocked than Betts leaving? Plus, In Brink's case there's a major draw: she might get to play with her buddy, Paige. It's easy to underestimate the draw of playing with friends.

I also just look at it the way a player might -- What the heck is left of that team now? She's gotta be looking around at the remaining and incoming roster and thinking, "No way I get to the NC here."
Brink could have played with her "buddy" when she came out of HS since she and her parents thought enough of UConn that they came to Storrs at their own cost for an unofficial visit. But she picked Stanford for the education and because of deep friendships and family connections. I don't see her tossing all that aside for a season to chase a NC, one of which she already has.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You beat me to it. No questions here, have to go for it, forget about Aneesah and Sedona for now and find out if we have a chance here. She put up huge numbers considering her limited minutes behind Brink. Kind of at the level of Cardosa behind Boston. Since she has only played one year, she would impact more the playing time of Ice and Jana down the road, but they can play the 4 as well and Aaliyah presumably departing after this year.

Unless I am missing something you have to go hard for Betts.
I think you look at all 4, but Lauren is the best of the Betts.

Reaction Score
UNC would also make a lot of sense (to me). I wonder if her and her sister are a packaged deal

Reaction Score
UNC would also make a lot of sense (to me). I wonder if her and her sister are a packaged deal
I would hope not as there doesn’t seem to be any interest between UConn and her sister

Reaction Score
If Betts picks UCONN it'd put UCONN in a somewhat unprecedented territory, as they will have nabbed 5 of the last 6 #1 recruits (2017: Walker, 2018: Williams, 2020: Bueckers, 2021: Fudd, 2022: Betts)

I think Betts best destinations to take on a big role and play for a title contender would be UCONN, Notre Dame, Iowa or UCLA. All of those programs could use a center and have 4 of the best PGs in the country (Bueckers, Miles, Clark, Rice).
Yeah, I think UCLA needs more (or perhaps less:rolleyes:) than any of those four! I’ll be shocked if they even sniff the finals over the next three years.

Reaction Score
So there’s definitely still interest, from Morgan or the Coaching staff in general.

The first person she’s followed since the portal opened. I hope Coach Valley can pull it out the same way she did with Lou.
Maybe Bill Murray will be in town when she visits.

Reaction Score
there’s a lot we can see. She’s a lumbering 5 without intuitive scoring or shotblocking skills. That means she’s a project. She’ll get there eventually. But time is a commodity to kids.
Would you compare her to Kara Walters… another 6’7” lumberer?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think UCLA needs more (or perhaps less:rolleyes:) than any of those four! I’ll be shocked if they even sniff the finals over the next three years.

UCLA just added Kendall Dudley, the #13 recruit in 2024. She played with Kiki Rice in high school.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I'm not sold on Close as an elite coach but they'd have Rice/Betts together for 3 years which would be a very good combo. After seeing what Clark/Reese were able to do for their respective teams, I wouldn't be surprised if Betts or other top transfers want to make their mark at an up and coming program rather than join an elite program where they wont be the standout.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
UCLA just added Kendall Dudley, the #13 recruit in 2024. She played with Kiki Rice in high school.
FWIW (which is probably nothing), Mama Betts liked a lot of twitter posts about Dudley. She also liked a lot of Iowa related posts referencing O'Grady from last weekend, and also liked a lot of Dawn Staley posts.

Reaction Score
Do we know the reason, though? Because any time she’s gotten time, she made the most of it. Grabbing rebounds, easy lay-ins and ran the floor pretty good.
I agree, everybody assumes if she was any good she would get plenty of playing time. Not true, she performed well, just look at the numbers. Tara decided not to play twin towers together. The reason Betts didn't play is pretty elementary, it is Brink. I guess Clingan can't be any good because if he was, he would get many more minutes. Hurley also pretty much refused to use twin towers with Sanogo, even if Clingan was no worse than the third best player on the team.

If Olivia Miles was on Uconn and getting 10 minutes a game backing up Paige, some of you would say she can't be any good either, even if she was a very high recruit and in fact putting up very good numbers when she was in the game, just like Betts. Is it possible there is something concerning behind the scenes? Sure, but assuming something must be wrong just because a player doesn't get time behind one of the best C's in the country doesn't make sense.

Some of the minutes that Brink was sitting also went to other bigs and that is the closest to a legitimate concern. But even then, those were pretty much proven very good players that were seniors, with different skill sets, including the versatile Haley Jones a sure early draft pick, Prechtel a 6-5 girl who can shoot threes, and Bilibi a sensational 6-1 PF that can dunk. They might have received a little bit of senior entitlement minutes too vs. the freshmen.

Whether Betts should have gone to a program so loaded with bigs and in particular a C in Brink that might be ahead of her for two seasons? Maybe not, maybe she thought Tara would use them together and then she didn't. Some of the same concerns might have applied to Cardosa going to South Carolina. She knew she had Boston ahead of her for two years, and that she could have started at all but a handful of other schools, but went there anyway. Apparently that was not an issue for her, and Dawn made it considerably easier by trying twin towers a significant part of the time, and also by resting her starters a lot more than most coaches in blowouts.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Betts left to get playing time. Brink isn’t leaving, sorry to break it to you.
you don't know this. there could oodles of reasons for this move. maybe she was encouraged to leave by tara. maybe she hates palo alto. maybe despises a teammate. etc etc

you are making an uninformed assumption.

Reaction Score
you don't know this. there could oodles of reasons for this move. maybe she was encouraged to leave by tara. maybe she hates palo alto. maybe despises a teammate. etc etc

you are making an uninformed assumption.
I think it's a pretty astute assumption, given that she likely would've been backing up Brink again next year. Either way, Brink is not leaving Stanford with just one year left. There's no way she's giving up that Stanford degree. She already has a national championship and she's really close with the Curry family.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I think it's a pretty astute assumption, given that she likely would've been backing up Brink again next year. Either way, Brink is not leaving Stanford with just one year left. There's no way she's giving up that Stanford degree. She already has a national championship and she's really close with the Curry family.
well, i'm sure she's heading for east jerusalem state.

good old ejsu.

they need some bigs.

Reaction Score
Not feeling it! I don’t think we’ll be seeing Betts in Storrs. Truthfully, I think we’re fine and her addition might end up causing problems with our current roster. By problems, I mean transfers and or unhappiness. This team is loaded and,I believe, will be a top 3 team for several years at least. It is highly skilled and has great chemistry. Let’s be satisfied with what we have and take no unnecessary chances on affecting that chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom