Lagow going home... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Lagow going home...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sort of sympathetic to whaler's view. My take is that Boyle was always the coaches 1st choice. When he went to BC, they focused on Lagow with Taylor as a backup got commitments. Then Boyle came back, Lagow was not thrilled since he figured it was his job going forward. That resulted in his Hamlet on the Pecos act on signing day. I wish the kid well. But he strikes me as a bit of a prima dona. As for the pressure to use Connecticut kids, count me as skeptical. P is under pressure to win and win now. He'll use kids from Pluto if they held him win football games. But is gives Lagow a fig leaf so let it go. The more likely scenario is that Boyle was better, just as the coaches originally thought he would be and Taylor was better than expected, too. We always knew, at least I did, that 4 quarterbacks weren't staying among Cochran, Boyle, Lagow and Taylor.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
How about maybe he simply wasn't likely to see the field here? Going back to the spring signing day event at the Rent, the coaching staff said Boyle was straight up the highest ranked QB they had in the incoming class. Kivon was a other wrinkle.

That doesn't make Lagow a quitter or non-competitive. Sometimes, other folks are just better. And maybe that would change over time, but he obviously feels better suited to pursue other opportunities.

If I was on a 5 person team at work, and I was at the bottom of the heap and figuring out my career arc for the next 4 years - I'd work my ass off while there, but I'd only be harming myself if I didn't explore other options.

Reaction Score
I was actually serious you know. I know now who she is. I hardly ever watch UCONN sports on TV, pretty much always live. I"ve seen that girl before though at basketball games. She looks like she's going to fall over in those heels she wears. Probably because she doesnt' want to look short next to all the tall people. I never noticed who was interviewing PP when he was walking off the sidelines at half during games - and I don't remember Edsall ever doing - maybe selective memory? who knows. The whole process of that just really annoyed me and I shut down on it, just made me uncomfortable to hear it over the PA at the stadium. Interview for TV. The fans at the stadium, that are paying attention, don't need the coach to tell them what just happened.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As someone said, once a Husky, always a Husky.
Yeah, in my book you've got to play a game, or at least be on the side lines for a game that to apply. That said, I wish the kid well. He seems like a nice kid and his dad seemed like a good guy before the idiot fest broke out here.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
At the end of this year, at least one of the Fr QB's was going to transfer. Whether it was certain who it was going to be or not, other factors can certainly influence the decision to move early.

It would have been helpful for the program to have a quality kid from Texas. As much as it does from CT and NE.

I hope the kid does well, I liked him a lot.

Reaction Score
I was actually serious you know. I know now who she is. I hardly ever watch UCONN sports on TV, pretty much always live. I"ve seen that girl before though at basketball games. She looks like she's going to fall over in those heels she wears. Probably because she doesnt' want to look short next to all the tall people. I never noticed who was interviewing PP when he was walking off the sidelines at half during games - and I don't remember Edsall ever doing - maybe selective memory? who knows. The whole process of that just really annoyed me and I shut down on it, just made me uncomfortable to hear it over the PA at the stadium. Interview for TV. The fans at the stadium, that are paying attention, don't need the coach to tell them what just happened.
Right up there with the "Drive of the Game" when you are losing with Joe D describing it in all its glorious detail. It is give me a break time especially given the offense of the last year. I would cringe and shake my head in a WTF moment when that got played. I almost like DJ Joey better. Maybe I'll change my mind when we become an offensive juggernaut this year.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
To be honest, I wish the kid well, he's 18 and has a college career and life ahead of him.

Just by looking at the situation, it APPEARED, he expected to be given the job and when Boyle and Kivon came on board his old man was on here proclaiming he was too sick to sign his name on a sheet on paper and fax it in.

Couple weeks later after, PRESUMABLY not finding any other suitable offers, he recommits to UConn with a scholarship that P didn't have to honor.

Three weeks into his UConn career he found himself, PRESUMABLY 5th on the QB depth chart abd decided to transfer. All while we have to read on here how P was forced to play local players, he wasn't given a fair shot and that he had offers waiting from Bama and Oklahoma.

The decision is his and he made the right one for him.

I just don't like or understand the love fest going on here for a guy who decommitted last minute abd then transfers after 3 weeks.

If anyone didn't give themselves a fair shake in the competition it was Lagow himself.

Best wishes but I'm not going to sit here and have people make our program, recruiting or our coach out to be the bad guys here.

Reaction Score
Right up there with the "Drive of the Game" when you are losing with Joe D describing it in all its glorious detail. It is give me a break time especially given the offense of the last year. I would cringe and shake my head in a WTF moment when that got played. I almost like DJ Joey better. Maybe I'll change my mind when we become an offensive juggernaut this year.

See, I'm not really familiar with that either. DJ Joey must go though. nothing wrong with music in the stadium, and there should be music, pump up music, but that guy on the microphone has to go.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
What makes you think He gave RL a fair shot?
Um, I don't know... the complete absence of any evidence to the contrary? My personal habit of not making * up out of thin air? RL's own statement that the QB position is "stocked"?

Reaction Score
I wish him the best wherever he ends up. Seems like a good kid who comes from a solid family, and he'll have other options.

Let's get Fuchs on campus and focus on Towson. All the speculation is a waste of time and energy IMO.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I just feel the need to point out what should be obvious - when there's a competition, somebody has to come in last. The fact that someone comes in last does not necessarily mean that they weren't competing. The fact that someone comes in first, second, third does not necessarily mean they finished where they did due to some kind of bias.

Reaction Score
This is such a Production industry.

There is pressure, subtle and overt, to play Connecticut kids and to find great New England diamonds in the rough. We thrive on that here. But, a few Texas kids and Georgia and even a Punter from Louisville were embraced. There is a whole roster of guys ... beginning with the QB Coach and then the new OC that would have to bend to a PP urging to play a Connecticut kid and place a higher priority. WE LOVE the idea of Connecticut kids starring here. My favorites have often been the Scott Lutrus ... or even a Danny Murray or Anthony Sherman or Kendall Reyes who emerged from NE HS obscurity.

This Boneyard board definitely went overboard on Mr Lagow. I think he is a solid talent. His situation plays out over and over through CFB. Read Phil Steele's book and you can find lots of QBs who have started somewhere and saw a pileup and scooted. There is nothing wrong. We have one ourselves in Whitmer. Lagow has to get better. If he can find the right slot, we can root him on in some other colors.

Reaction Score
At the end of this year, at least one of the Fr QB's was going to transfer. Whether it was certain who it was going to be or not, other factors can certainly influence the decision to move early.

It would have been helpful for the program to have a quality kid from Texas. As much as it does from CT and NE.

I hope the kid does well, I liked him a lot.

For fear of beating this dead horse any further ... If Lagow didn't waffle that February morning, would there have been 3 QB's in this class?

Reaction Score
Right, we should stop discussing a major story that isn't even 24 hours old yet.
In view of the fact that there is no news coming from the Courant I guess that this is it till after the Towson game. How sad for things to have gotten to this low level. Hope that Richard Lagow does well were ever he ends up. I will root for him in future years as a former Husky doing well somewhere else. Hopefully we will face him in a big time Bowl in the next 5 years

Reaction Score
My guess is that there was never a plan to take 3. But Boyle was always, always always the guy they wanted. When he and BC parted ways UConn couldn't ignore the opportunity. I think Taylor was always the #2 guy in the class. If they got lagow, it would have been lagow and Taylor. if they got Boyle it would have been Boyle-Taylor. I suspect that when they landed Boyle on the rebound, so to speak, Lagow always became odd man out. He wasn't considered to be as good a player, being from Texas or Torrington was irrelevant. He looked around after his commitment, held off but likely found most of the spots he wanted already filled. He will probably go the JC route for a year and end up somewhere if he's good enough. I suppose he could go 1AA as an alternative, where he will likely have a job pretty quickly. While you want the position to be well stocked, there is such a thing as being overstocked and it would have been with Lagow. there is only 1 football and 1 quarterback allowed at a time.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For fear of beating this dead horse any further ... If Lagow didn't waffle that February morning, would there have been 3 QB's in this class?

I don't believe in any of the conspiracies, but if you told me Boyle's late signing was contingent on not redshirting as pushed by the CTHS community, then I've heard wackier theories.

But, long term getting kids from the deeper Texas pool is more important than appeasing the HS coaches for one kid, so I think it's bunk.

If I knew I was sitting out a year then had 50/50 or less shot at the starting job AND had other options AND wanted to be closer to home, I would transfer before classes started.

It's his life, and it's not ours to judge. Especially, given the situation doesn't hurt the program at all.

Reaction Score
My guess is that there was never a plan to take 3. But Boyle was always, always always the guy they wanted. When he and BC parted ways UConn couldn't ignore the opportunity. I think Taylor was always the #2 guy in the class. If they got lagow, it would have been lagow and Taylor. if they got Boyle it would have been Boyle-Taylor. I suspect that when they landed Boyle on the rebound, so to speak, Lagow always became odd man out. He wasn't considered to be as good a player, being from Texas or Torrington was irrelevant. He looked around after his commitment, held off but likely found most of the spots he wanted already filled. He will probably go the JC route for a year and end up somewhere if he's good enough. I suppose he could go 1AA as an alternative, where he will likely have a job pretty quickly. While you want the position to be well stocked, there is such a thing as being overstocked and it would have been with Lagow. there is only 1 football and 1 quarterback allowed at a time.
Sometimes being overstocked can be a good thing. While I'm no Thunderchicken fan, the denizons of 'Nut Hill think fondly of a qb that was 4th on the depth chart to start his freshman training camp & emerged to a CFL & NFL career. As Doug Flutie proved, the cream rises to the top..
I wish Richard Lagow the best in his future endeavors. I thank him for his interest in UConn football. I hope that his transfer doesn't impeed future UConn recruiting in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom