KLS=WOW | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KLS=WOW

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Jamaal wasn't as prolific a scorer as GG. She reminds me of the Iceman. He was 6'7", I know he had the finger roll but from when I watched him play, that jumper was quick, smooth, automatic and deadly. How many 30 point games did JW put up?
Not many. But again, Ice was known for his athleticism as much or more than his smoothness. He was also quick as hell. Lou comes off that curl similar to Jamaal. He was "Ice" because he was fearless and could score with no matter how many were draped on him, and at any time. Nasty cross over, and a lot of his game was inside of 15 feet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am surprised at her speed and quickness. Well, some quickness can be developed, like jumping in the passing lanes like Stewie. But I remember watching her on breakaways last year and she seemed to labor. I wouldn't have said she was fast. But this year she looks positively elegant running away from her competitors!

Reaction Score
KLS was 0-for-4 in Q1, and sat out Q4, meaning she only scored in Q2 and Q3, and yet had the game high 32 points!

Reaction Score
KLS is a better shooter than Breanna because she's a better 3-point shooter. Better overall? Only time will tell. That would be a tall order.

Reaction Score
Not many. But again, Ice was known for his athleticism as much or more than his smoothness. He was also quick as hell. Lou comes off that curl similar to Jamaal. He was "Ice" because he was fearless and could score with no matter how many were draped on him, and at any time. Nasty cross over, and a lot of his game was inside of 15 feet.
I watched him torch the Sixers quite a few times. Trust me, everything he did was smooth. His jumper was silky. KLS has that same game. Jumper and build is very similar to the Iceman. Most video clips of the Iceman, you see his defender up in his face because his jumper was automatic, and he could score in bunches much like KLS. I know JW was smooth but to compare KLS to him is an injustice to her. She's on a higher level.

Reaction Score
I am surprised at her speed and quickness. Well, some quickness can be developed, like jumping in the passing lanes like Stewie. But I remember watching her on breakaways last year and she seemed to labor. I wouldn't have said she was fast. But this year she looks positively elegant running away from her competitors!

On breakaways, when she has a defender on her, her last 2-3 strides to the basket pull her ahead of that defender so the layup is impossible to block. It's sometimes jawdropping.

Reaction Score
One thing more. If over the summer she improves her ball handling skills just a smidgen more she'll the world's nastiest and unguardable 2. A starting lineup of her, Nurse, Z, Pheesa and Gabby would be a nightmare. With any configuration next year, as a junior she'll be THE contender for POY.

Right on, Jordy. And, in addition to those projected starters, I reckon there's about 80 points in reserve sitting on the bench. We're on the cusp of the greatest group of players that UConn has ever run out on a court. Good for them; great for us.

Reaction Score
Seriously :) if what we see now is a 3, how scary (to anybody who is to play against UConn) will a 9 or 10 be?

JordyG

Reaction Score
I watched him torch the Sixers quite a few times. Trust me, everything he did was smooth. His jumper was silky. KLS has that same game. Jumper and build is very similar to the Iceman. Most video clips of the Iceman, you see his defender up in his face because his jumper was automatic, and he could score in bunches much like KLS. I know JW was smooth but to compare KLS to him is an injustice to her. She's on a higher level.
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I say Ice's athleticism (remember that 2nd place to the Doc in the ABA slam dunk comp?), his crossover, his inside play, his lethal ball handling skills, and his finger roll overtshadow his smoothness in relationship to Lou. Whereas Silk did score 30 in college, not often in the pro's. But his overall smoothness, coming off the curl, his modest inside play and just his overall look as he moved and dribbled (Lou even occasionally seems to hunch her shoulders like Silk) make him a much more ready comparison.

Reaction Score
One thing more. If over the summer she improves her ball handling skills just a smidgen more she'll the world's nastiest and unguardable 2. A starting lineup of her, Nurse, Z, Pheesa and Gabby would be a nightmare. With any configuration next year, as a junior she'll be THE contender for POY.

She will have to settle for being a NPOY major contender for now.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Right on, Jordy. And, in addition to those projected starters, I reckon there's about 80 points in reserve sitting on the bench. We're on the cusp of the greatest group of players that UConn has ever run out on a court. Good for them; great for us.
And bad for the competition and Dan Shaughnessy.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Seriously :) if what we see now is a 3, how scary (to anybody who is to play against UConn) will a 9 or 10 be?
If she's a 3 now, I'll settle for a 5 Junior and a 6 or 7 Senior.

Reaction Score
I've been watching UCONN bball since the first championship. I've seen MM, DT, BS and just about all of the greats. I have never seen a player score the way KLS can. She is just so smooth, she scores in bunches like no other player I've seen. Deadly from 3, like KML. Unstoppable midrange coming off of screens like DT. Can drive and finish around the rim like BS. The sky is the limit for this young lady. Unbelievable performance.

We have seen in 3 games this year--when the going gets tough--this tough young woman gets going!!
She lays back and allows her team to do what they do best --until they can't . A pure teammate and a take charge lady.
I agree WoW!!

Reaction Score
Phillyconn, I agree whole heartedly. Last 4 games KLS has scored 118 points and made 20 threes. Haven't checked, but if any other player may have equaled or exceeded these numbers, it most likely would have been Maya. Tuesdays game will be #19 and if UCONN make the NC Game, it will be the halfway point of the season. KLS now has 803 career points and 144 3's. As Bob mentioned in the broadcast, KLS was the high school player of the year and if I remember correctly she broke all of KML's high school scoring records. It appears she will also be chasing her UCONN records as well.

I think KML holds most of the total (amount) numbers and KLS holds most of the avg (per game) records. KML was a great but Lou will end up being a better overall player regardless of where numbers end up.

Reaction Score
The ironic and unintended consequence of that could be that Z might leave after one year, her figuring it's Lou's team and Lou's glory....
I doubt that a thought like that would even enter into the mind of a player that intelligent and who has spent over a year in the culture of that team. Stevens doesn't strike me as a "me" player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So what do we think 10 looks like?
Something really, really, really, really good.

She looked like Maya, Stewie, or Gabby playing the passing lanes today. Yes, Lou can take over games by scoring, but she did it on the defensive end as well today. She's becoming more and more of a complete player. I think she's second in the NPOY voting right now. Put her name on the wall.

Reaction Score
The ironic and unintended consequence of that could be that Z might leave after one year, her figuring it's Lou's team and Lou's glory....
Huh? Where'd you get that from? Did you pull that out of your hat coach? Let's not assume or just make up situations.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think KML holds most of the total (amount) numbers and KLS holds most of the avg (per game) records. KML was a great but Lou will end up being a better overall player regardless of where numbers end up.
Kaleena played at Mater Dei for 4 seasons. Lou played there for 3 years after her first year at Edison.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom