KLS=WOW | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KLS=WOW

Reaction Score
KLS is a better shooter than Breanna because she's a better 3-point shooter. Better overall? Only time will tell. That would be a tall order.

But Breanna did much more underneath. Breanna played much taller. Whether it was because of her enormous wing-span, or because, perhaps, she jumped higher, Stewart was a much more imposing presence underneath, on both the offensive and defensive ends of the court.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think KML holds most of the total (amount) numbers and KLS holds most of the avg (per game) records. KML was a great but Lou will end up being a better overall player regardless of where numbers end up.
I think Lou only played three years at Mater Die but holds the single season records.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
One thing more. If over the summer she improves her ball handling skills just a smidgen more she'll the world's nastiest and unguardable 2. A starting lineup of her, Nurse, Z, Pheesa and Gabby would be a nightmare. With any configuration next year, as a junior she'll be THE contender for POY.
There are a number of players this season averaging a double double. KLS is going to have to up her rebounding average for her to be considered POY, imo. Some of those players are averaging 19 to 20 points a game as well as 10 or more rebounds a game. However, if she can average seven to eight rebounds a game she will have a good chance to win. Remember, next season there is a player on her team who is sitting on the bench now who may qualify for the POY award next season. Also, if Gabby and Collier have the same kind of season next season that they are having now, they may be considered for POY by some.

Reaction Score
Let's not just focus on Lou's scoring prowess. Her entire game was on display today.

She plays very good D.
She's rebounding ( remember she's the Samuelson who can't rebound)
She's getting steals
She handles the ball like a very good guard - which she is.
She can and does pass with the best of them.

All this equals a big WOW!

I think that at this point in her development Katie Lou is ahead of where Stewie was. Their games are not the same, nor their physical basketball assets, but they are really pretty similar in many ways.

Reaction Score
Spent more of my kids inheritance today to scalp tix for front row, center court-and let me tell you, from that perspective, Lou's speed was unbelievable!! To be fair, the entire starting lineup's speed is something to behold from close up-it blew me away. I also have a new appreciation on the level of defensive intensity. Just to be able to watch and listen to Kia on defense was worth the inflated cost of admission:) These women are flat out amazing!!

Reaction Score
I think that at this point in her development Katie Lou is ahead of where Stewie was. Their games are not the same, nor their physical basketball assets, but they are really pretty similar in many ways.

Maybe -- but I don't agree - but maybe - maybe it's hwo one looks at it-- post vs wing. . Stewie was boring in a way - all you had to do when you needed a basket was just throw it inside to her. It's boring so she doesn't look as spectacular. Maybe - in that posts take a bit more time to develop. But I'm not sure. For example, as an alternative, you can shutdown Lou if you throw a box-and-one at her. You can take the ball out of her hands. SO she still hasn't grown enough to ensure you can always get her the ball. OFC the UCONN team will make a team pay dearly for doing the gimmick. Anyhow, you could never do that to Stewie. Stewie led her team in offensive rebounds in her soph year so she could also factor in directly as a scorer even when she doesn't take the initial shot. Though Lou's presence is special too. Anyhow, Stewie had amazing movement but was both taller and quicker. I guess because it is harder for posts - maybe Lou is "ahead."

In Stewie's frosh year she got pushed around a lot during the season. I think it rarely happened her soph year. And the growth Stewie was showing was awesome too but I think we tend to forget. For example her frosh year she couldn't pass. Her soph year she averaged 3 assists per game and a little above 1.5 turnovers. And if I think there was a defensive rating in wcbb- the impact Stewie made vs what Lou makes would be huge.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The ironic and unintended consequence of that could be that Z might leave after one year, her figuring it's Lou's team and Lou's glory....

Bags, don't hold me to this but, I think I remember reading somewhere that Geno only agreed to accept Stevens if she agreed to play for TWO seasons.
I believe I saw it here (BY) right after the announcement that she was transferring. At that time, we didn't have any other BIGS in the pipeline like we do now (Charli Collier). She had not committed to UConn yet. Does anyone have any information on this?

Reaction Score
Maybe -- For example, as an alternative, you can shutdown Lou if you throw a box-and-one at her. You can take the ball out of her hands. SO she still hasn't grown enough to ensure you can always get her the ball.

When has this happened? I haven't seen Lou shutdown and with the variety of ways she can score I do not see it happening. Especially with the confidence she is playing with now.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Spent more of my kids inheritance today to scalp tix for front row, center court-and let me tell you, from that perspective, Lou's speed was unbelievable!! To be fair, the entire starting lineup's speed is something to behold from close up-it blew me away. I also have a new appreciation on the level of defensive intensity. Just to be able to watch and listen to Kia on defense was worth the inflated cost of admission:) These women are flat out amazing!!

You must be part of the SKI CLUB...spend kids inheritance!!!! ;);)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bags, don't hold me to this but, I think I remember reading somewhere that Geno only agreed to accept Stevens if she agreed to play for TWO seasons.
I believe I saw it here (BY) right after the announcement that she was transferring. At that time, we didn't have any other BIGS in the pipeline like we do now (Charli Collier). She had not committed to UConn yet. Does anyone have any information on this?
I sure hope that Z stays for 2 seasons (not counting the current one).

Reaction Score
When has this happened? I haven't seen Lou shutdown and with the variety of ways she can score I do not see it happening. Especially with the confidence she is playing with now.

Yesterday's game.

a box-and-one's design is to deny the ball and to have someone in your grill as soon as you cat the ball. While she still could devastate the Tulanes -- she isn't quick enough to spring free vs the elite yet imo. Take a look at the ND game. She became unstoppable imo when they moved her to the elbow at the ft line. ANd she was guarded by a frosh.

1-- It is doubtful she is allowed to catch the ball at the elbow in a box-and-one.
2-- If she does, the thing about a box-and-one is if you beat one man off the dribble you have to immediately face a 2nd if not be doubled right away - though she is a very, very good passer.
3-- It doesn't matter to a certain degree how well a player is playing when a box-and-one is thrown at them. A box-and-one is about "numbers." The one player defending - doesn't help. All the defender does is face-guard the offensive player.
4-- Lou isn't especially quick nor strong in which she could displace her defender in a box-and-one. The thing is- yesterday a player that Antonelli said was 5'8 blocked her jump shot. The elite teams have several athletes that are capable especially if the defense put up is designed to stop Lou.

Anyhow -- its a testament to the greatness of Lou that an opposing team would even try to do this considering we have several other great players on our team. Lou is great. Really really great so far.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yesterday's game.

a box-and-one's design is to deny the ball and to have someone in your grill as soon as you cat the ball. While she still could devastate the Tulanes -- she isn't quick enough to spring free vs the elite yet imo. Take a look at the ND game. She became unstoppable imo when they moved her to the elbow at the ft line. ANd she was guarded by a frosh.

1-- It is doubtful she is allowed to catch the ball at the elbow in a box-and-one.
2-- If she does, the thing about a box-and-one is if you beat one man off the dribble you have to immediately face a 2nd if not be doubled right away - though she is a very, very good passer.
3-- It doesn't matter to a certain degree how well a player is playing when a box-and-one is thrown at them. A box-and-one is about "numbers." The one player defending - doesn't help. All the defender does is face-guard the offensive player.
4-- Lou isn't especially quick nor strong in which she could displace her defender in a box-and-one. The thing is- yesterday a player that Antonelli said was 5'8 blocked her jump shot. The elite teams have several athletes that are capable especially if the defense put up is designed to stop Lou.

Anyhow -- its a testament to the greatness of Lou that an opposing team would even try to do this considering we have several other great players on our team. Lou is great. Really really great so far.

Please fedex this post to Geno and Lou. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So what do we think 10 looks like?
let's remind all that Geno said 10 = all she can be! the sliding scale he is using is his measure of her potential and he thinks there so much more potential game in Lou! this is a good thing

Reaction Score
Yesterday's game.

Got it. I recognized it (box+1) in the game yesterday but my point was she has not been stopped. One block by a 5'8" person on Lou is a rarity. Pheese who is great against larger opponents has had her shot blocked more than Lou. I have only seen her get blocked a few times this year.

I somewhat disagree on her ability to break free from "athletic defenders." Maryland is pretty athletic and she was able to rise and get her shot off. In fact, according to Muffet she put that frosh on her because she is the only one that had a chance to cover her (outside Turner who was needed down low.) Lou is pretty athletic, just not compared to Gabby (but most aren't.) I have seen her break free from any defender one on one. Regardless, and to your point, I doubt other teams will try to do this anyhow because of the rest of the talent on the floor. I think yesterday was about a coach saying we need to try something different against UConn.

Reaction Score
Please fedex this post to Geno and Lou. :rolleyes:

No skin off my back if you roll your eyes. Just wondering- what is your interpretation of what a box-and-one is supposed to do?
Per the link below Maya shot 8-19 from the floor on a triangle-and-two. To start the game the link below clealry states Stanford went into the trianagle-and-two. That gimmick defense did a pretty good job on Maya, didn't it?
Other than 8-19 from the floor, Maya shot 1 free throw for the entire game and had 3 assists and 4 turnovers.
So if Maya Moore can be somewhat contained in a gimmick defense, and if we take off our blue-and-white shaded glasses, why can't we open up to the possibility that Lou might have a similar fate if a gimmick is thrown at her ?

Believe what you will -- I can recall one when Maya was guarded by a gimmick that Geno said to paraphrase that "he wasn't going to keep pounding a nail already embedded into the wall nail" In other words he wasn't going to force the ball to Maya. Only a gimmick defense can make him say something like this right?

Reaction Score
Got it. I recognized it (box+1) in the game yesterday but my point was she has not been stopped. One block by a 5'8" person on Lou is a rarity. Pheese who is great against larger opponents has had her shot blocked more than Lou. I have only seen her get blocked a few times this year.

I somewhat disagree on her ability to break free from "athletic defenders." Maryland is pretty athletic and she was able to rise and get her shot off. In fact, according to Muffet she put that frosh on her because she is the only one that had a chance to cover her (outside Turner who was needed down low.) Lou is pretty athletic, just not compared to Gabby (but most aren't.) I have seen her break free from any defender one on one. Regardless, and to your point, I doubt other teams will try to do this anyhow because of the rest of the talent on the floor. I think yesterday was about a coach saying we need to try something different against UConn.

When I spoke of the box-and-one it wasn't anything to do with a slam on Lou but as my last sentence posted to you -- it was like a reverence to greatness that a team would do it even though this UCONN team has obscene balance. It's a testament to how great Lou has been playing.

On these boards we've all experienced if you think "Dt is greatest " Or Maya or Stewie. You get into these battles in which you feel like you have to knock down the other great player to prove your point. After a few posts - I start wondering what am I dong?

In this case I love Lou's game. I love Lou's game. I love Lou's game. I love Lou's game. She just looks so much "MOORE" (a presence) than the opposition. With all that said, I just happen to think that if an opposing team went extreme and tried a gimmick on a soph stewie vs a soph Lou (assuming they had equally talented teammates and opposition), I think because of STeiw's superior quickness, athleticism, length, and wingspan - that she can get off good shots better than Lou. Thus I'm grading Stewie a "99.25" (I'm making up the number just to identify both are GREAT and offensively they are extremely close.) while grading Lou a 98.88.

I made up the numbers just to make a point - that I think Lou is sensational. Now that she has found her groove, I am so interested to see what type of player or defense can stop her. Similarily as you say Lou is unstoppable, I wondering what would it take to stop Lou? OFC she can have bad games, but I mean is there a Dennis Rodman/Dave DeBusscherre/Sam Jones out there? I feel sick mentioning Rodman. Because I don't know of one yet, I threw out an extreme example of a box-and-one.

Reaction Score
In my comment about Lou vs Stewie there was, first of all, no disparagement of Stewie intended. I think we all know we may never see better or even the like. There are certain ways in which KLS can never equal B S simply because of the difference in height and Stewie's vaunted "wing span".
But I believe that Katie is already a better 3 pt shooter than Stewie at her best, and her moves in and around the basket are already extraordinary. This year she is showing much-improved mid-range and it is still getting better.
I won't waste time on defense. We all know that as a junior and senior Stewart was better than KLS is now, but she seems to be improving with every game. 8 steals!
But really, my main point is that Katie Lou has only played just more than 1.5 seasons, the first as a second-tier player where she was never asked to do much more than fire up 3's. And we can contrast that to the Stewart we saw at the end of 4 seasons, where she was incomparable and destined to become a legend. I think she already is.
Based on what we've seen so far, I believe that Lou has the potential to be every bit as valuable as Stewie was, though certainly in her own and sometimes different ways.

Reaction Score
When I spoke of the box-and-one it wasn't anything to do with a slam on Lou but as my last sentence posted to you -- it was like a reverence to greatness that a team would do it even though this UCONN team has obscene balance. It's a testament to how great Lou has been playing.

On these boards we've all experienced if you think "Dt is greatest " Or Maya or Stewie. You get into these battles in which you feel like you have to knock down the other great player to prove your point. After a few posts - I start wondering what am I dong?

In this case I love Lou's game. I love Lou's game. I love Lou's game. I love Lou's game. She just looks so much "MOORE" (a presence) than the opposition. With all that said, I just happen to think that if an opposing team went extreme and tried a gimmick on a soph stewie vs a soph Lou (assuming they had equally talented teammates and opposition), I think because of STeiw's superior quickness, athleticism, length, and wingspan - that she can get off good shots better than Lou. Thus I'm grading Stewie a "99.25" (I'm making up the number just to identify both are GREAT and offensively they are extremely close.) while grading Lou a 98.88.

I made up the numbers just to make a point - that I think Lou is sensational. Now that she has found her groove, I am so interested to see what type of player or defense can stop her. Similarily as you say Lou is unstoppable, I wondering what would it take to stop Lou? OFC she can have bad games, but I mean is there a Dennis Rodman/Dave DeBusscherre/Sam Jones out there? I feel sick mentioning Rodman. Because I don't know of one yet, I threw out an extreme example of a box-and-one.

Surething. I was just commenting as well. We are on the same page.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom