Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Here is the pertinent part of that clip in slow mo

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Here is the pertinent part of that clip in slow mo

What is shown in this video is perfectly legal but is not what I am talking about. I am talking about when she is STANDING on the perimeter and receives a pass, NOT when she is moving to receive a pass. When she is standing in place, stationary, not moving, both feet on the ground, and receives a pass she has the same hop to propel herself, then hops again. That is not what this video clip shows, it shows her moving into a pass, not receiving it from a stationary position.

Look at the video at about the 1:40 mark. You will see that she receives the pass, hops, then jumps to take the shot. That is what I am referring to.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Again a perfectly legal play.

I have seen times where she rolls up on her toes without losing/breaking contact with the floor and comes back on her heels and up for the shot. It is kind of a cock and load action.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

That second clip where she received the ball near the left baseline does seem like a travel to me. IMO she established the right foot as the pivot but then hopped with both feet before shooting a jump shot.

The earlier clip where she caught the ball out high was clearly not a travel.

JS

Reaction Score
IMO she established the right foot as the pivot but then hopped with both feet before shooting a jump shot.
Didn't see it that way. She receives, lifts the left foot and then hops away from the defender off the right foot (one hop, not two), lands on both feet and goes up off both feet for the shot.

Reaction Score
That second clip where she received the ball near the left baseline does seem like a travel to me. IMO she established the right foot as the pivot but then hopped with both feet before shooting a jump shot.

Act of shooting movement. How many steps are you allowed?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Didn't see it that way. She receives, lifts the left foot and then hops away from the defender off the right foot (one hop, not two), lands on both feet and goes up off both feet for the shot.

If you accept that both feet are planted** when she receives the ball, I don't believe that the sequence you describe is materially different from a single two-footed "bunny" hop. (In looking at it again I do agree your description of the sequence is more accurate.) A single hop--from a two-footed stance to a two-footed stance--is still a travel even if both feet do not leave the ground simultaneously, at least in my book . . .

** I had to watch it a few times but it does appear to me that her left foot is touching the floor when she receives the ball, if only for a split second.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If you accept that both feet are planted** when she receives the ball, I don't believe that the sequence you describe is materially different from a single two-footed "bunny" hop. (In looking at it again I do agree your description of the sequence is more accurate.) A single hop--from a two-footed stance to a two-footed stance--is still a travel even if both feet do not leave the ground simultaneously, at least in my book . . .

** I had to watch it a few times but it does appear to me that her left foot is touching the floor when she receives the ball, if only for a split second.

But not if they simply ride up on the toes without displacement.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
But not if they simply ride up on the toes without displacement.

In looking at a few times (thanks to Biff for the slo-mo), it appears to me that both of her feet do in fact leave the floor. The left foot clearly does. The right foot is a closer call, but to me it also moves (off the floor).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm a little troubled by the second video, but it may be the equivalent of the jump stop or the step through. In the pre-Jordan era, players were allowed one and a fraction steps. Then it was liberalized to two full steps. Brooke Smith of Stanford had a reverse pivot on her hook shot that clearly looked like a travel to me, but the refs allowed her two full steps after stopping and changing direction. Given the liberalized interpretations, what the heck were those traveling calls against us in the recent game??

Reaction Score
I'm a little troubled by the second video, but it may be the equivalent of the jump stop or the step through. In the pre-Jordan era, players were allowed one and a fraction steps. Then it was liberalized to two full steps. Brooke Smith of Stanford had a reverse pivot on her hook shot that clearly looked like a travel to me, but the refs allowed her two full steps after stopping and changing direction. Given the liberalized interpretations, what the heck were those traveling calls against us in the recent game??
Aren't the extra steps allowed a function of dribble continuation? (i.e. Since Jordan could dribble in slo-mo before entering a low-altitude earth orbit, he could get in 3-4 steps during the ball's upswing toward the basket). Don't see how it applies if there is no dribbling...?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aren't the extra steps allowed a function of dribble continuation? (i.e. Since Jordan could dribble in slo-mo before entering a low-altitude earth orbit, he could get in 3-4 steps during the ball's upswing toward the basket). Don't see how it applies if there is no dribbling...?
I thought it was related to the dribble continuation, but Brooke Smith was no longer dribbling and even changed directions. I think no dribbling at all doesn't give the player 2 steps.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I agree wholly.

Reaction Score
In tonight's game, the announcer made a instantly classic comment, "Katie Lou know what to do." Then KLS sunk a three pointer. Awesome. I had to post it.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
In tonight's game, the announcer made a instantly classic comment, "Katie Lou know what to do." Then KLS sunk a three pointer. Awesome. I had to post it.
Well you got the order wrong but does not lessen the point. I included a slo-mo of the shot as another sample for the "analysts" out there.

Reaction Score
Well you got the order wrong but does not lessen the point. I included a slo-mo of the shot as another sample for the "analysts" out there.

Thanks for the correction. I guess I was so Wowed by the phrase, that I mixed up the sequence a bit.
Glad I didn't imagine it. My kids would have a field day.

Reaction Score
Both shots are legal, that is not travelling. I think all agree on that on the shot from the top of the key. With relation to the shot from the left it depends on whether you consider KLS in motion when she receives the ball. I think it is clear she is in motion and (I suspect the ref agreed) the motion to a "try for goal" is called a jump stop.

Reaction Score
Just to clarify, under the rules "motion" is often not a factor. If a player catches the ball with one foot on the ground, even if she is not moving at all, she is entitled to jump off that foot and then land on both feet (jump stop) with the ball still in her possession. She no longer has a pivot foot in that case - but she can jump again to shoot or pass.

Likewise, she can catch the ball in midair, land on one foot - then jump off that foot and land on both feet (jump stop). Then jump to shoot or pass.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I feel like the "Does KLS travel when she shoots" debate will be this year's "How tall is Bria?" or "Should Doty be starting?" or "Why doesn't Heather play more?"

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
This is not an attempt to criticize, so please don't take the question as anything other than a pure analysis of her shot. To me it appears that each time she receives a pass on the perimeter and immediately shoots that she takes a hop and then releases her shot. To me it looks like she is committing a walking penalty when she does that but maybe I am not as familiar with what is allowed in terms of foot movement prior to the shot.

Thoughts?
I can't even respond to this thread because I'm laughing to hard at your Avatar photo.

Reaction Score
I feel like the "Does KLS travel when she shoots" debate will be this year's "How tall is Bria?" or "Should Doty be starting?" or "Why doesn't Heather play more?"
I am treating this as nothing more than a rules debate to better understand the rules..... frankly you can substitute KML for KLS because imo KML occasionally used a similar move.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Both shots are legal, that is not travelling. I think all agree on that on the shot from the top of the key. With relation to the shot from the left it depends on whether you consider KLS in motion when she receives the ball. I think it is clear she is in motion and (I suspect the ref agreed) the motion to a "try for goal" is called a jump stop.

This question boils down to whether or not you think both of her feet were touching the floor at the moment she received the ball.

If you think that both feet are on the ground then Article 3 and Article 5(a) control and it is travelling because she moved both feet when she jumped to her left and returned them to the floor before shooting. (Either foot might be deemed to be the pivot foot, but both feet were lifted and then returned to the floor before the shot so it's a moot point as to which was the pivot.)

If you think that her left foot is not touching the ground when she receives the ball, then you can look to Article 4(b) and say she was in motion, jumping off her right foot and then landing on both feet before shooting. Which is OK.

In watching Biff's slo-mo several times, it appeared to me that her left foot was in fact on the court when she caught the pass, so it's a travel. YMMV.

------------------------------------------------
Section 6. Traveling

Art. 1. A player shall not travel with the ball.

Art. 2. Traveling occurs when a player holding the ball moves a foot or both feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits described in this section.

Art. 3. A player who catches the ball with both feet on the playing court may pivot, using either foot. When one foot is lifted, the other is the pivot foot.

Art. 4. A player who catches the ball while moving or ends a dribble may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows:
a. When both feet are off the playing court and the player lands:
.. .1. Simultaneously on both feet, either may be the pivot foot;
.. .2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be the pivot foot;
.. .3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both, in which case neither foot can be the pivot foot.
b. When one foot is on the playing court:
. ..1. That foot shall be the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a step;
.. .2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both, in which case neither foot can then be the pivot foot.

Art. 5. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;
b. The pivot foot shall not be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble.

Art. 6. After coming to a stop when neither foot can be the pivot foot:
a. One or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the playing court before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;
b. Neither foot shall be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble.

Art. 7. It is traveling when a player falls to the playing court while holding the ball without maintaining a pivot foot.

Just to clarify, under the rules "motion" is often not a factor. If a player catches the ball with one foot on the ground, even if she is not moving at all, she is entitled to jump off that foot and then land on both feet (jump stop) with the ball still in her possession. She no longer has a pivot foot in that case - but she can jump again to shoot or pass.

Likewise, she can catch the ball in midair, land on one foot - then jump off that foot and land on both feet (jump stop). Then jump to shoot or pass.

My post above is just a longer way of saying what stamfordhusky said . . . :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog