KLS Shot Analysis | The Boneyard

KLS Shot Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This is not an attempt to criticize, so please don't take the question as anything other than a pure analysis of her shot. To me it appears that each time she receives a pass on the perimeter and immediately shoots that she takes a hop and then releases her shot. To me it looks like she is committing a walking penalty when she does that but maybe I am not as familiar with what is allowed in terms of foot movement prior to the shot.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
The way the refs were calling "walks" last night and none were on her, I would say it's alright. It does look suspicious and I am sure it will come up in the future. My guess is that she hops as she is catching the ball and hasn't established a pivot foot yet. Hence, it is not a travel.

I noticed that she was holding her hand in pain during the first half. After that her shot was off for the rest of the night.

Reaction Score
The way the refs were calling "walks" last night and none were on her, I would say it's alright. It does look suspicious and I am sure it will come up in the future. My guess is that she hops as she is catching the ball and hasn't established a pivot foot yet. Hence, it is not a travel.

I noticed that she was holding her hand in pain during the first half. After that her shot was off for the rest of the night.
You noticed the walk call on Nurse? Slo mo'd it several times. No way, jose.

Reaction Score
Her shooting motion from the three is similar to Saniya Chong. I like KLS touch inside the three point line where she seems more natural and in the flow of the game. Some kids seem robotic and rehearsed behind that line. Regardless, she hasn't established a pivot as Kmoney pointed out so don't see a travel!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I disagree that she hasn't established a pivot foot. It is virtually impossible for both feet to leave the ground at exactly the same times, so as soon as she leaves the ground to initiate the hopping motion she has established a pivot foot with whichever foot leaves the ground last, even if it is just a fraction of a second behind.

I have a feeling some ref is going to challenge this down the road.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

I believe Geno said in previous post game comments that KLS was complaining of hand or finger pain. I'm guessing Geno wants her to work through it.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
She was also holding her right hand during the Nebraska game.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
This is not an attempt to criticize, so please don't take the question as anything other than a pure analysis of her shot. To me it appears that each time she receives a pass on the perimeter and immediately shoots that she takes a hop and then releases her shot. To me it looks like she is committing a walking penalty when she does that but maybe I am not as familiar with what is allowed in terms of foot movement prior to the shot.

Thoughts?
I agree with you. And Chong does it as well. A whole bunch of people do, men and women. I think KML traveled all the time setting up for a three on the break. I think guards do it a lot by being casual way out on the perimeter. The problem is that, when these are not called so much, it seems wrong or unfair when they are called.

Reaction Score
The other Samuelson sisters both do same thing; must be the way dad taught them

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Thoughts?
She is not the only that does this. I'm not sure when this method of shooting came into vogue but I remember my wife (Quite the Basketball Player in her Day) having the same reaction you did. As with kids palming the ball all it would take is for referees to call it and you would be surprised how fast the kids adjust. I also don't think it is necessarily an advantage either, an extra step or hop gives the defender time to recover.

Reaction Score
She is not the only that does this. I'm not sure when this method of shooting came into vogue but I remember my wife (Quite the Basketball Player in her Day) having the same reaction you did. As with kids palming the ball all it would take is for referees to call it and you would be surprised how fast the kids adjust. I also don't think it is necessarily an advantage either, an extra step or hop gives the defender time to recover.

I agree. I think it signals your intentions to the defense. If she hops, she shoots. Normally I would think they will coach that out of her next summer. I think she can continue to get away with it because she is 6-3" with long arms and a quick release.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Lou's hop is just like Mel Thomas used to do. And perfectly legal, unlike the way Charde used to shuffle her feet before driving to the hoop.

Reaction Score
I disagree that she hasn't established a pivot foot. It is virtually impossible for both feet to leave the ground at exactly the same times, so as soon as she leaves the ground to initiate the hopping motion she has established a pivot foot with whichever foot leaves the ground last, even if it is just a fraction of a second behind.

I have a feeling some ref is going to challenge this down the road.

I didn't see any of the shots in question. Having said that, the rules specifically say that is is legal to catch the ball in midair, land on one foot, jump off that foot and then land with both feet - without it being a traveling violation. At that point you can shoot or pass, but you no longer have a pivot foot. Sounds like that may be what she's doing.

Similarly, it is legal to catch a pass with one foot on the ground, jump, and then land on both feet - again without it being a traveling violation. Again if you do that, you no longer have a pivot foot - but you can jump to shoot or pass.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou's hop is just like Mel Thomas used to do. And perfectly legal, unlike the way Charde used to shuffle her feet before driving to the hoop.
I too was thinking that Lou's footwork was like Mel's.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I didn't see any of the shots in question. Having said that, the rules specifically say that is is legal to catch the ball in midair, land on one foot, jump off that foot and then land with both feet - without it being a traveling violation. At that point you can shoot or pass, but you no longer have a pivot foot. Sounds like that may be what she's doing.

Similarly, it is legal to catch a pass with one foot on the ground, jump, and then land on both feet - again without it being a traveling violation. Again if you do that, you no longer have a pivot foot - but you can jump to shoot or pass.

This is not what she does. She catches the ball while standing still, she hops as if to gain leg strength, then hops a second time to release the shot. I'm certain two hops after catching the ball is not legal.

Reaction Score

The Mel Thomas to whom you refer Kib (may I call you Kib?) is of blessed memory. Thomas wrote a memoir called "The Heart of a Husky." It's a high-energy, rah-rah book--a personification of Mel herself. What it lacks in literary merit, it makes up for in enthusiasm for the joy of sport and the pride of playing for UConn.

Reaction Score

The Mel Thomas to whom you refer Kib (may I call you Kib?) is of blessed memory. Thomas wrote a memoir called "The Heart of a Husky." It's a high-energy, rah-rah book--a personification of Mel herself. What it lacks in literary merit, it makes up for in enthusiasm for the joy of sport and the pride of playing for UConn.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Hard to think about anything given the picture of Kim. The photo really captures the energy and passion of one of the better coaches in wcbb. It also pays tribute to her fantastic fashion sense. I do wonder, though, why she needs 9" heels when she spends so much time in a crouch.

Reaction Score
This is not what she does. She catches the ball while standing still, she hops as if to gain leg strength, then hops a second time to release the shot. I'm certain two hops after catching the ball is not legal.

If she catches the ball with only one foot on the ground the first time, then what you describe is legal. If two feet are on the ground initially, then it is not legal. I will have to go back and watch film at some point, but I'd bet only one foot is on the ground on the initial catch.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No it's ok, I've went back and looked at some of her mix tapes. It's basically a jump stop straight into her shot. It's a rhythm thing. She'll have no problem from refs with that.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No it's ok, I've went back and looked at some of her mix tapes. It's basically a jump stop straight into her shot. It's a rhythm thing. She'll have no problem from refs with that.

Does she jump, catch the ball in the air, then jump again to release her shot? To me it looks as if she is standing on the ground to catch the pass, hopping in place, then jumping to shoot.

I will have to record the next game and play it back in slow motion. It may be an optical illusion.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
You can see it at about the :40 mark. She goes off one foot to catch, does basically a jump stop, then shoots. Totally legal, and I've seen a lot of women shoot this way. I've never seen it called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom