Kiffin Fired | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kiffin Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
W. State lost to Auburn by 7 and they are (3-2). They will be a competitive team in the Pac-12 this year. I promise you UCONN will get smashed by USC and W. State

We just go smashed by Buffalo. Not breaking news there. W. State got drilled at home last night albeit by a terrific Stanford team. I was talking about how conservative Kiffin was with a bunch of four and five star athletes all over the field.

Reaction Score
Id rather have Jim Tressel than Lane Kiffin. And I think tressel is a bad guy.

Neither will ever coach at Uconn.
I'm not sure Uconn is going to invest anything into the football program. If they think there is a chance of conference expansion, then maybe they will try to hire a big name coach to garner some respect. I think when you eventually see them name some coordinator from a mid-level program, you know what they think about the future of the program.

But first, please get the old guys out

They just spent like $2M on a new scoreboard.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
ENough with asking for Kiffin. The larger point of this news is that a major CFB program no longer accepted losing and mediocrity and fired their coach. If UConn wants to be seen as taking college football at their school seriously, they will fire PP ASAP. No need to make a hire for this year, just promote a coordinator. However, firing PP will show that we don't accept losing and we are committed to making football a priority like bball is. This is not just essential for saving the fan base but for saving face in the Conference Realignment world as well. Keeping PP would be a slap in the face to everyone involved with this program, fans, players, and donors.

Reaction Score
ENough with asking for Kiffin. The larger point of this news is that a major CFB program no longer accepted losing and mediocrity and fired their coach. If UConn wants to be seen as taking college football at their school seriously, they will fire PP ASAP. No need to make a hire for this year, just promote a coordinator. However, firing PP will show that we don't accept losing and we are committed to making football a priority like bball is. This is not just essential for saving the fan base but for saving face in the Conference Realignment world as well. Keeping PP would be a slap in the face to everyone involved with this program, fans, players, and donors.

You are right on! When it is now so obvious, not just to the insiders and fans, but to the entire college football world, how can you stand by and NOT fire PP and GDL?? USC made a bad hire in Kiffin and they've decided to cut their losses short. Our losses are even worse...we cannot stand by now, waiting for the end of the season to arrive and expect to have anyone's respect in the college football world!

Reaction Score
Why not....get him now and see if he can steal some of USC's recruits

That ain't happening, one of the reasons he was let go was because USC's recruiting class isn't even in the top 40. From what the analysts are saying, that was the straw that broke the camels back!

Reaction Score
That ain't happening, one of the reasons he was let go was because USC's recruiting class isn't even in the top 40. From what the analysts are saying, that was the straw that broke the camels back!

Could it have been partially due to the NCAA sanctions against USC?

Reaction Score
Iagree, Lane Kiffin is a big name. He under-performed at Tennessee and USC, but those teams compete in the SEC and Pac-12 that are power conferences. He can definitely recruit and i'm sure he can have this team in the top of the American conference year in and year out.

Under performed? No, he performed exactly as he would at any level. The guy isn't cut out to be a head coach and is going to struggle wherever he is at.

Reaction Score
But there is one upside to Kiffin -

Layla comes with him. Should see an increase in booster club memberships just to spend time with her.

clubhousecancer.jpg

Reaction Score
Iagree, Lane Kiffin is a big name. He under-performed at Tennessee and USC, but those teams compete in the SEC and Pac-12 that are power conferences. He can definitely recruit and i'm sure he can have this team in the top of the American conference year in and year out.

You're endorsing an underperformer to take us down to the next level, if there is one.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Kiffin had the 53-scholarship restriction his entire time at USC, or was it just for a short period? I'm too lazy to look it up, but that does factor a little bit into depth, for what it's worth...

Reaction Score
The Layla photos knocked me off my route here, but. . . . . check out this twitter timeline of USC beat writer (LA Daily News). If Warde/Sue needed a primer here it is

https://twitter.com/InsideUSC

Reaction Score
Id rather have Jim Tressel than Lane Kiffin. And I think tressel is a bad guy.

Neither will ever coach at Uconn.
I'm not sure Uconn is going to invest anything into the football program. If they think there is a chance of conference expansion, then maybe they will try to hire a big name coach to garner some respect. I think when you eventually see them name some coordinator from a mid-level program, you know what they think about the future of the program.

But first, please get the old guys out

Agreed. Tressel is 10 times the coach Kiffin is. He has won everywhere he has been, including a head coaching stint at Youngstown State. Kiffin has done nothing but ride his father's coat tails into coaching.

Reaction Score
But there is one upside to Kiffin -

Layla comes with him. Should see an increase in booster club memberships just to spend time with her.

clubhousecancer.jpg

The little shaver in the ball cap is getting an eyeful. Bet he loves going to football games.

Reaction Score
I heard Warde was at his desk when the news of the Kiffin firing came across the wire. He had to ask his secretary to go get him another towel to wipe the sweat off his forehead. The pressure must be tremendous. The clock is ticking.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Stop with Kiffin, just stop. In other news, if WM can't or won't do the obvious then he should go too, and probably should go first.

Herbst should be asking him for a plan with potential names and budget numbers. If he doesn't have this information available on demand then he hasn't been doing his job and should be fired so that we can hire an AD that will be able to pick his coach. Our next coach deserves a stable AD. If WM is going to continue to be the guy, then fire P this morning name whomever as interim and go get your guy.

The one hiccup I see is determining how large a long term financial committment the University can handle given the reduced TV contract and AAC wasteland. If we have a strong sense of a BIG invite (I don't think Delany would do that) then blow out the remainder of the BE exit fee money. If not, we need to find an under the radar guy. It really sucks that this program is always operating with one arm tied down from the transition to 1-A to the collapse of the BE, to Edsall's midnight departure to Hathaway's incompetence, to P's hire, to the collapse of the BE again, to the shhitty TV deal, to CR oblivion.

The only consolation is that Cincy seems to handle this OK, so it is do-able. And, we have better resources than Cincy.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
While I have zero interest in hiring Lane Kiffin mid-season (I think we can do MUCH better in the offseason), I think the whole theory of "you can't fire a coach mid-season" has officially been debunked. 3-2 this year and a four year record of 28-15 and he is still fired after a blowout loss to a program that USC usually manhandles. C'MON WARDE...what are you waiting for?!?!?!

Reaction Score
He's 28-14 at USC which isn't that bad, but when your USC 28-14 is not good enough... I wouldn't mind Kiffin
I dont think he got fired because "...28-14 is not good enough". I think he got fired because the administration saw the direction he was taking the program and decided it would be in the best interests of the program to not go there. The administration was being pre-emptive. As opposed to UCONN where, well....you see the difference.

Reaction Score
He's 28-14 at USC which isn't that bad, but when your USC 28-14 is not good enough... I wouldn't mind Kiffin

I am not interested in hiring Kiffin as he is a blowhard and annoying egoist. I would be intersted in knowing if any of his assistants on the team are worthy of discussion.

Reaction Score
The Layla photos knocked me off my route here, but. . . . . check out this twitter timeline of USC beat writer (LA Daily News). If Warde/Sue needed a primer here it is

https://twitter.com/InsideUSC

Well Gee.....Maybe we can get Jack Del Rio if he really wants to start from scratch he could be a great candidate. He would turn us around and we could go to the next conference. this is all wishful thinking because we are off the radar for anything right now.

Reaction Score
Well Gee.....Maybe we can get Jack Del Rio if he really wants to start from scratch he could be a great candidate. He would turn us around and we could go to the next conference. this is all wishful thinking because we are off the radar for anything right now.

The point of posting the writer's twitter timeline was not to see who they were bringing in to replace Kiffin, it was interesting to see the logistics of how they got rid of him (meeting in 3rd quarter, fire him at airport, etc, etc) Was hoping to see a repeat of that here but I guess "important" people in Storrs aren't working today

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kiffin has been a lightning rod everywhere he's been. We don't need a volatile retread with no ties to the East.

What we do need, desperately is an football coach, preferably one with a pulse, so he's got that going for him.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hell, if Kiffen lets me have his wife for an evening I'll hire him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom