Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 713 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Since this Key Tweet thread has morphed into a bit of a free for all, I wonder what everyone here makes of E. Gordon Gee stepping down at West Virginia. He seems to have badly mismanaged the budget and they are in a deep deep hole. I saw that they heavily subsidize their athletics still, and now the whole university is slashing and burning. On the way out, Gee eliminated entire big departments.

Here is a UConn history professor with thoughts on Gee and also on the WSJ article about colleges and spending:

It sounds like he's saying that after the bump in spending on liabilities and athletic facilities, the budget will return to previous years, but it in no way will match the state subsidy. He believes that the state legislature is primed to allow huge tuition hikes at UConn. At some point here, the school is going to get squeezed. And that's where the E. Gordon Gee comparison comes.

This is why you can only say something like, "The state covers the athletic subsidy" in a vacuum.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
But what about the stat just posted: the last great Nebraska teams of the early 90s had 6 Texas players on the roster.

In other words, Nebraska needed only 6 Texas kids (I don't even know who they were) to become the best team in football.
I concede defeat (I’m not going to look at 20 years of Nebraska rosters). No one needs texas HS football recruits. Even the current admin and Matt Rhule are wrong- they don’t need them. SMU is in discussion because it has cool colors.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Since this Key Tweet thread has morphed into a bit of a free for all, I wonder what everyone here makes of E. Gordon Gee stepping down at West Virginia. He seems to have badly mismanaged the budget and they are in a deep deep hole. I saw that they heavily subsidize their athletics still, and now the whole university is slashing and burning. On the way out, Gee eliminated entire big departments.

Here is a UConn history professor with thoughts on Gee and also on the WSJ article about colleges and spending:

It sounds like he's saying that after the bump in spending on liabilities and athletic facilities, the budget will return to previous years, but it in no way will match the state subsidy. He believes that the state legislature is primed to allow huge tuition hikes at UConn. At some point here, the school is going to get squeezed. And that's where the E. Gordon Gee comparison comes.

This is why you can only say something like, "The state covers the athletic subsidy" in a vacuum.

Perhaps, but since the University doesn't cover the academic side of expenses from tuition, you can comfortably say that the university isn't footing the bill, since ultimately that money comes from the state.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but since the University doesn't cover the academic side of expenses from tuition, you can comfortably say that the university isn't footing the bill, since ultimately that money comes from the state.
Until the state subsidy recedes to PSU levels, and then, like PSU, UConn won't even have to accede to information requests on the grounds it isn't even a public entity.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Until the state subsidy recedes to PSU levels, and then, like PSU, UConn won't even have to accede to information requests on the grounds it isn't even a public entity.
That seems unlikely.

Reaction Score
Interview with Washington State AD Pat Chun if anyone wants to listen: Where will WSU go? AD Pat Chun on plan after Pac-12

Our AD should be out there doing some marketing as well.
Did you not read the long article posted yesterday?

Dave should not be out there begging right now. That's not promoting our brand. Wazzu is begging because they're on a sinking ship. We are not.

These kinds of out of context "UConn should do X" arguments do not help anything.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The TV money would have been nice for however long the Big 12 gets it, but the Big 12 is not the best option for UConn in a streaming world. Who is going to subscribe to Cincinnati vs ASU vs Texas Tech vs Colorado?

I get that getting a piece of a winning lottery ticket is fun, but counting on winning the lottery twice is a bad strategy. The Big 12 is a collection of misfits that happened to be asking ESPN for a check at exactly the moment ESPN was desperate for inventory. I expect the knives to come out among the members in a few years when the linear money isn’t there and no one cares about this hodgepodge of a schedule for streaming.

This board needs to stop its whining. The Big 12 was never going to be a program savior.

Reaction Score
The TV money would have been nice for however long the Big 12 gets it, but the Big 12 is not the best option for UConn in a streaming world. Who is going to subscribe to Cincinnati vs ASU vs Texas Tech vs Colorado?

I get that getting a piece of a winning lottery ticket is fun, but counting on winning the lottery twice is a bad strategy. The Big 12 is a collection of misfits that happened to be asking ESPN for a check at exactly the moment ESPN was desperate for inventory. I expect the knives to come out among the members in a few years when the linear money isn’t there and no one cares about this hodgepodge of a schedule for streaming.

This board needs to stop its whining. The Big 12 was never going to be a program savior.
The Big12/Yormark were not due a new contract before the PAC12. That was Yormark's genius. Convincing them to cut the line on the PAC and grabbing the last lifeboat of network money. Visionary type stuff.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
What the hell is a PAC asset?
The network was fully owned by the PAC. The tournament credits, maybe? The headquarters building? The supply of designer coffee and really expensive, gold laced toilet paper? It’s one of the WV Twitterati so who knows what’s he’s talking about?

Reactions: DGB

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big12/Yormark were not due a new contract before the PAC12. That was Yormark's genius. Convincing them to cut the line on the PAC and grabbing the last lifeboat of network money. Visionary type stuff.

It was the last lifeboat from the standpoint that ESPN offered 2 leagues, the PAC 12 and Big 12, virtually the same deal, and whichever league took it was going to buy the other one with ESPN’s and Fox’s money. At the end of the day, most of the PAC 12 is going to find a home.

As I said, the Big 12 just happened to have their hand out when ESPN was willing to write a big check.

Reaction Score
It was the last lifeboat from the standpoint that ESPN offered 2 leagues, the PAC 12 and Big 12, virtually the same deal, and whichever league took it was going to buy the other one with ESPN’s and Fox’s money. At the end of the day, most of the PAC 12 is going to find a home.

As I said, the Big 12 just happened to have their hand out when ESPN was willing to write a big check.
Yeah, but it was brilliant to look to negotiate before the PAC more importantly, he got his presidents to accept a reasonable offer while Kliavkoff let his presidents send him back to ask for 20 million more per school per year. That's an insane negotiating tactic. One commissioner got his presidents to be reasonable and one allowed his to be delusional. That's the real difference. It wasn't random luck.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah, but it was brilliant to look to negotiate before the PAC more importantly, he got his presidents to accept a reasonable offer while Kliavkoff let his presidents send him back to ask for 20 million more per school per year. That's an insane negotiating tactic. One commissioner got his presidents to be reasonable and one allowed his to be delusional. That's the real difference. It wasn't random luck.

The guy who picks the winning lottery numbers is brilliant for picking those numbers. It doesn’t mean he is going to win the lottery again.

Reaction Score
GoKU had us at 14, but Greg Flugar always said that we were behind Arizona, Arizona State and Utah. Greg also indicated that there was legitimate interest by Yormark. The disconnect with the order of priority schools is what confused me. Greg and GoKU have different sources. Perhaps what Yormark wanted differed from the presidents.
Seems like everything points to Az St and Utah being off the board until Wash and Ore left. That's how we were 14.

Couple of years ago I bought a car. The brand was my third choice behind a new Rolls Royce and a used Rolls Royce. Turned out nobody would sell me a Rolls for the money I had available so I went with door #3.

Reaction Score
Still think the best way forward is the below:

Stanford
Cal
Oregon State
Washington State
San Diego State
UNLV
Colorado State
Gonzaga
Saint Mary's
Loyola Marymount
Santa Clara
UConn (football only)
Army/Navy (football only)

Good Olympic sports, academics and eastern football presence.

Reaction Score
What the hell is a PAC asset?
Canzano said:

The Pac-4 members may attempt to keep an imbalanced share of conference revenue in the next year. The conference expects to receive $420 million in television and postseason funds.

There’s also an “emergency fund” that had more than $40 million in it before the pandemic hit in 2020.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom