Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 715 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I wonder if Stanford and Cal are really doing this. Trev Alberts said the quiet part out loud. The end of cable bundling is going to change the business completely. If they aren't in this round of TV deals, then they missed the boat. There is going to be another round of realignment that will probably look a lot different than this one did. I personally think that the first group that starts building subscriptions, wins the next round. Or everyone could just keep chasing scraps of TV deals and see where that gets them.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I wonder if Stanford and Cal are really doing this. Trev Alberts said the quiet part out loud. The end of cable bundling is going to change the business completely. If they aren't in this round of TV deals, then they missed the boat. There is going to be another round of realignment that will probably look a lot different than this one did. I personally think that the first group that starts building subscriptions, wins the next round. Or everyone could just keep chasing scraps of TV deals and see where that gets them.
The group that had the most leverage to get the most base pay will win the next round.

Reaction Score
Where will this base pay come from? Underpants Gnomes?
The same place it does now: subscribers. Whether they are cable or streaming doesn't really matter. Money is money. Where it comes from who cares? The dollar amounts will look a bit different without that guaranteed cable carriage cashflow, but the conferences and schools with the big alumni bases that dutifully tune in to watch the games and don't make plans for Saturdays in the fall will ultimately bring in the most money. The same way it has always been.

Reaction Score
Sadly, I am a New York Jets fan. If I believed the media, and I actually chose to, I was convinced Dalvin Cook was going to sign with Jets when he visited Sunday. Turns out he left without a deal. Why? Because he was trying to use them as levarage for a better deal with the Dolphins. He never intended to sign. So many on here and on twitter are saying Yormark is playing the Pac 12. Maybe its the other way around. Maybe the Pac 12 is Dalvin Cook and Yormark and Big 12 are the New York Jets. Maybe they are the ones being used.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Where will this base pay come from? Underpants Gnomes?
The base pay will come from the negotiations with the service. The conferences aren’t built the same and some will have more pull than others. The SEC and Big10 (or a conference that has similar clout) will allow the streaming service to charge higher rates for streaming. To sign the conference to the service, they will want a base pay and an incentive for the streaming.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The base pay will come from the negotiations with the service. The conferences aren’t built the same and some will have more pull than others. The SEC and Big10 (or a conference that has similar clout) will allow the streaming service to charge higher rates for streaming. To sign the conference to the service, they will want a base pay and an incentive for the streaming.

Just like it worked out for TV and movies. Oh wait, exactly the opposite happened. Instead of the rich getting richer, the entire industry fragmented. But maybe college sports will buck that trend and the Big 10 and SEC will consolidate all the fans from the other schools.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Just like it worked out for TV and movies. Oh wait, exactly the opposite happened. Instead of the rich getting richer, the entire industry fragmented. But maybe college sports will buck that trend and the Big 10 and SEC will consolidate all the fans from the other schools.
Why do you think the SEC and Big10 are acquiring the most watched programs? It won’t about the casual fan, it will be about the fans of the most watched programs. Are you trying to tell me that BC will draw enough subscriptions to make production worth while? And yes, there will be some sort of crossover between the Big10 and SEC. The university presidents will have to have some way to get exposure.

Yet, there will always be some sort of linear coverage. ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and the other over the air networks will always have some role to play in our society. There has to be a way to get info to underserved parts of the country. You may not believe it, but there are large parts of the Great Lakes region that don’t have cell coverage even today. Go to the UP of Michigan and all they have is satellite TV and over the air broadcasts. Many of this people don’t have the money for satellite. There won’t be enough people to make cell coverage worth their while.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why do you think the SEC and Big10 are acquiring the most watched programs? It won’t about the casual fan, it will be about the fans of the most watched programs. Are you trying to tell me that BC will draw enough subscriptions to make production worth while? And yes, there will be some sort of crossover between the Big10 and SEC. The university presidents will have to have some way to get exposure.

Yet, there will always be some sort of linear coverage. ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and the other over the air networks will always have some role to play in our society. There has to be a way to get info to underserved parts of the country. You may not believe it, but there are large parts of the Great Lakes region that don’t have cell coverage even today. Go to the UP of Michigan and all they have is satellite TV and over the air broadcasts. Many of this people don’t have the money for satellite. There won’t be enough people to make cell coverage worth their while.

I bet there were plenty of musicians in 1999 who thought that the iPod wouldn't impact their revenue streams. I bet a lot of those actors and writers on strike thought that the linear TV gravy train would last forever too. But yeah, college sports is somehow immune from all this and everyone will send all their money to Michigan. Got it.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The same place it does now: subscribers. Whether they are cable or streaming doesn't really matter. Money is money. Where it comes from who cares? The dollar amounts will look a bit different without that guaranteed cable carriage cashflow, but the conferences and schools with the big alumni bases that dutifully tune in to watch the games and don't make plans for Saturdays in the fall will ultimately bring in the most money. The same way it has always been.
I'd add that with streaming, it's no longer a straight up football audience. Just look at when the women's team was going to be mainly on ESPN+. How many people in this state were going to pony up for the service so they could watch the women play? How many of you spent time helping your older family members or friends set up ESPN+!! I think that when it comes to streaming and demand, UConn will provide a boost. Football may not be what drives it for us but there is a large demand to watch our bball programs from our alumni and others. We will pay to watch our Huskies play.

Reaction Score
I'd add that with streaming, it's no longer a straight up football audience. Just look at when the women's team was going to be mainly on ESPN+. How many people in this state were going to pony up for the service so they could watch the women play? How many of you spent time helping your older family members or friends set up ESPN+!! I think that when it comes to streaming and demand, UConn will provide a boost. Football may not be what drives it for us but there is a large demand to watch our bball programs from our alumni and others. We will pay to watch our Huskies play.
Football can and will be a plus, in as long as the school treats it like it matters and gives it the proper resources.

Reaction Score
You can argue that UConn listing the fact that the fans didn't want to go to a streaming provider as a concern is actually one of the marks against UConn in a future state where Streaming is key (now in fairness that was some time ago). A proven UConn that brought XXX,000 views or XX,000 subs to a streaming service to support a tertiary rights product would arguably be more valuable to a streaming future, rather than making a speculative case that they would. Don't get me wrong, UConn made the right move to leave the AAC, but some of the statements justifying the move don't age well in a future where streaming is a bigger part of the value proposition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom