Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 716 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I would imagine there are some presidents enjoying giving the finger to Notre Dame’s wishes since ND refuses to join full time.

Those presidents chose them over us, they don't deserve to give the finger to Notre Dame after getting absolutely fleeced by them. I mean come on, accepting them as a member and letting them stay independent in the only sport generating significant income and the only driver of the Notre Dame brand?! They made this bed, they deserve to lie in it lol.

Reaction Score
Those presidents chose them over us, they don't deserve to give the finger to Notre Dame after getting absolutely fleeced by them. I mean come on, accepting them as a member and letting them stay independent in the only sport generating significant income and the only driver of the Notre Dame brand?! They made this bed, they deserve to lie in it lol.
Explain to me what strategy these conferences were supposed to take with ND?

No one wants to force ND to a conference , fearing that they will pick, and thus enrich, a rival.

In particular right now, probably the only thing that saves the ACC is if ND joins. Neither the BiG nor the SEC want that to happen, so they will be more than content for the Irish to stay Indy.

Reaction Score

No one wants to force ND to a conference , fearing that they will pick, and thus enrich, a rival.

In particular right now, probably the only thing that saves the ACC is if ND joins. Neither the BiG nor the SEC want that to happen, so they will be more than content for the Irish to stay Indy.

Everyone and their mother knows ND never joins any conference in football. The only true benefit to having Notre Dame in the conference is their football. Their other programs will hardly enrich a rival. The strategy should've been join with all or enjoy independence.

Reaction Score
Everyone and their mother knows ND never joins any conference in football. The only true benefit to having Notre Dame in the conference is their football. Their other programs will hardly enrich a rival. The strategy should've been join with all or enjoy independence.
to be fair, ND is really 5/8's or so a conference member because it must play ACC schools. That is not "independent." worse still, the ACC let ND join the football conference for 1 season, 2020. The ACC is dancing with the devil.

Reaction Score
You can argue that UConn listing the fact that the fans didn't want to go to a streaming provider as a concern is actually one of the marks against UConn in a future state where Streaming is key (now in fairness that was some time ago). A proven UConn that brought XXX,000 views or XX,000 subs to a streaming service to support a tertiary rights product would arguably be more valuable to a streaming future, rather than making a speculative case that they would. Don't get me wrong, UConn made the right move to leave the AAC, but some of the statements justifying the move don't age well in a future where streaming is a bigger part of the value proposition.
Streaming issue was the fact that Espn+ isn’t ripe. The Espn+ platform is atrocious user experience.

And, the money wasn’t here and for some sports UConn was on the hook for production value.

Reaction Score

The way to force their hand is don't provide them a home for their olympic sports. The idea that someone has to or they will pick someone else for football is self defeating. They got that arrangement from the Big East and dropped the BE for the ACC in a NY minute. At 47, I'm old enough to remember ND with Digger Phelps and Depaul with Joey Meyer as BB independents. They were in rough shape. If the ACC eventually implodes it will be interesting who will be next to grab their ankles for them.

Reaction Score

No idea why Notre Dame gets to walk over it’s league mates. Unless you love the part-then relationship, what’s the point?

They don’t add value to acc imo.

Reaction Score
to be fair, ND is really 5/8's or so a conference member because it must play ACC schools. That is not "independent." worse still, the ACC let ND join the football conference for 1 season, 2020. The ACC is dancing with the devil.

The ACC is the guy that's crushing on the cheerleader who never gave him the time of day but somehow didn't have a date to homecoming so she had to ask him. But instead of having self-respect and knowing she won't even acknowledge his existence starting the moment the dance is over, he says yes, hoping that won't happen. And yet

And just gonna get ahead of the "a little specific there guy you ok?" comments: a) I don't swing that way and b) I went to all my school dances happily stag haha

Reaction Score
The way to force their hand is don't provide them a home for their olympic sports. The idea that someone has to or they will pick someone else for football is self defeating. They got that arrangement from the Big East and dropped the BE for the ACC in a NY minute. .
Thus proving my point. The ACC is not going to force ND to choose. If they do, they know ND will bail on them. Does that help the ACC? Hell no.

So tell me again why the ACC is going to give ND an ultimatum?

Reaction Score
Streaming issue was the fact that Espn+ isn’t ripe. The Espn+ platform is atrocious user experience.

And, the money wasn’t here and for some sports UConn was on the hook for production value.
ESPN+ is a good experience IF you have the right cable system. I have Xfinity and Spectrum and ESPN+ is great on Xfinity and terrible on Spectrum.

In case anyone didn't notice, all of the recent conference media deals include a streaming component.

Reaction Score
Thus proving my point. The ACC is not going to force ND to choose. If they do, they know ND will bail on them. Does that help the ACC? Hell no.

It comes down to money. Always does.
The value proposition right now suggests ND with its scheduling is better than without.

Pushing on ND could force their hand and push them to Big 10. If ACC was certain ND wasn’t going there, they could play hardball.

I guess the question is, will ND go to Big 10? History says they wouldn’t, but there’s a lot of money on table.

ND going to ACC would give that league instant credibility and easily P3 status.
Would it stop Clemson and FSU from leaving?

Reaction Score
It all depends on how much money NBC gives ND to stay independent
ND doesn’t make that much from NBC. They are independent bc the alumni demand it.

Money absolutely matters but it’s NBCs money and alumni donations that are important.

Reaction Score

The ACC can't now, but they learned nothing about ND's relationship with the Big East. ND could have single handedly saved the Big East and chose not to. They can do the same for the ACC now, and will choose not to, BUT they have cojones to push for Cal and Stanford to be accepted. If the ACC collapses loke the PAC it will be interesting to see if the Big12 is its next host.

Reaction Score
The ACC can't now, but they learned nothing about ND's relationship with the Big East. ND could have single handedly saved the Big East and chose not to. They can do the same for the ACC now, and will choose not to, BUT they have cojones to push for Cal and Stanford to be accepted. If the ACC collapses loke the PAC it will be interesting to see if the Big12 is its next host.
Jane Fonda Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think the ACC needs to do anything with Notre Dame. If, as I expect, the NIL and Transfer Portal continue to dilute talent across programs, the era of SEC dominance is coming to an end. The ACC has a long-term agreement and a fairly good roster of schools. Play it out.

Reaction Score
Who says they learned nothing ?
Again what discrete steps were they supposed to take? They’ve gotten ND FB games fir the past decade, and if ND wants to join a conference they are locked into the ACC for the next decade.

Would the ACC have been better without such a deal?

I get that no one wants ND to be independent, but the fact is that ND has skillfully played all sides so its position is quite secure.

Reaction Score
Well now that the B12 expansion seems to be done for the moment, I just gotta say that although the revenue/money and the safe spot would have been nice (I would have taken it, don’t get me wrong)- that league is just lame . I just don’t think I could have gotten into football or bball games with that bunch of midwestern/western snoozer teams.

I hope/expect we’ll find a solid home in the future. Probably some satisfying re-configuration of the ACC/BE with middling revenue until the whole system breaks and looks completely different in a far off time. Until then the only thing we can do is enjoy the BE tourney (it’s a one of a kind event worth going to) and the Indy football schedule. Also the BE is looking to be a hell of an exciting and energetic place over the next couple of years. Will be fun to be a part of.

Cheers, and let’s continue to build on our tradition.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Or football breaks off into its own conferences and UConn basketball has a good home in the Big East.

The best outcome for the next tv deal would be the Big East signs with Apple. Let’s start building a subscriber base sooner than later.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom