Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 637 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Because our football program is historically bad. I had posted about UConn's plight outside of our UConn fan echo chamber and that was the gist of it. Our football team is considered "closer to FCS level than even middling G5 level" and that it is our school's fault for "being so bad in the 2010s that they were considering almost dropping football completely." One okayish year does not change that perception.
Gonna disagree with you on the historically bad. We had a bad 10 years stretch, but we are hardly historically bad.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
one would think that with the big ten going to 18, SEC and B12 would try to follow suit, but who knows.
Hey, if the SEC really wants to rankle those other conferences by grabbing a piece of the Northeast, I have a school I could recommend. ;)

Reaction Score
So is Sacramento State. They don't have a fanbase that watches them, and they don't value athletics highly enough to really care about winning.
They are the flagship university for the largest state in the union, second best recruiting territory, and home to two top 10 markets. Im not saying they are royalty, but they’re not dregs either.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's amazing how much credence people here put on Internet tweets or news stories. The people who know are under CDA and not talking, the people who are talking are guessing. In the end things will go the way that makes financial sense, and assuming the B1G stops at Oregon and Washington, who is more valuable than UConn? Arizona, Stanford, Colorado, maybe Cal ... and no one else. UConn is way more valuable than Utah or Arizona State (as the second teams from their states), especially if the B12 foresees NCAA basketball shifting toward the football model and revenue going to the revenue producers.

GoKU is the most plausible poster because the scenario he's been describing is business-rational. Let's just wait for all the behind-the-scenes work to get done, and it will probably be a good outcome for Huskies.
He’s also been quite predictive.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I view Cal like OSU and WSU. I can't imagine that it really brings value worth $30M to anyone.
OSU at least has a good football team. Years ago Cal mattered. So did Stanford. Neither has a student body that cares about football anymore. I'm sure some alumni do.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Probably less but the amount would still be greater to those schools then they receive now and most likely significantly greater. That’s the calculation Yormark is working with.

And the media entities working with him have calculated it’s more profitable for them as well and indicated this to him when they backed his vision.

The statement by C9C9 if he is a reliable source indicated we are considered the number 1 bb brand in the number 2 sport.

UConn is to basketball what Alabama is to football.
Yeah, but sadly college basketball is to college football what UAB is to Alabama.

Reaction Score
They are the flagship university for the largest state in the union, second best recruiting territory, and home to two top 10 markets. Im not saying they are royalty, but they’re not dregs either.
I fully agree with your sentence. I respectfully fully disagree with your second. I don't think they bring anything worthy of $30M a year.

Reaction Score
Gonna disagree with you on the historically bad. We had a bad 10 years stretch, but we are hardly historically bad.
10 years is almost half the time that UConn had even been in FBS. They also set historical records (in 2018?) for how bad the defense was during that stretch as well as made people wonder if the 2021 team was the worst FBS team of all time.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Because our football program is historically bad. I had posted about UConn's plight outside of our UConn fan echo chamber and that was the gist of it. Our football team is considered "closer to FCS level than even middling G5 level" and that it is our school's fault for "being so bad in the 2010s that they were considering almost dropping football completely." One okayish year does not change that perception.

haters.jpg

Reaction Score
All of those dramatic posts this morning that made this look like it might not happen was just dramatics. The PAC schools wanted to make it look like they did everything possible to stay together. Oregon and Washington turning down a B1G invite? That's laughable.

Reaction Score
And the media entities working with him have calculated it’s more profitable for them as well and indicated this to him when they backed his vision.

The statement by C9C9 if he is a reliable source indicated we are considered the number 1 bb brand in the number 2 sport.

UConn is to basketball what Alabama is to football.
he was referring to the NYC market. And also, did not claim to be an insider.

Reaction Score
OSU at least has a good football team. Years ago Cal mattered. So did Stanford. Neither has a student body that cares about football anymore. I'm sure some alumni do.
Oregon State is historically terrible at football.

Recency bias on the internet is undefeated

Reaction Score
I don't think you can explain UW and OR being invited, even at a lower compensation rate, other than the Big Ten's historical relationship with the Pac.
Or they use different criteria in their decision making.

The only decision they’ve made that has been inconsistent was Nebraska.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

If we had a fraction of Oregon St's football track record we would have been in a P-5 more than a decade ago.

GG

Reaction Score
So if there is now even more concern that the SEC and big 10 will break away from the other conferences, doesn’t our inclusion makes sense if we follow BY’s logic? I have read that he believes the other conferences will never compete with the SEC and Big 10 in football, so it is important to have the best basketball league. By having the elite bball teams in your conference, the SEC and Big 10 cannot break away. If that is his thought process, I assume he would prioritize UCONN over Utah.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
All of those dramatic posts this morning that made this look like it might not happen was just dramatics. The PAC schools wanted to make it look like they did everything possible to stay together. Oregon and Washington turning down a B1G invite? That's laughable.

Will you shut the fudge up already?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I don't think you can explain UW and OR being invited, even at a lower compensation rate, other than the Big Ten's historical relationship with the Pac.
The only conclusion I see is that the B1G knew they would eventually add those two and saw an opportunity to add them now at a discount.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the ACC decides to add two schools to keep up with everyone else. They could offer us a half share until 2036 and we would jump at it. Potential partners would be WVU (doubtful) Tulane, SMU. ACC basketball could use a boost.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I am well aware. Stadium is smaller than the Rent too. They are being left out for a reason. Just pointing out that a school with a current top 25 team is still not getting a call.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah, but sadly college basketball is to college football what UAB is to Alabama.
3:1 ratio football:basketball in media distribution. But a good reason for that is because conferences get a reduced portion of the basketball monies. The lions share goes to the NCAA which feeds 350 schools.

Take out the NCAA, subtract most of the schools from the bb revenue and divide it up between 60 and 80 schools in the remaining power conferences. That would be a huge increase in monies to those conferences. And the number one property in basketball becomes a huge asset to the conference that that has the foresight to understand this.

DGB

Reaction Score
Nobody really knows anything here, but one thing that should be obvious is with the PAC blowing up Zona, ASU, and Utah really don't have any more leverage than UConn does. The Big 12 isn't going to take any or all of them because three teams "banded together" according to some tweet, or the Arizona board of regents says so. Where the hell else is Zona going to go if the Big 12 doesn't meet their demands of taking ASU and Utah? In order to have any leverage they needed to leave before Wash and Oregon...they didn't.

No...the Big 12 will now pick the team(s) it wants from a collection of equally desperate Zona, UConn, ASU, and Utah. I don't see how they leave the one available eastern team on the table in this scenario, but I'm biased. My guess would be:

Big 12 takes Zona, UConn, and ASU. A version of the PAC limps along with Stanford, Cal, WSU, OSU, Utah, and 3-5 teams from the MWC (this actually wouldn't be a horrible conference...but not P5/4/3/whatever).

Reaction Score
It’s still fascinating that there’s been nothing firm from ASU or Utah. Just rumors. We’re not dead until they’re official.
It's still fascinating there's been nothing firm from Arizona, let alone those, and we have multiple sources already confirming Oregon & Washington are going to the B1G

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom