Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 423 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Behind a paywall.

"UConn has deemphasized football" is a continued lazy, lazy take that most sports journalists keep putting out there. Why? This take maybe made sense in the month after the Big East move, but so much has happened since then, and it's clear AD David Benedict is looking for a permanent solution. The team went to a bowl last year. Infuriating but not surprising

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
>> Let me help ^^^

Note: Tramel has not been a UConn fan over the years (since Fiesta Bowl days)
I hate the reoccurring narrative that we "deemphasized football". We have great on-campus facilities, just hired an outstanding coach in Jim Mora, and have a 40,000 seat stadium. How is that deemphasizing football?

If the notion is that by leaving the American, an absolute s.hitshow of a conference, deemphasizes football, then would joining the big 12 reemphasize football?

Reaction Score
I hate the reoccurring narrative that we "deemphasized football". We have great on-campus facilities, just hired an outstanding coach in Jim Mora, and have a 40,000 seat stadium. How is that deemphasizing football?

If the notion is that by leaving the American, an absolute s.hitshow of a conference, deemphasizes football, then would joining the big 12 reemphasize football?
Pundits get paid to spew any thought that'll create clicks, sigh. I really don't get tied up in their opinions but draw the line and reply to said posts when they throw around inaccurate info/facts. Even that has become a part time job.

Reaction Score

Lazy journalists are lazy. They are easily manipulated. They have been manipulated into believing UConn gave up on football. They can become evangelists if fed the right information.

I'd love to see UConn put out an aggressive puff piece about the football program. Show the long history (we didn't start a team from scratch when moving to D1), the accelerated move to D1, and the unprecedented speed of success. Own the hiring of a few bad coaches and compare it to others that made the same mistakes (without naming the programs). Show how pissed off fans were because they care. Then show the rebirth and excitement while tying it in to how successful every program at UConn is. For "journalists" (I use that term lightly) that are deemed to be truly influential, get the AD in front of them with the full PR press. I guarantee these bozos will become huge fans.

Should we need to do that? No, of course not. But we've seen what happens when we let competitors form our narrative and jump in front of us.

Reaction Score
>> Let me help ^^^

Note: Tramel has not been a UConn fan over the years (since Fiesta Bowl days)
So infuriating! Why is UConn joining the B12 "inconceivable" when KU is considered a premier B12 brand yet its demo is smaller than CT, has 3 MBB NCs in the past 30 years vs 5 for UConn and has been to the same number of BCS games as UConn during the same time period (despite being in a Power Conference for decades). Yormark sees the future. He's right; a dominant basketball league with very solid football, and new teams from larger markets is the only way to try to remain remotely competitive with the P2 (that said, I can't see a basketball only school in a small demo like the Zags, being part of the equation).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So infuriating! Why is UConn joining the B12 "inconceivable" when KU is considered a premier B12 brand yet its demo is smaller than CT, has 3 MBB NCs in the past 30 years vs 5 for UConn and has been to the same number of BCS games as UConn during the same time period (despite being in a Power Conference for decades). Yormark sees the future. He's right; a dominant basketball league with very solid football, and new teams from larger markets is the only way to try to remain remotely competitive with the P2 (that said, I can't see a basketball only school in a small demo like the Zags, being part of the equation).

May AD Dave or Jim Mora can reach out to the “key” journalists and explain why the lazy narrative wrong for Football It cannot hurt. UConn AD lurkers, can you help make this happen please?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It is lazy journalism but the lazy part is in lack of imagination or vision. The conclusion many jumped to (even our then football head coach, who never got past it) was that by leaving a conference that played football for one that didn't play football we were giving up on the idea of being a football school.

They never took into account the economics of the second AAC media contract (which would have provided slightly more revenue to all other members while stripping us of the tier three revenue we were receiving on our own) or that we could build a quality schedule as an independent.

Blowing our own horn now would be a bad idea as whatever we accomplish on the football field will then be dissected and only the warts will be commented on as a means to diminish anything we may have done. We need to quietly demonstrate on the field, beginning this fall that we are on a path where we could be very competitive in a conference like the B-12.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is lazy journalism but the lazy part is in lack of imagination or vision. The conclusion many jumped to (even our then football head coach, who never got past it) was that by leaving a conference that played football for one that didn't play football we were giving up on the idea of being a football school.

They never took into account the economics of the second AAC media contract (which would have provided slightly more revenue to all other members while stripping us of the tier three revenue we were receiving on our own) or that we could build a quality schedule as an independent.

Blowing our own horn now would be a bad idea as whatever we accomplish on the football field will then be dissected and only the warts will be commented on as a means to diminish anything we may have done. We need to quietly demonstrate on the field, beginning this fall that we are on a path where we could be very competitive in a conference like the B-12.
And playing as an independent gave us flexibility in scheduling so that our home games were, at least theoretically a better product. It also put waste to the notion that "no one wants to come to Storrs." As we've seen plenty of good schools are interested in playing here.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
"UConn has deemphasized football" is a continued lazy, lazy take that most sports journalists keep putting out there. Why? This take maybe made sense in the month after the Big East move, but so much has happened since then, and it's clear AD David Benedict is looking for a permanent solution. The team went to a bowl last year. Infuriating but not surprising

It's lazy mostly. There is some truth to how UConn has manuevered its athletic dept to showcase football compared to other G5 schools like UCF, Cincy and Houston. Most athletic depts use football as the tail that wags the dog. UConn went a different route. Suggesting UConn emphasizes football as its face of the athletic dept has truth to it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
And playing as an independent gave us flexibility in scheduling so that our home games were, at least theoretically a better product. It also put waste to the notion that "no one wants to come to Storrs." As we've seen plenty of good schools are interested in playing here.
In all candor the quality of our scheduling as an independent has been far better than I could have hoped for when it was announced that we were returning to the BE.

82, you have an open invitation to any home game. It will only cost you time. I'll provide tickets and you can eat and drink at my tailgate.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is that "emphasizing" is one thing, but a consistent winning tradition is 99% of it. At the end of the day, the bottom line is you have to continually be competitive in football to get noticed, and be a candidate to move up.

Reaction Score
Pundits get paid to spew any thought that'll create clicks, sigh. I really don't get tied up in their opinions but draw the line and reply to said posts when they throw around inaccurate info/facts. Even that has become a part time job.
I'm not on twitter, but I've thought about emailing these guys, with a link to our on-campus facilities. They are P5 level. I don't think they even know about that.

Reaction Score
Lazy journalists are lazy. They are easily manipulated. They have been manipulated into believing UConn gave up on football. They can become evangelists if fed the right information.

I'd love to see UConn put out an aggressive puff piece about the football program. Show the long history (we didn't start a team from scratch when moving to D1), the accelerated move to D1, and the unprecedented speed of success. Own the hiring of a few bad coaches and compare it to others that made the same mistakes (without naming the programs). Show how pissed off fans were because they care. Then show the rebirth and excitement while tying it in to how successful every program at UConn is. For "journalists" (I use that term lightly) that are deemed to be truly influential, get the AD in front of them with the full PR press. I guarantee these bozos will become huge fans.
May AD Dave or Jim Mora can reach out to the “key” journalists and explain why the lazy narrative wrong for Football It cannot hurt. UConn AD lurkers, can you help make this happen please?
This is exactly what UConn needs to do. They need to start planting stories. The journalists have obviously read the articles about Benedict saying that it would be a difficult decision, because they've referenced them, so they would read these stories, too. Also, throw in a discussion of UConn+ and that we are ready for digital streaming or being part of a network. That UConn has P5 facilities, although most other schools and fans probably don't know it.

Lastly, UConn needs to update the athletic department website with videos of Werth, Burton, and Shenkman. There may be one video and a few photos, but they really need to showcase them.

Go back and read the stories of how Chris DelConte got TCU into the Big 12, how Tim Pernetti got Rutgers into the B1G, and Jurich got Louisville into the ACC. They didn't sit around and do nothing. They promoted their schools.

Reaction Score
This is exactly what UConn needs to do. They need to start planting stories. The journalists have obviously read the articles about Benedict saying that it would be a difficult decision, because they've referenced them, so they would read these stories, too. Also, throw in a discussion of UConn+ and that we are ready for digital streaming or being part of a network. That UConn has P5 facilities, although most other schools and fans probably don't know it.

Lastly, UConn needs to update the athletic department website with videos of Werth, Burton, and Shenkman. There may be one video and a few photos, but they really need to showcase them.

Go back and read the stories of how Chris DelConte got TCU into the Big 12, how Tim Pernetti got Rutgers into the B1G, and Jurich got Louisville into the ACC. They didn't sit around and do nothing. They promoted their schools.
You can "plant" multiple stories galore but no one is going to forget the poor quality of the football team during the 2010s and beyond until Mora showed up. This why some of us on the Boneyard were so critical of the team then while others found lots of rationalizations for the team's record. There must be accountability for the dumpster fire of a program and a clear path forward so we have conference options ahead. And when we bring up a possible on campus football stadium, we really have UConn's long-term outlook at heart.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom