Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 424 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
In all candor the quality of our scheduling as an independent has been far better than I could have hoped for when it was announced that we were returning to the BE.

82, you have an open invitation to any home game. It will only cost you time. I'll provide tickets and you can eat and drink at my tailgate.

The home schedule was always going to be a tough job and AD Dave did a very nice job the last couple years but the next three seasons are dreadful.

23: NC State, Duke, FIU, Utah State, USF, Sacred Heart

24: Army, FAU, Buffalo, Temple, Georgia State

25: Central, Ball State, FIU, UAB, UMass

Reaction Score
The home schedule was always going to be a tough job and AD Dave did a very nice job the last couple years but the next three seasons are dreadful.

23: NC State, Duke, FIU, Utah State, USF, Sacred Heart

24: Army, FAU, Buffalo, Temple, Georgia State

25: Central, Ball State, FIU, UAB, UMass
The home games this season aren't easy. UConn has NEVER beaten the Wolfpack or Aggies. Duke has been VERY competative as late. The only "guaranteed wins" are FIU, USF, & Sacred Heart, & that's only if UConn makes measurable leaps in Coach Mora's 2nd year & the team avoids the injury plague.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The home games this season aren't easy. UConn has NEVER beaten the Wolfpack or Aggies. Duke has been VERY competative as late. The only "guaranteed wins" are FIU, USF, & Sacred Heart, & that's only if UConn makes measurable leaps in Coach Mora's 2nd year & the team avoids the injury plague.

This upcoming season is certainly the most attractive schedule of the three years, but overall it's a tough slate of games to sell season tickets against - particularly when you know the athletic department will be giving seats away for free for the last couple games.

24 and 25 are just abysmal.

Reaction Score
And when we bring up a possible on campus football stadium, we really have UConn's long-term outlook at heart.

There's very little chance of development for an on campus football stadium. Rt 195 can barely handle traffic for a game at Gampel. With only 6 dates a year, Rentschler is a home that is accessible to current students and alumni when you consider an all day event that includes tailgating. The student body in Storrs isn't large enough to justify another 30-40k stadium when they already have one relatively nearby - albeit P&W Stadium will need to be upgraded prior to a first game in the B12.

Reaction Score
There's very little chance of development for an on campus football stadium. Rt 195 can barely handle traffic for a game at Gampel. With only 6 dates a year, Rentschler is a home that is accessible to current students and alumni when you consider an all day event that includes tailgating. The student body in Storrs isn't large enough to justify another 30-40k stadium when they already have one relatively nearby - albeit P&W Stadium will need to be upgraded prior to a first game in the B12.
I understand your concerns, but some day take a drive on Discovery Drive located on the UConn campus. It is a wide roadway that leads to Route 44. It has plenty of room there for a stadium and tailgating. Route 195 could be closed to all but local traffic during home games. Let the motorists use 44 to get home. The new stadium and related buildings could also be used by the new innovation partnership building and related uses that tie UConn's research with corporations. Try to keep an open mind. Let Central CT take over the Rent. It's close to their lovely campus.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Go back and read the stories of how Chris DelConte got TCU into the Big 12, how Tim Pernetti got Rutgers into the B1G
As to Rutgers, the Big Ten reached out to them and gave them specific areas to work on without promising them anything. Rutgers really didn't promote itself at all, other than responding the Big Ten request for information. It was made absolutely clear to them that if they talked about any of the discussion publicly any possibility to join the Big Ten would be lost.

( A friend of mine was aware of this as it was going on and would periodically casually allude to it. My response to that was to tell him he was delusional. As it turns out, he was aware of it in real time, but wouldn't say more. It's since been discussed publicly in several articles.)

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
This upcoming season is certainly the most attractive schedule of the three years, but overall it's a tough slate of games to sell season tickets against - particularly when you know the athletic department will be giving seats away for free for the last couple games.

24 does have a handful of northeastern schools, which is nice. The bright side is you would hope UConn can provide a combined 7-8 wins for the home fans during 24/25.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

This season is not bad. 2 ACC opponents, USF (former Big East opponent), and Utah State (competitive MW program) is a pretty solid slate. FIU and Sacred Heart don't do anything for me, but no program has six can't miss home games.

Reaction Score
This season is not bad. 2 ACC opponents, USF (former Big East opponent), and Utah State (competitive MW program) is a pretty solid slate. FIU and Sacred Heart don't do anything for me, but no program has six can't miss home games.
Away games - even if the home slate isn't great at least some of the away games are driveable. I mean, they are all drivable but 4 in the Northeast and Maryland. That's nice.

Maryland
Duke
Wake
UAB
UMass

Syracuse
Purdue
Buffalo
Army

Ohio State

Reaction Score
As to Rutgers, the Big Ten reached out to them and gave them specific areas to work on without promising them anything. Rutgers really didn't promote itself at all, other than responding the Big Ten request for information. It was made absolutely clear to them that if they talked about any of the discussion publicly any possibility to join the Big Ten would be lost.

( A friend of mine was aware of this as it was going on and would periodically casually allude to it. My response to that was to tell him he was delusional. As it turns out, he was aware of it in real time, but wouldn't say more. It's since been discussed publicly in several articles.)
According to this story, it was Rutgers who reached out to the Big Ten. Delaney told Rutgers there was less than a 10% chance that Rutgers would be added. Did Rutgers give up? No, they kept reaching out to Delaney and talking about how they could bring the NY market. Is UConn doing anything remotely like this?

"Prior to becoming Rutgers’ athletic director in 2009, Tim Pernetti reached out to Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany to ask a very bold question:

If the Big Ten expanded, would Rutgers, then a member of the Big East, get a real look?

Pernetti, a former media executive before going to work for his alma mater, knew that Rutgers held one significant advantage over every other expansion candidate — access to the New York TV market.

Delany’s response was firm and to the point. He told Pernetti that Rutgers had a single-digit percent chance of being invited to the Big Ten.

“Well, that’s good enough for me,” Pernetti replied.

Over time, Pernetti’s calls to Delany became more frequent. He’d call Delany early in the morning when the commissioner was usually on the treadmill, and talked about how Rutgers’ TV market would boost the Big Ten Network’s audience."

CL82

Reaction Score
According to this story, it was Rutgers who reached out to the Big Ten. Delaney told Rutgers there was less than a 10% chance that Rutgers would be added. Did Rutgers give up? No, they kept reaching out to Delaney and talking about how they could bring the NY market. Is UConn doing anything remotely like this?

"Prior to becoming Rutgers’ athletic director in 2009, Tim Pernetti reached out to Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany to ask a very bold question:

If the Big Ten expanded, would Rutgers, then a member of the Big East, get a real look?

Pernetti, a former media executive before going to work for his alma mater, knew that Rutgers held one significant advantage over every other expansion candidate — access to the New York TV market.

Delany’s response was firm and to the point. He told Pernetti that Rutgers had a single-digit percent chance of being invited to the Big Ten.

“Well, that’s good enough for me,” Pernetti replied.

Over time, Pernetti’s calls to Delany became more frequent. He’d call Delany early in the morning when the commissioner was usually on the treadmill, and talked about how Rutgers’ TV market would boost the Big Ten Network’s audience."

Good long article here:
Delaney remembers it differently

F22D85E0-51A1-4605-9C29-77775B531E08.jpeg

Reaction Score
And here is how DelConte got TCU into the Big 12. DelConte didn't even have an appointment with Deloss Dodds, the Texas AD, when he went there with a binder all about TCU.

Again I ask the question, "What is UConn doing?" Note the similarity between this story and the Rutgers story. In both cases, they had AD's that really pushed for their school to be added.

"The story begins 2 ½ years ago during the latest round of conference realignment. Pittsburgh and Syracuse had just announced they were leaving the Big East for the ACC. The Big East, at that point, was hanging by a thread. It was a Big East that TCU was also scheduled to join.

“Syracuse and Pitt announced they were leaving and shocked everybody ...", Del Conte said. “Mack Brown and DeLoss Dodds came out and said, ‘We’re going to stay [in the Big 12].’

“Once I heard that I said, ‘OK, boy, let’s go.’ We had two weeks to make this work.”

Del Conte admitted, “the pressure of the entire institution was on my shoulders” to join the Big 12. He worked the phones, calling every Big 12 contact he knew. Support within the Big 12 was growing, including at Oklahoma where good friend Joe Castiglione had been encouraging. But Del Conte knew if he didn’t have Texas, he didn’t have a chance.

“I’ve got one shot,” he recounted, “to go see DeLoss.”

It was a quite a visit. Del Conte grabbed a car, a driver and a bunch of reference material, binders, extolling the advantages of TCU and Fort Worth.

“I get up at 8 o’clock in the morning and drive to Darrell K. Royal Stadium. I get to [Dodds’] office. Nine comes around, 10 comes around. I’ve got a GA [graduate assistant] outside waiting for me, by the way. I tell him, ‘Just wait 10 minutes I’ll be back.’ Pretty soon it’s 3:30

“[DeLoss] comes out and says, ‘Who are you?’ Chris Del Conte, Texas Christian U. He doesn’t hear ‘Chris.’ he hears ‘Del’. ‘Del, let’s go get ourselves a drink and discuss it.’

“We went to a restaurant and had a little libation at 3:30. By the time 8:30 rolls around, we were [into it] pretty good but we got ourselves in a situation. I kept trying to give him my [binders]. He said, ‘I’ve heard enough, Del’ and just walked away.”

The Big 12 ADs had a conference call the next day.

“The next morning I got up. Joe [Castiglione] goes, ‘I don’t know what you did but it worked.’ We got the vote. The Frogs are in,’ Del Conte said.

Reaction Score
And here is Jurich working to get Louisville into the ACC. Note the sense of urgency on the part of the AD, just like in the case of TCU and Rutgers. Also, Jurich canceled his trip to the Bahamas; Warde Manuel and Susan Herbst did not cancel their trip.

"Then, on the morning of Nov. 17, Jurich learned that Rutgers and Maryland were expected to join the Big Ten. Suddenly, the situation became more urgent, the opportunity more realistic.

Jurich canceled his trip to the Bahamas, where Louisville's basketball team was playing in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, and he combed through the contact list he had gathered over 24 years as an athletic director.

He made progress with with Florida State athletics director Randy Spetman, whom he had befriended when Spetman was at Air Force and Jurich was at Colorado State. He found an ally in Syracuse athletics director Daryl Gross, a fellow Big East AD who had navigated through realignment just one year earlier.

Ramsey, who was an economics professor at the University of North Carolina, said his connection to the university helped, too. Still, they had to convince the ACC that Louisville was a better option than Connecticut, which seemed to have the advantage in academics, geography and market size.

"We were definitely the underdogs," Jurich said. "People had UConn not penciled in, but penned in."

CL82

Reaction Score
And here is Jurich working to get Louisville into the ACC. Note the sense of urgency on the part of the AD, just like in the case of TCU and Rutgers. Also, Jurich canceled his trip to the Bahamas; Warde Manuel and Susan Herbst did not cancel their trip.

"Then, on the morning of Nov. 17, Jurich learned that Rutgers and Maryland were expected to join the Big Ten. Suddenly, the situation became more urgent, the opportunity more realistic.

Jurich canceled his trip to the Bahamas, where Louisville's basketball team was playing in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, and he combed through the contact list he had gathered over 24 years as an athletic director.

He made progress with with Florida State athletics director Randy Spetman, whom he had befriended when Spetman was at Air Force and Jurich was at Colorado State. He found an ally in Syracuse athletics director Daryl Gross, a fellow Big East AD who had navigated through realignment just one year earlier.

Ramsey, who was an economics professor at the University of North Carolina, said his connection to the university helped, too. Still, they had to convince the ACC that Louisville was a better option than Connecticut, which seemed to have the advantage in academics, geography and market size.

"We were definitely the underdogs," Jurich said. "People had UConn not penciled in, but penned in."

It was a bad look for Susan and Warde, no doubt about it, but Jurich's victory lap notwithstanding, I wonder how much of it was based upon FSU's desire to flex it's muscles against Tobacco Road. Still, one wonders whether things would've been different if we were plugging away instead of sipping piña coladas.

The Pina Colada Song (UConn version)*

I am tired of our conference, I mean it does kind of suck.
But I don't see a way out, without a whole lotta luck.
How did we get here, when were really hot?
I thought back on how Louisville got the last P5 spot:

Warde had Pina Coladas, while watching girl's basketball.
He did not do any lobbying which is what caused us to fall.
If you like being in a real conference, with teams that you've known for years,
Don't trust the fan of the donuts or you'll end up in tears.

Now I don't blame Suzy, I know it sounds kind of mean,
But I expect that a "rock star" would have known the routine.
Nothing is given, to those who sit back and wait.
And when you think where the blame lies, it's not up for debate...

Warde had Pina Coladas, while watching girl's basketball.
He should have been working, but he was dropping the ball.
So now we're stuck playing Tulsa and likely will be for years.
We trusted the fan of the donuts and it ended in tears.

* Written during the dark days of our membership in the AAC.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One significant issue that we've had for longer than the four and a half decades that I've followed the school and it's athletic programs is that every time we show a little ambition people on the state's government, residents of the state, members of the school's administration and members of the BOT start getting very nervous. We fight ourselves as much as we compete with others in attempts to improve the school.

Reaction Score
One significant issue that we've had for longer than the four and a half decades that I've followed the school and it's athletic programs is that every time we show a little ambition people on the state's government, residents of the state, members of the school's administration and members of the BOT start getting very nervous. We fight ourselves as much as we compete with others in attempts to improve the school.
That's why A.D. Dave has to act with stealth: publicly saying nothing & moving mountains behind the scenes in concert with President Radenka...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
We need help in the back room deals department.

Shalala wouldn’t even take Herbst’s phone call back in the day. They even tried to reach her through Bill Clinton’s office.
Yup. I believe Calhoun called Clinton personally to see if he could persuade Shalala take the call but she wouldn’t budge. Probably one of the strangest moments in our conference realignment saga.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom