Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 674 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Don't get mad or upset at me for saying this about UCONN football but I am from the West Coast. I know a ton about your basketball history and respect it immensely but I did not know out West here that UCONN had a football team. Never thought about it because I thought you were sort of like Gonzaga with no football program. Never seen your football team on tv on the west coast so maybe that was the reason. TSometimes the one name anyone mentions " in the wilderness out here" from your general area is Boston College all because of Doug Flutie winning the Heisman. Most people on the streets here see you all basketball 24-7. Just win in football will get you there.
We get it - fyi, your BC reference is from about 40 years ago.

Reaction Score
Yep as we saw in the old Big East, when that PC loser Marrinato got played by turning down that $1 billion TV deal ($13 Mil each for BB & FB schools IIRC). Networks can easilly go into destroy mode and would rather overpay for a few priority schools, so they can destroy and lowball what's left. Who from the Big East would turn down a $10-15 mil paycheck, when the next Big East media contract is talking about streaming on Apple for $4-5 mil.... see the UCLA & USC / PAC 12 effect.
Every big east school bar Creighton and DePaul would reject a B12 offer. GT, Nova, St Johns are schools built on tradition. Leaving the BE would piss of their alumni base and donors, costing them more than the extra theoretical revenue they would get from the B12.

Reaction Score
To block the Big 12 from the northeast. Phillips even said some expansion could be done to block another conference. The Big 12 can't add 17 and 18 without a new media partner.
I’m glad you’ve posted again. In the future the simple thing to do is “ignore” the posters you don’t like. They won’t see you and vice versa.

I’ll confess I would prefer the ACC, but how legit is their threat to BY’s plan? source credibility?

Reaction Score
You screwed up with that one. USF is Temple South, its window closed a while ago. (You being the KU guy).
I view Temple in much higher regard than USF. Maybe it’s just the direction in the school name for me, but I can’t take those schools seriously. Big reason why UCF in the Big 12 is so baffling to me.

Reaction Score
Every big east school bar Creighton and DePaul would reject a B12 offer. GT, Nova, St Johns are schools built on tradition. Leaving the BE would piss of their alumni base and donors, costing them more than the extra theoretical revenue they would get from the B12.
The BE is perfect for small, Catholic basketball centric schools. Why wouldn't they like it?

Reaction Score
I understand. But the ACC had never shown anything but contempt for UConn and USF. Yormark is playing chess and Phillips is playing tiddlily winks.

Who would be the new partner? Apple which just helped sink the Pac-12 with a take it or leave it low ball offer? The CW?
I have no idea. But I am assuming 17 and 18 will come in at a reduced amount. The B1G might need another media partner also, so maybe Amazon would take some content from both.

DGB

Reaction Score
UConn is not in control here. They cannot only look to themselves. Stop being an embarrassment in football would be a start. Keep winning in basketball.

Oh and also not throwing temper tantrums and closing one of the few remaining doors. If Yormack does raid the Big East and UConn has closed that door, then it is worse than after the Big East Catholic schools left the old Big East.
UConn has options here. The school just has to think a little more out of the box.

If UConn has truly been left out here, it is because UConn is currently G5. But not because of the stigma that comes with that...football or otherwise. No, the problem with UConn being G5 in realignment is Fox has UConn for pennies. I get that some have pointed out that whatever Fox were to pay UConn in the Big 12 could be mitigated by offering the big east less money in the next contract...but they're going to offer the big east less anyways, and honestly the big east without UConn inventory isn't really worth anything. Fox would be killing their 6:30 bball time slot for nothing.

This problem is kind of unique to UConn among its current and former G5 brethren, because UConn is actually a draw to a bball conference in a way, for example, Cinci, Houston, UCF and BYU could never be. BYU cold have mattered to somebody in football...but they went independent. Being a valuable G5 draw is the worst thing you can be in this game because the networks like you right where you are. And folks...that's where UConn lives and will likely continue to live unless something changes.

One option UConn has would be to start making noise about Apple. It doesn't have to be a tantrum like FSU has thrown. Just let it be known that the big east has the defending national champion and bball program of the past quarter century. UConn is committed to the big east...loves the big east...but not at the pennies it is currently getting from the networks. Streaming is the future, and UConn wants streaming in the next contract, with additional pay for its football program.

None of this has to even be true. It just needs to be out there. Fox and the B1G sure as sh#t reacted to the PAC getting a deal from Apple, and the possibility of seeing their Oregon and Washington live there for the next six years...whether Oregon and Washington were going to sign that crappy contract or not. My guess is they would do the same with UConn if the possibility became real that they could lose them to streaming altogether.

Reaction Score
The best thing UConn can do right now is to keep supporting coach Mora with all the resources he needs in order to build up UConn football. This means getting more money for the coaches and really build up the NIL fund.

Perception can change overnight if we win more football games against big opponents.
Given how much the public at large ignores UConn football, they do not realize that last season's "success" was accomplished with a slew of injuries.

This would be a great time for a solid, healthy season where UConn wins the games they should and looks like they can compete with the better (mostly ACC) opposition.

Not a huge ask if healthy.

Reaction Score
100%
I think he's fine. They never dreamed they would get everything they got plus the rest of the plan is still in play. The only reason they are holding off is the possibility if the ACC imploding and them getting even stronger. There us nothing the ACC can do to keep up at this point.

Reaction Score
UCF & USF are drenched in new money, cutting every possible corner, and in the fastest growing areas. Ethics and morals get no play down here. They have turned college into a volume business and its remarkable seeing the growth. Quality of education is not discussed much down here.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'll agree with this. Of all that KU has posted here, the USF thing seems absurd.
USF and UConn to the ACC is absurd but those two to the B12 isn’t.

Who else in the east can be added to UConn if Yormack wants to increase the eastern influence and doesn’t want to wait until 2036 for the ACC to break up?

Reaction Score
Still, L'Ville still gets credit for Johnny Unitas and he was 70 years ago.
Yale gets credit for Amos Alonzo Stagg and Cornell gets credit for Pop Warner. - I thought we are in the "what have you done for me lately" world...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn has options here. The school just has to think a little more out of the box.

If UConn has truly been left out here, it is because UConn is currently G5. But not because of the stigma that comes with that...football or otherwise. No, the problem with UConn being G5 in realignment is Fox has UConn for pennies. I get that some have pointed out that whatever Fox were to pay UConn in the Big 12 could be mitigated by offering the big east less money in the next contract...but they're going to offer the big east less anyways, and honestly the big east without UConn inventory isn't really worth anything. Fox would be killing their 6:30 bball time slot for nothing.

This problem is kind of unique to UConn among its current and former G5 brethren, because UConn is actually a draw to a bball conference in a way, for example, Cinci, Houston, UCF and BYU could never be. BYU cold have mattered to somebody in football...but they went independent. Being a valuable G5 draw is the worst thing you can be in this game because the networks like you right where you are. And folks...that's where UConn lives and will likely continue to live unless something changes.

One option UConn has would be to start making noise about Apple. It doesn't have to be a tantrum like FSU has thrown. Just let it be known that the big east has the defending national champion and bball program of the past quarter century. UConn is committed to the big east...loves the big east...but not at the pennies it is currently getting from the networks. Streaming is the future, and UConn wants streaming in the next contract, with additional pay for its football program.

None of this has to even be true. It just needs to be out there. Fox and the B1G sure as sh#t reacted to the PAC getting a deal from Apple, and the possibility of seeing their Oregon and Washington live there for the next six years...whether Oregon and Washington were going to sign that crappy contract or not. My guess is they would do the same with UConn if the possibility became real that they could lose them to streaming altogether.
No.

DGB

Reaction Score
We are already out of the box. We need to get a new box first then we can think out that one.
UConn hasn't had an out of the box thought since Calhoun went with a big on big double team against Duke in '99.

Benedict may have a real plan here, but previous administrations weren't even playing checkers in realignment...they were playing Legos with marbles and toothpicks.

UConn is still recovering.

Reaction Score
I have no idea. But I am assuming 17 and 18 will come in at a reduced amount. The B1G might need another media partner also, so maybe Amazon would take some content from both.
Reduced rate doesn't sound so appealing. I guess it will come down to what exactly are the numbers.

Until UConn actually has an offer, nothing else really matters at this point.

Reaction Score

Who else in the east can be added to UConn if Yormack wants to increase the eastern influence and doesn’t want to wait until 2036 for the ACC to break up?
Big 12 waiting for ACC to implode or they do it. So need a new media deal

Reaction Score
"Move on" to where, exactly?
The future. I mean we can’t continue to negotiate from a position of weakness. Like, just control what we can control. That’s show up to games. That’s recruit well. That’s win. Sen. Murphy got his wish. No it’s time he steps up to ensure UConn’s long term viability.

Reaction Score

The B1G is the runaway leader in realignment. This doesn’t even make sense. They get a new deal before the SEC. They might get $150M a school in the next negotiation.

Reaction Score
Yormark is afraid the ACC is going to add UConn and USF before he can find the media money to add 17 and 18.
I know you guys think I'm full of , but thought I'd post it anyway.

The thing is no one cares what Yormark thinks... especially his own conference Presidents and BOR's. The only thing that matters going forward is what the President's think and it looks like they've made that pretty clear with the regions they are approving.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Probably App State and Liberty

Liberty vs BYU bible handout championship about to be LIT

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom