Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Discussion in 'Conference Realignment Board' started by ZooCougar, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Mr. Conehead

Mr. Conehead

Kraft did get $72 million out of Massachusetts for infrastructure improvements around Gillette, which is a lot less than other municipalities have ponied-up. Of course, such improvements massively helped his real estate investments in the areas. There is also the persistent rumor that Kraft has focused his interest on building a soccer only stadium for the Revs in Boston because the outlining cities that have shown interest, Somerville and Revere especially, are not able to offer Kraft the money he wants from the public. It maybe the key reason he backed Boston's Olympic bid before it blew-up.

2. CoastAtlantic

CoastAtlantic

DAVIS: Where to begin? Well, for weeks it appeared the Big 12 was leaning toward no expansion. Oklahoma president David Boren was the one who started this whole mess, saying the league was “psychologically disadvantaged” for its inability to get a league-wide network. But why the Big 12 put everyone through this ringer only to do nothing is still baffling. If you take all the emotion out of it, this league is probably better off by not adding teams. There’s not a single candidate out there that moves the financial needle in any dramatic way. Sorry, Houston. My apologies, BYU.

Here’s the real problem for Texas. The school has no interest in extending its grant of rights beyond the 2024-25 athletic year. OU won’t do that, either. So let’s drop all the “we’re stronger than we’ve ever been” rhetoric. If that was indeed the case, Texas and OU would agree to extend their TV rights for another decade or so. By not extending its rights, Texas continues to remain flexible.

I still contend Texas will end up in the Big Ten when this is all said and done. Oklahoma will go to the SEC, and the other eight schools will have to fend for themselves. Why schools like Texas Tech and TCU think Texas will “save” them in the end is beyond my comprehension. Every single school in this league should be thinking about itself and nobody else. Memo to the Red Raiders, Horned Frogs and Bears: I promise you the Longhorns are worried about their long-term future, not yours.

Mr. Conehead, CL82, JMick and 6 others like this.
  3. brasssbonanzaa

brasssbonanzaa

More importantly Somerville and Revere aren't able to offer Kraft the land....they have none.

4. CoastAtlantic

CoastAtlantic

It may not mean anything but...

mavblues likes this.
  5. sportsart

sportsart College Football has stage P5 cancer.

Rumor is OU will be meeting with 11 FB conference leaders, across all levels, to see presentations about OU joining their conference.

Fox and ESPN monitoring.

Marty Jackson, Jimdish255 and CL82 like this.
  6. CardiffGiant

CardiffGiant

Where did this rumor come from?

7. huskymedic

huskymedic

dumb.jpg

8. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

@theArtofWV

McHuski, mavblues, uchusky32 and 4 others like this.
  9. The Funster

The Funster Purveyor of fine bullspit

I can't see Texas in the B1G or SEC. I could see the PAC or ACC as landing spots. I can see OU in the SEC or PAC. And as I type this I realize I really don't give a crap anymore.

uconnell likes this.
  10. CoastAtlantic

CoastAtlantic

11. FfldCntyFan

FfldCntyFan AD Dave is my hero!

Just a guess on my part (if I was one of the twitterati I would claim it is sourced) but as the B-12 GOR approaches its end, I can see ESPN working out a deal where Texas gets an arrangement with the ACC similar to ND. Added to this, while playing fewer conference games than the remainder of the conference, both ND and UT will sit in opposite divisions and can (under very specific circumstances) qualify for the conference championship game.

12. WestHartHusk

WestHartHusk Thank God It's Basketball Season

Pretty much exactly what I would expect the president of tech to look like.

junglehusky, IMind, auggie22 and 3 others like this.
  13. TRest

TRest Horrible

He has a bitchen' Camaro.

IMind, WestHartHusk and hardcorehusky like this.
  14. huskymedic

huskymedic

15. NYUConn

NYUConn

Jae-VT likes this.
  16. Jae-VT

Jae-VT

Here is the money quote to remember whenever the conference realignment twitterati speaks from their mountain top again:

"I do think Texas one day exits the Big 12, as Lebreton suggests, but the idea that any combination of Texas A&M, LSU, Nebraska and Arkansas would ever consider, let alone leave, the riches, stability and prestige of the SEC or Big Ten to cast their lot with a re-tooled, Longhorn-less Big 12 is asinine. Asinine doesn’t even begin to touch the spot of how clueless, mom’s-basement-blogger, 75-followers-on-Twitter, flat-out dumb that scenario is."

17. don356

don356

That's actually former Pitt coach Dave Wannstadt. He was on Jenny Craig for a year. The Stach man!

18. dayooper

dayooper It's what I do. I drink and I know things.

There is no stach in football better than this one:

[​IMG]

Dooley and SeoulHuskyFan like this.
  19. MattMang23

MattMang23 Contrarian

Not many better defenses either.

Dooley, dayooper, UConnDan97 and 3 others like this.
  20. Fairfield_1st

Fairfield_1st Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool

I was a lifelong Patriot and Steeler fan up until that debacle. Kraft toyed with my greatest sports passion (UConn). I had visions of sharing a pro size Stadium with them. When CT offered him the farm and he eventually balked and went back to Mass, that signaled the end of my Pats fandom. I was used and didn't like it. I swore I'd never root for them again as long as Kraft was the owner. It's been a long time and my hatred continues to ratchet up every year. At this point I could never go back to rooting for them. Eff the cheating Pats & their owner.

mavblues, Mr. Conehead and Who Ha like this.
  21. huskymedic

huskymedic

UConn Dan and CL82 like this.
  22. Husky25

Husky25 Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.

Ironically, Kraft probably helped UConn.

For one thing, in looking at the rendering, there is no room for parking (i.e. no room for tailgating, which has become the highlight for many of the game day experience), had a stadium been built on Adrian's Landing. For another, Downtown is another 5 of travel by car and 10-15 minutes to find parking. Finally, Imagine how the optics would look for UConn attendance in an NFL sized stadium? Instead of 70% capacity, They be lucky to push 40%. And the Stadium would be cavernous.
    [​IMG]

23. Marty Jackson

Marty Jackson

24. huskymedic

huskymedic

... more dysfunctional back-peddling?

Kirk Bohls ‏@kbohls 1h1 hour ago
    Big 12 commish Bowlsby says he shared "lots of information about individual schools in advance of meeting, 90-min presentation on process."

Kirk Bohls ‏@kbohls 1h1 hour ago
    Bowlsby: "I believe President (David) Boren indicated Board did not vote on individual institutions." I thought DB said no talk of schools.

25. SubbaBub

SubbaBub Your stupidity is ruining my country.

These are really just small time yokels not used to the world stage.

Why would you say that to anyone?

26. Fairfield_1st

Fairfield_1st Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool

You are probably 100% correct. And maybe things would have changed after the fact and made it more palatable compared to the spaciousness we currently have. As you read, my initial objection was just being used.
    I have to say, though, that the rendering is pretty cool looking. Kind of a funky design on the stadium. It's got a little style to it. The Rent is pretty plain as far as stadiums go. Interesting shop/restaurant complex over I-91. I wouldn't have done it, but taking a water taxi to the stadium would be cool. Could ride straight up & down the CT river.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    NYUConn likes this.
  27. dayooper

You aren't lying. Don Brown has made a very good defense (last years Michigan defense) and made them great. Best hire Harbaugh has made and it's not close. The stach is icing on the cake.
    [​IMG]

Best media guide picture ever for a coach!

HuskyHawk, IMind, MattMang23 and 2 others like this.
  28. dayooper

junglehusky likes this.
  29. CoastAtlantic

CoastAtlantic

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 6h6 hours ago
    Big 12's Bob Bowlsby today on expansion process: "It may not have yielded what some wanted, but it was a very thorough process."

Bowlsby says extending grant of rights “It isn’t on the table for anybody." With nobody wanting to extend TV deal, no need to extend GOR.

No need for an extension of GOR is not the same as Texas' position of NOT wanting to extend GOR. Horns want to keep all options open.

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 5h5 hours ago
    Bob Bowlsby given a chance to blast what's been written about the league: "I don’t read the good stuff, and I don’t read the bad stuff."

30. TRest

TRest Horrible

That's what I'm talk in' about.