Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 271 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Also mentioned in Platinum Top Shelf, the media tweeters are taking notice.

I'm more surprised than anything else. Granted, Texas is a big market. But I thought they loved football down there.

You're telling me they do a 11 rating for the big bowl games in Houston?

Houston, it seems, behaves more like a pro football town than practically anywhere down south.

This is a big market though, so any decent number like that is worth $$$.

Which I guess is the point.

But for some reason I would have thought more would have tuned in.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Did OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU and WV just stop caring about adding a 5th school from Texas?
Is the Houston market all of a sudden producing double it's number of households?
Is UH+1 revenue neutral to the corporations footing the bill for this?

UH as one of two adds in a 12 team league is no more likely today than it was a month ago. Please stop listening to media whores.

Reaction Score
Did OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU and WV just stop caring about adding a 5th school from Texas?
Is the Houston market all of a sudden producing double it's number of households?
Is UH+1 revenue neutral to the corporations footing the bill for this?

UH as one of two adds in a 12 team league is no more likely today than it was a month ago. Please stop listening to media whores.

This. The addition of another Texas school to go to 12, thereby INCREASING the Texas influence in this already Texas-centric conference is completely untenable for the non-Texas schools. I have no doubt they will block any such notion. The only way it flies is if we go to 14 or UT and OU sign a new GOR. The latter will not happen with th we additions IMO.

Reaction Score
This. The addition of another Texas school to go to 12, thereby INCREASING the Texas influence in this already Texas-centric conference is completely untenable for the non-Texas schools. I have no doubt they will block any such notion. The only way it flies is if we go to 14 or UT and OU sign a new GOR. The latter will not happen with th we additions IMO.

The reason there are so many Texas schools is because Texas has all the power. No one wants Texas to leave. And that gives them leverage.

Reaction Score
The reason there are so many Texas schools is because Texas has all the power. No one wants Texas to leave. And that gives them leverage.
Bingo, and if Texas really wants to hook everyone in, they offer to extend the GOR for a little bit, but leave themselves a legal backdoor in 2025. UH/BYU is a very, very, very real possibility.

Which wouldn't be a completely disastrous result for us. If we could pitch to UC a move where we both bring BB and Olympic sports to the Big East and move football to somewhere like the Mountain West, that could prove to be a moderately doable temporary home for our programs until another door opens down the road. It would certainly bolster Big East basketball, and we'd make two solid additions to another football conference, and we'd get out of the dumpster fire AAC.

Reaction Score
Bingo, and if Texas really wants to hook everyone in, they offer to extend the GOR for a little bit, but leave themselves a legal backdoor in 2025. UH/BYU is a very, very, very real possibility.

Which wouldn't be a completely disastrous result for us. If we could pitch to UC a move where we both bring BB and Olympic sports to the Big East and move football to somewhere like the Mountain West, that could prove to be a moderately doable temporary home for our programs until another door opens down the road. It would certainly bolster Big East basketball, and we'd make two solid additions to another football conference, and we'd get out of the dumpster fire AAC.
Out of curiosity, how will the GOR be extended? They have no commitment from a network, they have no additioanl money, and UH/BYU wouldn't support either. Do you really believe OU would sign an extension, allow only Texas a legal backdoor, all while they 40+million waiting for them elsewhere. This makes absolutely no sense.

Reaction Score
Had the power. Going forward, OU has a voice in this as well. The LHN has alienated Texas and has really put them in no man's land regionally and nationally.

Reaction Score

Nobody in this conference is going to fall for some ill-contrived GOR extension with an out for UT after 2024 like they already will have. It'll be an ironclad 20-year extension like the ACC with new media deals or there won't be an extension at all with this round of expansion. The Iowa State president and AD have made this very clear. The northern schools are not going to get pushed into something they don't want. If that means they block expansion entirely, then that's that. Houston as one of two is not workable.

Nobody in this conference believes UT wants to be in the same conference with the likes of Houston long-term if all we are getting are some "promises" that it will make Austin happy. UT wants to appease Texas legislators and it'll grease the skids when they flee in 2024 to already have "elevated" Houston - they can say "look, we got Houston promoted, now we are going to leave but you still have 4 Texas schools in the Big 12 so everybody (in Texas) wins!".

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
If we could pitch to UC a move where we both bring BB and Olympic sports to the Big East and move football to somewhere like the Mountain West, that could prove to be a moderately doable temporary home for our programs until another door opens down the road. It would certainly bolster Big East basketball, and we'd make two solid additions to another football conference, and we'd get out of the dumpster fire AAC.

Just wondering why people think the Mountain West is such a better place? Almost every one of their schools applied to be on The List for the Big XII, too. No one wants to be in that league either. Both the AAC and the Mountain West are the Lands of Misfit Toys. It's P5 or bust for every school. Moving to the Mountain West solves nothing.

Reaction Score
Had the power. Going forward, OU has a voice in this as well. The LHN has alienated Texas and has really put them in no man's land regionally and nationally.

Texas has no fear in any of this. They will be in a more powerful conference. But--if Texas leaves the B12, OU leaves too and it all unravels. This is a position of power. Schools like Kansas or Oklahoma State still believe that it is possible to find a solution that keeps Texas in the B12, and therefore the B12 viable. This is what gives Texas all the power.

Reaction Score
Texas has no fear in any of this. They will be in a more powerful conference. But--if Texas leaves the B12, OU leaves too and it all unravels. This is a position of power. Schools like Kansas or Oklahoma State still believe that it is possible to find a solution that keeps Texas in the B12, and therefore the B12 viable. This is what gives Texas all the power.
Of course, Texas has power. It has the Power of Veto. I don't think it has the same power to force more Texas schools down the Big12's throat. No school outside the state will ally with Texas. So, yeah, Texas has power. But not the same power it once had.

Reaction Score
Of course, Texas has power. It has the Power of Veto. I don't think it has the same power to force more Texas schools down the Big12's throat. No school outside the state will ally with Texas. So, yeah, Texas has power. But not the same power it once had.

What can they do?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
C. Austin Cox ‏@C_Austin_Cox 2h2 hours ago
Think I'll spend my Labor Day looking for one single "source" - not traced back to ESPN - that says #Memphis is out of #Big12Expansion.

Someone needs to share the Ralph Russo AP Article w/ him... AP Source: Memphis, Temple cut from Big 12 expansion field

He'll probably just say Russo talked to McMurphy;)
What a stupid thing to insist being correct on. Memphis is never making the B12, it doesn't matter when it's eliminated.

Reaction Score
What a stupid thing to insist being correct on. Memphis is never making the B12, it doesn't matter when it's eliminated.

I just wish, for his sake, that he had something better to do on his Memorial Day!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UH as one of two adds in a 12 team league is no more likely today than it was a month ago.

This statement is only accurate if UH was a lock a month ago.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Not much here. Good job, good footbaw, but I'm just the footbaw coach.

TCU coach Gary Patterson has been on both sides of the expansion game and said he has no opinion, other than “I was very impressed by the game they played. But outside of that, it’s above my paygrade to decide. If we do expand, it’ll be because of financial reasons. Those people have their agendas on why they do things. Every conference I’ve been in, they’ve never asked my opinion about it. They’re probably not going to ask my opinion about it either.”

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

Switching FB to the MWC would be a huge downgrade. That's no way to impress P5 conferences. And the Big East is vastly overrated in BB.

Reaction Score
Switching FB to the MWC would be a huge downgrade. That's no way to impress P5 conferences. And the Big East is vastly overrated in BB.
Perhaps that's the case with the MWC, but the AAC is no better. Big East bb is not overrated - they have the defending champs, a good GTown program, a very solid Xavier, and a consistent Butler program. In the scenario I posed where UC and UConn both go to the Big East that gives the conference 5-6 bids each year without a sweat and at least two national title contenders. That is miles ahead of the AAC. Not to mention the boost to BB ticket sales to be playing old local rivals again instead of Tulane, ECU, Tulsa, and UCF.

Reaction Score
Just wondering why people think the Mountain West is such a better place? Almost every one of their schools applied to be on The List for the Big XII, too. No one wants to be in that league either. Both the AAC and the Mountain West are the Lands of Misfit Toys. It's P5 or bust for every school. Moving to the Mountain West solves nothing.
The Mountain West has put several teams in the p-5. I'm not sure the AAC can say that, yet.

I also think the lack of competition and higher amount of public flagship schools as opposed to private and commuter schools may have something to do with it being perceived as more stable.

That being said when the AAC add schools this round of realignment I fully expect the AAC to reload with a block of Western schools to form a true nationwide conference. At that point it will be really interesting to see what happens to the MW. Might see some schools like Wyoming move to the Big Sky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom