Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Discussion in 'Conference Realignment Board' started by ZooCougar, Nov 20, 2012.

1. whaler11

whaler11 Kickoff: 11:11

Bowlsby make Beebe look like a genius.

NYUConn and The Funster like this.
  2. kyleslamb

kyleslamb

whaler11 likes this.
  3. CoastAtlantic

CoastAtlantic

4. dayooper

dayooper It's what I do. I drink and I know things.

Five years for a CCG when your GoR and TV contract run for eight? Like I have been saying for two years, the Big12 is a dead conference walking.

FDNY99 likes this.
  5. CoastAtlantic

CoastAtlantic

6. CoastAtlantic

CoastAtlantic

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 8h8 hours ago
    NCAA President Mark Emmert says he would prefer an 8-team CFB Playoff so all Power 5 conference champions are guaranteed a bid

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 4h4 hours ago
    B1G commish Jim Delany asked if @CFBPlayoff committee got the 4 teams right? “I think it did."

B1G commish Jim Delany said television did not dictate B1G play on Friday nights. It was league's decision

B1G commish Jim Delany: "Too much ice cream is not good. Too many playoff games is not good.” Not sure, I agree w/too much ice cream comment

B1G commish Jim Delany said there is no “look in” to expand @CFBPlayoffs after 6 years before 2020 season

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 3h3 hours ago
    B1G commish Jim Delany, when told NCAA President Mark Emmert prefers an 8-team CFBPlayoff:
    "Everyone has an opinion. He doesn't have a vote though."

John Janda ‏@jJandbytheGram 2h2 hours ago
    John Janda Retweeted Brett McMurphy

Was he asks about his previous comments of conference champs should be in the playoffs?

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 2h2 hours ago
    @jJandbytheGram Yes, he has referenced that several times. That he “lost that election"

Pac-12’s Larry Scott doesn’t expect Power 5 expansion “for foreseeable future. When might it happen again? Perhaps when TV contracts are up"

Pac-12’s Larry Scott on 16-team conferences: “I think it’s likely, I don’t know timeframe"

Pac-12’s Larry Scott hints to watch out when Pac-12 football/hoops TV rights expire in 2024. “We’ll be in a very unique position"

7. whaler11

whaler11 Kickoff: 11:11

Turns out this was wrong...

businesslawyer and UCPusky like this.
  8. shizzle787

shizzle787 King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool

Good news for us. This sniffs of Texahoma four going to Pac-16, leaving either us and Kansas to B1G or at least we joined a weakened Big 12.

9. billybud

billybud

Pac 12 Commissioner says that expansion may not be over....

I think it’s likely you’ll see more expansion, more consolidation over time,” Scott said Wednesday at the Learfield Intercollegiate Athletics Forum in New York, hinting at the possibility of 16 super conferences that have been dreamt up previously. Scott suggested the next round of media rights package negotiations could spearhead those discussions about expansion as conferences look to jockey for the best bargaining power with media partners. The Pac-12’s current contract is due to expire in 2024, to which Scott suggested “We’ll be in a very unique position.”

Pac-12’s Larry Scott says expansion may happen again, but unsure how soon

uchusky32 and King Husky like this.
  10. billybud

billybud

Chin Diesel and Rappin'Rodney like this.
  11. CoastAtlantic

CoastAtlantic

12. huskymedic

huskymedic

Bob Driehaus ‏@BobDriehaus 25m 25 minutes ago
    2 sources: @uofcincy to name @uofl's Neville Pinto permanent president; was UC graduate school dean until '11
    Sources: Neville G. Pinto to be named University of Cincinnati's new president

>>Pinto is interim president at University of Louisville, but he has deep roots at UC, beginning as a professor of chemical engineering in 1985 and working his way up to dean of the graduate school.<<

>>If approved Saturday, Pinto will be UC's third in 2016. Santa Ono left UC to become president and vice chancellor at the University of British Columbia. Interim President Beverly Davenport accepted an offer to be chancellor of the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. She will remain at UC through January.<<

13. shizzle787

I'm really sure if this is a key tweet or CR material.

14. huskymedic

huskymedic

15. CL82

CL82 It's going to be ok - calm down and enjoy the ride

dogged1, jostar1, uchusky32 and 2 others like this.
  16. History Geek

History Geek

I totally think this is the way it went down.

17. sportsart

sportsart College Football has stage P5 cancer.

There was never going to be an expansion after the ACC got their "network".

It was all a charade to get more money now from ESPN and Fox, aka the pooch, without screwing the pooch and getting less money down the road

It was all but confirmed as such by the reports of who was present (or not present) at school presentations and how uninterested the Big 12 officials seemed.

Nothing to see here.

Ldandy, HuskyinWRNY, uconnell and 2 others like this.
  18. billybud

billybud

19. billybud

billybud

If this does come to fruition, it would effectively make a Div IA (or CFP), a G5, and FCS divisions...all with their own playoffs.

This would acknowledge the split away of the CFP programs, create a middle weight championship class. Would it have any deleterious effect? Or is it all good?

20. FfldCntyFan

FfldCntyFan AD Dave is my hero!

It is far from good and considering that it occurred after a season where some evidence existed that the right G-5 school could break through has me baffled that this is coming from a G-5 school.

21. shizzle787

Aresco is against this.

22. Ldandy

Ldandy

There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument. From a business side of things an AD could view a G5 Playoff as a means for their financially strapped athletic department to generate more revenue. They know that ESPN would broadcast it and people would watch it.

At this point in time there are only a small number of G5 Programs that are set up long term to compete for the access bowl bid on a yearly basis. These schools have resources and use them. Schools like Boise, BYU, Houston, Uconn, and Cincy have the infrastructure to sustain success. However if you are Bowling Green, North Texas, or Utah State you need a once in a lifetime season where everything goes your way in order to have any shot. To these schools the guaranteed income of a playoff might be very attractive.

Being realistic the gulf between an Ohio and Ohio State or Troy and Alabama is so vast it is like they are competing in a different classification already. JMO but the gap in resources is far greater between the top and bottom of FBS than between the top of FCS and the bottom of the G5. That is why we see movement on that borderline. Some realize its hopeless to compete and move down, others try to elevate their programs. Ultimately I think we see the top G5 Programs move into the P5 either as additions to existing conferences or as an entirely new one. The less solvent G5 Schools will absorb the top FCS conferences in a new classification and compete for this G5 Playoff.

History Geek likes this.
  23. FfldCntyFan

I imagine that quite a few within both P-5 schools and their broadcast partners felt they dodged a bullet with Houston not being able to run the table in the AAC (which would have made it impossible to keep them out of the playoff). If someone from one of those camps, in an attempt to keep that from happening proposed this it would have made sense (as that is the last piece of ammunition necessary to officially exclude us). It coming from a G-5 school makes no sense at all.

UConnDan97 and uconnell like this.
  24. Husky25

Husky25 Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.

No there is not. UConn should not give a hoot or a holler about what is good for Bowling Green, North Texas or Cincinnati for that matter. This is a UConn message board and as such, anything and everything under consideration should be viewed through a National Flag Blue colored prism. Not one checkmark can be put in the Pro column.

25. SpartyCyclone

SpartyCyclone

But not just any G5 school. Western Michigan just proved you can go undefeated and still not even be considered for the national championship. They did every thing in their power, and it still wasn't good enough. For most G5 schools, there is no possibility of a national championship from day one. At least in basketball, everybody has a theoretical chance.

26. Dream Jobbed 2.0

Dream Jobbed 2.0 Formerly DiacosArmy

I was ready to make a post about OOC schedule then I looked WMU up and they beat Northwestern and Illinois. Not bad but not great. It'd take a situation like Houston had this year with a dynamite OOC schedule and high preseason ranking to get done.

27. FfldCntyFan

So this is basically the MAC saying "we know, regardless of on field product, our profile won't allow us to ever break through so we want to ensure all other G-5 schools are in the same boat".

Chin Diesel likes this.
  28. Husky25

Husky25 Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.

WMU was well outside the preseason top 25 and didn't break into the AP rankings until week 7. By contrast, UDub was #14 in the preseason and #4 in the CFP. Basically, a program has to be at least ranked to start the year in order to have a chance.

The G5 is certainly at a disadvantage, but we already knew that.

29. dayooper

dayooper It's what I do. I drink and I know things.

I think that if there is enough early hype and they go undefeated, an AAC team can make it to the playoff, maybe a MWC team too. MAC, Sunbelt and Conference USA? Never.

hardcorehusky likes this.
  30. billybud

billybud

I agree that an AAC team that runs the table (and has a good OOC win), could get in the playoff.