Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 224 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Malloy has no leverage. If he walks into ESPN's offices with a smoking gun, Disney will:
a. laugh in his face
b. pull the plug & rebuild in Charlotte & broadcast out of Manhattan
fine by us. enjoy charlotte.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Malloy has no leverage. If he walks into ESPN's offices with a smoking gun, Disney will:
a. laugh in his face
b. pull the plug & rebuild in Charlotte & broadcast out of Manhattan

State legislatures aren't inclined to invest a lot of taxpayer money in failing business models, especially to corporations that screwed over the last state that tried to help them.

Corporations like Disney are the same way. The business head of ESPN would think long and hard about telling Disney's board that yeah, his business model is collapsing but he decided now was the right time to relocate his entire business at a major cost because some middle manager in college sports programming really doesn't like UConn.

Connecticut's biotechnology startup sector creates hundreds of jobs a year, whereas there is no way ESPN will not be shedding hundreds over the next few years. Which industry should Connecticut support?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Connecticut's biotechnology startup sector creates hundreds of jobs a year, whereas there is no way ESPN will not be shedding hundreds over the next few years. Which industry should Connecticut support?
Seems clear to me:
ESPN employs 4,000 people in Bristol according to their website, up from 3,000 in 2008. However they laid off 200 people last fall and that is likely the trend for the near future.

UCONN emplys a little over 8,600 people directly, the the Bioscience center aloneis projected to create 16,000 jobs over the next 20 years.

Reaction Score
Yeah he is...HUGE Addazio supporter! I'm thinking @06029 took my advice and hit the bricks...and doesn't spend any $$ out of his pocket to support UConn sports like the rest of us on here.
Bourbon and posting is sometimes a bad combination. My point is that there will be no one to blame if things go bad as much as there will be no one to congratulate other than the conference that chooses.

If Uconn is a slam dunk choice, this forum would not exist. Uconn has some clear flaws as well as some clear strengths, especially for the Big 12. Uconn is so much more of a natural fit for the ACC or the B1G.

I think the Big12 is worse than staying in the AAC if there is no extension of GOR by TX and OU.

Reaction Score
Bourbon and posting is sometimes a bad combination. My point is that there will be no one to blame if things go bad as much as there will be no one to congratulate other than the conference that chooses.

If Uconn is a slam dunk choice, this forum would not exist. Uconn has some clear flaws as well as some clear strengths, especially for the Big 12. Uconn is so much more of a natural fit for the ACC or the B1G.

I think the Big12 is worse than staying in the AAC if there is no extension of GOR by TX and OU.
. That was worse than your bourbon inspired post.

Reaction Score

You are 100% wrong on the statement you made about the B-12 vs the AAC!
I think being chosen by the B-12 will be looked at as vindication....the scar runs long and deep about the ACC. DeFillipo can say give all the retractions he wants but BC and Miami definitely helped seal UConn's fate with the ACC because of bad blood. The ACC bus has left the station unless ND decides to join. That is a pipe dream at best..and won't happen until they get blocked out of the CFP at least 2x. As for the B1G...until UConn reaches AAU status it isn't even an option. Delany has made that very clear...and that's the reason why they took RU over UConn.
This forum will always have some activity on it...in the college sports bulletin board world outside of CSNBBS this forum is one of the best out there for CR. B-12 or not it's pretty clear as Warde before him, and now Benedict have been harping to the fan base about selling out the Rent for each and every game.

Reaction Score
This shows you have no understanding of the college athletics landscape.
Uconn will not be on equal footing with TX and OU for a number of years. Football will sacrifice games at the Rent to NYC or Gillette at least once per year or more, Uconn will not have a full share of revenue for years, MBB will be okay no matter the conference and all the other sports are fine where they are. Add in a league destined to implode in 2025 without an extension of GOR, and I can see standing pat.

If TX and OU and all the others agree to an extension of GOR to 2036 like the ACC, then moving makes sense. That gives Uconn more than enough time to get to be on equal terms with the "traditional" schools.

This is all moot anyway. The ACC invite is coming in October.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Uconn will not be on equal footing with TX and OU for a number of years. Football will sacrifice games at the Rent to NYC or Gillette at least once per year or more, Uconn will not have a full share of revenue for years, MBB will be okay no matter the conference and all the other sports are fine where they are. Add in a league destined to implode in 2025 without an extension of GOR, and I can see standing pat.

If TX and OU and all the others agree to an extension of GOR to 2036 like the ACC, then moving makes sense. That gives Uconn more than enough time to get to be on equal terms with the "traditional" schools.

UCONN doesn't have to be on the same footing with UT and OU. We just need to be competitive. They indicated the same thing about us before we joined the Big East. We were competitive right from the start and won the league title a couple of times.

Even with a decidedly mediocre team last season, we went to Missouri, and if not for a boneheaded coaching decision, we came damn close to winning that game.

Give us the advantage of recruiting in a P5 conference and I assure you we will be competitive in any P5 conference, and it won't take 10 seasons.

Reaction Score

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read here. Worse than the Memphis trolls.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

captain-picard-facepalm.jpg

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

The 2025 implosion is one of if not the most important part of getting in. College athletics will go through a complete reshuffling at that point if it happens. Would you rather have been in the Big12 for 8 years at that point or barely clinging to survival in the AAC when the ACC and B1G are picking up members?

Reaction Score
The 2025 implosion is one of if not the most important part of getting in. College athletics will go through a complete reshuffling at that point if it happens. Would you rather have been in the Big12 for 8 years at that point or barely clinging to survival in the AAC when the ACC and B1G are picking up members?

Some people are just too stupid to see the whole picture. They do no research, have no grasp on common sense, and are happy to be ignorant and spew nonsense.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't see how someone would be able to argue that the B-12 without UT & OU isn't better than the AAC.

Reaction Score
I don't see how someone would be able to argue that the B-12 without UT & OU isn't better than the AAC.
That someone is a BC Troll/Addazio band wagon drum beater. Re-reading his posts that is definitely evident.

Reaction Score
Big 12 Update ‏@Big12Update 17h17 hours ago
UNM makes pitch for Big 12 expansion in letter w full letter
Updated: UNM makes pitch for Big 12 expansion in letter (w/ full letter)

“Once they made it known that they were officially interested in expanding,” said UNM Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs, “we expressed our interest in an official capacity, which was a notice from the university and President Frank.”

Included in the letter were nine bullet points expressing “some interesting facts that you may not have realized about UNM.” Among them included data about Albuquerque’s 48th-ranked television market size, the school’s success over the past five years in the classroom and on the field (36 conference championships), the millions of dollars of facility upgrades in recent years around the south campus and the cultural diversity of the school and region.

“Sports reporters, ESPN broadcasters, and all the other outlets are advancing many names for possible Big 12 expansion,” Frank wrote. “None of those universities or colleges can match the athletic and academic prowess of The University of New Mexico (UNM), a school which is not only within the Big 12’s regional footprint, but is a research institution with a diverse student population and a rich cultural history. UNM fits the core values of the conference’s peer institutions, and has a collegiate fan base and media base to match.”

“I really can’t say much more than there has been communication with the Big 12 office back and forth,” Krebs said. “… I think it’s safe to say that some of the conversations we’ve had with the Big 12 were held in confidence and they’ve given us a sense of their timetable, but beyond that, I’m really not at liberty to comment.”

Reaction Score
Big 12 Update ‏@Big12Update 17h17 hours ago
UNM makes pitch for Big 12 expansion in letter w full letter
Updated: UNM makes pitch for Big 12 expansion in letter (w/ full letter)

“Once they made it known that they were officially interested in expanding,” said UNM Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs, “we expressed our interest in an official capacity, which was a notice from the university and President Frank.”

Included in the letter were nine bullet points expressing “some interesting facts that you may not have realized about UNM.” Among them included data about Albuquerque’s 48th-ranked television market size, the school’s success over the past five years in the classroom and on the field (36 conference championships), the millions of dollars of facility upgrades in recent years around the south campus and the cultural diversity of the school and region.

“Sports reporters, ESPN broadcasters, and all the other outlets are advancing many names for possible Big 12 expansion,” Frank wrote. “None of those universities or colleges can match the athletic and academic prowess of The University of New Mexico (UNM), a school which is not only within the Big 12’s regional footprint, but is a research institution with a diverse student population and a rich cultural history. UNM fits the core values of the conference’s peer institutions, and has a collegiate fan base and media base to match.”

“I really can’t say much more than there has been communication with the Big 12 office back and forth,” Krebs said. “… I think it’s safe to say that some of the conversations we’ve had with the Big 12 were held in confidence and they’ve given us a sense of their timetable, but beyond that, I’m really not at liberty to comment.”

LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom