Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 225 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Big 12 Update ‏@Big12Update 17h17 hours ago
UNM makes pitch for Big 12 expansion in letter w full letter
Updated: UNM makes pitch for Big 12 expansion in letter (w/ full letter)

“Once they made it known that they were officially interested in expanding,” said UNM Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs, “we expressed our interest in an official capacity, which was a notice from the university and President Frank.”

Included in the letter were nine bullet points expressing “some interesting facts that you may not have realized about UNM.” Among them included data about Albuquerque’s 48th-ranked television market size, the school’s success over the past five years in the classroom and on the field (36 conference championships), the millions of dollars of facility upgrades in recent years around the south campus and the cultural diversity of the school and region.

“Sports reporters, ESPN broadcasters, and all the other outlets are advancing many names for possible Big 12 expansion,” Frank wrote. “None of those universities or colleges can match the athletic and academic prowess of The University of New Mexico (UNM), a school which is not only within the Big 12’s regional footprint, but is a research institution with a diverse student population and a rich cultural history. UNM fits the core values of the conference’s peer institutions, and has a collegiate fan base and media base to match.”

“I really can’t say much more than there has been communication with the Big 12 office back and forth,” Krebs said. “… I think it’s safe to say that some of the conversations we’ve had with the Big 12 were held in confidence and they’ve given us a sense of their timetable, but beyond that, I’m really not at liberty to comment.”

yeahhh good luck with that. a little behind the eight ball

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not so fast, my friends. They OWN Albuquerque!

Beware of the Lobo, especially during a full moon!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“None of those universities or colleges can match the athletic and academic prowess of The University of New Mexico (UNM)

ezgif.com-optimize-28--5638d6b04572a.gif

Reaction Score
It's true. UConn can't match New Mexico's athletic and academic prowess because they've already surpassed it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
New Mexico is a state flagship. I've always wondered why the Pac12 wouldn't even consider them.
Not much in the way of athletic success. Academically #100 public institution nationally. State ranks 37th in GDP. 36th in population with 2 mil. 45th in population density with 17 people per square mile. No recruiting territory. Average very low 20's in attendance.

On the plus side, they're contiguous and Albuquerque is at least 48th in media markets.

Reaction Score
Big 12 Update ‏@Big12Update 17h17 hours ago
UNM makes pitch for Big 12 expansion in letter w full letter
Updated: UNM makes pitch for Big 12 expansion in letter (w/ full letter)

“Once they made it known that they were officially interested in expanding,” said UNM Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs, “we expressed our interest in an official capacity, which was a notice from the university and President Frank.”

Included in the letter were nine bullet points expressing “some interesting facts that you may not have realized about UNM.” Among them included data about Albuquerque’s 48th-ranked television market size, the school’s success over the past five years in the classroom and on the field (36 conference championships), the millions of dollars of facility upgrades in recent years around the south campus and the cultural diversity of the school and region.

“Sports reporters, ESPN broadcasters, and all the other outlets are advancing many names for possible Big 12 expansion,” Frank wrote. “None of those universities or colleges can match the athletic and academic prowess of The University of New Mexico (UNM), a school which is not only within the Big 12’s regional footprint, but is a research institution with a diverse student population and a rich cultural history. UNM fits the core values of the conference’s peer institutions, and has a collegiate fan base and media base to match.”

“I really can’t say much more than there has been communication with the Big 12 office back and forth,” Krebs said. “… I think it’s safe to say that some of the conversations we’ve had with the Big 12 were held in confidence and they’ve given us a sense of their timetable, but beyond that, I’m really not at liberty to comment.”

This reads like an Onion article.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
New Mexico is a state flagship. I've always wondered why the Pac12 wouldn't even consider them.

Tumbleweeds don't have cable.

Reaction Score
PAC-12 could go to 16 if they added New Mexico, Wyoming, Nevada, and Idaho. All state flagships!

Reaction Score
PAC-12 could go to 16 if they added New Mexico, Wyoming, Nevada, and Idaho. All state flagships!
Come on. New Mexico has decent hoops, the Pit in Alberquerque, and almost every million residents. Wyoming has what 500k, residents?

Reaction Score
Reading all these tweets and columns by these so called sports writers (?) makes me realize that they just don't think or research anything. Some of their pronogisticatons are so dumb that it makes me think I thought this out better than they have. Memphis really?" Who knows what the BigXll will do, it almost seems as though they don't know what they are going to do either.

I wish I could stop reading all this carp, it is like an addiction.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Yes, Nell, this is an addiction. I never would believe we would be in a football conference with OU when I was at UConn, but I never believed we would have all these hoop NCs either. Out of our hands, but we gotta get this!

Reaction Score
That string of tweets tells me JW doesn't know any more than we do.
This is what I really got also. Guesses based on information from supposed insiders. How close are these insiders to the actual presidents?

Reaction Score
It's a hypothetical guess based on bits and pieces of info he is hearing. The fact he has to go out and state he isn't a Cincy homer yet writes for a Cincy based paper and covers the Cincy beat means he is trying to hit his audience with his tweets.

Reaction Score
Seems like he has tidbits of info from a few decent sources that he's piecing together into a moderately educated guess. Better than a guy in his basement, but by no means REALLY inside info.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Last week Feldman and Mandel - who work for one of the companies connected to all this: said on their podcast nobody has anything to report - there is nothing leaking out of anywhere and it's been impossible to get anything. Their sources are coaches and AD's and the Presidents aren't telling them anything. They said there is one writer (non-sports) who has insight but didn't mention them and I didn't know who or what they were referring to.

Anyone professional who thinks they have anything is just being manipulated by someone trying to further their own agenda. This league is such a mess - I don't even think the Presidents really know what is going to happen.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Last week Feldman and Mandel - who work for one of the companies connected to all this: said on their podcast nobody has anything to report - there is nothing leaking out of anywhere and it's been impossible to get anything. Their sources are coaches and AD's and the Presidents aren't telling them anything. They said there is one writer (non-sports) who has insight but didn't mention them and I didn't know who or what they were referring to.

Anyone professional who thinks they have anything is just being manipulated by someone trying to further their own agenda. This league is such a mess - I don't even think the Presidents really know what is going to happen.
Maybe it's not a mess at all, and they are doing an excellent job of keeping the discussion behind closed doors.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe it's not a mess at all, and they are doing an excellent job of keeping the discussion behind closed doors.

The Big 12 isn't a mess? With that post - we have seen every crackpot statement that can possibly be made on conference realignment. You can shut it down now Fishy.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone in the media has a clue as to what is going. I'm pretty sure the Big 12 doesn't know all of what is going to eventually happen. I guess BTM is right when he says that there is horse trading but anyone could figure that out once UH started to be forced into the arrangement. In the end, I think BYU will be left out. UC, UConn, UH and a 4th team will make it in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom