Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Provo avg temp November 52
East Hartford avg temp November 51
Provo to Austin 1600 miles
Hartford to Austion 1200 miles

I'm not trying to lessen our chances here, but Austin is 1,864 miles from Hartford via the interstates, which probably makes it about 1,800 via the air. That's still no appreciable difference compared to Provo, but it is further.

Reaction Score
Listening to Tramel...."if the Huskies football program was where it was six years ago, there'd be a lot stronger case..."

Man, these people are so short-sighted. Holy crap.

Worse yet, CR qualification has become a moving target. When Syracuse was taken in 2011, they come off a s#!tful 5 year football stretch. When Rutgers was taken in 2012, it was all about cable boxes - no one even mentioned their GD sports. We bring more than either of them to CR.

Reaction Score
Provo avg temp November 52
East Hartford avg temp November 51
Provo to Austin 1600 miles
Hartford to Austion 1200 miles
Umm, I think you might have the numbers somewhat reversed there. As the crow flies, Storrs is actually 1625 miles from Austin while Provo is 1043. We might be able to make the case that it's not all that much of a difference when flying.

Reaction Score
Is there anyway 13 works for football? UConn and Cincy in all sports and BYU as football only? Does it have to be 2 divisions of 7?

Reaction Score
Is there anyway 13 works for football? UConn and Cincy in all sports and BYU as football only? Does it have to be 2 divisions of 7?

If you have 13 teams for football, then (I) you can't play 9 conference games -- you have to play an even number, and (in) you can't have divisions where everyone plays everyone in their division once and the same number of games against teams from the other divisions. You can only make it work with one division of 13 and an even number of teams.

So you could do it, but I don't see why anyone would voluntarily do it.

jho

Reaction Score
FOI info. The Board of Trustees regular August meeting is next Wednesday morning. While there is nothing related to the Big 12 on the agenda, items can be added to the agenda with the consent of 2/3's of the membership. Special meetings can be called provided there is 24-hour notice.

Reaction Score
So, if rumors are true that the TV networks - NAMELY THE ONE IN OUR BACK YARD GETTING CONNECTICUT TAX BREAKS - end up being a significant reason that the expansion is being halved from four to two and we aren't in the two while we may have had a much stronger case getting in the four, then we can unequivocally blame once and for all ESPN for UConn AD's potential demise.
Feel free to tell me where I'm being overly dramatic here.

Reaction Score
So, if rumors are true that the TV networks - NAMELY THE ONE IN OUR BACK YARD GETTING CONNECTICUT TAX BREAKS - end up being a significant reason that the expansion is being halved from four to two and we aren't in the two while we may have had a much stronger case getting in the four, then we can unequivocally blame once and for all ESPN for UConn AD's potential demise.

I made this case yesterday. They are on the wrong end of every decision that could help us and face almost zero public pressure. Seems we are a lock if the expansion is 4 and possibly heading to yet another runner up miss out if it's 2.

Reaction Score
ESPN has us on a leash. They feed us kibble and have no interest in letting us run free and reach our potential. They're the enemy in our midst. They want to keep us down.

Reaction Score

And having the right to "unequivocally blame once and for all ESPN" gets you what exactly?

Reaction Score
Honestly, as a private business trying to maximize revenues and profits purposely excluded UConn if they have a business model that says going to 4 and including UConn would increase both?

In theory the governor should have placed incentives for tax credits based on supporting UConn's P5 entrance

And having the right to "unequivocally blame once and for all ESPN" gets you what exactly?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A sense of moral superiority?

I'm just spitballing here.

I'm waiting for us actually to be left out before I summon up a pitchforks and torches post. I do resent that ESPN hasn't helped us in the past when it was within their ability to do so. I do think that their failure to do so, if that is the case, ought to be when they ask for any future largesse from the State of Connecticut. They took millions from taxpayers. Leaving UConn outsided the P5 cost Connecticut taxpayers millions more.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Someone to blame.
Someone to hate.
Someone to direct my ire at.
Hmmn, very lyrical. I feel like there's a song in there somewhere.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don't know if muckraking is part of this process but I hope someone at UConn is pointing out how 2 big knocks on UConn apply to BYU as well. Also highlight how UConn culturally fits much better

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
ESPN has us on a leash. They feed us kibble and have no interest in letting us run free and reach our potential. They're the enemy in our midst. They want to keep us down.
ESPN is the man. We can't let the man keep us down.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
In theory the governor should have placed incentives for tax credits based on supporting UConn's P5 entrance

It's going to cost ESPN to add more teams. I sure hope our Governor would "incent" them to add UConn by offering some sort of financial package as long as UConn is one of the schools added. It's not like UConn's data metrics doesn't completely support a $30M/yr payout. This would be more of a incentive to pay UConn full and fair market value.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom