Kamilla Cardoso | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kamilla Cardoso

Reaction Score
How would you compare Kamilla Cardoso to Natlie Butler? If I remember correctly Natlie was slow and had terrible hands. I know Kamilla moves pretty good, but I'm not sure about anything else.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Her recruitment is wide open... she’s considering UConn, SC, Tennessee, Louisville, Florida St, UCLA, Kentucky, NC State and more... I wouldn’t read into another board saying she’s leaning this place or that place but I do think she may be down to 5 but hasn’t released anything yet. considering the fact that UConn hasn’t been at her recent games in Atlanta I’m not sure if their is still a connection but I definitely don’t think it’s just down to MSU and TN.

This should tell us something. I suspect it won't though, at least not here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Her recruitment is wide open... she’s considering UConn, SC, Tennessee, Louisville, Florida St, UCLA, Kentucky, NC State and more... I wouldn’t read into another board saying she’s leaning this place or that place but I do think she may be down to 5 but hasn’t released anything yet. considering the fact that UConn hasn’t been at her recent games in Atlanta I’m not sure if their is still a connection but I definitely don’t think it’s just down to MSU and TN.
I saw the post regarding her as a strong Mississippi State lean and it was after E Martinez left for Texas. Obviously I have no way to verify whether he was “in the know” or just hopeful. I’ll just pray he is correct as I think she is an incredibly gifted player with physical measurements you can’t teach. His reasoning was that K Cardoso was impressed with Coach Schaefer’s development of T McCowan. Again I have no way to verify that. However I think K Cardoso’s game is way more developed at this stage. One of T McCowan’s most underrated attributes was her ability to pass out of the post, especially finding the free player as a result of a double team. K Cardoso already does that. I think she is also more fluid in her movement. Regardless of what she ultimately does she is Mississippi State’s number one target for the coming recruiting cycle.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I saw the post regarding her as a strong Mississippi State lean and it was after E Martinez left for Texas. Obviously I have no way to verify whether he was “in the know” or just hopeful. I’ll just pray he is correct as I think she is an incredibly gifted player with physical measurements you can’t teach. His reasoning was that K Cardoso was impressed with Coach Schaefer’s development of T McCowan. Again I have no way to verify that. However I think K Cardoso’s game is way more developed at this stage. One of T McCowan’s most underrated attributes was her ability to pass out of the post, especially finding the free player as a result of a double team. K Cardoso already does that. I think she is also more fluid in her movement. Regardless of what she ultimately does she is Mississippi State’s number one target for the coming recruiting cycle.
That would give MS St 6 players over 6’4” or better all looking for PT at the same time, assuming no one transfers. Not sure how Vic will be able to keep everyone happy. One thing is for sure. The Bulldogs will intimidate the hell out of teams when they come out of the locker room for warmups.

Reaction Score
That would give MS St 6 players over 6’4” or better all looking for PT at the same time, assuming no one transfers. Not sure how Vic will be able to keep everyone happy. One thing is for sure. The Bulldogs will intimidate the hell out of teams when they come out of the locker room for warmups.
I think that would give them 5 players 6'4" or over: Jessika Carter, Sidney Cooks, Promise Taylor, and Yemiyah Morris. As @Charliebball mentioned, she needs development. From what I've seen she isn't a player who is going to come right in and start at a Mississippi State, South Carolina, UConn, Baylor, etc. level of school. But unlike Tennessee, who brought in a pair of posts, and South Carolina who has Boston, Mississippi State didn't bring in any bigs in 2019, so essentially two years of being the most experienced post there. A front court of Cardoso, Boston, and Amihere, plus Saxton for a few years would be scary! At UConn, though if she is still being recruited is I guess up in the air, she would be a solid backup for ONO.

I still like Dalayah Daniels for UConn too. Needs coached up a little bit (where better for that?), but she has really good size at 6'4", but she moves really well and is pretty athletic. I think she can be better than Brink because of her frame. Been a long time since anyone has heard anything in regards to her recruitment.

They sure won't be intimidating Oregon State, who will have four players over 6'6" :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DaBball is correct. It is five. However S Cooks is projected as a PF and Coach Schaefer has referenced several times he wants J Carter to also play PF. Regardless you are correct it would be difficult.

Reaction Score
sorry to say it for the hundredth time but the recruiting task will be almost complete with Cardoso, Daniels or somebody with an imposing defensive presence who at a minimum could spell ONO against teams with serious inside talent............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
DaBball is correct. It is five. However S Cooks is projected as a PF and Coach Schaefer has referenced several times he wants J Carter to also play PF. Regardless you are correct it would be difficult.
I assumed Cooks would play the 4. My guess is that Taylor plays the 5. Then Vic needs one more Big to spell both. Beyond that, Vic wants quick, aggressive G/W’s to pressure the ball all over the court. That tells me that he could have at least 2 Bigs that aren’t going to see much playing time.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If these teams with multiple bigs are recruiting more bigs what does that tell you about the bigs they have on their roster???? IMO they most likely arent starting for what ever reasons. Gotta wonder. We know how long it takes to get bigs up to speed in WCBB. If you have more then 2 its gonna take a long time only because you cant play more then too good bigs at the same time. JMO folks UConn has one big in ONO and shes good and imo from what Ive heard shes made alot of improvement over the summer and I cant wait to see her this season .

Reaction Score
If these teams with multiple bigs are recruiting more bigs what does that tell you about the bigs they have on their roster???? IMO they most likely arent starting for what ever reasons. Gotta wonder. We know how long it takes to get bigs up to speed in WCBB. If you have more then 2 its gonna take a long time only because you cant play more then too good bigs at the same time. JMO folks UConn has one big in ONO and shes good and imo from what Ive heard shes made alot of improvement over the summer and I cant wait to see her this season .

We can't assume that ONO will do it all herself underneath. We can't put all of the pressure on one kid to score inside, to rebound, and to block. Oh, and to stay out of foul trouble. Oh, and not to get tired.

A team with lots of bigs might not have all AA bigs. But those teams in the past- Baylor, M-State, Oregon, etc.- have challenged for the national championship.

There's a reason that bigs are valuable. We need a couple more.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We can't assume that ONO will do it all herself underneath. We can't put all of the pressure on one kid to score inside, to rebound, and to block. Oh, and to stay out of foul trouble. Oh, and not to get tired.

A team with lots of bigs might not have all AA bigs. But those teams in the past- Baylor, M-State, Oregon, etc.- have challenged for the national championship.

There's a reason that bigs are valuable. We need a couple more.
Just who is assuming that Liv will do it all underneath? Meg & Evelyn are pretty decent inside players, and UConn has a bunch of big guards and wings to pitch in. More to the point, for the coming season, I need to once again quote Coach Norman Dale. "I would hope you would support who we are, not who we are not."

Reaction Score
Just who is assuming that Liv will do it all underneath? Meg & Evelyn are pretty decent inside players, and UConn has a bunch of big guards and wings to pitch in. More to the point, for the coming season, I need to once again quote Coach Norman Dale. "I would hope you would support who we are, not who we are not."

seems highly unlikely any additional players will be joining this team..........................so they gotta go with what they got..................it's really the following season I'm wondering about........................

Reaction Score
sorry to say it for the hundredth time but the recruiting task will be almost complete with Cardoso, Daniels or somebody with an imposing defensive presence who at a minimum could spell ONO against teams with serious inside talent..

I agree. With commitments already from McClean, Bueckers, Muhl, and Poffenbarger, there is not much work left on the recruiting front for the next couple of years. I would like to see them finish out by adding Cardoso and Edwards for 2020 and Fudd and DeBerry in 2021.

Reaction Score
This should answer everyone’s questions..... interesting to not see UT but maybe she’s taken a couple unofficial visits.

I thought the same thing regarding an unofficial visits to possibly Tennessee and Louisville.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I agree. With commitments already from McClean, Bueckers, Muhl, and Poffenbarger, there is not much work left on the recruiting front for the next couple of years. I would like to see them finish out by adding Cardoso and Edwards for 2020 and Fudd and DeBerry in 2021.

One to two more for 2020 and at least three more for 2021.

Cardoso and Edwards would work very nicely for '20, thank you.

2021 is filled with possibilities:

Wings/Guards (Citron, Von Oelhoffen, Wolfenbarger, Rivers), Pure Guards (Ducharme, Bigby, McPherson, Verhulst), and Forwards (Hollingshead, Lattimore, DeBerry, Iriafen)

Reaction Score
not sure why she would be interested in SC with Boston and Amihere already signed unless she wants to spend max minutes on the bench
Or MSST, for that matter. Syracuse and Ohio St have plenty of foreign players so that may play a part in the basketball interest. However, the only school out of the 3 top tier teams (UConn, MSST & SCaro) that offers a lot of potential playing time because of depth is UConn. We need a 2020 big, she would fill that void and get lots of opportunity to get playing time. We have the firepower, we just need more post depth. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
not sure why she would be interested in SC with Boston and Amihere already signed unless she wants to spend max minutes on the bench

SC will only have 8 scholarship players next year and we can definitely use another center to play alongside Boston.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
How would you compare Kamilla Cardoso to Natlie Butler? If I remember correctly Natlie was slow and had terrible hands. I know Kamilla moves pretty good, but I'm not sure about anything else.

With all due respect, Cardoso is definitely not Natalie Butler. Cardoso is better offensively, defensively, in the paint, better athleticism.. pretty much wherever... Cardoso actually runs the floor well for a post player too. Reminds me of Alaina Coates but not as agile.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, Cardoso is definitely not Natalie Butler. Cardoso is better offensively, defensively, in the paint, better athleticism.. pretty much wherever... Cardoso actually runs the floor well for a post player too. Reminds me of Alaina Coates but not as agile.
Would L Cox from Baylor be a good comparison?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Very few true Bigs get to the college level with all the skills necessary to have an immediate impact. Stewie and perhaps a few others were exceptions. In HS, players 6’4”+ can basically hang around the basket and dominate most opponents with size alone. Even the most talented Bigs usually take 1-2 years to develop the conditioning and skill set required to be solid college players.

When evaluating HS Bigs, college coaches are seldom looking at anything close to the finished product. What they hope to see is good hands and feet, the ability to run the court, athleticism and effort. Liv checked all those boxes which is why UConn and others were so high on her out of HS.

The college development of Cardoso and others will depend to a significant degree on two factors: coaching and opportunity. Certainly, Vic has a great track record of developing players at MS St. At the same time, the opportunity to get sufficient PT early with the Bulldogs is in question with all the Bigs already standing in line in Starkville.

Coaching without the opportunity to play hinders a Big’s development. Beatrice Mompremier, who has thrived after leaving Baylor for Miami, comes to mind. On the other hand, opportunity without coaching seldom works out. Think Mercedes Russell at TN. In order to fully reach her potential, Cardoso needs to carefully consider which programs will provide her with both top coaching as well as the opportunity for PT.

Reaction Score

I wonder if fans of these teams that have "all of these bigs" go on their respective forums and say, "we need small guards". :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom